Petcorude store managers and disgusting conditions for animals

Well, I can see that Im not the only one in Mtn. Home who is fed up with our local Petco store and their horrible service. I went into the store again after several months of not visiting and had an even worse experience than last time.

I went in to the store in September 2010 to get assistance in the fish dept as I do a few times a month. I usually deal with Wesley, but he was not available so Laurie asked me if I needed help. When I told her yes, she was very rude like I was inconveniencing her and she told Barbara to help me. Barbara did not know anything that I was asking about, so I asked when Wesley was scheduled to be back in. Barbara left to check his schedule, and Laurie returned to me and yelled at me that I had no right to ask Wesley's schedule and she said that she wasn't even sure that he was coming back. I was very tired of Laurie's attitude by then so I asked to speak with the manager. She said that she was the only manager and if I needed to complain about her, she's the only one I can complain to so no one is going to do anything about it. I left the store then and I called back a few times during the weekend and the following week to speak with Wesley to get my questions answered, and no one will tell me when he may be available.

3 different associates avoided answering this simple question when I they have given me this info previously. I made my complaint on Petco.com and I received an automated response that it was being investigated, but I never heard anything more from them. If I had only looked on here sooner, I could have found out what happened to him since he has made complaints too along with another store worker! That is so pathetic that a current employee can't even be heard by their employer and has to sneak around anonymously reporting them to get anything done.

I had to suck it up and visit the store again recently because it's the only place that my son can buy a mouse for his snake now. Petco caused all of the mom and pop stores in our community to shut down.
I just wanted to get in and out with the mouse, and I had trouble finding an associate to help me. When I told my son that we may need to come back another time, a woman who did not appear to work there came up and asked if I needed help. I told her that I just need to buy a mouse for my son's snake, and she said "oh, you can't do that". I asked who she was and if she worked there, and she said "I'm the manager's mom, but I know that they won't sell mice for food". I told her rather sarcastically "Thanks for the info, but we have bought mice for food here before". She said, "Well, my daughter is working today, and I can tell you that she will NOT sell you a mouse." I asked who her daughter was, and guess what she said? Yep, her daughter is Laurie.

I walked around the store a few times looking for Laurie and found her huddled in a corner with stickers and making sure to avoid all customers. By the way, as I was looking for her, I looked around the fish dept. and it was in despicable conditions. I must have counted at least 60-70 dead fish floating in tanks. The tanks also all have this gross algae all over glass, and I saw several fish that were very sick with ick or other obvious diseases.

Anyways, I approached Laurie and told her that I need to buy a mouse for my son's snake and that her mom just told me that I can't buy one. I don't know if she recognized me from our issue in September, but I did not remind her. Laurie told me, "That's true. If you didn't say that it was for the snake, I could sell you one, but since I know that it will be food, I am not allowed to do that." I told her that was absolutely ridiculous, and that I want to buy a mouse as a pet instead then. She said that she can't since I already said that it was food and she knows that it won't really be a pet, and she suggested that I buy frozen mice. I told her that his snake will not eat the frozen mice that have been offered before, and it should not be any of her business what our intentions are for this mouse. She said "Sorry, but my hands are tied. I can only sell you frozen mice."

Well, that just did it for me. I had to walk out of the store before I kicked her teeth in. I am by-passing telling Petco anything more about this incident since they didn't help me before, and I am so angry that I want to take the to the Better Business Bureau.

What a horrible store with horrible employees. I beg everyone to stop shopping there so that they will shut down and move out of town. They don't do anything positive for our community or even offer any full time jobs for anyone in our town - only the managers who aren't from here, and the whole place just needs to disappear so that our well-loved mom and pop stores can reopen and stand a chance.

• Po
    pobarjenkins Jan 29, 2011

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, though you must know that they cannot tell you the employee's schedule without that employee's consent. It's an invasion of privacy.

• Li
    listentb May 25, 2011

Are you sure this wasn't at Petsmart? Petsmart sells frozen but not live mice. Petco sells live mice, and most snake owners go there to get their feeders. Petsmart's policy forbids them to sell their live mice as food for reptiles. If she sold it to you, she could've gotten fired if her manager found out. So don't blame her.

• My
    MyLe2011 Jun 05, 2011

Hi,

The Petco here in Seattle, on Aurora Avenue, sells "Feeder Mice." They are cheaper, and meant for FEEDING. I ask for "feeder mice" and at the register tell them how many I have in the box and I say "I have one, male FEEDER MOUSE."

Today I confirmed that ALL PETCOS HAVE THE SAME STORE POLICIES.

I would suggest ordering feeder mice online or having a friend get the mice for now, and meanwhile getting the policy (without letting them know why) in writing from corporate by writing them a physical letter. You might not get through using the traditional complaint routes. In the letter, softly mention litigation if the snake suffers or dies. Mention that a court can easily find their policies. Mention you will be documenting all refusals to sell you a mouse.

Another alternative is to purchase gerbils (snakes prefer them). They cost more, but the employees will likely not question their use as snake food due to the increased cost.

As a reptile owner, I will pray for your strength in fighting these anti-reptile people. Such hypocrites. Let their poor fish die in the water they "breathe" while they "save" the life of a mouse. More likely than not that mouse will be sold to a kid who won't care for it, and a parent who won't shell out money for a vet visit for a meer mouse.

Good luck to you!!!

• Je
    JerryG. Jul 19, 2011

Wesley was fired for lies that the other employees said about how he fed a mouse to snake but neither one of them was Petco's property. This store is just a joke. I just worked there for 2 days and walked out on them because of all the ###. They DO sell mice for feeding there too, Laurie must of just been PMSy that day.