Fancy FeastWarning

H Review updated:

One of my cats vomited after eating (not uncommon for cats) Fancy Feast Gourmet Gold dry cat food, and now my light carpet has a permanent pink stain. Yes, my cats like the taste, but color is definitely meaningless to them. The food dye (check the ingredients list) is added for us humans--not our cats. They care about taste, smell and texture, NOT color.

WARNING: If you have light carpets and a cat prone to vomiting, do NOT feed this food to them. The red food dye stain is probably permanent.

• Na
    Natalie C. Williams Nov 05, 2019

Dear Team

Re: Purina kitten chow

I have been purchasing this product for some months now and with each purchase, there appears to be what looks like some type of cobweb in the top of the bag and sometimes mixed in with the chow.

Thank you for your time and attention to the above.

Regards,
    Natalie C. Williams

• Li
    liz696 Aug 27, 2019

My cat has been eating Felix for about 6 years now, but lately she has been vomiting, getting sick, and she refuses to eat it. What is going on, I even ordered it from Germany, same thing, cat wont eat it. Definately wont be buying it again, waste of money plus sick cat.

• Why did you change the zip lock bag on the food, I hate the ones you have now

• Su
    Sue Branica Jul 20, 2019

I have pink stains on my carpet from Fancy Feast also. Is there anything that cleans it up?

ManiMasuria Dec 12, 2018

The way the van has been made caused my finger to be cut (bleeding) multiple times.

I can email you photos and video, your bandwidth for submitting photos and videos are set to too much of a smaller threshold - may work back in the 90s but not in today's age

• Co
    Coco32175 Sep 22, 2018

Same with me - with the funky bright pink/red color change happening shortly after opening can of Fancy Feast canned sliced wet food. My cat seems not to be bothered, no throwing up or upset stomach. Yet it's a total eye sore and bothers the heck outta me, regardless that it (so far seems) harmless to kitty. Hope to come across an explanation from manufacturer soon...

• Ta
    TandyandJerry Sep 16, 2018

Just happened to me, too - first time ever, and I've been giving canned food to cats for forty years!
    It definitely seems like a reaction to air exposure - some sort of pH change or something.
    Mine was not Purina, though.
    If anyone finds out for sure what this is, I'd love to know!

• Cr
    Craig Malcolm May 31, 2018

I received my order of canned ocean whitefish and tuna from Amazon
    on 5/8/18. Two of the cans of food turned red after sitting out in the dish.
    This has never happened before. Sent email to Purina, but they never responded.

So something must be wrong. When will someone do something about this.
    I have attached a pic of the food in the dish.

• Jl
    JLM516 Oct 21, 2019

@Christina in MD I don't trust buying any food or medicine online. First of all they could be selling you the same brand but from a foreign country. Second is they could be selling you a cheap item and pasting a label of the better brand on it.

• Ha
    Harry Speck Sep 06, 2018

@Craig Malcolm Did you ever find an answer to this? I have recently had the same happen and no answer yet. Thanks for any help.

Christina in MD Jul 03, 2018

@Craig Malcolm I'm wary of the Fancy Feast from Amazon. My cat has been eating less since I started buying from Amazon. I bought cans at a grocery store and compared them to the packaging from Amazon cans - the ones from Amazon were a different metal and didn't have as much engraved in the lid. The contents of the cans from the grocery store just looked and smelled better.

• Vi
    vickie omalley May 18, 2016

I don't know why they have to change the food that we have been giving them for a long time. I buy the 12 pack which I have always bought, and now I find that he throws up green which I don't know why. He is on a diet and feel the food is adding extra in the product and waste my money in trying to help my cat digest this food properly. Why don't they have this at BJ's in the 24 pack??? the one with the Broth and not the sauce.?? I give my cat the one that has the broth because he does not like the other which is the sauce, too soupy. I waste so much money in trying to get the right one for him. It is not cheap either. One can is .85 and the 12 pack is close to 10.00 with the tax. Why cant they change the flavors also instead of having, chicken, tuna and turkey all the time add the other new ones into the broth batch. I know I can buy it individually but it's easier in the 12 pack. So now I have to shop and get them separately. This is an expense for me since I also get the Dry cat food from Purina.

• Go
    golfgirlschh Dec 30, 2015

Have feed my cat Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers cat food for years... she was recently sick (vomiting what I thought was blood) and had a bout of diarrhea (with bright red, what I thought was blood). Brought her to the vet's and $400 later, from extensive testing, vet was puzzled... thought possibly IBS. Anyway, got home from work and noticed that the open can of food had partially turned red. The next morning the entire can of food was red. Pic on left can open for about 1 1/2 days, can on right newly opened. Had never had this happen before regardless of how long the can had been opened. Scared the life out of us ... thought the cat was severely sick and turns out it's the food. What's up with this???

• Ci
    cindy riordan Sep 10, 2011

This my complaint. Why do you have to put dye in fancy feast. Cats don't care what color their food is. If she vomits on my white carpet it leaves a terrible stain that can not be removed. Purina, knock it off. Stop putting junk in your cat food. My cat likes it but I can't afford to replace my carpet . I will be switching to a new brand.

• Sh
    shepmom Jul 29, 2009

Might want to avoid feeding kitty any food that you get from the grocery store as they contain not only dyes but chemical preservatives, corn and questionable protein sources.

I feed mine Innova. His fur is silky soft and he rarely vomits.