Rainbow Appliance Complaints & Reviews

Rainbow ApplianceSold broken oven

I purchased an oven from them and after opening the box found a crack on the handle bar being covered with a piece of tape so that I wouldn't notice it on delivery.in addition, after making all the correct connctions to the gas line (following the oven's manual) it would not light the oven's pilot - the oven did not work! I called the merchant and asked that they fix it to which they replied that I should do that. I then immediately asked to return the oven and that they honor their return policy. They replied that they would pick-up the oven. However, a week went by and they didn't pick it up. For the next few weeks I kept calling and e-mailing them asking that they pickup the oven, but there was no action from their end. 2 months later they called and told me that they now will be able to pickup the oven. I replied that the oven was delivered to my summer vacation home and that i'm no longer there. I reminded them that I had been calling and e-mailing them about the oven right after delivery for quite a few weeks. They had nothing to say other then that I had signed on delivery! I tried refuting this charge with my credit card company, but this merchant kept denying they did anything wrong and that I signed on delivery! This oven costed me $400, I had nothing but grief from this merchant - I truly regret buying from them!

Buyer be aware! Buy at your own risk! Don't expect service from them.

REPLY from Rainbow Appliance
    The handle bar was not damaged it had a scuff mark on it and once we told you to apply soap and water you admitted the so called "scratch" came right off. Then when you went to hook it up you found out that your pipe fitting to your house was not compatible. So lets admit the oven did work fine just your house plumbing only took certain connections. But that is not a big deal since a plumber can just come out and put on an adapter for you and make it work fine. after we told you this you insisted we had to do that at our expense. Never mind you never paid us for installation and your house has the "non industry standard pipes" you still felt it is our responsibility to install the unit. We thank you for purchasing with us but please realize we cant be your servant. If the fault lies with your home then that does not obligate us to fix your home. You need to hire a plumber and they will fix it

Rainbow ApplianceReturn Problem

This company is dreadful to deal with. I had purchased a product image Whirlpool Whirlpool WED5800S 29"" Electric Dryer, 7 cu.ft, 9 Cycles, AccuDry from them because they had the best price and they were in a neighboring state. I arrived home and the appliance was left in the basement and they took the box with them. I called them because we were not able to get the electrician to get the line feeds for the electric and asked that they provide a gas one instead, acknowledging that it was our error in purchasing before we had the line run. I was willing to pay a restocking fee, but they refused to take back the appliance because there was no box, which they originally took! I called my credit card company and they said that since we still have the product, there was nothing they could do in this situation. Its now a couple of weeks and we had to get another dryer, the electric one is still in our basement while we figure out what to do, no one in our area is looking for an electric dryer, tried ebay and craigs list. Stay away from this company, I should have read the complaints before buying, they are accurate.

anonyMiss Jul 11, 2009

File with the BBB

Tell your credit card company they came and took the produce and submit a chargeback (under no refund received)

Then sell it on CraigsList and get double your money

Allan Shure Mar 29, 2011

The per son that answered the door for the delivery instructed the drivers to take away all the boxing. The drivers would have been glad to leave the unit there still packaged but at the request of the customer they spend anther 15 minutes unpacking the unit and removing all the boxing. Customer admits they ordered the wrong unit so the mistake lies with the customer not with the retail store. And if we are asked to remove all the boxing than that is what we do. But we cant take back a unit without any boxing to it.

Rainbow ApplianceThis company is Fraudulent! BEWARE!!

I purchased an expensive Microwave from this company which they shipped to the wrong address resulting in the merchandise being lost! They are blaming the carrier and will not refund or replace!!
BUYER BEWARE!!! FRAUDULENT BUSINESS PRACTICES AT RAINBOW APPLIANCE !!

REPLY from Rainbow Appliance
    We never stated we would not refund you. We stated allow 7 business days since that is the time period the shipping company has to find the package. If after those 7 days they dont find it then they will consider it lost and we can then reimburse you in full. After all, what if they find it tomorrow and deliver it to you yet we already refunded you. That would mean you get a full credit and a free appliance. We explained this to you at length over the phone. We give you our word that if they dont find it we will issue you a full credit on day 7, no questions asked.

Rainbow ApplianceNothing but crooks

The surest sign that these people are just crooks is that they accepted payment from me, did not deliver, and to this day, refuse to issue me a refund. Theft, plain and simple. I'm surprised that they delivered any merchandise to anybody. They never answer e-mails, never return calls, the manager is ALWAYS out of the office, etc. etc. etc. I complained to the Better Business Bureau, to no avail. They told the BBB that they "sent a check out already" as a refund. ###. I have never received any refund. I am looking to take these people to small claims court. By the way, if you have a problem with them, you can contact

Passaic County Consumer Affairs; 1310 Route 23 North; Wayne, NJ 07470; phone [protected].

• Lo
    lombardi Sep 09, 2009

I have been battling with this company for a week. I placed an order for a BBQ it came all damaged, the out side of the box was fine. The best was my 11 year old son signed for it, not even an adult!! There is nothing on the receipt to show you inspected and accepted!! I contacted customer service I sent 12 photo's clearly identifying the issues along with the email stating what was wrong. I heard nothing back so I contacted the company and was never able to get a response. I asked to speak to a Manager, I was told 4 times to callback in an hour when the Manager, returns, and each time they were not available. After numerous emails, calls the customer service rep. calls back to explain the Manager will authorize Replacement parts!! You would need to rebuild the BBQ, and god forbids something with the gas lines were not right, I am putting my family in danger! My husband asked to speak to the Manager he was told they do not take phone calls, we are resolving with our credit card company. This is a rude and unresponsive company!!!

Rainbow ApplianceNon-Delivery

Ordered a Frigidaire range from them on eBay because Sears had the same item but it was not in stock. Delivery was expected shortly. Rainbow subcontracts to Almo Distributing who has a warehouse 2.5 hours from here and advertises delivery nationwide in 1-2 days. Almo then subcontracted to Milan Express in Cleveland to have the unit brought to my home. Milan called yesterday to arrange delivery for last night. It is December, 32^F outdoors with snow and rain as typical for this time of year. Milan never showed up last night; I called them after delivery was supposed to arrive and they had no answers. Then I called them this morning and they said that they have ONLY SEMIS and can't do delivery residentially, but one of the employees has a company pickup truck. I spoke with the employee who refuses to deliver because IT IS RAINING AND HE DOES NOT HAVE A TARP TO COVER THE APPLIANCE IN HIS PICKUP TRUCK and when I suggested he could go to Lowe's or Home Depot to get one, he flatly refused to go buy one. HUH? So, he says that when the weather gets better he'll deliver it. OF COURSE, AROUND HERE, THAT COULD MEAN SPRINGTIME. This delivery snafu is unbelievable. Totally unreliable!

• Tu
    Tucson Jun 08, 2009

Everyone on this site seems to have had the same issues as well. I absolutely urge no one, and I mean no one, to do any business with Rainbow Appliance. They will sell you items they do not have in stock and then stall when you want a refund you will never recieve. ***DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM RAINBOW APPLIANCE AS THEY ARE ONLY IN THE BUSINESS OF STEALING YOUR MONEY. YOU WILL NOT RECIEVE A PRODUCT NOR WILL YOU BE ABLE TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE TO GET A REFUND ON YOUR PURCHASE*** I hope this company is brought up on charges and all victims involved are settled in court.

Allan Shure Mar 29, 2011

REPLY from Rainbow Appliance.
    Please understand you live in a very remote area where no trucks can get down the roads, only SUV and pickup trucks. We and all other appliance stores only have Trucks and deliver in Trucks. At the time you ordered the appliance from us you should have told us " Hey guys a truck wont make it down my block." But you never stated anything of that sort. What did you think we would deliver it other than a truck.

Rainbow ApplianceService

I ordered an Avanti refrigerator form this company on 9/24/08, on 9/25/08 I received an email saying to call an 800 number because of a problem with the order, I called on 9/26/08 and was informed this item had been discontinued and my order was canceled. On 9/29/08 Rainbow Appliances charged my checking account. I emailed for an explanation but have never received a reply. I have filed a complaint with the state of Florida and have had to resort to a charge dispute with my bank to recover this money. This company is nothing but a bunch of thieves, not worth doing business with for apparent good prices when all they do is take your money with no intention of filling an order.

Rainbow Appliance — Horrendous service!

This company is unbelievable. 1st they sold me a washing machine that is unavailable. After all of the...

Rainbow ApplianceYou have to be crazy to buy from this place!

Rainbow Appliance
MS Electronics & Appliances
210 River Rd
Clifton NJ 07014
[protected]

Bought a Friedrich Air Conditioner. Best price on a Friedrich model, by far. This is a NJ company = 20.

Do you offer installation I ask? Do you know the new rules for NYC installation? Can't be sure, says salesman J. He advises I get an authorized Friedrich dealer in NYC to install. I do this.

Lots of problems with delivery. Lots of excuses. Finally, after waiting from 9am to 4:45pm, I need to leave. They try again the next day, but I had to do all the calling and pleading. Rainbow apologizes and gives me extended warranty.

So the authorized installers arrive--not Rainbow-- and we all notice that the A.C parts are damaged in box---however I'm told it's an easy thing to replace, plastic parts of the plenum, but when installed and turned on, the fan is defective. Not an easy problem any more. I've purchased a defective machine. I called Rainbow immediately, but got the machine.

At 9am the following workday, I call Rainbow, tell someone the story, and am told they would get right back to me. Five calls and long bouts of waiting on hold, speaking to 3 different people, "I'll call you back" and nothing is done. No plan has been made, no help given. They are avoiding me. In the evening I call the original salesman J., and he is mean and taunting. He is laughing at me. He says "we're spending way too much time with you. He curses me "go screw yourself. Not once, but three times throughout the conversation. He jerks me around on the phone. RAINBOW DOES NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. Call Friedrich (the manufacturer), he says.

J., who sold me the machine, is now egregious. I ask many times for the company owner's contact number. J. says sure, here's his number, and he gives me the local information number. And laughs.

So it's 88 degrees in NYC this evening, and I have an A.C that I've paid over one thousand dollars for, and it doesn't work. And RAINBOW puts me on hold every time I call. And J. laughs when I call and hangs up on me.

LISTEN EVERYONE: RAINBOW ONLY WANTS YOUR MONEY, THEY ARE NO HELP IF THEY SELL YOU A LEMON. Buyers are sitting ducks. Once they have your money, you get no service. Caveat Emptor, don't do this to yourselves. They don't deserve your business. Can't remember when I've had a worse buying experience. I'm a mature business person, have had a successful career in sales, and these people give salespeople a bad name. Tomorrow I call Friedrich.

In the end, that discount price they offer is not worth the horrendous service. God help you if you receive a non-working appliance. You're screwed. I have my credit card company looking into this now. All I wanted was a replacement with a working machine by the company that sold me the item. This doesn't work with RAINBOW. Quick sale and goodbye.

I get a call a few days later from a Rainbow Manager; apologetic and he tries to make good and I let him try. So I stay home ANOTHER DAY (day 4) waiting for a 1pm delivery of a replacement A.C; I'm told the chassis of the damaged one will be extracted, the new chassis installed. A new cover will replace the cracked one. The bad air conditioner will be removed.

So the 2 young delivery guys come on time at 1pm (hooray, finally) and they see the damaged A.C in the window. What's wrong, I say? "We don't install, they say. We don't take the chassis out and replace it... someone else does it.

They call their manager, who wants to walk them through the process with my $1000 machine. I said to the young man,"you haven't done this before? He said, "I can try."

Oh BOY!!! That 's all I need. I call Rainbow, I call 5 times, I speak with 5 people, the Manager has "stepped away. The young delivery boys leave the new A.C boxed in my apartment. MY APARTMENT IS STILL HOT, WITHOUT A WORKING A.C, and it's June 21, and this has been going on since June 14.

This company, despite the manager's good intentions-- he is worried about the effect of published online criticism on his business-- CANNOT GET THIS RIGHT. They have wasted my entire week, and now will keep me in the heat for two consecutive weekends. I am beyond frustration, beyond tears. I say again, Caveat Emptor.

I get a call from the manager on Monday morning. Now tells me that he never said that his guys would replace the chassis and take away the one that doesn't work. He says Rainbow doesn't install in metro NY, although that's not what the website states: "We offer installation in the metro NYC area, all of NJ. We also offer installation in parts of Pennsylvania. There is an additional fee, so please call our sales department at [protected] or email us at sales AT rainbowappliance.com for a price quote."

He tells me it's my problem. He says that either he will have his drivers pick up the new boxed replacement A.C, or I have to pay someone for a second installation. He says he will charge my credit card for a second air conditioner if this doesn't resolve soon.

Two hours later he agrees to pay 1/2 of the installation cost... he will credit my account.

In summary, after maybe 30+ calls to Rainbow's 800# since the initial A.C delivery on June 15, I still have no working air conditioner, but maybe there will be a breakthrough this week. I have spent a full work week---5 days or more over the last 2 weeks---waiting for call backs or deliveries, writing to BBB and my bank. Yes, Rainbow offered a lower price on this machine. BUT YOU DO THE MATH. This was one expensive business transaction, in every way. For me, my business, my health. And it's by no means over. A real nightmare.

I understand the egregious salesman J. remains in his job, ever-ready to bully the next client. The manager, a mixed bag, tried to solve the situation, I guess. It took too long, and kept me in summer heat too long. No one should have to go through this.

One last thing:

On Sunday, I learn that Epinions has deleted my complaint about Rainbow Appliance. It was my first listing ever. They said I did something wrong, it wasn't too clear what, so I deleted what I thought could be the offending part - I used the first name of the egregious salesman and the manager. Perhaps Epinions - whose parent company is EBAY (and Rainbow Appliance is a big seller on Ebay, providing Ebay with many fees) was feeling the heat from Rainbow? Rainbow was pressuring me to take down the critique from the get-go. I don't know the truth of the matter, maybe never will because Epinions is not responding. But my right to complain has been limited by them, even while people were saying that my listing was "helpful".

I'm hoping this site will publish my complaint so that others can be warned.

• Wh
    whatsallthis Jul 26, 2007

Jodi is truly the customer from Hell. We work with several installers. None are willing to do installation in NYC. Manhattan added a lot of regulations to prevent accidents. Most installers do not feel it worthwhile to install in manhattan. Aside from the city regulations, there is no private homes in Manhattan.

They have to deal with Co - Op boards and corporations who own the huge sky scrapers. There is a lot of paperwork and other rules, policies procedures etc to install an AC.

We work with many contractors and offer installation of Air Conditioners but we cannot get any one to install in NYC. This has affected our sales, but some people are willing to buy it anyways.

Jodi chose to buy it without installation. To start with, she demanded 300 compensation because the delivery guy was stuck in traffic. This before she got the delivery.

She then proceeded to harass us. She kept calling and said that she is not going to hang up or stop calling unless we give the owner's cell phone number to her (he had a family emergency).

I did not want to lose my job by giving out the bosses number to a psychopath.
    She is even ranting that epinions is also out to get her because we are a big business. When she joined epinions, the user agreement clearly says no naming names. She is incapable of following directions or listening but then rants and raves.

Bottom line, Jody is a lunatic and a true customer from hell.

We have several thousand positive reviews on ebay, it is nearly 100% positive. We are proud of our record, but we cant make everyone happy and I we will not give out management's or employees cell phone numbers to lunatics.

Jodi Malcom Aug 05, 2007

The commenter J Maslow is the salesman that was censured by his management for his vulgar and egregious language and treatment of me. Since that time he has breached credit card rules by emailing me personally and threatening to post sexually suggestive announcements about me online using my telephone number (which he has access to via my use of credit card for the initial sale). His management and the credit card company I used is now aware of his dangerous behavior and I'm hoping punishment is in order for salesman AND Rainbow--- who does nothing about it.

I want to warn all women that their telephone numbers are subject to threatened sexual mischief by J. Maslow/ Rainbow Appliance salesman, if they decide to exercise free speech and post criticism on this and other online sites.

FYI, J Maslow's rants about my demanding compensation etc is not true. I called Rainbow with the best intentions to purchase an air conditioner. I had to endure weeks of the very worst treatment to finally get a working machine. I paid Rainbow's full price which turned out to be unacceptably expensive in terms of time lost and aggravation.

J. Maslow appears to be a family member within the Rainbow organization and a top salesman, so caveat emptor and watch out for this abusive vulgar salesman. There are better places to shop.

manhattanista Aug 02, 2011

I do not think it is Rainbow that it is the whole problem. I had almost the same situation with another vendor of AC's. I think it is endemic to the AC industry. Retailers do not stand behind the products they sell they pass you on to the manufacturer. I bought a Friedrich and after one month it did not work. It took me one week in 92 degree weather to get a new machine from Friedrich with very little help from the retailer. I am waiting for it now. Hundreds of calls and emails . I think it is the appliance business that has become a sham. After I get the AC installed and working I plan on a SN campaign.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices