Riverstone Residential Groupunethical practices

Anyone thought to file a complaint with the US Department of Housing and Urban Development / Multifamily Housing Clearinghouse. With all the complains they will have to investigate.

WA Spokane Field Office
[protected]
Region X
Seattle WA

• ScrewedByRiverstone Dec 04, 2012

The following details the experiences of my wife and me with this horrendous criminal company:

Let's start small, I will get to the mold and leaky roof and pet-waste problems shortly. So, to start, they have over-priced, brand new but cheaply made. Oven vent does not vent outdoors, but back into the kitchen, where it sets off the over-sensitive fire alarms almost every time the oven is used.

Noisy. Poor insulation. Cheap inefficient heaters all had to be replaced for more heavy-duty models, we were often cold for the first six months. One entrance smells like dog and cat excrement and urine all the time, where pets are allowed to go on a 4x4 piece of astroturf that hardly anyone ever hoses down, the smell is so disgusting we find it unusable. Leaf blowers every week during the day, hallway and party noises all night, with frequent raging loud sirens from the nearby firehouse.

And now our roof leaks, it started four or five days ago already. All they do is send the maintenance guys around, who are all nice hardworking guys, the only good thing about this place. But now we have black and green mold growing on the walls and baseboards. We are told contractors are coming to fix it but no one ever calls or shows up. No apology from anyone, and it should not be the maintenance guy's job; that's what those do-nothing boot-lickers in the office are supposed to be for. Asked one of them if she could get me a package when she had a second, and she gave me nothing but attitude; the other guy down there never says Hello and has all the personality of a tree stump -- people I have to look at and walk past every day, to get in and out of my HOME, and they have no people skills at all. Terrible, absolutely terrible. Save your money, it's a total rip off.

Thankfully, we are moving within a month. And alas, for the cherry on top, my wife informs me they overcharged us on our last month's rent. Should I just g'head and post my e-mail address now for any attorneys to get ahold of us? I AM LIVING WITH BLACK AND GREEN MOLD IN THE NEXT ROOM, a room DEFINITELY UNSAFE TO INHABIT. They should be paying to put us up in a nice hotel while they come here tomorrow and tear down the walls and ceiling and hopefully decontaminate the fast-growing mold. No kiddin', it's really gross and fuzzy. I got pictures. Judges love pictures.

Now here's my guess how it all happened: Ever watch Gordon Ramsey? Everyone with some money thinks they can run a restaurant. I saw the suits who walk around here once in a great while, I could tell by looking at them, what they were. Guys with money. And that's it. From the architect who designed a tiny "dog run" with no air flow, all enclosed like a cave, now a breeding ground for hundreds of black flies that are even getting into the apartment; to the cheap designs for venting and insulation and the water leaks all over the ceiling and down the wall; the cheap heaters and dish washers and building materials; poor staff (except for the maintenance guys, Angel and Greg and the other kid who smiles all the time, great guys and none of this their fault); to the absolute lack of management --

--These suits got taken for a ride, and they are passing the #%@&ings onto us.

Is that about right, boys?

(Update: 1:51 pm, 12-04-2012:)
    Finally, some satisfaction. Three contractors were here for a few hours, right on time, and cut out parts of the ceiling and wall where the black and green mold was growing, and encased half the spare bedroom in a plastic curtain. Looks like a scene from the movie Outbreak. The also said they found the source of the leak, so I guess they will start replacing the walls and ceiling tomorrow.

Man, what a mess. I got a bed in there, no room to put it anywhere, covered in plastic sheets, perhaps already contaminated. Would YOU sleep in it? Rain water soaked blankets and sheets and the bed, when I'd first noticed the leaks, and managed the clear the room and push the bed out of way.

If anyone from Domain by Alta thinks all this has been exhausting on you, imagine all the damage and inconvenience and lost time WE suffered.

Now the nice old Arab man who runs the little store across the street from this dump just told me that either Domain by Alta or their contractors, probably the latter, were just busted by ICE for immigration violations. Old Oli the store owner said this company is somehow hooked up out of Texas, said the ICE cops were set up right across the street a while ago, handing out plastic handcuffs and probably free rides to Mexico. So far, I have not been able to verify this, I checked US gov websites and all I could find only a contractor called Sun Drywall or something like that, fined 2 million for helping undocumented folks get fake papers, but I don't know if Domain by Alta does any business with Sun. Funny, though, the head contractor here today, nice friendly chap, he was wearing a nice big cowboy hat. Could mean nothin', or could mean there's something to the Texas gossip.

Soon we'll be outta here and we'll no longer give a rat's whisker.

I really don't trust anyone from this company except for the 2 or 3 maintenance guys I already know.