Public Storage - West Haven, CTI just want them out of my life!

This is long, so please pardon me.

I was searching for complaints on Public Storage and ran across my3cents.com.

I'm in a dilemma with Public Storage in West Haven, CT.

In March, 2006, I became homeless after my landlord did not pay her mortgage and the bank foreclosed. The bank wanted the house empty and, I was forced to place my belongings in storage. I chose public storage because of a $1.00 special they had.

When I obtained my unit, I also applied for the 3 month stay special. I was forced to stay in a hotel, that literally took all my savings. A friend found out and told me I could stay with him. But by this time, I was all out of money and had to start over trying to save, knowing I had a storage bill.

My first month prorated bill in April was $147. I paid that, but then in May, it jumped up to $211, the 2nd month. I paid it. I paid June, July and August bills of $211, sometimes $235 (late fees after the 8th).

Recently I fell behind on the payments.
I was late for my September payment. After the 8th day, they attached a late fee that made it $235. After the 15th day, they attached another $75. I called and told them I didn't have the money. That took me into October.
Late September, my part time job folded, and I had no income.

So now, I couldn't pay October bill. But I had asked the manager to bear with me. By the 3rd week of October, I found a job. But I had to wait to get paid. The storage manager agreed verbally, that I can make payments little by little until I bring the bill down. By my figurations, I thought that by the time I get paid, I would owe, about $700.

I get direct deposit, and my funds are placed every 16 and 5th of the month.
My first paycheck was in the bank on the November 5th.

On the 5th, I immediately submitted $500 to Public Storage, online payment. My bill showed that I owed $741. That would bring me late, but current with November.
On November 10th I received a letter stating that they were going to auction my unit on November 14th. I called and told them I made their payment and it went through online, it was not declined.

They stated that my bank informed them that they could not release the $500, and because they did not get the check, they were going to auction the unit.

I called my bank, and they told me that because it was a new account, certain restrictions were place on ATM and online debits for my protection. I explained to public storage the restrictions and told them that I can give them money everyday until the bill was paid. They agreed that I make weekly arrangements to pay a certain amount each week.

I kept those arrangements, took funds out of my bank everyday, and paid them the money on the day it was due. I had to make 3 payments in two weeks. The last week, Thanksgiving week, my final payment was $210. I was short $6.00. On November 28th, the day before my final payment, I informed them, and they told me that I will be charged an additional $75 if I didn't pay the $6.
By this time, I was literally crying, but arguing the reasoning behind that.... for only $6.00.

The clerk offered to put in the $6.00 if I promised to pay her back.
On November 29th, I submitted my final payment of $204 ($6.00 was put in by the clerk), to a clerk, whom I did not know of. He stamped my bill as "Paid in full".

I requested to vacate. They told me that in order to not owe another bill, I would have to vacate by November 30th, the following day. I told them, impossible, I would not have any funds until December 5th. I gave them all I had.
On the same night I paid the bill in full, I borrowed the money to get a big truck from Uhaul, paid a driver and another guy to help me move. We went to Public Storage.

I keyed in my access code, and it stated, "access denied".
But I didn't give up. The gate was open, and the guys had the idea to get my things and bring them to the gate to load the truck.
I went to my storage unit, and it had a lock on it.
Now I had no way to get my things, before the deadline, and I paid money for a truck and help. $150.
The following day, I went to Public Storage, paid the clerk her $6 and explained that I had come there the night before with a truck to get my things, but, there was a lock and I could not get them. She explained that she would have felt uncomfortable if she left my unit opened. I told her that I spent a lot of money on a truck I could not even use, and now I had no money for another truck or help.

I told her that now, the only way for me to get my things out is to use my Blazer. But that would take a while. I have 6 rooms of furniture!!
She told me that under the circumstances, she would work with me. I promised her that I will move my things out day by day, after work.

From December 1st thru December 9th, I have been moving my things day by day with my Blazer. When I got paid on the 5th, I had to pay back, the person I borrowed the money to get the truck, and that left me with only $64. So, I still don't have the money for a truck.

Today, December 10th, @6AM, I went to Public Storage and took another load.
Seems like it will take only about 4 more loads before I'm all moved out.

At 2PM, I went back to Public Storage to get another load, and my access was refused.
Now they are telling me that it's past the 8th, and before I can get anything else, I have to pay them $86.

Is there anything I can do? I won't have any more money until the 16th, and it seems that they are putting me deeper and deeper in the hole.

I can't wait to stop dealing with Public Storage. I just want them out of my life!!!

• Updated by Karen Jean Rollins · Feb 18, 2018

Gate code not accessible at 9:45pm, should be 10:00pm staff told I would remove my belongings on Thursday coming up.

• Updated by Pennie Witherspoon · Jun 22, 2018

At 3001 s ridge

• Al
    Alicia2019 Nov 20, 2019

I have chronic illness and public storage refused to listen and obeys the robot system telling the manager saying no to stop the increasing the rental increasing each 6 months I am furuous. I am on social security disability income and I am not working. WTF! Please help!

• Wi
    Wilmak727 Jul 24, 2019

I am trying to move my things out of storage after having my storage for over a year. The door to the storage space is broken and they are telling me they don't know when it will be fixed so I can't move my things out but they will charge me if my things are not out by August 1st and makes no sense!!!

• Wa
    Walter1970 Nov 13, 2018

Harbor city public storage
    Uni was broken into
    A secured, code entry... ?
    Yet, my unit has the lock picked... ?
    No log of my coded entry history ?
    Change of owner management ?
    Possible descruntal exchange ?

Your facilty is very unsafe for tenants.
    Too many blind spots.
    And far too few cameras !!!
    Sr district mgr ken
    Offered no apology

• En
    Ena Griffin Nov 13, 2018

I have been to the storage unit since June of 2011. I rented it on Bardstown Road in Louisville Kentucky. I am completely up-to-date with my payments. When I went to pay February's statement I was told that I moved out on January 14th. I was told that my 15 x 15 unit was abandoned without a lock and therefore my stuff was thrown out. Please help.

• Mo
    Moe Kasfy Nov 01, 2018

Public Storage at 791 S Azusa Ave, Azusa, CA 91702, alarm keep going off every night, need to know whats going on, also all the new LED lights they put are facing the new Condos at 711 s Azusa Ave. and we can't sleep because the LED lights and the Alarm keeps turn on all night, please email me at [email protected]

• Je
    Jennings JrK Oct 21, 2018

Within the past 60 days, someone has accessed my storage unit #D368 located at 11315 Lockwood Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20904 and stolen some of my textbooks among other things. I would like to file a grievance report and a police report, along with your assistance in obtaining your security footage.

• Ke
    Kenya Washington Oct 15, 2018

I been remind thru emails and calls on the 7th and 12th to pay my storage bill. The problem is they did nt me remind around the 1st instead the late fee charge times. Now I feel like I been set up for the late fee because I didn't know I was suppose to pay on the 1st and the property manager should have remind me around the 1st.

• Bl
    Blackshear Oct 15, 2018

The military showed up to pack me out for my PCS move. The movers got half way thru and there were roaches every were and stopped. I spoke with the manager and the District manager said that they would not charge me the following month but they did. I reached back out to the POC and has not returned my call. Can you assist with this matter?

• Yu
    Yuji Sep 19, 2018

My storage has been infested by rat droppings. Was discovered on a Sat. Now tuesday night and manager has not called to address issue. Someone on the property was storing food which caused the infestation. I was not notified of issue. Over 85% of my property has been destroyed. This is a health issue an d public storage has not done anything.

• Iv
    Ivanna Burych Sep 18, 2018

It happen September 8, we moved out from storage and asking about refund the money because they charge me September 2 for whole month. Why I need to pay for whole month, if I used the storage only 6 days. And the manager Simone was very rude and don't want to answer the question, just pointed on the door!!! Account number: [protected]

• Es
    Estter Lott Sep 05, 2018

I've had the storage unit since 2013 and they keep raising the monthly fees. Three times already!
    The third time without any notice.
    Absolutely greedy company.
    I'm going to find another company to store my stuff !

• Ai
    Aimani Aug 21, 2018

Their manager is not back on time from his/her lunch. Their suppose to be back by 2:40(the sign says on the door), it is now 2:55. I have to leave here by 3. Ironically Public Storage charges you $15!!!to pay over the phone but they're not back on time from their lunch.

• Ka
    Karen Jean Rollins Aug 20, 2018

The gate codes work until 10pm I thought. I tried at 9:45pm and my code didn't work. I had a slight emergency. 75243 Audelia, unit e1089. Karen Rollins. [protected]. Dallas. I left message with local facility, ill be there in the morning to check my contents. They were notified I will be moving on Thursday. Today's date is February 18, 2018 Sunday.

• Pe
    Pennie Witherspoon Aug 15, 2018

I've talked to her twice and both times she has been very ride that's bad for business