Having problems with Scribd?

Scribd Customer Service Contacts

460 Bryant Street, № 100
San Francisco, California
United States - 94107-2594

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Scribd Customer Service. Initial Scribd complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Scribd above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Scribd. Discuss the issues you have had with Scribd and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Scribd Complaints & Reviews

ScribdMonthly subscription / company is deceitful.

They're lying about their unlimited audiobook selection and I feel I'm being spied on
I listen to audiobooks quite often and they will one day have a good variety of audiobook selections to Then posting that a book you're interested in isn't available for another month.
They also monitor my account all of the time!!
I went from having a good selection of books that are current and on everyone else's website to having not one title I would choose.
I'm so upset!!!
I've emailed them several times and I get vague responses

• Scribd's response · Jul 23, 2019

Hi Yvonne, we apologize for any confusion with your Scribd membership. You'll notice the catalog rotate as you read. While some titles may not be immediately available, there will always be something you can read! Please feel free to email us at [email protected] with any questions or concerns, our support team is more than happy to assist you. Thanks!

Scribdscribd inc unauthorized charge

Hi,
    I received a notification from my bank saying that I was charged 8.99 on Saturday, July 20, 2019, from Scribd Inc 415-2. I have never visited the website, I never participated in any free trials or purchases ever. I'm not sure when or why I was charged this and where it is coming from. I am also a Canadian citizen I haven't done any recent online shopping or seen anything that may have been a product or was related to the company. I've not even received a receipt of what was purchased just a notification from my bank telling me that money from my account was taken.

• Scribd's response · Jul 23, 2019

Apologies for the troubles Rija, a member of our support team can definitely help you with this! Please email us at [email protected], then update your review with your ticket number and a member of our team will reach out to you shortly. Thanks!

Scribdstill being charged after cancel subscription 9 months ago

I canceled my membership some time ago and you are still charging my bank a monthly charge for the past 9 months! I want every dime you are illegally taking from my bank refunded to me immediately or I will get my attorney involved. At first you were charging a different debit card and I called to cancel then. And instead of canceling like I requested you took the payment and continued to take money out of my bank account for 9 months! I'm just now seeing this because I didn't have access to online banking and I am so disgusted by this company I could sue!! I want my money back!

• Scribd's response · Jul 23, 2019

Hi Britne! We do not offer phone support, but a member of our support team can definitely look into this for you. Please email us at [email protected], then update your review with your ticket number and a member of our team will reach out to you shortly. Thanks!

Scribdcharging even after cancelling subscription

Hi,

I canceled my subscription on May 2, 2019. While going through my card history I saw I was charged in June and July even thought I cancelled the subscription while ago. When I tried contacting Scribd they told me it's Apple who are charging you not us. I read all these reviews online and it's Scribd and not Apple. There isn't any phone number either where I can talk to someone and get my refund. I'd like to get my refund from last two months.

• Scribd's response · Jul 20, 2019

Hi Shaildeep - Apologies for the troubles, a member of our support team can definitely help you with this! Please email us at [email protected], then update your review with your ticket number and a member of our team will reach out to you shortly. Thanks!

Scribdcharging $8.99 even though canceled

Hello. I have visited Scribd numerous times in hopes of finding new material for the University of Law of where I study. However numerous times have I needed to register my credit card in order to get the full look on the material I needed. This time, I was not aware that previously on when I canceled my membership, It did not actually cancel it so it seems and as I checked today, it wasn't canceled? Even though I know that I have canceled it.. I do rememher being on the Account page and me canceling my membership during the trial period of which I had left like three weeks (I cannot really remember), afterwards which I left Scribd completely because I had no use at that time and only wanted to see it for a day or two because of my studies and the trial version it offered. It charged me this month as soon as I got money in my bank account. It happened yesterday and I immediately checked the support of Scribd info to get a clue on what has happened and so I'm here, contacting you before my right for a refund expires in the 30 day period. I am currently terrified of what happened and scared to even use Sribd's trial again because of this, I honestly do not know how it could have happened..

• Scribd's response · Jul 16, 2019

Hi Felky, we're really sorry to hear about this issue! Our support team can absolutely make this right for you. Please email us at [email protected], then update your review with your ticket number and a member of our team will reach out to you shortly. Thanks!

Jul 02, 2019

Scribd Inc — malaysian government servant retirement form

On the first week of Year 2018, I need to fill up the Malaysian Civil Servant retirement form, I found it...

Scribdscribd charging on my credit card

Hi I am not sure how I got the subsctiption from scribd, i dont remember subscribing but i am being charged 8.99 a month. I have tried looking for the email address that I used in registering on Scribd, unfortunately I was not able to pinpoint if I ever subscribed or not. I tried logging in using my emails and facebook but its new registrations so I am quite confused how I had the subscription on my credit card.
            Can you please help me track which email or login I use.

scribd inc [protected] is the account that is shown on my cc bill.

scribd charging on my credit card

• Scribd's response · Jul 02, 2019

Hi Lalaine! Apologies for the troubles, a member of our support team can definitely help you with this! Please email us at [email protected], then update your review with your ticket number and a member of our team will reach out to you shortly. Thanks!

Scribdbilling

On June 27th, 19 I cancelled by free trial from Scribd inc before the free month trial was up. I got a confirmation email saying that my subscription was cancelled, however, the next day I sill got charged the membership fee.

I want to know why I was charged, and I would like my money back. I did not really use this service, and decided to cancel. I canceled with in your dead line.

Thank you.

• Scribd's response · Jul 01, 2019

Hi there! A member of our support team can definitely look into this for you. Please email us at [email protected], then update your review with your ticket number and a member of our team will reach out to you shortly. Thanks!

Scribdunknown charge

Dear sir/madam,

I wish to know why did scribd.com charged my visa credit card for the followings:

1. 26 February 2019 for usd 8.99
                2. 26 March 2019 for usd 8.99
                3. 26 April 2019 for usd 8.99
                4. 26 May 2019 for usd 8.99
                5. 26 June 2019 for usd 8.99

I declare that I did not purchase any products online from you. And if I have given you my confidential financial info for your advertised "free" trial, then there is no reason for you charge my Mastercard credit card by "hiding" such billing terms in a mass of words. This is preying, scam and unethical business practice.

Please contact me at [protected]@gmail.com

Failing which I will file a formal and legal complaint to the relevant authorities.

My Mastercredit card is [protected]

Regards,

MAMUNUR RAHMAN
                Card holder name

• Scribd's response · Jun 27, 2019

Apologies for the troubles, a member of our support team can definitely help you with this! Please email us at [email protected], then update your review with your ticket number and a member of our team will reach out to you shortly. We also strongly encourage you to remove your full credit card number from this review for your protection. Thank you.

Scribdfraudulent charges

Hi, my Scribd subscription expired way back in 2018. But my Citibank credit card ending with 7121 (India) is charged Rs. 648 INR on 6 May and June 2019.

Citibank customer service intimated me that the merchant has claimed the money under the category, "Standing Instruction". But my Scribd account clearly mentions that my subscription expired on 9/24/2018.

This is nothing but a case of fraudulent transaction amounting to cheating under the Indian Penal Code. Hope Scribd will resolve the issue and refund my money.

• Scribd's response · Jun 21, 2019

Scribdunauthorized debit card charges

Hello,

Please provide me the refund, as you may see I have not used anything of my account.
                    The only one download was in the month of February from my free trail.

There was no intimation from Scribd whatsoever neither before or after any transaction.This is deceiving because there is no option to remove card details as well. Month on month transactions has been made without customers awareness.

My total deductions so far has been 2600/- INR.
                    Requesting you to please provide me the entire refund to the source at the earliest and remove the card details from the account for privacy concerns.

Kindly provide your co-operation,
                    Thanks in advance.

Regards
                    Aman

unauthorized debit card charges
                    unauthorized debit card charges

• Scribd's response · Jun 19, 2019

Scribdunauthorized billing

I have signed up for a free trial on Scribd in October 2018. I found that I couldn't find the things I was looking for and I canceled my trial the following day.

Now, in June 2019, after checking my bank statements I saw that they have been charging me $12.42 a month for a premium membership since October. I have not used the services after my cancellation, nor have I authorized them to charge me.

This is a complete scam and I requested a refund back. Their refund policy states that they can ONLY refund the payment made in the last 30 days, even if it is their fault.

I am waiting to hear from whoever is responsible for this unauthorized billings and I hope they refund my money which is around $100. Otherwise, I am taking this to court.

• Scribd's response · Jun 06, 2019

Scribdfalse advertising "unlimited" fraud

This company claims they allow you to read "unlimited" books with your monthly subscription. This is a huge lie, as when you get to about 5 books, the selection of books available to you is suddenly wiped out. They remove a HUGE percentage of the content that was previously available, and you need to wait till the next billing cycle to read anything decent. You have the bare bones of books to choose from, like the books you get for free when you download ANY book reading app.

"I have confirmed that there are audiobooks available to you, and while some are not, you still have unlimited access to all those titles found using our "Explore" feature."
                        -Jasmine A.
                        Scribd, Inc

Yes, I still have unlimited access... to the smallest selection of books possible. Please see the attached pictures to see the MASSIVE difference in what is available in my "unlimited" paid membership. As you can see, the books are there, and available, just not to ME. I have friends that also use the app, and they can see all the books that I cannot. This is account based discrimination.

The line they are feeding me now is that the 5 books I read had an "impact" on what's available to me. You can see the "impact" it had on the content available to me in the attached pictures. I'm not sure about you, but that doesn't seem "unlimited" to me at all. I was also told that these books would miraculously be available on June 13th. Why does that VERY RANDOM date sound familiar? Oh yes, IT'S MY BILLING DATE. How convenient.

I asked for my issue to be escalated, and given to the woman that was awesome enough to help me the last time this happened to my account (Rebecca). But they have refused, and instead sent me to Jasmine who is NOT a supervisor and is simply another help desk agent.

They're actually TRYING to get me to cancel my membership now, and getting snarky about it to boot:

"We understand that our subscription may not be for everyone, so if you would like me to cancel your membership go ahead and reply to this message and I'd be happy to do this for you. We're sorry to hear Scribd was not the best fit for you!
                        Jasmine A.
                        Scribd, Inc."

Here are some of the lines they feed you about their "rotating catalog" to try to mask the fact that they take away content after you've read 5 books:
                        -------------------------
                        Jasmine A. (Support Desk)
                        Jun 3, 12:23 PM PDT

Hello Evelyn,

Thank you for your patience - My name is Jasmine and I'm a Team Lead here at Scribd. Apologies for any confusion regarding our membership. I am more than happy to reiterate my team's previous messages to you.

In regards to your most recent message, I've reviewed your correspondence with Rebecca and can confirm that your earlier issues involving no available audiobooks was indeed a bug in our system that has since been resolved. I have confirmed that there are audiobooks available to you, and while some are not, you still have unlimited access to all those titles found using our "Explore" feature.

As explained earlier, you'll notice the Scribd catalog rotate as you read and access titles. Since your last renewal you've successfully redeemed the titles: "There Was an Old Woman: A Novel of Suspense", "You", "The Good House: A Novel", "The Oversight", and "The Babysitter's Code". These title redemptions have an impact on the catalog's rotation, and will still be available to you until completion, as well as any previously redeemed titles, or anything else found while "Exploring".

Jasmine A.
                        -----------------------
                        Martin D. (Support Desk)

Jun 2, 3:02 PM PDT

Hello Evelyn,

Thanks so much for reaching out!

I had a look at your account, and I see there are some titles on Scribd that aren't currently available, but will be on June 13. Our catalogs generally start to rotate as you read, based on a variety of factors involving our agreements with our publishing partners. We're working hard to maximize the availability of our library, as we aim to offer an ever-expanding selection of titles for our community of readers to enjoy.

I completely understand feeling frustrated if there's a specific book you'd like to read next. If you find your favorite selections are unavailable at the moment, the recommendations on your Scribd home page will always offer books that are available to enjoy right away. Our support article, "Exploring for Content, " also offers lots of helpful tips on navigating our library for immediately available titles.

We're positive there will always be something interesting waiting for you on Scribd, and I hope I've been able to help! You may also be interested in our recent blog post, "Scribd Vs. Those Other Subscriptions", as it includes more information about how we work directly with publishers, and a comparison of Scribd's reading subscription to similar services.

If you have any other questions or comments, please let me know - I'd welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you. I truly appreciate you taking the time to write in, and thank you for reading with us!
                        Martin D.
                        Martin D. (Support Desk)

Jun 2, 3:54 PM PDT

Hello Evelyn,

Your monthly subscription entitles you to access an unlimited number of books and audiobooks during the subscription period. I can guarantee you that we will never say, "That's it, no more for you!" However, there are various factors that dictate content availability, such as conditions regarding the deals we have with our publishing partners, general consumption level, cost, popularity, etc. Based on all of this, you'll occasionally see that select titles within specific content libraries will not be immediately available, but the following months' membership renewal will reset your catalogs. In the meantime, we mark these titles with that "Available Soon" banner you are seeing.

What this means is that you will always have access to some selections of audiobooks. But certain items will not always be accessible. This often includes newer and more popular authors (such as Steven King). You will see these selections become accessible again as of June 13.

Again, we apologize for any confusion. Please let me know if you have any other questions, .
                        Martin D.

• Scribd's response · Jun 03, 2019

Hey Evelyn, we're really sorry to hear about your frustrating experience with our support staff! We would like to connect you to one of our support specialists for a closer look into this. Could you please open a new ticket by emailing [email protected] then update this review with your ticket number? Be sure to reference compaintsboard.com in your email so your request gets routed appropriately. Thanks!

• Updated by Vanth · Jun 04, 2019

I have sent the email as asked, support ticket #2164050

• Updated by Vanth · Jun 05, 2019

They have responded to let me know I can read all the eBooks I would like, yet failed to address the issue regarding the AUDIOBOOKS. Again, all content has been removed from my available audiobooks selections. I am only left with documents and free things you can get at any unpaid free book reading app.

--------------------------
                            Rebecca (Support Desk)
                            Jun 5, 2:24 PM PDT

Hey Evelyn,

Rebecca here, nice to "meet" you again, though I am sorry it is under frustrating circumstances. Jasmine, with whom you were previously communicating, is actually my direct supervisor and Team Lead here at Scribd! I have reviewed this help ticket in its entirety as well as your complaintsboard.com post.

I really am sorry to hear about your frustrations with our rotating library.

When you and I last communicated in April (ticket #2090365), there was a bug in our system wherein the catalog was not rotating properly for some users. If you remember, I was never able to fully confirm if you were one of those affected users because you'd already canceled your subscription before we began communicating on April 11th. However, it sounded like a strong possible match to that particular bug, so I extended 30 days of free reading to help make up for the trouble.

That bug has been fully resolved and hasn't been an issue for Scribd users since April. What you are experiencing is our rotating library working as intended.

While I am sorry that you some of the titles you're interested in won't be available until June 13th, I would like to remind you of the thousands of other titles that are available, including our e-book library!

I'm including a screenshot for your current search results for Stephen King in our Books section.
                            ​​

I hope this helps to clarify your recent experience and remind you of all the possible ways to read with us on Scribd! Have a wonderful day & take care.
                            Rebecca W.
                            -----------------------

To which I have replied:
                            6:59 PM
                            to Scribd

Can you please address why my AUDIOBOOKS selection has been completely wiped after I've listened to 5 books? I have no content there. And please don't refer me to what IS available, and claim that I have "unlimited" access to those specific things, because you and I both know that's a joke. The only audiobooks available to me right now are the same free things I can find on ANY free reading app. My audiobook content is the issue.

You must know what I'm talking about, the ability of your company to recite the same blanket statements over and over again is admirable, really. You're very committed to pretending you don't know you're scamming people with your claims of "unlimited" service. Googling brings me to pages and pages of people making the same complaint. You take content away after 4-5 audiobooks.

To be completely honest, if the service stated it was for 5 audiobooks +unlimited ebooks for a month, I would be HAPPY to pay the same price I am now for that. That's still a great deal. It's the fact that you are outright misleading everyone into thinking that audiobooks are included in your "unlimited" service, when it's painfully obvious that they are not. If you were more transparent I think you would have far less complaints.

Comments

• Ca
                            Carolina Vilar Queiroz Jan 25, 2020

I totally agree that the whole "unlimited" thing, and calling them "the netflix of audiobooks" is misleading advertising, and every avid reader in the platform knows it, most of which only found that out after contracting, and I think the reason it is working is because lots of people are attracted by the promise of "unlimited", and then some people don't reach the limit, specially not every month, and the avid readers think: "ok, it's 8, 99 if I get 2 or 3 audiobooks I want to read for month it's a good deal and if I supplement it with others sources I'll be set", so everyone grumble and get upset and some write bad reviews, most let it go, the ones that don't just leave, either way the bottom line works, after all, they don’t really need not cost effective members, and there is some fine print in the contract that no one reads that explains that is not really unlimited.
                            But whether it is cost effective or not is not the real issue, the same as you I would really like the deal if they were upfront about it, "you can listen to 5 audiobooks, make 1/2 downloads" or whatever, that would be fair, the problem with scribd is they mislead you, and then keep misleading you, because when you complain they will feed you a bunch of non-responses! they are lying, we know they are lying but don't do anything because if we do they can stop providing a service that in the end is a good deal, or because we think it is fair for people to be compensated fairly for their work and prosper, and all that is true, but this does not excuse false advertisement, and fine print is not accountability. But people won’t do a thing, and they are counting on it.

• Da
                            DawnR313 Jun 03, 2019

YES! I consider Scribd a scam company and they are stealing from their members. Taking my money and not offering the same service they did when I joined is fraud. They state they are unlimited. I have tried to down load less popular titles just to see if those are unlimited and it doesnt seem to matter, they become unavailable too. They draw you in let you listen/read anything you want for a couple months then limit you and claim its because of the way their library rotates. Titles become unavailable minutes to days after you save or download and they tell you they will become available on your membership date. That's not random at all. I've been a member for 9 months and the first 3 were great with zero issue on being limited. For the last 6 months, I've been limited hard core. At first I was able to save a list of titles and it was my downloads that were being limited. I would download several audiobooks for my commute and now I download more than 1, and they become unavailable immediately. I can only have 1 down a month no matter the title and popularity. Now my saved list is being limited and I can only have about 2-3 saved and the rest will become unavailable and date available is my anniversary date every time. This all seem very deliberate to my account and it is not always the same with other members like you said. You don't have access to titles but others do. That is not a random rotation of a library they offer. That is specific to each member and each member is being limited tightly. I am really surprised someone hasn't opened a class action suit against them by now. The reviews against them are all negative and for the same reasons. I guess I need to look into to how a class action works. I'd like my money back.

Scribdunauthorized billing/double billing/pulling fee after cancelation/limited titles

I have read so many of these complaints that its surprises me no one has taken them to court. Class Action suit isn't hard to file. This is ridiculous. They are a scam company that limits the titles to their members after 2-3 month into the membership. After that titles are not available. Its the same 2 complains as I read through them. 1. taking payment that isn't authorized and 2. limiting titles

They are ripping us off and not giving us the service they claim they have available. Unlimited my A$$! There has to be someone out there with some legal expertise to get this going. Lets take them to court and call them out.

Scribdunauthorized charges from scribd on my card

Scribd has been charging my account $8.99 every month since 9/2018. I only found out about this when my bank called me about fraudulent activity.

I cancelled a Free-Trial that I started at Scribd immediately after a few hours of sign up and I am pretty sure about that. My usage of the scribd is 0 during this time period because I did not I was subscribed to this service and was being charged for this.

I contacted Scribd customer care and after exchanging multiple frustrating emails, they refunded only $8.99x4 = $35.96 only and still have $44.95 pending refunds.

Given the above information, I expect the refund for the remaining funds that were deducted from my account only because Scribd used my card info that I shared when i started my free-trial. Like i said, I dont have access Scribd data but what I do know is that I had cancelled the FT and have no info from Scribd about these $ deductions.

I dont remember receiving ANY invoices/emails from scribd that you are charges my card every month. In the absence of such invoices there is no evidence available to me to know that such charges are being charged to my card.

I am struggling to find someone I can contact and get a resolution on this.

• Scribd's response · Jun 03, 2019

Apologies for the troubles! We'd definitely like to escalate your case and take another look. Please email us at [email protected], then update your review with your ticket number and a member of our team will reach out to you shortly. Thanks!

Scribdbilling without permission

I am so upset that i have been trying to find a contact number all day to call about them billing me for the past 4 months. I have to find on a complaints website the number to customer service only to find out that they do not have an actual customer service phone line and will want a customer to do everything online. I cancelled my free trial before it was up because i did not find the website useful. I recently logged in after finding out that i have been charged for the past four months that on my account it says i am not even a member and i do not have a card on file! I truly believe this is a scam website because it has so many details about how you can get a refund and stresses that they can only give refunds within 30 days!

Scribdbook reading app

They say unlimited reading but are not. When I first signed up, I could save may times and download lots for several months. Just in the last 6 months, they started limiting my account. Now I can only download 1 book during my monthly billing cycle.
                                If I download anymore, the next day they become unavailable till after my next billing cycle.
                                They take $8.99 out of my account monthly for nothing now. I can't even save titles for future downloads and can only down load one at a time monthly. It's stealing and false advertising and its illegal to misrepresent it this way. I also have read thousands of bad reviews saying once they cancel their membership, scribd continues to deduct money from their accounts and its a big fight to resolve it because they don't have a phone number to call customer service, its all through the app. They need to be shut down or they need to uphold their unlimited statement and give us what we pay for.

• Scribd's response · May 27, 2019

We apologize for any confusion with your Scribd membership. You'll notice the catalog rotate as you read. While some titles may not be immediately available, there will always be something you can read! Please feel free to email us at [email protected] with any questions or concerns, our support team is more than happy to assist you. Thanks!

• Updated by DawnR313 · May 28, 2019

That fact that while reading a book one day and then the next its unavailable, is Crap. Its frustrating that that even happens. I don't want to be interrupted while reading a good book but to have it not be available because of a god damn revolving library excuse is unacceptable. I have canceled my membership like many others and will continue to steer anyone remotely interested in Scribd in another direction. Its not worth the frustrations and lack of customer service that "cares".

• Updated by DawnR313 · Jun 03, 2019

• Va
                                    Vanth Jun 02, 2019

This is happening to me right now. The best part being that the books I want to read are available to my friends, who are using this app and are paid members... but are unavailable to me as a paying customer. We are paying for the same exact service, but I cannot access the books, and they can.

I have been told this bs line of "oh we rotate things and their availability" which CONVENIENTLY falls on my membership renewal date... But if something is "unavailable" it should be so to EVERYONE. Not just a select few.

Scribdscribd’s continuous billing without permission.

Two years ago, I signed up for Scribd's free trial. I had to provide my credit card information to sign up for it. I did not use the service that much, so I canceled before the 30 day trial expired. They started billing me anyway. I didn't notice the charges at first because I wasn't checking my credit card statements (my wife was in charge of paying bills). After the third month, I saw the charges from Scribd. I called them to complain and they reimbursed the three months worth of bills. Now, two years later, they're billing me again. I haven't used their service since 2017. I'm calling them again to complain and request reimbursement.

• Scribd's response · May 27, 2019

Scribdunknown charges

Hi scribd,

I am writing this as complaint as to why your company is still charging me funds via credit card when I have cancelled my subscription over a month ago.

I would like to request an immediate action in the sure cancellation of my subscription to avoid further complaints.

Kindly contact me through email - [protected]@yahoo.com

Carol navarro

• Scribd's response · May 03, 2019

Hi there! We are more than happy to help you with this. Please email us at [email protected], then update your review with your ticket number and a member of our team will reach out to you shortly. Thanks!

ScribdI am complaining about the charges taken for my monthly subscription.

Due to my monthly subscription, I am charged €8.07 usually at the beginning (10-15th) of every month.

I applied on my scribd account to be suspended from April till November which was accepted, but still I got the charges for April and not only was €8.07 taken, my account was debited again on the 25 of April 2019. So I have paid twice in one month. That is more than the said amount. So please can I my money be refunded. Thanks.

I am complaining about the charges taken for my monthly subscription.
                                      I am complaining about the charges taken for my monthly subscription.

• Scribd's response · May 03, 2019