Sears / Craftsman Chain Sawdefective product

Chain saw was bought for christmas present and used one day and quit working, looked in manual then removed cover the air filter was in wrong and on looking further metal shavings through out. Took back to Sears and they would not help me refered me to service department store. Once there they say can not do anything for you because passed 90 days. Plus if there is metal shavings not covered anyway. I Ask WHY !, I was told passed 90 days, I explained was bought in cold of winter and spring is time to cut trees. Ask what about life time warrarnty was told its for tools only. A chainsaw is a tool for landscapers and wood cutters just because its not a wrench and I am not a mechanic my chainsaw is not covered. Its not like its been used months on end and cut hundreds of trees I CUT 3 small TREES ONE Day. Why is it money is spent to buy a product and if its NO good it doen't matter.

• Mi
    Mike DiPaolo Jun 10, 2009

I also bought a Sear 18" chain saw. Shortly after using it failed to start. They repaired it and stated I didn't use oil with gas. I disagreed and stated I used 40:1 as stated in manual. Chain saw again failed. Sears states cylinder is scored. To repair will cost $146 dollars. I told them to keep chain saw. I have a Farmer Partner chain saw which is over 30 years old and it still runs and has never been serviced.

This Sears chain saw does not the job and I strongly recommend not buying one. Sears will not stand behind it!!

• Br
    Bruce Porsche May 12, 2010

I believe Sears has changed their policy on warranty products. I purchased work boots and the soles on the boots cracked so I brought them back. Sears told me there is only a 90 day warranty on them, so I'm out of luck. Their products seem cheaper now. I bought another pair but didn't work out, they did let me return them for a new different pair. The new pair did'nt work out, so I returned them, and got my money back. I went some where else and bought American made Thanks Bruce

• Mo
    mowerman41 Sep 22, 2010

Do not worry all i am in the process of moving from north carolina to lawton oklahoma been in the ope business since 1988 once i get there you will know im there cause i will find a newspaper and put a ad in there that we are open for business i will be glad to help customers where these box stores wont help

• To
    Tony Harrington May 04, 2012

I think Seare has did craftsman a great disservice by taking on the craftsman product and iowing their standards of
    craftsmans service to the publice. And by changing the return policy to a 90 day warranty, they have killed the trade mark
    and lowered the true value of the belife that craftsmans get the JOB done. Because we paid good money for a weed wacker
    which has not work right since we paid for it .
    It has also made me alot less pleased with Seare customer service, and the chance of us shopping there alot less.

• Mi
    mike di paolo May 04, 2012

This is in addition to my comment posted on JUne 10, 2009. I was disappoinedt with Sears original response to my problem. I still believe that particular model chain saw is defective and the original people I talked to were not helpful. I wrote a letter to Sears maagement and management responded and replaced my chain saw with an up graded model which works perfectly well. I am very happy with Sears final response to my problem. I did post an update, I am not an expert on how to use some parts of the web, but my update was that Sears responded to the problem and I am pleased with the result.