Having problems with Shutterstock?

Shutterstock Customer Service Contacts

1300 136 849 (Australia)
8800 100 6408 (Russia)
+1 866 663 3954 (USA & Canada)
+1 646 419 4452 (International)
+44 208 068 3593 (United Kingdom)
+64 32 887 039 (New Zealand)
+43 800 802 006 (Austria)
+32 80 026 230 (Belgium)
+31 208 085 151 (Netherlands)
+41 800 002 684 (Switzerland)
+852 58 085 149 (Hong Kong)
+65 31 638 417 (Singapore)
+82 808 221 327 (South Korea)
+54 115 078 9715 (Argentina)
+57 800 755 0159 (Colombia)
350 Fifth Avenue, 21st Floor
New York, New York

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Shutterstock Customer Service. Initial Shutterstock complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Shutterstock above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Shutterstock. Discuss the issues you have had with Shutterstock and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Shutterstock Complaints & Reviews

ShutterStockFree trial - automatic yearly subscription

I signed up for a free trial on Shutterstock for 1 month. And immediately unchecked all the boxes that want you to proceed in a paid subscription after one month. I know how these platforms work and really take care. A few months later I found out there had been a direct debit from my account each month. Without any notice. [censored]! I blocked my bank account for Shutterstock and notified them that I wanted my money back. Instead they asked me extra money. In the end it was solved, only costing me 35 euro's. But still, for something I did not sign up for and never used. Here's the correspondence. Maybe it will help someone.

SHUTTERSTOCK
Hello Ralph,
Thanks for reaching out and for giving Shutterstock a try.

We're sorry that the offer did not meet your needs at this time. I checked your account and I see that the free trial period has already expired and you are now on an annual commitment plan which is billed monthly.

One of the benefits that comes with that annual plan is the discounted monthly rate you receive in exchange for a one year commitment to our service.

If you need to cancel your annual commitment early, we'll need to charge a plan price adjustment by collecting the difference between the regular monthly rate and the discounted rate you have received so far. Of course, this calculation excludes the first month, which was and remains completely free.

Your discounted monthly rate with annual commitment: €29

Monthly rate without annual commitment: €49

Monthly price difference: €20

Months subscribed so far: 3

Total discount you received so far: €60

Once we process this charge, your plan will be canceled and you will no longer be charged for service, however any remaining downloads will be available for you to use until your plan expires.

In order to proceed with the plan cancellation, I'll need to receive your written consent to charge the €60, plus any applicable tax, to the primary payment method listed on your account Billing page. If I do not hear from you, the plan will remain active and the total amount of savings listed above will increase with each additional month of service.

Alternatively, if you would like to continue your annual subscription until the year commitment ends, simply turn off auto renewal on the Plans page to prevent your plan from renewing an additional year term. In this case, there is no need for you to reply to this email.

If you have any other questions, I am always glad to help.

ME
I never signed up for an annual plan. After signing up for the free trial I cancelled the subscription to make sure I did not end up in a yearly subscription. I have no idea why that did not come through and only found out about the yearly subscription when I saw the direct debits on my bank account. I never downloaded an image since the trial period as you can see in your data. It does not feel fair being charged for something I did not sign up for and have not made use of.

For now I request to stop the subscription. I understand that you will not be willing to pay back the first month (35, 09). And want to charge even more, up to 60 euro's. This doesn't seem right. But I also want to fix this together. I do intend to make use of the platform in the future on ad hoc basis. My proposal is that you keep the 35, 09 (first month) and stop the subscription that I never used. And we'll start over. Otherwise I will pay the additional 25 euro's and then close my account and will never use it again. But that's not an ideal situation for either of us I guess.

Hope you can also relate to my situation and meet in the middle with me.

Kind regards,
Ralph

SHUTTERSTOCK

Hello Ralph,

Thanks for reaching out to Shutterstock.

Thanks for waiting. I see you signed up for a free trial on September 16th that allowed you to download 10 images during your first month for free. The promotion indicated on the sign up page, that it had to be canceled before the end of the first month to avoid being charged. I see that you did in fact turn off the Annual Auto-renewal on Sept 16, but as mentioned on the website this does not stop the monthly billing, it only prevents the subscription from renewing for another 12 month commitment next year. During first 28 or 29 days there was a "Cancel Plan Early" directly underneath the Autorenewal button which should have been selected. But not to worry. you're all set now .

As a one time courtesy, we have waived the early annual plan cancellation adjustment fee and ended your subscription. There will be no more payments. Unfortunately we will not be able to provide you with any refunds since the annual plan and cancellation charges were provided on the promotion signup page and you have contacted us outside of the refundable timeframe. Your plan and any of the 10 downloads remaining from the last month's set will expire/be removed from your account after Jan 16th. Please check plan details section for exact hour and minute. As there are no more payments for this plan, you may now remove your credit card from the billing section if you wish.

If you change your mind or have additional content needs in the future, please don't hesitate to come back! We also have music tracks and video clips.

ShutterStockUnethical behaviour

If Shutterstock had an ounce decency, or even listened to the reams of customers calling for it - they would deactivate their auto-renewal.

Thousands of loyal customers are being scammed and tricked out of money, and this company does not care, in fact I am pretty sure its is part of their business model.

There is no need to have auto-renewal activated by default, other than to line their pockets while customers are unaware of their bank accounts being emptied. No matter how many times you disable auto-renewal, it defaults to "on" every time you buy another image package.

The only thing worse than their underhanded tactics is their complete arrogance. It takes a lot of balls to be so blatantly dishonest and then still be arrogant about it.

This company needs to be brought under legal review.

ShutterStockUnauthorized credit card charges

I was charged $49 twice on 4/7/2020. I have transacted no business with this company within the past 12 months, so I was very surprised to see these charges. I have notified my credit card company and the charges are being disputed. I also had to close that credit card, and now have to wait 7 - 10 days for the new card to arrive all because of Shutterstock.

Apr 01, 2020

ShutterStock — Unethical behaviour

Dear SS, I just can't belive what has happend to me.My account has been deleted for similars. I work...

ShutterStockDeceptive billing practices at shutterstock

Literally the worst experience with this company. They have some auto renewal feature I can completely unaware of and charged my credit card 11 times without my consent. When I inquired the call center was cagey and difficult to deal with (also clearly not based domestically) and refused me any help. When I asked for more information on the escalation process nothing was provided. Protect your personal information this company has no accountability and incredibly deceptive business practices.

ShutterStockemail received

I received an email from shutterstock saying that I was charged for some stock. First the email belongs to me and in the email the information used is not mine at all for this account and not even in the country I am in. Someone is using my email address and i have no business with shutterstock at all. The email came from [protected]@e.shutterstock.com

email received

Jun 10, 2019

ShutterStock — automatic renewal of policy a scam and no ability to cancel

Hello, Shutter stock use very tricky means to sign you up for a subscriptions making you believe it is a...

ShutterStockcan't cancel my account / they charge you for cancellation

I've not used my shutterstock account for months already. Of course when the annual mark came in (April 2019), they charge my card without any notice. So when I see this in my card records, I request for cancellation as the account is of no use to me. They are quick to get back to their customers with a cancellation fee, quite unheard of in this day and age as online accounts/plans can be deleted at the user's discretion.

From previous sources, this cancellation fee was 100usd, howeverthey've doubled this amount already. Anyway, I'm not willing to pay this charge for simple cancellation of an account which has been dormant for months.

can't cancel my account / they charge you for cancellation

ShutterStockshutterstock 1 month pack

Scam.

Autorenew on by default - turn it off.

Shutterstock does not send a monthly renewal email or send a monthly invoice as is usual because they know they are scamming. It just keeps billing your card.

1 month pack turns into several month billing.

Autorenew must be clear and conspiciuous - can you find it?

Customer support does not respond. On second email they ask for details they already have (user id, credit card) and after 2 days someone from India replies that they cannot give a refund because ... autorenew is on by default, and hope you understand.

Shutterstock then stops answering emails.

Jan 02, 2019

ShutterStock — shutterstock auto renewal plan is on. you may not realize that!!

We have the same problem. Shutterstock's has the auto renewal button checked, and this year Shutterstock just...

ShutterStock — will let my 6,000+ follower know that shutterstock is a scam

My experience is like everyone, no need to say. Was tricked to purchase the $29 plan and now it's a recurrant...

ShutterStock — auto renewal

Dear Sir/ Madam, First I wanna tell You that I am using Shutterstock for years. I was always choosing it...

ShutterStock — automatic opt-in for auto-renewal

I'm a graphic designer for a non-profit. Last June, I needed to download one photo from Shutterstock, so I...

ShutterStock — auto-renewal/cancellation

Called to speak to a representative about canceling my plans: the image on demand and the $29 monthly...

ShutterStock — Shutterstock is charging for renewal even if option is turned off

The company, which makes everything complicated to get a filedownload, is altough charging you for renewal...

ShutterStock — Unauthorised credit card charges

Date : 29.03.2017 Oman, Phone: +[protected] My name is Anup it was found that OMR 88.853 has been debited...

ShutterStockAuto renewal

I purchased 2 stock photos from shutter stock last year & now they charged my credit card again for "another year of service" - I never signed up for anything yearly, I only purchased a few photos. Apparently they put everyone on AutoRenewal & recharge you each year!!! Seriously! This is absolute fraud! All I wanted was a few photos for a website... not a headache year after year being scammed by these people!

I will never do business with them EVER AGAIN... and neither should anyone else! it's absolute fraud!

ShutterStock — Can't cancel plan

I have registered on Shutterstock for the 1-Year Subscription, Standard License with 750 Downloads per Month...

ShutterStockThey scammed me and stole my money!

I was signed up for this scam and I when I contacted them I told them that I was not interested in their service and did not want to renew my account. Shutterstock assured me that they will not renew my account and that I have nothing to worry about but that was just a scam. Next month I got a charge on my card for an auto renewal of my subscription. I was so angry and demanded all of my money back and even threatened them with the police, but they were so ignorant and simply did not care. They said there was no way they could refund me. What a joke of a company!! Don't deal with them if you don't want to be robbed!

ShutterStock — Thieves

Do not deal with Shutterstock they are real thieves and they use this well known automatic renewal scam! I...