Redbox Automated Retail Logo

Redbox Automated Retail

Having problems with Redbox Automated Retail?

1 Tower Ln Ste 900
Sat6:00 AM - 12:00 AM
Sun6:00 AM - 12:00 AM

Complaints & Reviews

unauthorized charge

Looked like it was a great idea - movies at the grocery store for only $1.00 a night. I have used it many times the past 2 years. However, one day I noticed Redbox charged me $24.99 on my credit card; when I called, they said I had not returned a movie I had rented. Problem was, I definitely returned that movie the next day as it was always been the case every time I rent at Redbox. Customer service claimed that the system showed that the dvd was returned only after 25 days later.

Even I did nothing wrong, I still got charged $24.99 with NO appeal. From hereon, Redbox loses another customer. I WILL NEVER RENT A DVD FROM THIS COMPANY AGAIN!!!???!?!?!

• Bo
    bogsllc Apr 19, 2010

no customer service

I tried to rent a movie online Tuesday morning, and the confirmation email said you have rented "" - with no title. I assumed something had went wrong, so I emailed and told them of my problem, and requested a refund - I did not have time to mess with it that morning. It is now been two days, and I have not heard back. At one time, Redbox had good customer service, but that is apparently not the case any longer. I will start using retail movie rentals again. Too bad, I did like Redbox.

asilkybush May 08, 2011

redbox has faantastic service, i had a similar problem but called in, instead of emailing. great resolve. everything was fixed in less then 3:45 seconds, by a customer representive named dustin. dang. and he had such a soothing voice too...

saucebaws May 09, 2011

i called in once and got dustin he was sooo... nice helped me with all my issues even the ones that have nothing to do with redbox(wink wink)
    did you know... hes got a PHD in talking sexy.. ohh yehh he will service you..all the way

charges

I liked Redbox... until they decided to say I did not return a movie... which i know I did and they charged me $25.44. I have had so much difficulty returning movies to their kiosks. but ultimately, I want to knwo why I was never notified before that I supposively did not return this movie. I wouldn't care if i had the movie because it costs nearly $20 for a DVD... I emailed my complaint, and someone answered and ask me a series of questions about what their kiosk said. I wrote back explaining how i continuously have trouble returning movies (their screens freeze or their full so you cant put a movie in), but no one has responded back. I told them to look at my rental history, i've always returned my movies the very next day. It's total BS and if they don't return my money then I'm done.
I'd like to know how they expect us to prove that their machine malfunctioned.

• Mm
    mmiller2 Jan 06, 2011

A DVD was rented in late August, 2010 and returned the next day. The DVD in the case did not match the title on the case. On January 4, 2011, our account was debited for $36.43. Customer service was called and we were told the movie was not returned. The best they could do was refund us $15 in 7-10 business days. The supervisor did state that he would have the box 'serviced'. and if the movie was located, the remaining balance would be refunded. It is unlikely that the movie will be found, and I have to call back next Tuesday to obtain a status. A charge 5 months after the fact is completely unacceptable and there is little recourse. I will be sending an email via "Contact Us" at redbox.com, as well as writing to the CEO of Coinstar, the parent company of Redbox. We will not be using Redbox again!

asilkybush May 08, 2011

you should have called instead of emailing Redbox, you might have gotten a schmoozin sounding guy named Dustin. Oh man he has such a nice voice im sure he could have helped you.. mmmmmMMMMMMM

saucebaws May 08, 2011

mmmm dustin hes so tasty over the phone !like sweet sauce on my body
    ohhh YEHHHH...

asilkybush May 08, 2011

that dustin.. he really is

unhappy with product

i want 52.01 back on to my card (walmart prepaid i have let them know i want it back) very unhappy with the product. and they have abbused the info i have provided

• Dw
    dwyatt4994 Mar 22, 2010

I do not understand complaint? I need to see a detail of why there is dissatisfaction with the service, the service is $1.00 a day for redbox rentals and after $20 they stop charging the card, so how can there be a 52.01 charge?

RedBox CSR Aug 23, 2010

They stop charging after $24 + tax (for DVDs). If his charge is bigger it's because he didn't return 2 movies. I'm assuming "abusing the info" was they automaticcaly charged his account so when he went to use it there was nothing on there.

• Ra
    Ramesh Akula Mar 24, 2014

I had given enough business in the past and even recommended my friends to Redbox. Today, I have rented a game of Auto grand theft. You need to order 2 discs to play this game. First disc loads the game and the second disc allows you to play the game. Second disc was not working so my son couldn't play the game. We have returned within two hours and conveyed the message to them. The
    rep says since one disc is working only one disc rental will be returned. Bunch of uneducated fools. I would not rent ever from Redbox.

lack of customer service/refund due

I am writing about Redbox's HORRIBLE customer service. I have sent emails THREE days in a row stating that I need a refund for one night's credit, since the machine was down when I first tried to return my movie. I have not heard anything back and plan to call the 800 number again this evening. I tried calling immediately when I got home the other night and no one answered for approximately 15-20 minutes. Ridiculous customer service! If this isn't resolved INSTANTLY when I call and demand to speak with a manager, we will NEVER be renting from Redbox again! And I will publish my experience on as many websites as possible so that others know of their terrible customer service!

Chris_GR Jan 11, 2011

I had a positive experience with their customer service. It occurs to me that your are expecting an awful lot for your $3.00 worth of business. Just call back when they aren't busy! Unfortunate about the email, but still, I would not describe their customer service as "horrible".

unworking movie, bad service

I had rented several times from Redbox, mostly without error. Its a good 25% chance, however, (In my experience), that one will receive a non-functional DVD.
I had just paid for these rentals not wanting to hassle with their (or what they call their) "Customer Service".

No longer. I rented once again..sigh, and it was a non-functional DVD.

I emailed customer service and asked them what I should do with this DVD as I did not want to return it to the machine for another unlucky customer to retrieve and then be charged..
They told me to return it and that I would be refunded.

No later than 2 days after I a) attempted to return the dvd to its source. (It was broken) b) had to find another redbox in my city to return it c)returned the dvd, I was charged 9.08, 1.08, and an additional 10.08...so, 20.16$ to rent a broken DVD.

Redbox states they will now not refund my money. I suggest everyone take the additional step to file a complaint with BBB. There are more than enough people here to file a classaction against Redbox. You won't be paid out much I am sure, but atleast it will finally give the proper image of this company.

I am so frustrated, I hope people read these boards and do not rent from Redbox.

RedBox CSR Aug 21, 2010

The three charges you mentioned are not all for 1 DVD. You are being charged for another movie that was late.

• Co
    complin'americans. Sep 10, 2010

You must have known that you would be charged for additional nights if the dvd was not returned ; It has always been the way redbox works, you should have thought about the fact that emailing probably wasn't the fastest method of getting something like this resolved and called the 1-800 number, as the customer support agents over the phone are able to do more and could've let you know to return the disk asap so you wouldn't be charged. Ultimately it was your choice to keep the disk for that long, we didn't ask you to or force you to, and we make it very obvious that you will be charged for additonal nights in the event that the dvd is kept longer than the initial first night ; Redbox does it's best to please our customers, but they also cannot be issuing refunds left and right or else we wouldn't be able to even afford customer service. Take responsibility for your own actions.

• Ju
    just1ce Oct 16, 2010

Nah, ill stay with Netflix; Their service AND customer support beats you out, bar none.

Warning to prospective customers: Don't rent from this company; broken discs, bad attitude, no customer appreciation, and unwillingness to accept fault in obvious cases.

fraudulent activity

I received an e-mail on 12/23/09 stating that I had rented three movies in Phoenix AZ totaling $3.25. I do not live in Phoenix and I have never been to Phoenix. I sent it to RedBox right away saying that this was a fraudulent transaction. I heard back after Christmas 12/30/09 asking if my account had been charged as well because sometimes the e-mail just gets sent to the wrong place. My account had been charged so I contacted my bank to report it as well as give me a new card. I e-mailed Red Box to let them know that my account had been charged and what they are able to do to get this resolved. I received no response. I e-mailed again and finally heard a response today 1/15/10 saying that I had to fax them paperwork that I had to report this to the local authorities and the cancelled card. For 3.25 I'm going to go to the local authorities??!! And then they e-mail me saying that they did not receive the movies back and proceed to ask me the following five questions:

1)Did you have any problems when you returned the DVD?
2) When did you return the DVD and to what location?
3) What did the machine tell you when you returned the DVD?
4) Did you have to try more than once to return the DVD before the machine accepted it?
5) Did the screen confirm the DVD was returned successful?

HELLO!!! I'm e-mailing you because this was fraudulent and I did not rent these movies. So clearly, if I didn't rent them, how could i have attempted to return them. It's too bad because I have been a huge advocate for Redbox and had they handled this situation in a more professional and helpful manner, then I would still be a loyal customer.

• Tx
    txgirl1961 Mar 21, 2010

Warning- don't use redbox! I rented two movies and returned both to the same box within 24 hours. several weeks later I was charged for both at $25.98 each. i called after the charges were on my credit card and the company claims I never returned the dvd's.

Being a college educated, honest person who returned the dvd's on time and to the same box, I got the run around and 'scripted' customer service lines that the dvd's weren't in their 'system'.

Very disappointed in how they scan (or don't scan) correctly and I'm out money for two videos that they have.

overcharged

Redbox is a ripoff and pratices shady business. I reserved a couple of movie on their website on NewYears Eve. When my Husband went to pick the movies up the machine refused my credit card stating that it was not the card on record. I knew this wasn't true but didn't worry about it since the box didn't release the movise. We later received a free rental code via email apologizing for some boxes being full. I thought this was a great gesture to keep business. Little did I know that redbox had already charged my account for the 2 movies we reserved but couldn't retrieve. I called the customer service number and was on hold for approximately 20 minutes only to be told by the rep that this is their pratice and I should have called earlier to complain. Finally she refunded my money back to my card and said to me...again...that in the future I need to call earlier. I advised that would not be a problem since I plan on NEVER using redbox again! I'm going back to Blockbuster. Someone needs to blow all redboxes up and send them back to where they came from.

RedBox CSR Aug 21, 2010

1. Why wouldnt you call right away?
    2. The only time the machine won't recognize your card, is when you reserved at the wrong box. Next time pay attention to your reservation confirmation. Don't post lies on the internet.

• At
    Atitus Dec 21, 2013

A similar thing happened to me today. I reserved 3 movies at the grocery store near my house, terminal B. I had to double check my on my phone, which I used to make my reservation. Only 2 were available because the other was rented by another user according to the redbox, which means someone had to of rented it within the time it takes for me to walk across the street. The worst part was, when I went to check out using my credits from my redbox subscription, it would not allow me to rent the movie. What's the point in having "free rental credits" if they don't work? Luckily there was an independent movie rental machine adjacent to the redbox, which I used with ease. I still can't figure out how to cancel my subscription, it's like a trap. If you try to use the online chat help, it's always busy; same with the customer service line, and they don't just have an email address you can use to get help, I had to search around Google for that. Don't waste your time folks. Two thumbs and zero stars for redbox.

Redboxcare Jan 05, 2014

Sorry you're having trouble using your credits and canceling your subscription. Feel free to email [email protected] and we'll assist you with any of the issues you're having.

don't ever use redbox was charged over $100 for movies returned

Red box may seem like a dream come true for DVD rentals, a dollar a day, the truth is they make the rest of...

redbox complaints...

I am sooooo sick and tired of everyone complaining about everything that goes wrong when they use Redbox...

Sometimes people should take responsiblity for their actions.

It's simple, $1.00 per dvd, per day. How hard is that. If you can't return your Dvd you can call anytime between the hours of 7am and Midnight CST to receive assistance. And you will get it if you call withing 72 hours of your issue. Grow up and START READING THE FINE PRINT... I also love how you can got to Redbox competitors site and complain!!! I bet this complaint won't stay up longer that 1 day if it stays up that long!!!

• Un
    unchienne Apr 27, 2010

Sometimes people do complain about stupid things...things that are more their fault than not, but some do have valid complaints against Redbox. I wouldn't discount all of them. My own experience was of no fault of my own. Redbox did return the money, but I haven't been back.

late fees

I rented a movie from Redbox. Turned it in on November 26 2009. Redbox provided me a receipt for turning it in on Dec 4, 2009. Spent 25 Minutes on the phone mostly waiting for a Redbox customer service rep. They are refunding my money which I have to wait around 6 days for. On top of that Redbox says that they cannot provide any kind of retribution for spending all that time waiting on them.

The customer service rep said that sometime the movies don't check in and they fall to the bottom. In which case you should call them immediately. Not everyone has 25 minutes to spare.

Simply dont use Redbox.

Poor customer service is what I call it.

• Sl
    slolo420 Oct 16, 2011

You got your money back, and I don't see what your problem is? .. if you bought groceries and a loaf of bread was bad, do you think the grocery store would give you more than another loaf of bread to replace the moldy load? Do you think they are going to give you gas money and coupons for Halloween candy??

unfair practices

Redbox had a terrific thing going (and drove all the other video retailers nuts, and most out of business!). But alas, now that they're gone, Redbox hopes to capture their 'lost/forgotten' business, i.e. the older movies that were popular 5-10-15 years ago. What's the gripe? They are doing it at the expense of confusing customers!

Instead of putting the year of release, they're putting all the old movies in the new releases--fooling--as in, deceiving, the customer into believing it is a brand new movie. UNFAIR!

Case in point, The Gift. This was a good movie released in the 1990's. In late 2009, Redbox puts it in with its New Releases without announcing or putting an original date of release. The result, many (most?) people renting this movie believe their getting a new movie ... instead of Redbox's release of an OLD movie. That's deceptive and unfair, isn't it?

Why don't they have the integrity to state the "original" release date and let the consumer decide whether she/he wants to rent an older movie--instead of one they are claiming is a New Release. Shame on them.

Maybe if enough of us regular users complain, they might get the message and STOP this deceptive business practice.

RedBox CSR Aug 26, 2010

If you paid as much attention to the titles as you did to your Big Mac, then you'd see that the screen says the original year of release right in the title. For example... The Karate Kid (1984). I found it funny that you chose to not use a specific example... Because there isn't one.

asilkybush May 09, 2011

yeahhhhHH! redbox CSR tell the noob how it is!

asilkybush May 09, 2011

you wouldnt happen to know dustin would you?

unauthorized credit card charges

They claimed I didn't return dvd's reted from them and I was charged $52.44 for this even though I returned them, but they offer no form of receipt when they are returned. Do not rent from these people. I have seen muliple complaints about this company online for the same thing, someone should investigate their business practices.

• Hu
    Humandinuke1 Jul 02, 2010

They have receipts sent out via email because of a federal law stating no one is allowed to see movies you've rented without your permission.

• Un
    Unhappy1959-1 Apr 15, 2014

I was just charged $25.00 for a DVD that I returned the following day that they had no record of. I was very leary siince I did not return in the same location. When I called that said they would credit $10.00 so I asked them what if it comes up in the next two weeks will they credit my account the remaining $15.00 and they said no. What a scam. I will not be using Red Box again. Back to the video store.

credit card charges

Purely a scam artist. If you don't receive an electronic receipt for your rentals you'll end up being charged $26.10 for every DVD you rented even if you honestly returned them. They will just claim that you never returned them and they have no choice but to charge you for the DVDs. I'm pretty sure there are hundreds if not thousands who have been victimized by this kind of modus operandi by the REDBOX company. BBB (Better Business Bureau) should take action gainst their fraudulent charges to all innocent customers who has been victimized!

• Di
    Disgusted and Determined Dec 03, 2009

I am currently waging a campaign to be refunded in excess of $60 from Redbox, that were fraudulent. I was charged twice for same movies, plus late charges.

ripped off-illegal changes

I used to think Red Box was great, even recommending it to all my firiends and family. That was until they charged me not once but TWICE for dvd's that I most defnitely returned. This is how they operate:

-Rented DVD at store, put in debit card
-returned dvd next day
-TWO months later Red Box charged me $25.44
-I called customer service, they say I didn't return it (I DID!!!)
-Customer service "pings" the kiosk and low and behold the movie is there.
-Customer service says they will give a credit but I may have to wait 10-14 days

Round two:

-Redbox keeps trying to charge my Pay Pal debit card $25.44
-I call and they say it is for another movie I haven't returned (I DID!!!)
-I say "ping" the box and find it
-This time they say the box automatically checks returns everyday and they can not ping the box
-I tell them about round one, they have no record of it
-They also say they have service technicians who check inventory weekly
-I say I need a credit and they refuse
-I talk to the supervisor who basicaly l calls me a liar, but I do get a credit

Bottom line...do not use Red Box. It will cost you if you aren't paying attention to your online banking.

overcharges

After returning a DVDPlay to a Red Box kiosk by mistake and discovering the problem with extra charges for a dvd that I didn't have in my possesion, I was furious that a Red Box machine just took my DVD even though it knew it was not a Red Box DVD. Red Box basically stole my DVD and their customer service is 100% complete crap. Yet, DVDPlay continues to charge and make lots of money on DVDs eaten by Red Box kiosks, so they are coming out way ahead, too. It would be interesting to find out if the two companies are in bed with each other. What a scam meanwhile, we are all being scammed. Pay attention when returning your dvds both machines look very similiar. Never again to use either redbox to rent either. Fool me once shame you fool me twice shame on me. Redbox you don't stand a chance. Experience is the best teacher.

• Do
    Dodgrblu Oct 20, 2009

Sheesh; you are right, this is a total ripoff. These companies both report as either "DVD Play Campbell" or "DVDPLay" on credit receipts. Obviously, the companies are related. This will be a class action lawsuit. There is no way that these companies can get away with allowing you to return a DVD to thier kiosk if they are going to claim that it's not their DVD and still have the other company charge you.

• Yo
    youngkim2 Oct 26, 2009

I too rented a dvd from dvdplay and returned it to a redbox. I'm still trying to get the dvd back...
    I was told by a customer service person at Redbox that Coinstar owns both companies. I don't understand why they would use the same color box AND why wouldn't they design the machine such that one doesn't accept the other?? OR, now here's a novel idea, if they are both owned by the same company, make it okay to return to EITHER one! I'm taking my complaints up a notch and contacting the public relations dept. at Coinstar. What is supposed to be an inexpensive option has turned into an expensive, time consuming one for me.

• Do
    donotdiscard Jan 18, 2010

My letter to DVD Play,
    LAWSUIT ON THE WAY!!!
    I would like more of an explanation of your scandalous practices! I spoke with (2) different CSR who's main with DVDPlay and (1) with Redbox. I feel as a customer I have not been treated properly. I have a HUGE issue with not being notified at least 44 day's ago that I still had a movie that was outstanding. You owe this to your customers. You are no better than REDBOX by letting us stay confused. I feel that the CSR's did nothing to keep me as a customer and blames REDBOX for the confusion??? I can see that now but DVDPlay could alert customers much sooner now that you have knowledge of what I have been told was a major problem. I work for a major law firm that initiates Class action Lawsuits on behalf of people like myself who been deceived due to unscrupulous practices . It is the law that you notify people of late fees or pending charges. You do not have a dispute resolution center. I need to be contacted on how you intend to treat customers better in the future. The customer is not even important to you. It is our problem that we are paying a late fee for a movie that we will never own????? What ever happened to customer satisfaction? I received half of a credit. That is NOT satisfactory, If customers were notified long ago of having an outstanding movie, the problem would be resolved in a timely matter I am sure. I did not find out until today 47 day's later? Surely this has lawsuit written all over it. It is not too frivolous to me that DVDPlay is WELL aware of this problem and stands idly by as confused customers are charged outstanding fees for movies they thought they had returned without ever being notified of still having an outstanding movie with DVDPlay. I was told today by (2) of your own reps that the number one reason for late fees is that people return the movies to redbox without realizing it. You know this and don't even inform people until it is far too late???

• Cs
    cscjmc Jan 26, 2010

I too fell into this trap. I will never again rent from either Redbox or DVD play. Redbox still hasn't found the movie I mistakenly put into their kiosk. The only option I have is to change my credit card # so DVD play cannot charge me back the 50% refund for the mixup. I was charged $25 plus tax 45 days after the movie was due. Not one email until the 45th day showing the charge was coming. I called DVD play and the CSR was rude. I fired off two emails to customer service, called Redbox, and called DVD play back. The second CSR was much nicer and agreed to refund 50%, based on the movie being returned, if Redbox finds the movie. YES, at one point they were somewhat related. Redbox first used old DVD play kiosks. They rebranded them until Rebox got their own manufacture for the kisosk. Its not worth the hassle to rent movies this way. I am done. I will tell everyone about the issues. Word of mouth is a company's worse enemy.

• 1t
    1tomcoz1 Feb 03, 2010

Me too, I got scammed too. What kind of an attorney do we need to stop this. Two movies that I rented and returned two days later are now costing me over $100.00 because of overdraft fees and 20 days of rental fees

• 1t
    1tomcoz1 Feb 03, 2010

I got scammed too. What kind of attorney do we need to stop this. Between bank overdraft fees and 20 days of rental fee's on two movies that I returned two days after renting them is costing me over $70! Someone please help!

• St
    starr1 Mar 09, 2010

Yep same thing happened to me. No email no nothing... I had to pay rent late that month because they just up and took the money out of my account... So not only was I charged 50 bucks for movies I returned to redbox and another 150 bucks late to rent... This is unreal. I contacted dvdplay and they refunded half and told me to get my movies back. So I called redbox and I still have not received any movies... Its been almost a month... I'm changing my account number today so I can get out of this scheme. I cant believe a company like this is allowed to do such a thing. If you buy something from walmart and try to take it back to target their not going to take it... So how is this any different?

• Me
    mearbear Jun 08, 2010

Count me in also! Not a single notification that they had not received their DVD back until 45 days later when they charged my account for the full cost of the DVD. I could not get anywhere with the CSR's and asked to speak with a supervisor. I was given two names to try to contact the next day. Only one supervisor was in and she told me she could not help me and that I needed to speak to the other supervisor...wtf?. I have tried and tried to contact her and cannot seem to get a return call. I was never even offered 50% back. To top things off, this all happened about 1 week after the company I was working for closed. No, that is not DVDPlay's fault, but I was counting on what little money I had left in my account. I, too, am among those that will never rent from those boxes again! I read on another site, where they don't have two kinds of Red colored boxes in the town, and people were returning them to the proper box and for some reason it wasn't scanning the bar codes. I will be amongst the first to sign up for the class action! I hope Karma bites them all in the a$$ big time!

• Ps
    PSDTrucker Jul 19, 2010

I have also had the same issue and received only a generalized email in return asking me to "...please review the below questions." The first two of which asking, "Do you rent from Redbox? Have you returned any DVDs to Wal-mart, Walgreens, McDonalds, Albertson or Fry?s stores?" (Copy and pasted directly from the email) It is obvious to me that they are aware of the problem and have done nothing to fix it. Further more, on both occasions, the only reason the movies were returned to another location was because the machine I had rented them from would not take them. I have been charged over $104 for 4 movies that I do not have and I would be willing to bet have already been returned to DVDplay after having been removed from the Red Box kiosk.

broken equipment

I rented a movie online and was promptly charged for on my credit card. When I went down to pick up the movie I found that the vending maching was broken and had an out of order sign on it. I called Redbox to notify them and the said that they would refund my money. Why are they even charging me. I never picked up the movie. I went into the Walgreens and spoke to the lady a the counter and she told me that I was far from the first person to report that machine and they keep taking reservations for movies to be dispensed from this maching. While I was there several people people came up, shook their heads disgustedly and drove away. I ran into those same people 2 blocks down at Blockbuster a little while later. If the machine is down they ought to be able to take it offline on their website.

• Aa
    aaaaaaaaaaaa Dec 28, 2009

Same exact thing happened to me. And I can't seem to get a hold of customer service. I call their number and it just rings and rings and rings. Total ripoff. Total fraud.

took my money!!! overcharged!!

I have spent a lot of money renting videos from Redbox - Never Again!! Last week, I returned 3 movies and the...

unauthorized charges

I've been using Redbox for rentals for the past six months. There are two kiosks in my supermarket and I...

charging fees when video returned already

I rented several movies and returned the same movies. Now, over 60 dollars has been charged to my credit card...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices