Plato's Closetextremely peeved with plato's closet

Plato's closet - www.platoscloset.com
2020 e. Old lincoln highway
Langhorne, pa 19047
[protected]

I dropped off 2 huge loads of clothing to the new langhorne, pa store 5 sept 2007 and was told i'd receive a call that night to come back in for my money and/or clothing they cannot sell. I never heard from them, so I called back 7 sept. I was told I was in the computer at that time, but they still needed to go through my clothing and I ought to hear back from them that night. I waited a week, never receiving any phone calls. I called back 16 sept. I was told i'm no longer in the computer, nor are my clothes in the back. They usually delete you out of the computer within a week and donate your clothing within 4 days.

I was pissed - could have taken the clothing to a real consignment place for some money, freecycled them, asked around if friends could have used any of it, or at least donated them for my own tax purposes. But now your crappy company gets my tax donation. How do I even know you didn't keep some of my clothing to sell?

I asked to speak to a manager. There was none available at that time, but one would call me that afternoon. Never received such a phone call.

17 september I added the langhorne store to the better business bureau's list. I also wrote a complaint letter to plato's closet and received an email in return from mary klapperich who told me they are individually owned and that my email would be forwarded onto the owner of the for an investigation. I also received an email from email user saying my email would be forwarded onto the field operations manager of the langhorne, pa store. These emails were received well over 2 weeks ago. Never heard back.

I also contacted the bucks co consumer protection agency about this. Rick from that office made a few phone calls. He phoned me back today to say he spoke both with the langhorne store and the corporate place. Both agree they are in the wrong and that my clothing is no longer in the store. They say they've also recently changed their policy because "things had been very hectic". However, plato's closet won't do a thing to better my situation. What surprises me is plato's closet won't even call or write to me to apologize, much less even offer me store credit.

The only thing I can do is post my story where ever and I also know anyone else who calls the consumer protection agency asking about plato's closet will be forewarned of my experience. Hopefully i'll help someone else before they waste time and money. Let it be known that I am posting my story on every website I can find. You ignored me and that's completely inappropriate. This is absolutely awful customer service!

Christinelouge Oct 27, 2019

I bring clothing in often to turn and all the clothing is name brand and barely worn out or was poorly taken care of. And recently the past two times I have gone in the workers have been extremely rude and disrespectful to not just me but other people trying to turn clothing it and at this point I don't even want to go back.

Cheyenne Wilson May 23, 2019

The sales cashier was super rude, and declined service over form of identification being a state issued ID! Argued with me and then accepted my ID anyway only to take customers who came in long after me, before me! The second sales associate was wonderful though and helped me though.

• De
    Destinymh Aug 20, 2018

I was charged 7 dollars from platoes closet with a recite, a few days after they charge me for 66 dollars. This is the platoes closet that is located in Jacksonville NC. You can contact me at [protected] or [email protected] thank you

Comments
    Comments

anonomususer7594 Feb 11, 2016

When you drop off your clothes you sign a sheet that specifically states if you are not back the same day to pick up your items plato's has the right to donate them, and put a store credit slip in your name-if they were able to take anything. Learn to read!

• Ci
    CindyO3048 May 08, 2014

The first time I went into the store I went to check out and pay for my items, the girl behind the register said, "Gee...it must be nice to shop in a store that's only supposed to be for teenagers." Strike one. The second time I went in, I brought a few things in a Hollister bag for a possible sale, I was advised that they weren't interested in any of my things. They bags and clothing I brought in were clean, trendy and definitely all name brand items. Strike two. The last time I went in there, I brought 3 bags, a large Victoria's Secret tote, a Forever 21 bag (with the tags still on it) and an Ed Hardy bag, all full of nice, name brand merchandise...we're talking about at least 2 pair of Rue 21 jeans, several pair of Hollister jeans, shirts from Aero, etc. They again, told me they weren't interested, but, hey! Thanks forbringing them in!! I really didn't expect to get $100, but, I truly thoughttheywould purchase brand new sandalsin thebox with the tags...unbelieveable. Again. The teenage girls were incredibly rude. One ofmy teen daughters wants to go back for a pair of shoes she liked...not me. Platos has lost a customer. Never again. I would rather go to Nordstrom's and pay retail...at least they're nice to me there.
    o

• Fr
    frostedcake Jan 26, 2014

Let me start by saying I've been working at platos for half of a year now, and I've been shopping there for years. The location I work at is in Schaumburg, IL.

Obviously I can't speak for other locations, but I know that it can be tough to make people offers on their clothing. Even if it still has the tags attached, it may be too sophisticated for the store. We're trained to be wary of styles--it might be really cute, but if it's too dressy, we aren't supposed to take it. This applies to the brand also. Brands like J Crew, Banana Republic, Express, etc. are a bit mote complicated to decide on, just because we have to keep in mind the audience we're catering to. Plato's Closet appeals to "teens and twenty-somethings", and we, as buyers, have to make sure that the style of each garment will sell well for us.

As for items being damaged, sometimes we do miss minor holes or signs of wear. While we do our best to thoroughly examine each and every item, we also have to make sure that we aren't taking too long. Some people bring in several large garbage bags at a time, all completely stuffed with clothing. If we were to check every single garment in depth for any sign of wear, no matter how minor, it would take us hours to get through a single person's things. We have to find a balance between spending enough time to find great pieces and spending more time than our customers should have to wait. Unfortunately, this does sometimes cause us to overlook some flaws in garments.

I personally feel that in a store like Plato's, customer service is of incredible importance. The clothing gets people to come into the store, but customer service gets people to come back to the store. I offer my most sincere apologies to everyone who has had a negative experience--I do feel, though, that Plato's Closet in its entirety is not to blame. Some stores with different owners might be really stuck up, or they might not care about their customers, but here at Schaumburg, we try to make every single customer feel welcome and comfortable. Our owner does secret shopper reviews and so far we've always gotten very high reviews from our customers.

Hopefully, visiting a different location will get you better results. Plato's Closet can get you great deals on clothing and make fair offers for your garments, and it's a shame that some locations have such awful service. I hope I helped!

• St
    Stephrenea22 Dec 20, 2013

After reading all the negative remarks online I was worried about selling my clothes at plato's I brought in 2 huge bags of clothes I isn't expect to get very much but I am moving and needed some extra space the very nice sales associate told me it would be about 15 min and I could look around the store it only took about 10 min and she was done they took about half of my clothing and offered me $86 I shocked! I only expected to get back little to nothing after reading all of this I guess it just depends on what location but I was very pleased! ((: & will defiantly do it again! Don't let these reviews make your mind up not to sell there go find out for yourself you might just be shocked (: good luck

• Be
    bently Nov 26, 2013

San Antonio by the north star mall the workers there are horrible and rude I seen so manycclothes with stains and wholes in them and stuff from Walmart that is going for more than its worth and everytime I go in there so mean to me and they didn't look thru my bag I put it a certain way plus I had to wait four hours when I went there the first time I could tell they looked thru it I had brand new hollister stuff in there guess jeans and Abercrombie three bags of it and they said they were worn down are you kidding me when they never been worn and some had tags on them its every time I go to this one there horrible they take in the worse clothes ever there so outdated and ugly but rejected my brand new stuff I gave them brand new flats in the box that was 30$ and gave me 3$ for them they need all new workers there and need to fix up that store with way better clothing I

Logicisyourfriend Nov 12, 2013

This is Tuesday.

• Cl
    clross133 Nov 12, 2013

I usually don't do this but I had such a bad experience today with Plato's closet I must leave a review, if you drop off clothes be warned that they will "donate" if they decide they don't want the items. Dropped off 3 very large garbage bags on Saturday, was told 3 hours and if I wasn't back day of I only get store credit. I told them I would pick up Monday, no problem, arrived this morning to find out they had passed on all items and they donated everything over the weekend. Pretty shady operation! As a business owner, I know this is not proper operations.

• Se
    Sensible One Oct 29, 2013

Plato's Closet? More like Plato's Toilet.

• Ne
    Nem Kanela Oct 22, 2013

Platos closet is full of ### ! The stupid ### at the cashier are stupid and snobby !
    I've left two times because of the damn attitude they ### give ! I personally feel like they should hire more mature people not a damn snobby as ### teenagers! and they should stop selling target clothes ... Because it's practically the same price ... Just used ! But yea overall it need to be ran by people who know fashion and style and people who can get their attitude straight! I'm sick of the ###ing rolling your eyes and talking at the customer right in front of them ... Like seriously little ### grow the hell up!

• On
    only my opinion Jun 26, 2013

I had worked at a plato's closet, and there are always two sides. unfortunately not everyone there was always at their best regarding customer service, however they are a business providing a service. not a charity like people always seemed to want. they have a demographic that they are selling clothes to. they cannot buy in your "womens" styles, or clothes that you did not even take the time to wash before you brought them in. ( why would they give you money for dirty clothes?! do you know how many jeans/short/underwear with period stains and crotch crust i had to look at? sick!) they look for the newest teen styles in ready to wear condition, because that is their whole business! just like 50 year old women don't go to justice or aeropostale, teens don't want to wear your lane bryant or talbots clothing. therefore why would it make sense for them as a business to purchase in and give you money for something that they know isn't going to sell?
    as far as donating the items that don't get purchased in
    ...you do have to sign a contract when you drop them off that says that if you are not back by the end of the next business day your items and the container you brought them in will be donated, and your cash offer will be put onto a store credit.
    ...it also states that the store is not responsible for lost or damaged items
    no one ever seems to read this though. my advice is to read what you sign.

if you are into style in your teens and twenties, this store is for you. if you are looking to get beer money by selling the 5 year old ripped coat you wore to a smokey bar last night maybe try selling your plasma...platos is not a source of income, just a way to get cash for cute clothes you are not wearing anymore

• On
    only my opinion Jun 26, 2013

Plato's closet

MSavidant May 28, 2013

I am from Red Deer, Alberta, Canada... I just took a bunch of clothes in myself and had the same awful treatment. Discriminating against size, age, and who brings the clothes in! They told me that they would happily "donate" anything they don't take, to Bibles for Missions for me... YA, RIGHT!! I would suspect nothing less than a scam here... they will turn around and sell stuff they supposedly "rejected" just so they don't have to give you anything. My clothes too, were in mint condition, well taken care of, and some not worn at all. They had popular name brands and everything. The clothes on the racks in there were at least 20 yrs old or older! I truly believe that all of these kinds of stores... Once Upon a Child, Play it Again Sports, Plato's Closet... anywhere where they say they will give you cash for used goods are nothing but scam artists. I took all of my clothes back with me, and who knows? They might have taken a few items from me while I was going in and out bringing in stuff. All of my time, effort, gas and good clothes wasted on false advertising.

MsKelle Sep 25, 2012

I just left Plato's Closet in Arkansas...yes it is a new store that keeps advertising begging for people to bring in their clothing. I took in 3 bags for cute name-brand clothing. Yes some were over a year old. However, when I went back to pick these up, I was given a written speech. "You have some very cute items but they are not what were are looking for at this time and the sizes are too small." But they only handed me 2 bags. I asked for the other bag. The clerk said I only brought in 2 bags, I told her exactly what the bags looked like, she goes "oh it must be on the top shelf". However, this bag contained all of my nieces nice clothes. I felt like she was trying to steal these. All the cashiers looked at each other very funny. Made me feel very uncomfortable. I will not shop at a Plato's Closet due the dishonesty of their employees.

• Te
    TerryDuncan Sep 18, 2012

TUSCALOOSA AL- I recently visited the Tuscaloosa location platos closet after church on a Sunday. I tried on several long/maxi dresses that I thought were cute for size. I asked for a dressing room and the employee told me to hang what I didn't want to purchase on a rack outside the door. One of the many I tried on fit me and the rest I put on the rack she had told me to. Then I over heard her say to another employee in a rude manner "what did she try on every dress in the store" and then she went on to tell her friend/coworker, where everyone could hear, about how she sells her prescription narcotics every month. I just couldn't believe how rude and unprofessional these employees were.

• De
    denise hunter Sep 10, 2012

Everytime i go in to the Hoover store the same girl is there!She never buy what I take there she say it to old!I watch her buy old clothslook like 5 years old!I went in on 9/10/12 had brought something two months ago!Took it in along with some more things and a pair of shoes that I know is new!She didn't take nothing out but the shoes and told me everything was 6 to 9 months old she couldn't buy nothing!THE SHOES I A MONTH OLD AND THE JEAN I HAD!everything I had look a lot better than a lot of things in there!

Ms. Golden Aug 05, 2012

My 16 year old son was hired at the new Plato's Closet opening in Jackson Tn. He was excited about his first real job. I became suspicious after the first wk of work and my son was paid in cash and had not filled out a w-2. He said he was being paid $25.00 a day (8hrs). This is his first time out on a real job so he was a bit gulliable. I explained to him this was illegal and to tell her he had to be put on timed payroll and be paid in a check. He did what I said and she fired him today. There was nothing but youngsters working there so I wonder just how many are being paid cash(ito avoid taxes) under paid(below the min wage) breaking labor laws and child labor laws. I called the owner Ms. Julie Meyers and she told me my son was just hanging round there goofing off. Sinne when do ppl get paid for goofing around? I think they should be investigated and I will be calling the Tennessee Labor board in the morning and my next call after that is the IRS.

Ms. Golden Aug 05, 2012

There is a new plato's closet opening in Jackson Tn. My son who is 16 started working there 3 wks ago. The owner Julie Meyers took him in the back room and told him she wanted to hire him but corporate office was there and she didn't want them to know about him working there. She called him back in 3 days later and told him when he comes in to work to go in the back and pretend he was clocking in and that she wanted to pay him in cash to avoid taxes. She was paying him $25.00 a day for 8 hours of work. Not even min wage.This was his first job and he is Nieve and gullible so I told him this was against the law and he had to tell her he needs a legitimate paycheck he did and she fired him today. He wasn't a problem until he ask to be paid correctly. There is nothing but youngsters working there so I wonder just how many are working under the table. She is breaking Tenneesse labor laws and also child labor laws. I think Plato's Closet should be investigated I will be calling the labor board in the morning!!!

none ya biz nas Jul 10, 2012

DO NOT GO HERE! horrible customer service and a total waste of time. I understand Platos Closet policies about what clothing they take but they could at least train staff how to do customer service and how to work. I have worked in retail for over 12 years and know what customer service is and this location is far from knowing what it is. I was at the westminster CO location today and noticed 4 girls there were standing around with their backs towards customers talking about movies and what they did over the weekend while doing nothing. Also while they had customers in line while doing a transactions they were still talking. That its just rude, customers should get full attention. Its similar to the other way around when a customer its on their cell phone while at check out. They also definitely need a better/faster system as far as customers selling items to them. I had them go through 2 boxes of clothing and it took an hour for me to get my whopping $4. Anyways, your better off giving your clothes away to friends or writing them off for tax purposes.

• Il
    illpoopinyourcereal Jun 17, 2012

In response to PONY CAR, you are way off of the reservation! Plato's Closet is grateful for every item that comes into our stores and our shoppers are grateful that they can get quality name brand clothing for an affordable price! We cater to a demographic that typically cannot afford to buy mall name brands brand new. It is perfect for back to school shopping and completely swapping out your wardrobe at a reasonable cost. Any items we cannot purchase we send back with our customers and recommend drop boxes for charity organizations or taking it to the local Salvation Army where people will appreciate it. I do not recommend boycotting, because if we were to go out of business there will be 30 unemployed people who will now need to go to Salvation Army or your church for donated items! One store that I manage has been open for 3 years now and has given back over $1, 000, 000 back to the community for used clothing! ONE MILLION DOLLARS every 3 years!!! You don't think the community is grateful for that money or the economic stimulus it has provided back to local businesses? To accuse us of being ungrateful is irresponsible and immature, and to recommend boycotting is negligent especially without considering the repercussions and the positive aspects we do provide to our customers and our community. I would recommend you take these situations into consideration before suggesting such juvenile “solutions” to our ungratefulness. I apologize if my argument is coming off brash or rude, but I can deal with complaints about us not taking enough of people’s clothes, or not paying out enough money for them, but to be called ungrateful is intolerable to me and the Plato’s Closet brand.

Jaquie C. Jun 02, 2012

My Plato's closet experience was a bad one. First, I took some clothes in to sell, probably around 10-15 items. Among those items included a brand new pair of Miley Cyrus skinny jeans, never worn, the sale tags still attached to them. I also had a brand new, never worn Wet Seal top without a sale tag. Other tops included an Urban Outfitters top, a Victoria's Secret bra, never worn, and several other items of clothing that were barely worn. The sales clerks informed me to drop my clothes off and come back 30 minutes later, which I did. Upon returning the lady informed me that they were not able to buy any of my clothes claiming they were "worn, faded, and/or had pilling, " or that they "just couldn't sell them in the store at this time. Yes, a couple tops I tried selling I had worn a few times, but I inspected every item of clothing before taking them to the store. Not a single item had a hole in it. After browsing the store myself and seeing Target brand tops and "unknown" brands of shoes and purses, I was pretty much shocked as to why my clothes were rejected. Mind you, I don't buy junk. Most of the clothes I buy are decent clothes that I spend my own money on and take extremely good care of. There were worse items hanging on the hangers in the store than I had in my own collection. Either the sales clerks had no idea what they were doing or what they were looking for, or I guess they just didn't want to spend any of the time actually looking and inspecting the clothing I had. WHAT A JOKE! WILL NOT BE RETURNING! By the way, this was at the Flint, Michigan location, less than 5 minutes from my house.

• Su
    Superbabe Mar 25, 2012

Platos closet has a wide selection, some of the workers are nice and others are very rude and they look like there mad that there talking to you which makes you feel uncomfortable. There fitting rooms are very small and I sometimes take clothes there and all the times I've done that they have always rejected them. I take very good care of my clothes, shoes etc. there was no holes, stains etc. they were all name brand as well like American eagle, hollister, forever21, Aeropostale. Don't get me wrong, they do have good deals and cute clothing, there customer service Isnt the best.

• Sr
    srcstcsnc Jan 26, 2012

I'm just curious as to how much they are paying all you that love this dump sooooo much to defend their reputation cause you do it w/ such fervor.

• Mi
    Michellemarie21 Nov 23, 2011

PEOPLE LISTEN UP!!! If they cant sell it, then they arent going to buy it!!! They may already have too many of that item, or its out of season, or just not whats in style...maybe you think it is, but maybe its not!! Its a freakin business!! THEY CANT GIVE YOU MUCH FOR THE ITEMS, THEY NOT ONLY have to make a profit, but they have rent/mortgage on the building, business costs, employees to pay, electric to pay etc etc etc... you have NO idea how much it costs to run a business...so if they gave you $15 for a pair of hollister pants, then sold them for $16...they would never make any freakin money...thus there would be no store...there would be no platos closet, so GET OVER IT!!! and if you see a faded shirt just like the one they turned down from you hanging on the rack and you think...why didnt they buy mine? well maybe that item was donated!!! and product that is donated can be sold for complete and total profit, thus making the business run!!! I have only been in Platos closet a couple times, but I own my own business and its ridiculous that people expect much money from a used clothing store, ..even if the item is brand new with the tags, it must be sold at a much cheaper price simply because of the store...and yes mistakes are sometimes made...a skirt may be on sale for $5 when it might be at walmart for $4...but the people at platos closet dont know everything...im sure they are pricing the items what they think will sell and have history selling these items, so they ought to know dont you think?

• Sh
    Sheeba28 Sep 02, 2011

I agree with the complaints 100% I droppedclothes off at the milfours ct location filled out a card with my name number and e mail and was told specifically that they would call me due to all the clothes they had to go through. I spent an hour in the store and asked if my clothes were looked at and they said no they would contact me. . They contacted me and told me I had until closing to pick up my clothes. What they didn't tell me was that they stole 4 pairs of guess jeans. I was told I was lucky I got my clothes back. When I asked what happened to my 75.00 guess jeans they said they can take what they want after 24 hours. They should have been honest with me in the first place. I will never go there again and I will give all my clothes to charity from now on. Please listen to the reviews I didn't and they style, 4 pairs of guess jeans shame on them!!!

• Do
    doggiesmums Aug 02, 2011

I just want to comment for people who take their clothing to Goodwill. Goodwill is not just for helping those in need. Most of Goodwill's CEO's make from $300, 000 to $800, 000 per year. So if you think your clothes are going to help the unfortunate, think again. Look up Goodwill CEO salaries on internet, if you want to know for sure. As for Plato's Closet, I have only been in one, but I have a similar resale shop. When I buy someone's clothing I am taking the chance that their clothes will sale. There is no stress on the seller. If you don'tr like the way Plato's Closet does business, take your clothes to a consignment shop and WAIT to see if your clothes sell, and then WAIT to get your money. Many consignment shops do not give you a print=out of what sold, so you have to trust they are telling you the truth of what was sold, when you check to see if you made any money. Then you lose if your clothes have become damaged or have been shop lifted. So consider yourself blessed that Plato's takes ANY of your clothing. If you want to spend the extra time or effort to sell on ebay, be my guest. If you want to get rid of your clothes, get something for them, and maybe get something "new" all at the same time, be satisfied with what Plato's closed gives you.

• Dm
    Dmmccomas Jul 11, 2011

When i went to take my older stuff to Plato's Closet they didnt look through my bag they just said they couldnt use any of it!! Most of it was hand me downs from my 21 year old friend, like heals and shirts. Some of the pants i had in there were from Rue 21 and they had told me they were to childish to take.

• Fa
    Fashionfreeak Jun 29, 2011

Plato's Closet is AMAZING if you are on a budget. Well, I think anyways. I have been going there since one of my friends brought it up, and that I heard it on the radio 24/7. Now, the best things to get there are belts, jewelry and espically jeans. The brand "Guess" is expensive right? I found a boot cut pair for $9 when they had a big sale. The sale where you find a star on the tag and its 50% off. Yeah. Well I personally love it there, because well there are SO MANY sizes there, name brand jeans, cute clothes and cheap. Once I got a long sleeve boho looking shirt for $2.5o, and most of the clothes are in good or great condition. (Espically jeans.)The thing I don't like is how you only can take only five items at a time, they don't except a ton of clothes, (very picky, even if it is like Abercrombie or something like that), and shirts are almost the same price as jeans. I kind of understand why they don't give you much money, because they first of all don't charge much money for the clothes. And you HAVE worn it before. If not well.. I don't really know haha. But the workers are ok in my opinion. Do I love them? No. But they occasionally are nice and helpful. Why are they always so young though? I don't know. I guess it depends on what exact one you go to. So overall, I reccomend it. (:

• Tr
    trclem May 24, 2011

First of all, I am the mother of 5 children. I find my local Platos Closet to be a wonderful way to supplement my daughters and sons wardrobe without spending a fortune. We always start there for shorts and cami's, shirts and jeans. I love the idea of recycling clothing and saving money. I would never take our used items there because I would rather donate them to the goodwill, because I KNOW for the money they would offer me I would rather give it to an organization that specializes in Helping the unfortunate and giving handicapped people a chance to work. That is common knowledge and just plain common sense. It is a business and they have guidlines. I personally think most people have an inflated sense of self worth, if you think that the clothes are worth more, don't take the money and complain or better yet have a yard sale and put your price on the tag and see if someone pays you what you think they are worth. If they do, then you should open up your own used clothing store and I should think you would do well. The reason I happened upon this forum was because I have been considering opening a franchise of Plato's Closet and I was doing some research. I would like to say that even after reading all of these comments- I am still considering it. All in all, I think the pros outway the cons and it seems all of the people complaining are on the selling side. I love the store from a buyers perspective and I still appreciate the bargains I find at my local store and one more comment, I have run across rude employees and awesome employees everywhere I shop, some of the meanest and rudest ones were in the big Mall stores. You are going to find that everywhere you go, that you just must get used to, it's life.

• It
    itrytobefairtoall Apr 04, 2011

all the stores have to adapt to what there area customers want. A store in a more city type environment might sell more skinny jeans and vans a more "punk rock" type look while a store 30 minutes away those same items will not sell at all and the customers want a more preppy polo look. The stores have to buy what sells in the particular area they are open in. People accuse the stores of trying to tell people they aren't up to date on current fashion this is not at all what the workers are trying to say. The items might not be what people in the main target age group are buying in that area. The workers 99.99% of the time want the customer to have a good experience but it is a very difficult thing to do in this type of business. Rejecting someones items isn't a pleasant task for anyone, the workers aren't thinking that their clothes are better than the customers, the items could just be something that doesn't sell well at that location and since most of the stores have very large inventory's and some items can sit in storage a long time before they are put on the sales floor to sell they have to be selective on the clothing they do accept from people.

lovesclothes Jan 30, 2011

I recently started taking my 2 teenage daughters to a nearby Plato's Closet in Modesto & have shopped there several times to find that it really is a "miss and hit" but you get what you pay for. We do like shopping there with the exception of some employees who either may not like their jobs or have the appropriate training in customer service. They may simply be there for the paycheck. But all are NOT like that. We had a great experience at the Fresno location. There are definitely clothes that are outdated and not so fashionable (at least at this location/Modesto). And just because I'm a mother doesn't mean I don't know anything about fashion &/or what's in or out. I have pretty good fashion sense. So we decided to take in our own clothes & the majority of MY clothes were taken, that's right MY clothes, a 35 yr old mother! Given that I gave several jeans that I had purchased anywhere from 4-5 yrs ago (NO LIE) from discount departments stores. I had a pair of Buffalo brand jeans that they marked up at $25 when I purchased them at Ross for $15 four yrs ago! So much for "up to date". I believe its entirely up to that specific buyer & their liking. They also had Mossimo & No Boundaries brand clothing from Target & WalMart but would not take my Steve Madden/Madden Girl shoes because she wasn't familiar with the brand???!!! Really?! All in all, I would still shop there. Just don't take it personal if they don't accept your clothes. Take it elsewhere.

Lola_P Oct 28, 2010

I'm not sure when the last post was made here for Plato's but what I can be sure of is that I am officially fed up with this retail facility.

I'm not going to sit here and complain that I've bought in TONS of clothes and have only been offered a few dollars for the things I've brought in. I fully understand the concept of the store and I appreciate when I AM able to sell items. What I will complain about however is the inconsistency with the store's terms on buying items.

The store's "policies" highlight that items must be gently used in good condition and clean, also it is advised that items must not be excessively faded etc etc. I am a firm believer in washing the clothes I'm going to take to Plato's before I take them in, so I really can't appreciate when the employees tell me that the reason they aren't buying my items is because they are faded...clearly I've just washed them, I don't know of ANY brand of clothing that doesn't fade at least a little due to washing, even if it's just once.

The second complaint I have includes the fact that I work at one of the major retail chains that Plato's appreciates clothes from. In this respect, (and hopefully I don't sound like a jerk) I "know" what is and isn't "in fashion". Our stores follow all of the latest trends and as associates, we are expected to keep up with the latest trends as well.

With that being said, the "trends" for the "teenage audience" that most stores target honestly have not changed dramatically in the past 4-6 years. The only trend that has changed specifically has been jeans, but I won't elaborate on that. In any case most of the time items I wear to work consists of "last years trends", and tons of customers end up asking me "Where is that shirt/hoodie/etc?" as if it were a current item.

The point I'm trying to make is that Plato's (especially the location I am ranting about, but I'm not going to put them on front street) stresses that items should be purchased from within the past year if you are considering selling them when in reality, the average person doesn't know what was "last year's fashion" and what isn't. There have definitely been instances where I have brought in items from YEARS past that I have kept in good condition that Plato's has purchased. I really cannot appreciate the "know-it-all" Plato's associates who try to tell you essentially that your items are "out of fashion" when in reality the same things in different colors are being sold at the mall.

With all of that being said, my main complaint is that Plato's seems to be a VERY inconsistent chain. I understand that Plato's locations are owned and operated independently, but I really feel like there should be a very specific set of guidelines in place that each Plato's needs to follow in terms of what will and will not be purchased and customers need to be made fully aware of these guidelines across the board. If that cannot be done then associates should be truthful in telling you why they can't purchase your items. I would much rather hear "I'm sorry but we have WAY to much inventory in our store and unfortunately can't purchase anything from you at this time." Rather than, "Oh, well these items (that have been freshly washed and checked beforehand for stains, rips, and excessive wear by you personally before you came into our store) are stained and faded."

And as a side note: to the employees on this forum that have posted responses in defense of the Plato's closet chain, this is a complaint board, people come here to complain. We know you can't buy everything, and we don't expect you to, but we do expect you to be fair and grant people decent customer service as we shop/sell to your facilities.

• En
    english.major1234 Sep 14, 2010

It WAS taken to a local teen shelter. My typo, my bad.

• En
    english.major1234 Sep 14, 2010

I worked at Plato's closet and although I did not enjoy working there for the most part, I hear some of the complaints and they're the same complaints we got when we worked there. First of all, when I was looking through clothes and I bought something that my manager didn't feel was acceptable, I got called out for it in front of all of the other employees. Sometimes we'd be put on buying probation and wouldn't be able to go through clothes anymore, even though that's the most fun part of the job. So if we didn't take your stuff, it's because we were afraid of getting ridiculed in front of everyone and being demoted to opening fitting rooms for people who brought in 50 items and brought out none of them.

Second of all, girls that work there become stone faces because most of the time, even if they're nice to you, you're going to be rude anyway. So they stop trying to be nice and just try to be stoic and not let it affect them. I had gone home in tears multiple times from people that I KNOW i was nice to that were plain old rude to me because I couldn't take their clothes. So I stopped caring as much and got tougher skin. I'm sure that's how a lot of other employees have become because it's too draining to care about a customer that cares nothing about you. Maybe we come off as rude, but we're jaded from the bitter cruelty people show towards us just because we can't buy their old clothing that they no longer want anymore.

Honestly, I know that I have good fashion sense and I know what is good clothing and what isn't. But people who are looking for expensive name brand clothing probably aren't shopping at Plato's closet, and that's why we don't take it. Our target demographic is teen girls who are not going to wear blazers or dress pants. Yes, they might be very stylish but they'll sit on our rack until we clearance them out and lose money on the deal.

Thirdly, our store donated the extra clothing that wasn't taken to a local teen shelter. The man who opened the shelter came by weekly and we knew him well. He was always so grateful to have the clothes for the shelters and we all cared for and respected him. We also had cameras in the back room where we kept our donations, and anyone caught taking clothes from the back was immediately fired and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. We don't get to just sit back there and have a huge free for all. Taking the donations is just as bad as stealing and we COULD NOT do it, even if the person selling the clothes told us we could have them. We had to decline, even when they'd insist we take them.

I will say that I was overworked at Plato's and didn't get paid enough. People that work there act as if Plato's is life and the rest is just afterthought. I never got promoted even though I had worked there over a year and a half and had lots of retail experience prior to being hired there. Honestly, it was the only place hiring at the time. But even though I was worked to the bone and disrespected by both coworkers and customers alike, I refuse to sit and listen to Plato's get bashed. YOU ARE LUCKY Plato's even exists for you. You're lucky that you have the option of receiving $10 for your clothes. You're LUCKY we pay you cash on the spot for the clothes you don't even want anymore. So stop complaining or go elsewhere. You don't have to get money for your used clothes; we just offer that possibility. Plato's is a business and we can't walk on egg shells around everyone. Stop getting your feelings hurt, buck up and realize that you're lucky that an organization like Plato's exists so you can get some money for your rejected clothing.

anonymouseer Aug 12, 2010

It depends where you live. I live in Florida and my nearest Plato's is wonderful! I brought two medium-sized bags of clothing in and walked out with 70 dollars and a much cleaner closet. They are picky about what you bring in though. They claim to know what is new versus old clothing, but I have sold them a few items that were well over two years old. You might bring them perfectly new clothing but chances are they have many of the same item/style...they can't take a bunch of things that are similar because after all they want a variety.
    Please stop complaining about not being paid enough! If they pay you what they plan to sell an item for, how are they supposed to make money. If you are that annoyed then might I introduce you to my good old friend ebay.com!!!
    Plato's employees are the sweetest. At my local store they range from upperclassmen in high school to college grads. Each one has her own unique style, and I often look to them for styling tips. They are not pushy and don't force you to "look around" while they are sorting through your clothes. They are happy to help, plus their faces are always complete wih a smile.
    So if you would like to continue to degrade Plato's then open up your own store for crying out loud! Go sell your clothes somewhere else.

• Sw
    swimpretty23 Aug 03, 2010

Honestly, I love Plato's Closet. I have worked at two different locations and think it is a great place to buy and sell. For the people who complain it takes too long for us to go through your items please put yourselves in the employees shoes for a second. We may get seventy customers coming in on a Saturday selling us clothes. Most people bring items in trash bags, and usually they bring at least two bags. In each bag there may be 30 pieces of clothing. So for one person we're looking at 60 pieces of clothing. Yes, we are trained to do so, but we are trying to buy the best merchandise for your benefit. That way when you come in our store you get a great variety and find exactly what you are looking for. We try as best we can to go through items in a timely manner, but some days are just super busy. As for us not always having a great selection, we can only sell what we buy; therefore we completely rely on our customers to bring us in great merchandise to sell. If we don't have something it's simply because others aren't bringing it in. We do our best to ask our customers if we need certain things, but in this economy people aren't bringing the stuff in that they paid a lot of money for. They simply can't afford to. Anyone who has had a problem with customer service, I am truly sorry. I know that I love my job and try to help out in any way that I can. I am a very happy person and have an infectious personality that can make pretty much anyone smile, but I know a lot of employees aren't that way. Next time if you really have a problem feel free to let a manager know about a specific employee. You deserve to have a great experience - - we want you to love our store and come back again, it helps us to help you. If you have any questions about our buy policy or what we take please feel free to ask. I would love to answer any questions =]

cheer15 Jul 24, 2010

they are slow! and way too strict on their clothes. bag a sale deals arer horrible!! too many people!

• Ho
    Honesty27 Jul 08, 2010

First of all, I want to apologize to all of you who have had bad experiences at a Plato's Closet. Please keep in mind that Plato's Closet is a franchise, just like McDonald's or other popular stores. Each store is individually owned and operated. This means that although the franchise has specific guidlines regarding everything, including the language we use when describing what we buy and do not buy, training, and how to confront issues of potential theft; it is up to the managers and owners to be sure to implement these polocies. If they do not, feel free to point it out at the Plato's website (www.platoscloset.com) so these stores can stop giving all Plato's a bad name. Also, different Plato's Closets will take different items. These items are based on the customer's preferences. So certain brands or styles may be passed on at any given store because we can only buy what we can sell.

Many clothing items have the date put in them. For those that do not, they tend to change the way the tags looks every few years. Buyers are trained to notice this and we are looking for items in current style that are not older than a year to a year and a half. Some exceptions might be made, but this is not common. You also can not judge by the racks entirely. Our inventory fluctuates on a daily basis, so the fact that a certain pair of jeans that look just like yours are on our floor might mean that they have been sitting there for a while and it was a bad buy that will soon go to clearance. That mistake might be due to a new bu

Also, just because an item is new with tags doesn't mean it is "new, " or current style. If you shop at stores like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, etc., some of the styles that these stores receive are already a year or more old. If you shop the clearance racks frequently, those styles are also old. That's why they are on clearance. They couldn't sell for regular price and now the store has to sell them at a discounted rate to try to get them to move so thay have room for new merchandise. Not saying you can't find some great things in the TJ Maxx type stores or on clearance. I personally love both. But please understand that if we pass on these items, although they may still have tags on them and they may be recently purchased, they aren't really new. They could have been sitting in a store six months to a year before you bought them. Also, sometimes people forget how long it's been since they bought the item that they bring in. Sometimes they swear it was just a month or two ago. I have had moms bring in their daughter's clothes and swear they just bought a pair of new jeans for their 15 year old daughter and then the daughter will politely say "Mom, take the offer. I got those jeans for my 14th birthday."

Please do not be offended if we pass on your items because of style. You may have great style and great brands but they may not sell well for our customers, which are primarily girls and boys, ages 11 to 19. So designer duds or mature/sophisticated styles aren't what we're looking for. And if we pass on a particular item like khaki pants, prom dresses, books, or fragrances, it's because we've simply got too many and demand is less than the supply. If our customers don't want it, we can't buy it from you.

As far as how much we offer, I like to think of it in a formula: How much the item cost/many times I wore it. So if a shirt cost $10 and I wore it 20 times, then I spent $.50 cents every time I wore it. And now, Plato's wants to give me back about $2 for a shirt that I only spent $.50 cents to wear and I don't want anymore? Sounds good to me. Perhaps that's a bit optimistic for some of you. But the bottom line is we are a resale shop. We can't give you what you paid for the item because we sell it back at as much as 75% of that.

I hope this helps. And I hope that you will continue to buy and sell from us because in this economy, stores like Plato's Closet provide jobs, and they help out people that might not otherwise be able to afford brand name clothes for their growing families. And if you get a chance to sell back what you don't want anymore, then that's money in your pocket and less clutter at home!