Privacy Protection PlusScam billing

Tried to do a free trial for credit report but it did not work. Since I used a 'garbage catcher' email to sign up for the free trial, I never checked nor acknowledged their email. It wasn't until I called them to cancel the charges after I noticed 3 monthly charges for $29.xx that they told me I had acknowledged an email. That is not true! They said they would cancel the latest charge but not the first two months. I have also filed a report with my credit card company to dispute these charges that I did not agree to.

The more people that make this complaint, the better the chances are that a class action suit could be raised since however they are creating these mythical memberships is surely fraudulent and certainly unethical.

Thanks for listening to my rant. Hope no one else gets burned.

• As
    ascetiic Nov 25, 2008

Same here. I signed up for free trial without knowing anything about any kind of membership plan.
    After signing up I was redirected to privacy protection plus page confirming my membership which I wasnt aware of.
    My wild thoughts which i was getting before signing up became reallity. :|
    I started googling about this company and came to know that they are fraud and will start deducting 29$ after a month.
    I tried calling them on the number given on website.
    Obviously no one was there to answer. The message told me to disconnect the phone and go back to website.
    I got hold of them through Trans Union (One of their many partners). And this guy named geyson talked to me.
    I got my membership cancelled on the very same day. lets see if they charge me or not..

Dont even think about getting any free credit card report.

Wastage of time and money!!!

• Se
    Sean Fowlie Dec 11, 2008

I fell victim to this scam. I called and a Yahoo named "Anthony" said that ihad signed up for this service and another one call 24 hour assistance. I did no such thing yet was billed 29.95 for each of theses services. As I do not recal ever providing my Credit card info I suspect that they were using phising software to grab my personal info. I told them I did not order their services and that they were a fraud. After much arguing the character on the phone said he would issue me a refund. I will be waiting to see if this in fact happens. When I asked for a mailing address he could not nor would he provide me with a physical company address. I have started a dispute claim with my credit card company. This company is fraudulent and a total scam. My next move will involve the police.

privacyplusemployee Jan 16, 2009

i am an employee of privacy protection plus...everyday i get people like you!!! let me explain something to you...###S! THIS IS NOT A SCAM.
    we offer you a free credit report as a promotion for you to join the program. we also provide you with all the necessary information to the enrollment...its called the terms and conditions. the terms and conditions are in the blue box right under where you put you credit card number and it does state that you have a 7 day trial period by which if you don't cancel in the first 7 days then there is a monthly fee of 29.95. it is YOUR responsibilty to read the terms and conditions before you put in YOUR credit card number.

YOUR CREDIT CARD...YOUR RESPONSIBILITY...can you people at least understand that? do you get it?

or if you don't want to get scammed (as you call it) the don't put your credit card number on the internet. remember children...whats yours is your responsibility, the fact that YOU entered YOUR credit card number makes you responsible.

nothappy Feb 16, 2009

Okay mister employee of Privacy Protection Plus, if you so legit where does it says that my card will be billed for $29, also, why is it impossible to speak to an actual person?

John Feb 17, 2009

In all fairness when I started to read the link it did say you'll get a free credit report when you sign up for their privacy plus membership. It doesn't have the price readily available but if you google privacy protection plus there are two links that are direct to the companies site and lots of these forums bashing the company.

Here's there address:

Write to us:
    Privacy Protection Plus
    P.O. Box 130, Stn B,
    Montreal, Qc, H3B 3J5

And there telephone number:

Call us toll free: [protected]

I have had no dealings with this company and I don't really want to be but I do agree with the guy that says he's an employee...Your Credit Card...Your Responsibility...I work for one of the major financial institutions in Canada and people have the idea of a quick credit fix or feel that you shouldn't have to pay for a credit report and guess what. Call Equifax and order your credit report for free over the phone. It won't give you your credit score but at least you can see your overall ratings on each credit facility. I'm not too familiar with how TransUnion's service works but I'm sure it's very similar.

Take a look at that report that you order from Equifax...R1's and I1's...GOOD. Ask yourself honestly, "How have I been at repaying all of my debts and how much money do I have outstanding? More credit available, and cards almost to your max will reduce your score. Shopping for rates and applying for all kinds of credit will also reduce your score. For those reading this if you get turned down at one a major bank in Canada you'll probably be turned down by all so rethink shopping at each FI and reducing your credit score even further. Good credit takes years to build and days to destroy!

privacyplusemployee Feb 26, 2009

this is in response to mr. not happy. first of all im not a mister, im a mrs...get your facts straight. the 29.95$ is mentioned in the terms and condition in the blue box that titled "THE OFFER DETAILS". its right underneath to the right where you put your credit card number. i still cant belive it...we have over 3 million members that have no problem with the enrollment and that are well aware of the terms and condition and then we get ###s like you ruining our company's reputation. LEARN TO ###ING READ PEOPLE!!! if we were a scam we would not put our phone number next to the charges every month.

• Wu
    wutchagonnado Mar 05, 2009

I was also charged the $29.95 per month unknowingly. First of all the membership information regarding fees is listed beside step one of two, in which you only enter personal information. Step two of two, which contains the credit card information does not have any text indicating a dollar amount that will be charged.

When browsing the site it appears that the information is associated with the site protection, information protection and usage. The layout of the site and the automatic charges are EXTREMELY DEVIOUS AND DECEPTIVE. People trust that when entering their information they will be notified of charges. No entrant will expect non-visible recurring charges to initiate.

Further to this, the "mrs." that works for Privacy Protection Plus has about as much respect and integrity as the company itself. Telling previous clientel, unknowing clientel, but clientel none the less (###s) to, and I quote "Learn to ###ing read" is about as unprofessional as it gets.

So everyone knows, I will be commenting on this company in specific forums and sites, as well as reporting the nature of their website and charges to the BBB. Oh, and one more thing, mrs. Privacy Protection Plus: I will also be copying and using your comments, and the links to them, in this forum

• Da
    Danielle Mar 06, 2009

Ok
    I have also had a problem with this company. To the employee: YOUR COMPANY IS A SCAM!!! Your credit card your responsibility. I agree with that statement, but I never signed up to have my credit score checked. I had never even heard of your company. I do not usually do business transactions with my credit card over the internet. However, in March 08 I did order some flowers from sears for my mother. I think that your company somehow signed me on at that time. I never recieved any confirmation email, nor did I agree to the situation at all. So, mrs Privacy Protection (won't use your real name big surprise) your comment "LEARN TO ###ING READ PEOPLE!!! I want to know what was I suppose to read? Explain this to me:
    1)Why did your company have me registered under and address that I lived at in 2007. I was registered for your company in 2008 and I was living in South Korea. My current mailing address at that time was in Nova Scotia.
    2) I never got an email from your company and I never varified anything.
    FINAL QUESION: HOW DID I GET SIGNED UP WITH YOUR COMPANY WHEN I NEVER REQUESTD TO HAVE MY CREDIT CHECKED BY YOU? I NEVER WENT TO YOUR WEBSITE NOR DID I CLICK ON ANY OF YOUR POP UPS.
    I will also be complaining to everyone who will listen about this company. I hope that we can have them and others like them shut down. I think that we are all tired of companies and corporations such as Privacy Protection plus frauding people out of thier money.
    OH, AND Mrs. Privacy Protection Plus my name is Danielle Latour DON'T FORGET IT!!!

• Ju
    June Mar 06, 2009

For anyone interested in filing an official law suit against Privacy Protection Plus please contact: [email protected]
    There is proof that they are not only tricking people via thier website and service, but they are also buying and using old credit card information purchased from third parties. This is a serious situation and this company is going to have to pay. The facts are that the internet has given the "conman" new ways to improve his fraudulent activities. The employee claims that her company is not a scam...well you are wrong. Even visa does not see them as a scam...based on the fast that they are willing to charge your credit card for long periods of time. We all asume that the conman gets in fast and gets out even faster. But, this companies goal is to sign you up and charge you one time, or for as long as they can get away with it. They don't want to charge you for long..no they hope that you notice the charges and then call. They do provide you with this information through an email and on your statement. But, most people don't even relize that they should expect this information, so why look for it? When you do call they will agree to refund your money, but oh sorry we can't give you back the first month payment. They keep that..that is thier scam and profit. Does this sound like what happened to you? Or are you like Sean and Danielle above and so many others who never signed up for anything, yet got charge anyway somehow.

WHO WILL MAKE PRIVACY PROTECTION PAY? WILL YOU? [email protected]

• Bl
    blunt and honest Mar 18, 2009

are ###ing serious u ppl are idiots i have used the program and i did read the info that was there it did say that " FREE 7 DAY TRIAL" i then got an email that said if i can cancel at any time if i am not happy with the program however in oreder to prevent from being billed i have to cancel within the FREE TRIAL PERIOD i was having issue on the ransunion union with the security questions but i used the program i was having problems on the website and i called the customer service centre they assisted me with that, the rep even told me that if i don't cancel within the trial period i will be billed i ended up cancelling i even thought it would be hard i calle said i wanted to cancel the rep sd ok i will do that for u and that was it i even called back to make sure and they said it was cancelled. i now want to refer to [email protected], obviously u have nothing better to do u are one of those ppl who are are looking for an easy way out of things trying to get a quick buck even if the site is a scam as u say everyday u see ads about reading info before u enter ur credit card, on my statements there is a note that says check ur statements every month to see if there is anything u do not recognise so dont try to blame ppl for ur ignorance

• Ro
    Rollaire3 Mar 22, 2009

### THIEVES are what they are. Now they peddle some stupid trojan that takes over your computer and demand money while displaying a legit privacy companies page and website url! Toll SCAMMERS.

frustrated Mar 27, 2009

OK so we all agree that they don't answer the phone, and i can't even get the website to come up to enter my "Free trial membership #" .

what happens if we try to cancel the membership by mail, does it actually get cancelled? or am i going to be checking my statements for years to come?

Thanks

privacy plus employee Mar 31, 2009

THANK YOU TO BLUNT AND HONEST...WE FINALLY HAVE SOMEONE HERE WHO DOESN'T HAVE ### FOR BRAINS.

WHOEVER PARTICIPATES WITH [email protected] AND HIS OR HER PLANS WILL BE CHARGED FOR HARRASSMENT.

I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK WITH THE LAWSUIT...

AND I CANT WAIT TO MEET YOU [email protected]

• Sc
    scammed Apr 04, 2009

I also got scammed by this company. I called my credit card company and when I reached the investigation department they were well aware of this company. I was given a warning about these types of companies and also they they probably have other affiliations. Best of luck on the lawsuit because people like these should be held accountable especially at times like this when people are so financially stressed. They billed me for two months and I received absolutely nothing from them. I now will have to wait 60 to 90 days to be reimbursed.

Frank Sze Apr 07, 2009

I also got scammed, they started billing me 15.95 for 3 months that I didn't even ask for any free trail. I don't even know them and had never signed up for anything. I was shocked when I called them and found out I was their member. But they don't even have my email address and no proof of confirmation letter. I told them that I was going to the police... finally, they agree to return 2 payments and take my credit card out of their system. The scary thing is that this company suppose to protect privacy and keep us safe from scamming... SO WATCH OUT!

• Sc
    scroteau Apr 07, 2009

I joined Privacy Protection last year, and received a few reports for several months. And I thought this is great. Tonight, I realized that I had not received much for a long time, and thought I would check on my membership and take a peek at my credit rating. I was deeply upset to find out that my so-called membership had been cancelled in May 2008, yet I have been charged each month since then. I have sent them an email asking for my money back, or else they will deal with Amex.
    I am angry and upset as I was depending on this firm to keep an eye out on any activities on my credit, so now I need to fight to get my money back and pay Equifax for a report...
    If anything comes up such fraudulent activities on my credit, I will sue these folks.

FrustratedCanadian Apr 15, 2009

As for me, my story is as follows: I ordered a FREE credit report. I also thought that that PPP was a free membership. However, it was not. I did not receive a confirmation email; therefore, I was unaware of my so-called mistake. I actually found out about the charge when checking for a different charge on my credit card statements. I call the 1-888 number on my statement and spoke to Trevor (ID 25196). He was defensive right from the starts. He asked me if for my membership ID and I told him that I did not have one. He then asked me if I was charged and I said yes. And the conversation went downhill from there. I then stated that if I was careless to have this charge on my account then so be it – I will deal with it. I then asked him for the business registration number in order to file a complaint. He told me that they do not have one. I explained that every legit Canadian company has one, and continued to tell me that PPP does not. I then asked to speak to the supervisor and he advised me that he was the supervisor. He was quite hostile from the get go. I asked for an email or address where I could send a formal complaint and he told me again they do not have one. At the end of the call, he wished me a good day and that I would receive my refund in 7 day. Imagine that, after telling me that I was responsible for the payment, he says have a good day and my refund will be received in 7 days. Yeah right. The first thing I did was try to place a complaint with BBB and Privacy Protection Plus is not even listed in their database. So what to do now? I agree where we should be more careful when using our credit card online. However, I did not become alarmed until I requested the business info from the agent and how he had an attitude so early in the call. I will not rest until my issue has been looked at.

• Li
    Lisa May 02, 2009

This is all linked to the fraudulent company ADAPTIVE MARKETING that runs hundreds of different opt in scams. Privacy Matters and At Home Rewards are two of the companies that will charge your credit card without your consent. Don't forget to tell them to remove you from their database or they will sell your information. Crooks! I had to cancel my credit card after they signed me up for services I never signed up for. Here is a list of Adaptive Marketing's scam sites:

24assistance.com
    vsescapes.com
    vssportandspa.com
    yoursavingsclub.ca
    yoursavingsclub.com

The following domains have been added since I wrote this post in September which means that the scam is alive and well.

athomerewardsplus.com
    privacyplus.ca
    savingsace.com
    thebigdeal.com
    valuemax123.com

Have a look at some of these domains and you will see they follow all the same basic format. A very simple site with some sort of vague offer or purpose that isn’t really explained unless you login. There are usually a few logos of trusted high street brands suggesting that the site has a legitimate business to business arrangement with that trusted brand. They are all linked to the same FRAUD! They steal money and I will make sure this criminal operation is shut down.
    0 minutes ago by Lisa 0 Votes
    1) CrossCountrySavings, DealMax and SimplyYou are subsidiaries of "Adaptive Marketing LLC".
    2) AtHomeRewards and YourSavingsClub are subsidiaries of "MemberWorks Canada".
    3) Adaptive Marketing LLC and MemberWorks Canada are subsidiaries of "Vertrue Incorporated".
    4) Each organization employs similarly evasive website formats and legal policies.

As these organizations apparently have access to my account information even when accounts are closed and numbers are changed, it is likely that the Vertrue business model is based on identity theft. Information for the organizations involved follows:

Vertrue Incorporated

YourSavingsClub
    www.yoursavingsclub.ca

• Ts
    TSilvea May 03, 2009

I have just been charged 89.95 on my credit card on April 27/09 from this privacy protection plus company and then looked again today on my credit card statment online and was just charged 29.99 again on May 02/09 What is up with that? And this employee from the company that is on here being rude and calling everyone on here ###s how is that at all professional? who they hell would what to have anything to do with that company if that is how the employees talk to people. Its just disgusting. I have not sign up to have my credit score checked or anything is for some reason I have been getting charged and please tell me how this company is helping me out? All they seem to be doing is taking money from me and I don't see anything good coming out of it. Does anyone no who I can call to get this settled? Should I call trans union? To me this company is outrageous they are not helping me at all.

• Li
    LittleMissSunshine May 06, 2009

They got me as well. I noticed a strange charge on my statement today. I pay online and rarely check statements, so I didn't noice that these people have been taking money off my card since JULY!! I called them and had to fight with two different people. After I mentioned calling the BBB and filing a claim with my credit card company he ("Anthony") FINALLY agreed to a full refund within 2 business days. I guess we'll see if it happens...does anyone know if people actually receive their refunds?

• Rb
    RBC Visa May 12, 2009

I work for RBC Visa, I am a Disputes Manager.

At least once or twice a day I receive a call from a client who would like us to either dispute charges from Privacy Protection Plus or to prevent future charges. Because Visa is only the method of payment, and we do not get between an agreement made between a merchant and a customer, it is the Visa cardholders responsibility to contact the merchant, to cancel the subscription they enrolled in.

In the event that the cardholders call Privacy Protection Plus to cancel their subscription, takes down the conf#, employee name and date once it is done, and is charged 15 DAYS AFTER THAT CANCELATION, THEN we would have dispute rights, as the merchant would have broken the agreement made ( to stop billing ).

I myself have actually signed up for Privacy Protection Plus ( several times ) and I can assure you all, IT IS NOT A SCAM. I was actually able to view my TransUnion credit report, free of charge. However, it is VERY IMPORTANT that I call in the first 7 days to cancel, or as stated in the terms and conditions ( that are very important to read, especially when entering your card number online to make a purchase ) I would be charged the full monthly membership fee, of aprox. $30.00 CND.

There was actaully one month where I did not cancel on time, and I was charged, I called to complain, and they still canceled the charge and membership. JUST BE SURE NOT TO ENTER YOUR E-MAIL ON THE SECOND PAGE OF REGISTRATION for the 'extra options' EI: gas coupons etc. That would cost you another $30.00CND or so.

The charge on your statement would appear as AP9*PRIVACYPROTECTION

Remember first contact the merchant to cancel, if they are unwilling, or have breached their terms and conditions, have your proof ready to fax/provide, then call us ( or your credit card company ) and we can certainly dispute the charges.

Steve :)

CANADIAN Jun 10, 2009

THESE PEOPLE SCAMMIG US FOR 30 DOLLARS ARE AFRICANS...JUST LISTEN TO THE WAY THEY TALK...THEY ARE RUDE AND VERY UNPROFFESIONAL !!! LIKE I SAID KEEP MY 30 AND HOPEFULLY IT WILL FEED AND CLOTHE YOUR POOR ### AND YOUR FAMILIES IN OUR COUNTRY...THEY COME HERE AND CANNOT GET REAL JOBS SO THEY USE THE MONEY THAT GOT THEM HERE TO SCAM US...WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND !!! I HOPE THEY ALL BURN IN HELL...PEOPLE CALL YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY AND EXPLAIN AND THEY WILL REOPEN A NEW ACCOUNT FOR YOU... AS FOR YOU LOW LIFE ### OF THE EARTH UGLY AFRICAN NIGARIAN BAD SMELLNG FOOLS...JOKES ON YOU !!!

• Da
    dasing55 Jul 02, 2009

I will admitt I did sign up for privacy plus because of all the services they said they provided and did not have a problem with the $29.00 but when I tried to get my free credit report I could not get it and could never talk to a live person, this made me leary and went online and canceled and also called([protected]) and canceled by phone.This was on June 2, 2009.Well it's July 2, 2009 and lo and behold the counterpart to Privacy Plus...Privacy Matters ( which I also canceled on June 2, 2009) debited $59.90 from my acc0unt and privacy+ $2.00. I called this number888-239-0316 (which was on my debit card statement), I spoke to Natalie first and she assured me that my money would be credited back to my card and transferred me to her supervisor Ellie employee #8158 who repeated that I would have my money back in my account in 3-5 business days ( I'm nervous because it was so easy). I will be back here on July 9, 2009 if I don't have my money back. By the way they told me I never canceled but I'm the type of person who documents everything... I adise everyone to do the same...Representative's name, badge number, time of day you spoke to them, ask for supervisor and ask to speak to them, get their badge # as well. AND THEN GOOD LUCK AS I HOPE I HAVE

• De
    debkassy Jul 04, 2009

Just got scammed. I have sent a letter and will follow up with Consumer and corporate affairs canada. I might even be seeing my Member of Parliament tomorrow and will mention this company to him. I never signed up for this service. I am going to cancel my credit card as well. I cannot believe this company...it makes me sick.
    deb.

• Ro
    RockyMountainHouseGuy Jul 08, 2009

I never signed up for this company as they stated that I did back in January. Since January they have been charging me a dollar per month and then today I noticed charges for 145.00, 65.00 and other charges. To be honest I think I may have noticed the 1.00 charges before and just thought it was something that my credit card company provides and charges me for as a mandatory thing. I never payed much attention to it until I saw these larger charges on my statement which I get online and usually dont even look at. When I called the number that was on my statement I was told that I signed up back in January and that they were just billing me for it now, I explained to them that I did not signup for any of these things they were charging me for and they told me it was all non-refundable. I contacted PCfinancial as that is who my card is through and they are going to investigate this company and try to get my charges reversed on my card. I DID NOT AND WOULD NOT sign up for anything to do with credit or credit checking online, everyone knows you can get a free credit report from Equifax by calling them and requesting one by mail. Also I have seen alot of posts on here and have read them all, PrivacyPlusEmployee, your full of ### and we all know that you are. They are a scam and infact the person I spoke to who was Dante Rep ID #7987 told me that I signed up on MSN, now seriously how the hell do you signup on MSN? Yeah right, they scammed me and they have scammed many others as well. If you have got your money back from this outfitt please post the comments on here so we can all see the light at the end of the tunnel should there be any.

Thanks,
    Rocky Mountain House, Alberta Guy

• Pi
    Pissedoffcustomer Jul 18, 2009

To privacyplusemployee:
    This is certainly a scam. When I first signed up(through AOL), I was told that the "service" would monitor my credit files and report changes, etc. When I did not get anything further from them in 3 years, I called them up. They told me the reason I didn't get any actual reports from them was that I hadn't requested any! Are you [censored]ing kidding me??? What else is the charge for?
    Then I began an annual ritual of canceling my "subscription", which of course didn't happen. Somehow, they managed to keep charging me($20 more each year), despite changes of address, telephone number changes, credit card cancellations, etc. To this day, this is the [censored] I go through, and you have the nerve to tell people "YOUR CREDIT CARD...YOUR RESPONSIBILITY"? I've been charged over $1000, without so much as one single letter in the mail to justify the "service". And this is not a scam?
    I've reached the very end of my patience with this company. If I get billed one more time, I will certainly take legal action for punitive damages.

cardgrief Jul 27, 2009

I was interested in a credit report so I plugged in my credit card number into this pop up box that said you could get a credit report for only $1.00. After I submited my info the pop up box had an error and I never got the report at that time and it was never sent to my email.
    This month I was reviewing my credit card items and called the bank immediately when I noticed several deductions from a company called "privacy protection." The website the bank gave me was "under construction." There was no reference on the website to their new web page "privacyplus.ca" I found it by accident when google suggested it.
    I did not sign up for the Privacy Protection service, they just started billing me. I didn't notice the email they sent, I just thought it was part of my credit shield program for my credit card and ignored it.
    It's not just bad business it's fraudulent business if this company will grab credit card numbers and just start billing their service to people when the individuals being billed are not even aware this business exchange took place.
    I will become active on the [email protected]

• Dr
    Dr William Carlton Banks Aug 08, 2009

The reason we are in business is to protect all the people who are not able to read there credit card statements or make any type of transaction on there own.
    For a small fee we look after your credit report and allow you to keep an eye on things because most likely you are not to bright in knowing what you are spending.
    When I see that people are crying over a charge on there card of $29 dollars and don;t remember enrolling in our service just proves my point that they need the service.
    Enrolling and tossing around you card number and not even remembering and then whining about a charge show you need us and our service because you can't handle you credit.
    Most of the public is busy tipping the bottle and watching wrestling on Tv, so our company is the best thing you can have to keep an eye on what you spend and don't even remember.
    By not remembering you enrolled is the best thing you forgot. Don't try to say a excellent service like ours would go as low as to get a card number or trick someone into our service.
    We don't need a trick as were as important as a phone and with the cashless new world will be part of everyones monthly bill.
    Thanks for your positive comments privacyplusemployee, but these people are of very low IQ. so don't lose any sleep trying to help the helpless, the posters on this site would not see a good deal if they saw one, , , Our business is strong without the lower class drop outs.
    Proud Employee of P PLUS .Free credit report

ChrisfromGemma Aug 20, 2009

I have been on both sides of the fence of this debate. When I lived in Montreal two years ago I worked for a company called Gemma Communications and I worked downtown at 425 de Maisonneuve 4th floor (same building that you get your medical card from). I worked there because I could only speak English and not French and that was the only job I could get. We worked for credit card companies like HBC, HSBC, Capitol One, The Source blah blah. And I sold privacy protection plus to card holders. I also sold the At Home program as well. I did really bad, I barely ever made a sale, but still. Gemma Communications was actually a nice place to work and legal, compared to other telemarketing places I worked at (selling phone books for $450 that you never got. THATS a scam for sure).

So fastforward now to Aug 2009. I signed up for an HBC credit card about 5 months ago, and I knew that Gemma (mostly from toronto headquarters, but some call from montreal) was going to call about PPP or At Home or whatever, because I used to do that! And, of course, some lady did call and I signed up (you have to give a "clear yes") because I wanted to see my credit score for free (because I knew the program). And yes, I did get my credit score from TransUnion. PPP gives you a coupon code to put in when you check out at TransUnion. My credit score is 546 (Yikes!)

So, after I got my score I went onto PPP website (privacyplus.ca) and clicked the Cancellation buttons and whatnot. And it said it would send a confirmation email, which it didnt. I did it twice in one week, and nothing. And now I got the bill on my HBC credit card for $20.95. I live in Burnaby now, so taxes might be different for different people. So I finally had a chance today to call them (press zero to talk to a human) and talked to a Karen? I think #26452 and she said in 2-5 business days I will have the money put back on my HBC credit card. So that was today, so in 2-5 days Ill see, and report back on here to say if they do.

The funny FUNNY thing is that when I worked at Gemma, we told the 'customer' that they would receive an "information package". I never saw what this 'package' was. But after I signed up over the phone and I did get this "package" which was just a folded letter-type thing, taped on one side, like you would get from Sears, or a pizza place. Not a package at all. And it had this crappy tear out 'member ID' card with my membership number on it.

This is the bad part about all this. To log into thier website (privacyplus.ca) you need a membership number and a POSTAL CODE!! Uhhh..anyone can take my mail out of my mailbox and get this PROTECTION and find the postalcode on the front of the letter!!! You dont have a password, you have a postal code. my god. And then anyone who knows my postal code (on ALLLLL my mail) can have access to my 'secure credit card information". Because they want you to register all your cards with them, to 'protect them'. they must have LOTS of insurance.

Oh, I forgot to say, MemberWorks Canada (the guys who started all this PPP crap) is located on McGill Ave about 6 blocks from Gemma Communications. Its right by McGill University. And I worked with this Asian guy named peter that worked for MemberWorks for about 4 months. The difference between Gemma and MemeberWorks is that Gemma paid $10.25 per hour while MemeberWorks paid $14. And when you call them (if you ever get to talk to a human) you talk to a "Retension Officer". That is thier title (that is what Peter was). So thier whole job is to try to get you to NOT cancel your membership. Thats why they get paid more. So when you call thinking you will find a customer service rep, you are actually calling a Retension Officer. Go figure.

I hope this long winded post will be of some help to you all, and shed some light on the inner workings of PPP. Ill update when I find out if I get my $20.95 back or not. Oh, and my name is Chris

Oh, and to the guy who said they are all african, some are. Lots are from middle east. Lots asian. A guy I worked beside was named Muhammed (it was pretty popular, 4 guys had the same name). But seriously, I am caucasian canadian english speaking born in BC, grew up in Alberta, but telemarketing was my only way to pay the bills in Montreal. Same for them, I guess. I didnt want to do telemarketing, but thats all I could get.

But ya, dont put your creditcard ANYWHERE on the internet. I dont even trust paypal. Dont be stupid.

ChrisfromGemma Aug 27, 2009

So Memberworks refunded my $20.95 back onto my HBC creditcard today, so that means that they technically are not a scam. Just a company that does really shady business. So there you have it. Give them a call to get your money back.

• Al
    alicechamp Aug 30, 2009

I also am victim of this scam. Guess should never have anknowledged their e-mail. They do not even mention that they charge 29.95 a month for this. I am really upset and mad about the situation. Hope someone really burns them out. I am sick and tired of all these scam artits that seem to get away with it.

• Al
    alicechamp Aug 30, 2009

I also got scammed. They did not mention anything about paying 29.95$ a month for this. I am really upset. Hopefully one day all of this scamming will stop. All of these scammers seem to get away with it, one day I hope they get caught and pay a high price for it.

• St
    Steverino Sep 08, 2009

Another victim here, this company is not legit, no responsible company would use these tactics for a subscription and in viewing the number of complaints on this site it is evident there is a problem. I would suggest disputing the charge with your credit card company the more disputes they get the more likely they are to have there merchant account closed down.
    Put in a complaint with the BBB as well.

• Ze
    zeta6 Sep 12, 2009

I paid for an online equifax report, and got billed 2 months by these crooks!? I have no idea how they got my information. I have no emails from them, nothing! I intend on filling a complaint to my credit card company to get them to back billed for these charges, I've done this before with other fraudulent charges.

C.A. Sep 25, 2009

People here who say that this is not fraudulent do not actually know the definition of this word. I have fallen victim to this scam, and I phoned them and they told me what website I had apparently signed up on. "spendonlife.com". I have never seen this site, let alone sign up for it. Why would I want my credit report from a random website when I have access to these services elsewhere? This scam reflects something called "negative option billing", where someone provides you with a service and then starts charging you unless you cancel. Cable companies have employed this in the past, until class-action lawsuits mounted and put a stop to it. Now, if I had signed up for this, I might be able to take partial blame, though it is still not ethical. However, since this company acquired my information without my consent, it is 100% against the law (in Canada, at least).

Now, for anyone who knows anything about business (legitimate business, I should say), all you have to do is read the remarks of Privacyprotectionemployee, and more startling, Dr William Carlton Banks. First of all, he is insulting peoples' intelligence and wants us to think he is a "Doctor". Carlton Banks is a character from Fresh Prince of BelAir, so would a reputable business person employ such a technique? And "Dr.", you speak about people on here not being smart, and needing your service. I got scammed and I am CA. I know you have no idea what that is, but do some research as to what that stands for, what is involved in getting that designation, and the financial knowledge that a CA is required to have. Oh, and get a new job, because I have spoken with RBC Visa and they are chomping at the bit to go after this company and are using me as a tool to help them in this cause. The exact quote was "We're going after them."

Everyone, don't allow them to convince you that you can't get your money back. They are charging you for a service that you are not using and have no need for, so you have the right to be refunded. Call them, tell them to refund you and send you an email, and also keep in contact with your credit card company and follow their instructions, because they will be more than willing to help you.

And the person who said that they are an RBC employee is not. Or else they don't know their job. It is not true that you can only be refunded for charges AFTER you cancel. If you are a victim of this scheme, RBC Visa will help you get as much money back as they can. Let's not have any more fake identities here people, you're just misleading the public. And they won't be part of the BBB, so it may not do any good to complain to them, but it's worth a shot.

cat2009ottawa Sep 26, 2009

I signed up for the free trial to get a copy of my free credit report and within minutes I had access to my credit report from Transunion. The next day I follwed the steps on their website to cancell the membership and instantly got an e-mail confirming the cancellation with a reference number. I got my free credit report, cancelled before the 7 days trial period and never got any charges put thru my credit card. Soooo I think if you take your time to read everything carefully and follow the instructions given you will not have any problems... I don't believe this company is a scam at all, but they do prey on people who sign up for things without reading the terms and conditions, can't really blam them...

angry_girl Oct 01, 2009

My credit card was charged 15$ by Privacy Plus and I am sure that I have never applied for this service or anything similar. I called my credit card company and initiated a dispute. They said that I have to call Privacy Plus first but I told them that I don't trust them and I don't want to give anymore information about myself to them. They somehow got my creditcard number and they have stolen from me. I'm afraid if call them they are going to ask for my name, address, tel, DOB ... and god knows what they are going to do with it.
    This thread has started one year ago, I can't beleive that they are still scaming people.

• Lo
    louiesowner Oct 08, 2009

I never gave out my credit card number and just saw this charge on my card. I have filed a dispute with my CC company. I told them I had never even signed up for a free trial, ect... so who knows how they got my number. Of course I have requested a new card. Seems a little shady if you ask me.

• Do
    doogsby Oct 21, 2009

I'm so glad you guys are out there!! I noticed only today a charge for $29.95 and queried it with Visa. While on hold (how unusual is that?) I read the address and phone number in Quebec [protected]). I hung up and called these people, leery when asked to enter my membership number (who knew I was a member), my credit card number (not a hope) or my phone number. I used my phone number and was able to speak with "Kevin" (I think was his name) who transferred me to another fellow who agreed to refund the amount within 2 business days and to cancel my "membership" (sic). I requested that he email a confirmation of our discussion to me so that I would have a written back up.

I am appalled at the language used by the employee, in writing no less! There is no question that this company is devious in the extreme. I would be happy to assist in somehow flagging or even cancelling their web site for future potential victims.

• De
    Demandfullrefund Nov 02, 2009

Attention: Everyone who has been scammed; demand a full refund and do not let up until they comply. I too was blatantly SCAMMED, and I can confidently say that becuase my credit card information was literally STOLEN as a result of making a purchase from a ligitimate company called 'Vista Print'. I did not navigate out of Vista's site, nor did I click on a link outside of my specific purchase. I entered my credit card info once and once only to confirm my purchase of STATIONARY - NOT bogus credit report info. Privacy Protect Plus had no right or wuthorization to use my personal information in any way shape or form. This is theft and should be treated as such. If you work for this company, give your head a shake. If you're not ashamed of yourself then your just right for the job - a complete ###!