Complaints & Reviews

lemon

Consumer’s Report has our Craftsman Snow Thrower model (536.881651) as a high-end example. I suppose every snow thrower model has a lemon. Our Craftsman Snow Thrower seems to be that proverbial lemon.

We have been able to have many hours of use, for the perpetual problems that we’ve faced over the three years that we’ve had our Craftsman Snow Thrower.

At one point we asked to have our Snow Thrower replaced, but instead, the repairman just told us to buy another maintenance agreement. If we would have had it replaced at this point, it would have still been under warranty! We bought a one-year maintenance agreement after the first one expired. Then, we bought another one-year agreement. Well, our current maintenance agreement has now expired and we have a new problem.

Instead of getting a new maintenance agreement, we would rather just have a Craftsman Snow Thrower that will actually work!

covering up the truth

i went to sears november the 28th 2010 to look at their craftsman hand tools as a christmas gift idea. almost...

chain saw quality

I purchased a Craftsman 18" chain saw in the fall 2 years ago. I paid app. $120.00. I didn't use it that fall but the sale was soooo good I couldn't pass it up. I did use it the following spring for a couple of hours and was pleased with it's ease of operation. In the fall I need to use again and on the third pull, the starter rope jammed up and would not release. I brought it to Sears for repair. It took two weeks to repair and cost $85.00. Now, remember, I used it for approximately two hours on rather small stuff (the largest being about 2.5-3"). Now, having finished my job with other tools, and because the saw sat again over the winter, it was now out of warrantee but still had been used only a couple hours. This past spring, I used the saw again for about two hours, cleaned it up and stored it. A few days ago I again took it out to clear some sumac and other brush in the back yard. Once again, on the third pull, the starter rope jammed. I took the cover off myself and found that a screw was too tight a got it to release quite easily. However, the recoil spring popped out and I could not get it back together. Now I face another $85.00 repair bill. Is there something wrong with this picture? Sears gave me no satisfaction whatsoever (after all it is out of warrantee). $160.00 to repair a saw that cost $120.00, was used for about four hours and still looks brand new is just too much. The old adage that "they don't make things like they used to" is just no comfort. I have always been a craftsman user (as were my dad and brothers) but because of the product quality (planned obsolescence) I am seriously considering never doing business with Sears again.

can't get anyone to help me with parts

I have tried to get information on parts to fix my craftsman 1000W Tripod work light without any success. At...

Service department

I brought my table saw at the Winnipeg Sales and Service for service nine weeks ago. I'm trying to find out the approximate wait time and estimated repair costs but seem to be hitting a brick wall at every attempt to try and get that. Since there is NO PHONE number available for customers to the Winnipeg Sears Service department I initially called the 1-800# and spoke to an individual from out of country and possibly out of continent. I've since gone in person to the Sales and Service office on three different occasions to try and get that information. They always tell me "someone from Sears in Regina, Canada will call you within two hours". I'm still waiting for the phone call. During my last visit to the service center I requested to speak to the manager; they told me that was not possible! I then requested the manager's business card and was told she didn't have one! I asked for the manager's name but that was also refused . I left the office with no answers to my two questions and a refusal to have someone from management guide the consumer as to what steps to take next. I just feel like I'm being stepped on with nobody to turn to for help.

The Lawnmower

I am still shaking from the incident I just had with this lawnmower. Smoke started billowing out of it...and then it caught fire!!! I had to run for my life because I thought it was about to explode. I raced fast to the front steps & found a heavy mat & threw it over the mower. I called Sears, naturally (since it's under warranty) and they wanted me to put the burning lawnmower in the back of my car & bring it to them...I'm not making this up!!! I purchased this mower at the end of the season last year, so I've only used it this season ...and not all that much since we had very little rain here this summer.

It's a rotary, self propelled 650 Series Briggs & Stratton Engine, model #917, 376231.

Is anyone aware of these other incidents like this?

[Resolved] zero turn mower

I have had my mower for one whole year and have only been able to use it ten times due to it being a total lemon! On delivery day (August 09) the battery was dead and so the drivers had to jump start it with my truck, when I went to use it a week later it wouldn't start so I called the store where I purchased it to be told I would have to get a service call (note the blades hadn't even touched the grass yet), I went into the store and persueded the manager to get someone from the store to come out, OK so new battery installed. In May I had to get a service call as the battery was dead again! only to find out that the starter and regulater were faulty, waited a week for the parts to arrive and have them fitted. Here we are in August and the lawnmower doesn't work again! this time the engine keeps flooding, when I called the service dept I was asked if I had checked the spark plug, had fresh gas and the oil was good, all had been checked and a call was booked for two weeks later only to get a call on the service day ten minutes before they were due to say they couldn't make it and I needed to reschedule, I have just come from the store were I purchased the mower and was told that an engineer needs to come out four times before I can get a replacement lawnmower! good job I purchased the extended warranty even though it has a two year repair or replace. I will never again purchase anything from Sears the customer service is terrible and so are the products they sell.

RESOLVED

• Updated by SearsCare · Sep 21, 2010

Dear Lousy service and product,

Please accept my apology for my tardy response to your post. I was saddened to hear of the problems your new Craftsman mower has given you in the year you've had it. It definitely is not normal for a new tractor/mower to have the reoccurring problems such as yours. I'm also truly sorry for the scheduling and service issues you've encountered. We do our best to honor and maintain our service appointment schedule, but cannot leave a service call in the middle of repair to make the next appointment. We would not do that to you or any of our customers. I'm Scott with Sears Cares Escalations; we'd like to help. At your convenience please contact my office via email at [email protected] so that we can assist with resolving this issue. Please provide us a contact number and the phone number the mower was purchased under and we will call you at your convenience. In addition, include your screen name (Lousy service and product) in the email so we can reference to your case.

Scott J.
    Sears Cares

[Resolved] failure to honor warranty

Less than three months ago I purchased a Craftsman 18 volt Cordless Weedeater from Kmart. Since the battery...

junk product

I purchased a 18.5 hp riding mower from sears the summer of 2005 it lasted 1 month past the warranty, blew up, and I maintained this mower and treated it like a baby, then I called sears to see how much a replacement motor was and they told me it was 100.00 less than I paid for the entire tractor. What a scam they have going, since I paid 1200.00 for the thing there was no way I was going to pay 1100.00 for a moter, stay away from craftsman tractors, they are junk, mine is sitting in my front yard by a bust road with a big lemon sign on it for all the world to see!!! Sears offered no help to me so I will do everything I can to prevent people from shopping there!!

repairs made that were unauthorized

On July 14, 2010 I brought by Sears Craftsman lawnmower to the Sears store in Lake Charles, LA for repair...

lawn mower will just stop running

I purchased a Craftsman Lawn Tractor Model No. 917.28714 DLS 3500 Limited Edition In April of 2007. I did not...

Never completed work

This company is extremely overpriced and does very poor quality work. They start the job, make a mess out of...

[Resolved] poor customer service

I bought a Craftsman 54 inch lawn tractor in april of 2009, and within 2 months it broke down. a technician came out to service it, and discovered it was manufactured improperly with a bent frame. He advised Sears, and myself that it be replaced. I fought with Sears for two months on having the tractor replaced, and finally they did so. about a month after repklacing the tractor, it broke down again. The same technician came out and serviced the tractor, and it ran properly again. The winter passed and I used the tractor approximately three times. I stored the tractor in my garage as I always do, and went to use it again. When I did, it would not start. I contacted the service department, and they told me I would have to wait about 2 1/2 weeks for a service. I explained to them that this is unacceptable, and that my lawn cannot be left unmowed for 3-4 weeks. Finally after fighting with them on the phone for about an hour(also being hung up on once), they agreed to come out between 1pm and 5pm of the next day(5/26/10). Coincidently, they did not show up, and at 5:05 pm, I received a call from Sears stating the technichian could not make it. I then called Sears today(5/27/10), and spoke with a woman in customer solutions, who told me that it was a forced appointment and the tech could not make it because he did not finish his route. I explained to her that I felt that they pretty much lied to me and just told me he was coming, so I would leave them alone. I then explained to her that my Grandmother worked for Sears for 30 years, my father has been buying Crftsman products for 40 years, and that I have now been buying Craftsman products for a year now since I have been a homeowner, and that I will never buy a Craftsman product again. She was silent for about ten seconds as if she did not know what to say. Suddenly she told me she was sorry I felt that way, and that there was nothing that could be done. I asked her if there was anyone who I could speak to, that could help me with my problem, and she told me that she was the highest person to speak to. I asked her if she had a boss, and she said she had a manager, but he did not take calls, or return calls. Nice huh? Finally she agreed to force another appointment in for tomorrow(5/28/10) from 8am - 12 pm, and she could not promise the tech would definitely get there. I think I know whats going to happen...Do you have any advice for me?

RESOLVED

• Updated by SearsCare · May 28, 2010

To 402133,
    I found this post and I wanted to reach out and express our concern for this situation. I certainly empathize with what you’ve encountered with our service team. When we set up a service call, we anticipate that we can get the service tech to your home and the service completed within the time frame we give you. With lawn and garden season upon us, there are many people experiencing similar issues and calling for service. Due to the demand, we do not have the capability of getting a technician to your home as quickly as we normally do. We can try to force a call for a specific day, but the technician’s route is already full and we are asking that tech to add another customer. They may or may not be able to make it depending on their work load. We can’t ask a tech to leave another customer’s job partially done in order to make the next appointment. We wouldn’t do that to you or any of our customers. We will try, but we simply cannot guarantee the tech will be able to make it. Of course, this is not an excuse, just an explanation. My name is Brian and I’m part of the Sears Cares Escalations team and we’d like to step in and determine what needs to be done on your behalf so you don’t have to continue to be frustrated by this. We can help with this. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at [email protected] so we can get this resolved for you. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the tractor was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (402133) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Brian J.
    Senior Case Manager
    Sears Cares

• Updated by SearsCare · Apr 22, 2011

Dear achoo,

First allow me to apologize for the delay in responding to your post. What you’ve posted here is not acceptable by any Sears standards and we would like to investigate this as well as resolve the issues. I am sorry that we have put you in such a frustrating situation and we would like the opportunity to make things right.
    My name is Misty with Sears Cares and we would like to help. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at [email protected] so you don’t have to continue to be frustrated by this. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the tractor was originally purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we’ll call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (achoo) listed on your site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Misty H.
    Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

• Ac
    achoo 43 Mar 23, 2011

same problem with sears craftsman tractor my husband changed it's parts after ordering it from another store waited, paid for all the part for weeks before he got them..changed new blades and thought good now it will do the trick. Guess what same problem. Scalloping digging up the ground on one side and not cutting on the other. Paid bukoo money for the trashy tractor. The customer service people are not friendly. They mention money before anything else. $105.00 to look at it on top of it whatever they are going to charge. Disgusting.

• Ac
    achoo Apr 16, 2011

Same problem. My husband changed the parts got the sears guy after waiting for a month. The guy said to look at it we charge $130.00. He said the deck is a manufacturing problem. The scallops on the grass while cutting..We had to ask a mower guy to cut it for 3 weeks each time paying him $100.00 and I think we have to do it for the rest of the summer which is going to cost thousands of dollars! we are retired and cannot afford that kind of money not to mention what it is going to cost to fix it since the repair guy said it is $1500 to fix the deck! What is happening to these tractors. We paid too much money to begin with now all these problems.

Repairs/customer service

I purchase the piece of equipment just one year ago. Along with CRAFTSMAN LAWN MOWER, Model #[protected]...

FAULTY LAWN TRACTOR

IN 2007 I BOUGHT A YS4500 LAUN TRACTOR. IT IS A THREE BLADED MOWER, IT LEAVES A UNMOWED AREA OF ABOUT TWO INCHES BETWEEN THE CENTER BLADE AND THE RIGHT BLADE. THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL SERVICE CALLS MADE ON THIS MOWER, AND TI IS ALWAYS THE SAMEFIX. I AM TOLD TO CHANGE THE BLADES AND KEEP THE RPM UP.I HAVE CHANGED THE BLADES, WHICH I BOUGHT FROM SEARS, MANY TIMES, THIS DOES NOT HELP AT ALL.
THIS PROBLEM IS FROM DAY ONE.
MY NAME IS CLAUD LOCK AND THE MOWER WAS IN MY WIFE'S NAME, RECA LOCK.
CAN BE CONTACED AT [protected]@MSN.COM.

THANKS CLAUD

3333 Beverly Road
Hoffman Estates, IL 60179

February 23, 2010

Dear Mr. Lampert,

I am writing to you to express my displeasure and frustration trying to resolve a problem with a broken cable with a Craftsman 9hp, 28” two-stage snowblower purchased about 5 years ago.

Two weeks ago, the cable that controls one of the chute directions (left-to-right) broke. I contacted Sears to order a replacement cable and was told it would cost $100. The reason given was that the cable is part of an entire chute control assembly. Therefore, a $1-5 item would cost $100 – a price that is about 1/8th the price paid for the entire snowblower.

While I clearly understand there maybe manufacturing advantages if someone purchases complete components and then assembles the full unit from those components. To not allow replacement of items that can readily break leaves the cost to repair a small component out of this world! I am struck by the cost to repair this cable and felt you needed to know that this customer thinks this approach is unacceptable.

I have been a big fan of Sears – buying my washer, dryer, dishwasher, two refrigerators and many other household products from you over the last 3-5 years. This once good relationship is called into question if the products I purchase cost that much to repair. I trust you fully understand that the true cost of ownership for a customer is not just what they pay upfront. It involves maintenance and replacement parts.

I would ask your office to look into this issue and recommend a more appropriate solution to fix my snowblower. Needless to say, it is still snowing in this part of the world and I would welcome a quick resolution to this problem.

Sincerely,
Mike

PS Model # 247.88790, Serial #1I284B10500002, & record #129728.
PSS I am also attaching the email communication with your staff – which is another matter entirely. But, I share this with you as well as I trust you too will find a training moment exists.

poor repair & poor customer service

Sears used the wrong part on my Snowblower. Repair lasted 5 minutes. Then they would not refund my money. Actually, they waited just over a month to tell me that last part. My theory is that they try to bypass the credit-card charge-back period (which I have now proceeded with).

I have noticed that Sears does not seem to care about the hundreds of blogs I have seen complaining about things. I have decided to take a different tactic - a catchy rap about my various problems with Sears on YouTube:

I think some media attention would turn up the heat.

Missing accessories

Today, my husband bought a Craftsman Air Compressor Inflator at a total cost of $47.24 including Va tax.

Upon opening the box, all accessories mentioned outside the box was NOT inside the box - 6 items as follows:
1. 8-ft/2.44M air Hose
2. high flow attachment
3. 3 nozzles
4. collar
5. inflator nozzle
6. sports needle

I already called the store where it was purchased, we have 90 days to return with original receipt. I am sending this email to serve as record of the incident.

snowblower life expectancy

We bought a Sears Craftsman Dual Stage Snowblower from sears in Nov. 29/03 we paid 1799.99 + tax totalling...

throwing oil and has been back for repair this will be the forth time

To whom this may concern

I'm Jim Turner and i purchased a craftsman snow thrower back in 2007 from sears hardware located on Dorothy ln in Dayton Ohio, since i've had this thrower it has been back to the repair center this will be the fourth time for the same problem throwing oil wont stay running.

I used it twice this season on my g-friends and a friends moms concrete driveways, it throw oil all over these two driveways i didn't notice that is was leaking and throwing fluid until after the fact, i don't know how i'm going to get the oil out of these two driveways the driveways are not that old.

All i'm asking is for someone on a corprate level to please help me with this problem they won't replace the thrower they just want to send it out for repair again, i have only ever used craftsman products and am a long time customer of the sears stores.

The manager at the store was very helpful but her hands are tied, can someone please help me with this problem i don't feel comfortable using the same thrower anymore, i would like for it to be replaced and help with cleaning the two driveways. Please help me.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter. Jim Turner p.s. i don't have pictures the only proof i would have would be the repair centers records.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices