RAC Motoring Services / RAC GroupAwful service

B Review updated:

I am Barclays Bank Customer, I have addition plus account which collects almost £14.50 from my current account every month. Against this amount; they promised to provide me some services like RAC (Car Road side assistance), medical insurance and some other services. I am paying this amount to Barclays banks since long. Today on 21st of April, 2009 my car broke down when I left my office at 5:40 and car did not start. I contacted to RAC, they said they will come to me between 50 to 90 minutes to provide me help. They also said whoever is coming to you will contact you when he is about 10 minutes away from you. As per this statement I should wait at least 80 minutes which was already long enough. After waiting 90 minutes, when I contacted them again to inform no one is here and I am still waiting... I was afraid by hearing their response that they have not got any person to come to me and I might have to wait for more 2 to 4 hours. I replied them, you could inform me about this in start so I could have gone in time to home instead of wasting my time here in car park after spending my whole day in office. They said we cannot do any thing. We can only say you to wait but we cannot promise any thing. I dont think this was worth. I called to Barckays people to complain about RAC because I was paying to Barclays. They transferred me to RAC and they again after wasting my more 20 minutes promised to call me back in 10 minutes but never called back in next another hour. So finally wasting my almost 3.5 hours I left that place and left my brother there with the car; who has contacted to a mechanic who has promised to come and provide service by getting huge fees. Now I am planning to speak to my Solicitor and will discuss with him what can I do agains Barclays and RAC.

I would request to all new users to not business with Barclays and not to get service of RAC so atleast they will know what loss they can get by not providing required service to their customers.

• Ju
    Judgemenot Dec 05, 2009

RAC provide great service. British people always moan when they dont get what they want and always want to get legal action started. It doesnt solve the problem. Impatience deserves to wait!

allahs dead Mar 27, 2017

@Judgemenot would people who work for the rac stop reading this website. Aussie brian

• El
    Electropainter Jul 12, 2017

@Judgemenot Not answering breakdown phone number for 50 minutes is a great service?

• Da
    davylad36 Jun 07, 2010

My wife and 3 children the youngest was 2 years old broke down at 8.30 pm on a motorway and she was recovered at 1.30 am

• Ba
    barnese Jun 15, 2010

RAC in my opinion do not proivde a great service! I broke down 4.30pm, lone female quiet area. Called RAC who said they would have someone out within 90 minutes after 90 minutes I called back and was put in a queue, tried several times but didn't g et to speak to anyone, luckily after 3 hours my husband had managed to get to me and re start my car. Tried calling RAC to tell them...but couldn't get through! Gave up and went home. AT 1AM!! I received a call from RAC to say someone would be with me shortly 8 1/2 hours after original call, you can imagine my reaction!! All I can say is thank goodnesss my husband was able to get to me!
    I will not be renewing my membership!

• Dr
    drivenmad1 Jan 26, 2011

I have had virtually the same experience a week ago. From the moment I phoned the RAC (via Barclays) to actually getting home (43 miles) it took 5 hours (and the 15 minute advice call didn't materialise either, which, when you are sat in a dark car park, on your own, on a frosty evening, would have been welcomed). This included the RAC chap having to stop and put fuel in his van (which also had a mechanical problem, which didn't inspire confidence!) Barclays weren't concerned at all, and just wanted to sell me a different package after I cancelled my Additions Plus. So much for Customer Service, which apparently doesn't exist at either of these companies.

• Ca
    carriebrandon Jan 29, 2012

i have to been at the hands of the rac broke down sat 430pm waited till 8pm with my partner my two children and im 9 mths pregnant and cant go into labour naturally as my baby is breech was left waiting till 8 we decided to cancel and stay in a hotel £60 taxi ride and hotel forked out for they agreed to be back at the car next day at 1pm we waited till 4pm man came got the clip from under the car that came off the injector bashed it back on in 10 mins took longer to fill in there questionnnaire waved us off although we said we had a long journey of 200 miles filled the car up got a mile down the road lost all the petrol AGAIN on the road we now know could of set the car alight and petrol went on the break pads causing it to skid as we pulled up.. now sat on a wet grass verge all of us for 2 hrs they cant get a taxi to us as there company wouldnt take our small dog plus wouldnt stop on the motorway so the advised us to walk to the services! and couldnt hire us a car as we only had our card license with us not the paper one ! i got blood pressure feet swelled up nearly passed out now booked in to see my midwife early cos of the stress of it all they ended up getting someone else to recover us leaving us on the motorway in the cold with the kids freezing for 2 hrs ... never will use them ever again

Matthew H Sep 25, 2012

My car broke down in France, was diagnosed by a 3rd garage after the first 2 couldn't/wouldn't repair for over 2 weeks. My car was repatriated for repair, but several major engine parts are missing (throttle body, rocker assembly, and god knows what else). RAC says if the removed parts were not specifically requested to be repatriated with the rest of the car, then the French garage will keep them and 'recycle' them. Sounds like Pierre has helped himself to whatever he wanted. I asked the RAC about their choice of garage and the legality of stealing parts from my car, and they says it's between me and the French garage.

I'm phoning (1) the RAC, (2) my insurance company, (3) the Police, (4) the lawyers (5) Insurance Ombudsman, (6) Association of British Insurers, (7) Financial Services Authority, (8) Watchdog

• Ke
    kettlewell local May 08, 2013

One of your drivers that live in Kettlewell Skipton has told an 11 Year old child who has a Disability while in his RAC uniform, to get out of our village and we do not want you here.

• Ra
    RACkedoff Sep 27, 2014

We broke down in a remote area and were left stranded in the pitch black for 6 hours. The initial call at quarter to seven gave us hope when they said someone would arrive in 75 minutes. After waiting an hour and half we called back only to be told there would be another half hour wait. This mystical half hour was to be the forerunner to many more half hours. The mechanic eventually arrived at 10pm but the car was irreparable and we would have to wait for a pick up truck to take us home. Desperate for a natural break and a drink, not having eaten since noon, we took up his offer to take us to a pub. As the truck was only half an hour away and the temperature had dropped drastically we opted to wait there. Now stranded, the pub closed we shivered whilst we ranted at the RAC demanding to know where this driver was, only to be told it could be another hour before he could reach us. The truck never arrived, they sent the first mechanic back who had attended 3 hours earlier, he hooked us up to his van and drove us home, arriving at 4am. RAC had sub-contracted the work, they do not have the resources nor can they provide cover. Thank you RAC for your appalling service.

Mark Innes Nov 29, 2015

i called them at 2pm after 4x promises and no calls at all, freezing, i had to call a friend to tow me, they just lied to me, one girl had a pretend conversation with a driver, as after the famous 90 min, well after 100 minits, give them a chance..call again to be told the did not order a truck at all. but no calls, stuck on double yellows in a cycle lane fighting off wardens. they are a joke who lie, mislead, and just have not got the capability to do the job in hand. they are thousands of complaints like mine. we should all call watch dog there is anf for a good show.

• Ra
    RAC unfit for purpose Jun 19, 2016

RAC are breakdown from hell farce. 4 hours to attend breakdown. No diagnostic adaptor for computer fault determination. Car running by then prior to them arriving. Send car off home 6 miles NOT following car. Breaks down again within 1 mile ! Another 1 hour wait. Tows car to home 5 miles and promises relay will take car onto garage 9am following day. No pick up. Midday promise they'll be there by 2pm. At 2pm recovery phone demanding extra £35 +vat to take car onto garage... Eventually relent. They finally get car to garage 5pm. Fault was simple wire to injector 1 on diagnostic computer which could have been done at roadside within 20 minutes. £249 diesel specialist invoice over wire fault, diagnostic and a secondary minor fuel leak from injector 4 not related to breakdown. Wasted over 5 days, including car hire costs. Unending phone calls, let downs, failings, ineptness. Complete waste of time and money, unfit for purpose breakdown outfit !!

Alan swann Aug 03, 2016

I have full rac membership, couldnt access my car last night cause key failed, rac sent an agent who could not open the car.exlained we were out for meal celebrating end of wifes cancer treatment and needed to get home to take the cancer drugs.all was good till i told him we had our old labrador with us then he refused to take us home.we had to check into a hotel and got back home today about 3.00.

allahs dead Mar 27, 2017

what are we paying for ? same slack service, you lot cannot complain about the service because there is, nt one same as Australia its like farming manure once your cows start farting there's no product, moral " you cant live on promises:.

• Wi
    Wild Hound Aug 20, 2018

Unbelievable poor service from the RAC... I am not by nature a complainer but cannot believe the service, or lack of, I received from the RAC... I'll cut the story short and just relate the facts... I phoned the RAC at 7.15pm asking for assistance. I confirmed with them that I have a heart condition and therefore needed priority attendance to which they agreed and confirmed they would be with me in 90 minutes. After 2 hours 30 minutes I called them again ( was on hold for 20 minutes before the phone was answered) was told someone would phone back to let e know what was happening...no one ever phoned me back. After 4 hours ( at 11.15 pm ) I phoned again, was on hold for 30 minutes, no one answered. at 1.40 am in the morning 6.5 hours after my request for assistance someone arrived... that's 6.5 hours for a PRIORITY call out to someone with a heart condition... the timing meant I missed important medication cycle, plus I was never kept informed or updated …. I didn't even know if anyone would turn up at all. I complained to the RAC and their response is that they cannot guarantee how long they will take to attend... 6.5 hours for a priority call …. unbelievable

• Ro
    roy fitch Sep 19, 2018

RAC IS A MICKEY MOUSE SERVICE. BROKE DOWN ON THE WAY TO STANSTED ON 15/5/18 WAS TOLD IT WILL BE OVER 3 HRS BEFORE SOMEONE WOULD ARRIVE- THAT WOULD BE 15 MINS BEFORE MY FLIGHT. THE IDIOT AT THE CALL CENTRE WHEN TOLD ABOUT THIS SAID "CAN'T YOU CATCH ANOTHER ONE" - IT IS NOT LIKE A BUS ANOTHER ONE WILL BE ALONG IN A MINUTE. COMPLAINED TO THE "RARELY AVAILABLE CLUB"; AGAIN IDIOTS IN CUSTOMER SERVICE HAVE HAD A TRIPLE COMMONSENSE BYPASS CANNOT SEE SENSE (THEY MUST BE ON A BONUS FOR OBFUSCATIONS). AWAITING DECISION FROM OMBUDSMAN.