Richmond American HomesNo refund of deposit!

Letter to Attorney General:

As a consumer from your state, I felt it was my responsibility to bring to your attention the following incident.

15 days ago we put $4000 down on a deposit for a home to built.

due to circumstances my husband lost his job, therefore we did not qualify for a RHM loan, The permit has only just been requested, and they have not even broke ground.In the contract it states that if you get loan denial within 30 days, you will receive a refund. Well they are not giving us back our money, no-one will return our calls, we are at a total dead end, i have become ill because of this, i also have 2 small children, we really need the money refunded to us, there quick to take your deposit but never to give it us back..can someone help us..please, all we want is our money back!

As a resolution, I would like the following:

We want a full refund, we gave them everything they need including letter of denial, even Richmond Home Mortgage told us they will refund our money. All we are getting is a [email protected]

Please contact me if you need more details regarding this incident.

• Ju
    Jules R Feb 24, 2021

We bought a new home in Saint Augustine, FL and the way they build them is pretty poor. They claim is an energy efficient home, the garage walls are not insulated, concrete slab cracked 1 ST week, chipped granite in kitchen (they claim is not covered under warranty ?). Crooked walls, poor craftmanship all over the home. Stain drive way from poor concrete mixture. cheap everything from garage doors to kitchen faucets and light fixtures. The build them in 90 days or less. If you want upgrades, they charge you as they were custom builders outrageous make ups on everything and anything. RAH not good in my book. Do your self a favor and take your money somewhere else.

• Un
    UNHAPPY HOUSE BUYER May 11, 2012

I was recently in the market to purchase a new home and contacted Richmond American Homes and spoke to elizabeth in sales. I gave her the details of what I was looking to purchase, i.e. price range, square feet, immediate time frame, etc. and she promised me numerous times that there was a home that would work for me and that she would email me pictures of the houses available and have the manager of the sub-division send me a packet with all of the information I needed in addition to having the manager call me. Nothing ever happened as she just kept making empty promises and I never received any information. Meanwhile, I decided to purchase a house from another builder and as such sent an email to tonia at Richmond American Homes stating that I chose another builder due to the none responsive behavior of elizabeth. tonia then replied with a curt lame excuse email which I found both rude and unprofessional. Can you imagine if they treated me this way before the sale how I would be treated after they had my money? BUYERS BEWARE OF RICHMOND AMERICAN HOMES.

• Rr
    RRivetto Sep 06, 2011

My husband and I had a similar experience. We wrote out a contract the end of May 2011 and gave a $2, 000 deposit. A day later we found out that my husband's salary was possibly going to be cut and so we cancelled the next day. The realtor we dealt with promised my husband multiple times that the worst case scenario is that we would lose $250. That was over 2 months ago. Every time we contact the realtor he tells us that his supervisor needs to sign off on the cancellation. He tells us to just keep checking in on the status. The realtor I dealt with was manipulative and is a liar. We have yet to get this matter resolved.

• St
    Steve Moore John Carter Oct 17, 2009

Beware of RAH. They not only treat the buyers unfair but the contractors and employees as well. Divisional Presidents will knowingly cover up or hide shotty, poor, or even defective workmanship and problems.Too get action call the Denver corporate office. The head guys are David Mandrich and Larry Miezel. Their first initial with the last name @MDCholdings.com. call and bug them dirrectly and your calls will magically be returned. The higher you go the faster you will be responded to and persistance does pay off

• Vo
    VoxUnite Feb 11, 2009

I also did not qualify with their lender and canceled the contract 2 weeks ago, now they tell me it takes up to 4 weeks to get the money back, and that is with some charges, even then is not a full refund

WHAT TO DO

you can file a COMPLAINT with:

* The better business bureau, BBB
    * federal trade commission
    * your state board of consumer affairs

I will complain!!!

• Dl
    DL Jul 09, 2008

We gave a $500 deposit to Richmond American Homes to start the qualification process on a Spec home they were trying to sale. We really wanted the home, but after having 3 different mortgage brokers through Richmond American try to qualify us we proved to be unqualified. I received a certified letter from them telling me that I didn't follow the purchase contract and therefore wouldn't get my $500 back (even though the contract states I will if I didn't qualify). Both the Sales rep and the Sales Manager of the Utah office have yet to return my call in response to this nasty deed.

• Di
    Diann Lloyd May 13, 2008

I would like more information anyone who has on richmond, I am buying a speck home and not very happy the way things are going with them.it has been a very unpleasent expierence for From arizona your input would be a great help to me.