Household Bank Complaints & Reviews

Household Bank — Account Problems

On 11/29/11 at approximately 10:00 pm, I called in to activate my new credit card. I was asked a series of...

Household BankScrewed

They gave me a 2000 dollar limit. i paid my statement every month almost in full. my wife and my daughter go on vacation and use the card and told there is a block on it, i call household bank and they say they reduced my credit limit to 1400 dollars|. i asked them why and they said i took a cash advance for 60 dollars!. that 60 dollars was already paid/. the said OK and took the block off and my credit available was 69 dollars.. now i have my family on vacation with a 69 dollar credit availability!. i said when were you going to inform me of the credit reduction they said we mailed you a letter today/. what good does that do for me|. when i get the bill i am going to pay them off and cancel the card screw them all.

Household BankCharged me Late Fees for No Reason

Every month I make my payment on time give or take a day or so. I just so happened to look back on my statements wondering why my balance is not going down. They have been charging me late charges for no reason. As of January 2011 I am now one month ahead and I received a late charge in the months of November, December, January, February and March. I have emailed them asking them to reimburse these charges and they refused. I also asked them to please lower my rate because of the hard economic times. They said NO! I am now forced to close this account.

Household BankUnethical practices

THE AUTO PAY that ISN'T an AUTO PAY. I have HOUSEHOLD BANK for years, I had Auto-Pay set up on my account originally for $50 and then dropped auto pay to $30 and my payment was always $29.00. Well last month they charged me $39 for membership against my account balance so then they changed my minimum to $31 but they only took out $30.00. so I got charged $25.00 late fee because I was 1$ short according to them in my auto pay. This month it is back to $29.00 per month. I called household bank to find out why they didn't take out the minimum. They said they could only go up to the $30 limit I had. I said WHAT!!! I have auto-pay, They told me I should have gone online and checked. I said that is ridiculous, why would auto pay not be an auto-pay. if I have to go online every time then what is auto-pay for! I said why do I have to go online and check to see if they are tricking me every month. That is why I have AUTO-PAY to AUTO-PAY. Makes sense to everybody except HOUSEHOLD BANK. my other banks take out the $ amount or at least the minimum. So $1 cost me $25.00 and higher interest fees because I was late on $1.00 Way to go Congress, you really fixed the bank system if this is considered logical. IT IS UNETHICAL at very least if not downright THEFT!!! Robbers go to jail and these guys are robbing everybody with their little banking schemes and then ruin your credit so you can’t get a loan because you were short $1.00. Then everybody else can take a shot at you, your lenders, your insurance companies and anybody else that can take a shot at you. And it is amazing why people think the lower income earners are broke and in POVERTY!!

• 10
          101lee101 Aug 11, 2011

I got a $25 restuarant gift certificate promo from Household Bank last April or May 2011. The promo is if I sign up for e-statements instead of mailing them. I've been asking them for the certificate and it hasn't arrived. Ive been given the run around (i.e. wait til the end of the June sycle, etc.). Finally, I threathened to cancel my card. They tried to give me this "switch and bait" tactic. They said: "rather than waiting for your $25 certificate, we'll give you a $5.00 credit on your account." I tried to tell them that its the principal, and not just the money. You should have been upfront & just offer the $5. I refused to accept the offere. I wonder how many of you got this raw deal? Maybe we can send it to the consumer affairs depament.

Household BankScam to steal money

Household Bank continues to send me my bill late. This is a trick by them to be able to charge their customers "late fees" I have contacted them several times and they say they are required by law to mail the bill at least 21 days in advance. When I ask them why my bill continues to show up late they all have the same corporate answer "we have no control over the post office" I then ask them why I can no longer access my bill on line and they say "you can't?" Well I am tired of them stealing from me I am going to stand up and as I told them simply no longer pay my bill.

Vladimir Estragon Jun 17, 2010

Household scammers emailed me back claiming again that they mail my bill out 21 days early. They then went on to say I had to mail my payment back to them at least 14 days in advance because it often takes the post office 14 days to deliver mail. But wait a minute isn't 14+14=28 days? So according to their logic how could they receive my payment on time. They would have to mail my bill at least 28 days before it was due. Very funny I hope they all rot in hell.

• Nb
            N. B. Wimberly Sep 17, 2010

Does anyone have a working phone number for this horrible credit card company? Upon review of my credit report, I discovered that HSBC has put me in collections for $80K! That's right; $80, 000! My credit limit was only $2, 000. I can't find a phone number that anyone will answer. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. This is preventing me from getting a job and an apartment! HELP

• Nb
            N. B. Wimberly Sep 17, 2010

I cannot get in touch with anyone at this company, either! Has anyone had any luck contacting them?

Vladimir Estragon Sep 20, 2010

Yes the only "help" they offered was to talk to some one in India who told me that of course he had no power to correct HSBC "mistakes" they are a joke I can only hope they all rot in hell.

Household BankScam

I recently got a card from this company. I paid off all charges for the month and they have not given me back credit for it. It was my first payment. I do not want to pay credit fees and felt I was being responsible using credit. They are penalizing me. I would not recommend this card to anyone.I sent email to the customer service Indian named customer service people and they were unresponsive.Don't get a card from this company. it is a waste of your time. They require a yearly fee right off the bat. I am pissed.

Household BankRaised my interest rate!

They do it because they CAN! Actually, I have card with Orchard Bank, which is same as HSBC.HSBC card has a low interest rate, so did Orchard when I signed up back in November. However they did not send me 1st statement therefore I had not paid the bill. They then sent me the next month's statement, late fee included. I called up telling them I had not received the 1st bill (which was honest) and they reversed the late fee and gave me back half of the annual fee because they did not want to lose me as a customer...oh boo hooo. The next statement...they JACKED UP THE INTEREST FROM 15% TO 29.9%.They did not reverse it and I cancelled the account. Oh and btw, if you want to talk to someone in the US, you MUST ask for it. I do it all the time! Screw these banks. They all do it because they CAN. They take ownership on their faults but screw the customer in the end! I believe if the company is in the US then customer service should be US based and THE INTEREST RATES THAT ARE SKY HIGH SHOULD BE ELIMINATED. It never used to be this way! But greediness comes in various packages.

Household BankPoor service

I have been calling household bank for months

1. It prevent me from logging in many time keeps on asking me for my to change my email... then go paperless... then something else.

2. It says it takes my payment online and it doesn’t

I have to keep on checking on it and do it several times before it takes...

I have called more that 10 times on it over the past few months and they keep on saying its fixed or they are working on it .. What a garbage place

I would like to know what fedgov place to complain

• Wy
                  Wykis Mar 20, 2009

Sorry to hear about your business with Household. Appearantly you're not the only one. Here is a website that can help you fidn the information you need and file a complaint against them: http://sanjose.bbb.org/Home.aspx . I'm going to file a complaint about their services as well. As long as no one tells them about their poor service, nobody will know. In some cases, all it takes is few complaints to bring their unconventional practices to surface.

Vladimir Estragon Jun 16, 2010

All these things they are doing to you they are doing to me also. Its all part of the Scam they are running to charge late fees and raise customers interest rates. They are simply common criminals

Household BankUnauthorized balance transfer!

I applied for a credit card online and I put my balance transfer info on the application I wanted to transfer 8, 500.00 from my discover card., well I was only given a credit limit of 1, 000.00, so there was no way of transferring that balance but instead of calling me first household bank went ahead and transfered 850.00 without my consent first, and i am not even the card holder on the discover card so they didn't even check that first. When I called them to tell them they made a mistake they told me there was nothing they can do about it!

Household Bank — Scam and theft!

I would like to start by saying this company refuses to help me, or anyone I know that utilizes their...

Household BankStay away from the service they offer!

I received a promotion in the mail for a preapproved credit card. It was associated with Best Buy so I figured it was legit. I reviewed the Terms and Conditions and it was a standard card with no annual fee and decent rates. I opted for the 'Account Shield' protection program cause it seemed reasonable. I then used the card a few times and set up online payment through their web site. Here's where they got me. I charged the card up to within $10 of the limit. I set up a payment and it came out of my bank without any issues. what then happened is they held the payment for about 5 days without crediting my account. This put a pending charge on my account for the amount of the payment. Now, we all know that payment is sitting in a big account somewhere earning .003% daily. So, it makes sense for them to hold it as long as possible. They stated that the system will do it automatically. While waiting for the payment to 'clear' I was out of the $$ in my bank account and couldn't use the card. Then the statement was released and there was an over limit charge of $35. I checked online and it showed that the 'account shield' actually put the balance over the limit. Had the payment 'cleared' I would've been $100 below the limit and had no problems... It's a shady way of doing business.

The card is OK as long as you just use it for purchases at retail stores. No gas, No cash, and DO NOT use their on-line bill pay. The best way to pay them is through your own bank because it's usually sent electronically so if they try to charge you late fees you can dispute it through your bank.

• Pa
                      Pamala Jul 30, 2008

I had the secure plus..lost my job ans did not file a claim for 4 months.. was told that I had only 120 days to file therefore I could not get paid under the plan..

• Wy
                      Wykis Mar 20, 2009

Similar thing actually happened to me too. In my case thoug, they charged me $35 for a returned payment fee. And the on top of that a late fee. When I called my bank to find out what had happened and why were Household denied a payment, they told me that no payments were denied. After calling HH and explaining it to the representative (which by the way didn't understand a single word in English and kept asking me if I would like to make a payment) i got to talk to a manager. Manager told me to obtain a letter from my banks manager stating that no payments were denied and fax it to their Monitory Research Department. Did it twice, because after the first time nothing happened, and eventually they asked me to send a 2'nd copy. It took them about 7 months to finally come up with an answer: they'll refund $70 (late fee and denied payment) but they can't do anything about the otehr $230 because according to them I should have paid and made account current by paying from a different bank account. Even though there is part of my fault (I could'v opened a new account), I really don't think I should be spending any of my money because my credit card issuer messes up so big. Long story short, don't do business with Household. Which is part of HSBC. However, another credit card by HSBC rom Best Buy, never ever have I had any problems with them.

Household BankConsumer, beware of Household Bank!

When I opened above credit cards with Household Bank I also purchased their credit card insurance. I became disabled and after numerous attempts Household (self-insured) finally activated my disability claim. This was a devastating road, because the insurance claim department was always late in making the payments (same financial institution!!!). When my doctor declared me permanently disabled, the credit card insurance paid off the balance. However, the interest rate on my credit card went up from 17.9% to 29.0%! (due to the late payments the Household Bank credit card insurance department had made). I called Household Bank and spoke to a supervisor who agreed to decrease the interest rate to the original rate of 17.9% and advised me that a letter would follow-up. I received the letter apologizing for the error, because they felt that the interest rate would be indeed 29.0% instead! I closed both accounts with Household Bank! Talking about crooks! How can Household Bank do this? Their corporate office is in the State of Nevada and this may be the reason why their state laws are more flexible...

CONSUMER, BEWARE!!!