SCI*Stamps.comMisleading sales leading to credit automatic billing

J

Stamps.com obviously has made a fortune on individuals and businesses like mine.

It apparently started with a phone pitch which lead an employee without authorization to signed up for a free service trial from Stamps.com.

New accounting guidelines that we just implemented to double check all accounts being charged for both singular charges as well as revolving charges found a reoccurring charge $24.99 listed for SCI*Stamps.com in our monthly billing.

What apparently has happened is that the free trial period turned into an automatic full service billing (for nearly 2 years now) @ $24.99.

When speaking to Stamps.com they said that such accounts were set up by someone in our office for the free trial – and walked through how to set up that account by a Stamps.com representative.

When asked why over these years we were not receiving an email billing receipt for the billing – the Sr. Account representative stated that the possibility to have emails sent was an opt in check box available in account settings. Obviously something that was not pointed out by the account representative when assisting my employee in setting up the free trial originally.

After a discussions with the accounting department at Stamps.com (with my Bank’s fraud representative on the line) stamps.com closed the account.

Stamps.com IMHO uses deceptive approaches to soliciting their one month trial period for new accounts which will automatically be billed for an entire year if not actively closed by the trial user.

This is an expensive lesson for us in accounting and cross-checking on billings that we will not soon forget.

• Da
    Darla Berry Oct 15, 2008

I had an erroneous charge of $17.95 on my credit card from this vendor, that I did not make. I called the company and they said they will close my account and refund the charge on my next statement, and gave me a confirmation number.

• Su
    Susan Hauenstein Oct 28, 2008

I have never been on SCI*Stamps.com website - they are chargin my credit card 15.95 month for something I am receiving nor ordered. I want a refund!

• St
    Stephen Bennett Nov 15, 2008

I have never heard of this company and a 17.95 charge appeared on my credit card. I have not not any business with them and believe this to be identity theft, fraud, and phony business.

• Ra
    RachH Jan 30, 2009

I have been receiving upwards of $100 worth of charges from this scistamps.com, and I have never heard of this site. However, I do apparently have a user name and account number through the site, which I found out about because of the letter I received from them stating that the account was overdue by over $50!

• Ra
    Rachel6139 Feb 12, 2009

I recieved a call from a company to tell me about a "free gift" that I had ordered, but I had never even contacted the company to recieve a free gift... luckily, the young man on the phone quickly realized that someone had stolen my cc #. after checking my online banking I found several charges pending from this SCI*STamps.com. I have never even heard of them or had given my cc# to them. Thank God for the internet because I was quickly able to Google the name and realized the scam. Someone needs to shut these [censored] down.

• Kr
    kristel Mar 24, 2009

In December I tried shipping packages using USPS, however their site was down for over a week, during the busiest time of year!!! They refer their customers to www.stamps.com ... so since I really needed to ship stuff urgently for my business, I decided to try them out. After a very lenthy sign up procedure, I entered my card number so they could put any SHIPPING charges on my card. I was supposed to get an email with password etc, but that never happened. In the mean time USPS is back up an running, so I never even used stamps.com.

Now a few months later, I am catching up with business bookkeeping and notice that I have 3 charges for CSI*Stamps.com on my business credit card !!!???

I call them up, they are willing to close the account and refund me one months' worth of charges, but tell my I AGREED, to pay a monthly service fee. I say, I did not agree to that at all. Again, one of those places that tuck away the truth in small lettering and inconspicuous places on their site.

USPS is also at fault, they should not be referring their customers from their site, which you can use for free to a site where a monthly fee is being charged. USPS of course doesn't think it is their responsibility!!!

JUST BE AWARE!!!

I did dispute this with my bank and will have to wait and see what happens with that.!

• St
    Stan Dickey Apr 01, 2009

Tried to buy stamps from the USPS on line and got signed up by this outfit without any explanation of any monthly charges. I am trying to cancel it and they are resisting.

No mention was made of monthly charges

Samanthskins Apr 21, 2009

I saw the charge on my husband's card, after signing up for a "Free" 30 day trial. I called them, mentioned all the scam reports, and the cancelled my account AND credited my money back right away. I had no problem with them at all. Infact they were polite, and helpful.

• Aj
    ajsacto May 04, 2009

When I contacted them after an erroneous charge, they were polite, but very, very aggresive about maitaining my account. When I made it very clear that I did not wish to continue service and would really appreciate a refund for the service I never used, I was told the refund would not be possible, but they would discontinue service. I had to be very firm with the customer service rep. to get her to stop trying to push me into staying with the service (highly annoying). In my opini0n, it is surprising that the U.S.P.S. aligns itself with a company that obviously works it's people on commission.

• Ke
    Keyers Jun 16, 2009

I have about 10 such charges for the same amount, $17.95 and have never done business with this company. I reported them as fraudulent and changed my credit card number.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices