Orbitzno service and no refund

I made a group reservation.

March 10th

- They processed the payment by check

- They also left me a voice mail and e-mailed me to say that they couldn't give me the hotel rate that I placed a deposit on.

March 12th

- I canceled the reservation and asked for a refund

April 15th

- I checked on the status of the refund.

April 16th

- The said that it takes 4-6 weeks.

May 7th

- filed a complaint with BBB

May 8th

- received a response from Orbitz saying the hotel just sent the money back and they would be sending the refund in 10 days.

- BBB asked if I wanted to accept this response

May 17

- replied to BBB that I do not accept the response because it's been 10 days and I still haven't received a refund

As you can see, it looks like Orbitz is either hard up for money and doesn't want to let any money go back out the door or they're running some type of scam on customers by baiting and switching prices and then never giving a refund. Out of all the complaints about them that I saw at the Better Business Bureaus, most are about refunds. If I can't find a lawyer to sue for this, I'm going to small claims court.

• Us
    Uswer Mar 31, 2014

I booked a flight on March 2017, I paid $300.00 above the regular economy price at the time because the seating chart for this price showed the economy plus section. I figured out it was ok since i was paying $300 more to seat in economy plus.. After a couple of days i checked my seating and they had bumped me back to regular economy class. I called orbtiz two times only to be informed that there was nothing they can do and that they weren't sure if I really was showed the economy plus in the seating chart. I can prove it since my booking confirmation shows i picked seat 30d which is inside economy plus. They were no help at all, I feel like I was intentionally tricked into buying a more expensive ticket. Now I am left with a $300 more expensive economy seat.

Orbitz Jun 11, 2013

Hi,

My name is Sarah, and I am part of the Orbitz Customer Relations Team. We want to learn more about your experience so that we can address the issue. Please email us at [email protected] and enter my name in the subject line, so that I can investigate further.

Sarah

• Ve
    very angry in texas Jun 10, 2013

I made reservations to fly with my significant other in Feb for a May 2nd departure. He decided not to go around April 30th. He had cheated on me... lovely! The first part of my flight was in the US but Iberia was the international carrier. I called American and they separated the ID number on tickets. He went ahead and cancelled the tickets, but I had paid for them. Orbitz allowed him to cancel yet it was on my credit card. The departure date was May 2nd, and they now tell me that I needed to rebook with an Iberian flight by May 2nd. I would be very cautious with Orbitz... to add insult to injury I was on hold for over 3 hours total in trying to make some headway on this. I will never ever use Orbitz again. I hope the female he cheated with has the opportunity to read this and find out what a jerk he is. I was told initially by American that I would lose $275 on the ticket and then Orbitz told me they would charge me $30 to reissue. But now, nothing!

Orbitz May 12, 2013

Hi

My name is Jeanna, and I am part of the Orbitz Customer Relations Team. We want to learn more about your experience so that we can address the issue. Please email us at [email protected] and enter my name in the subject line, so that I can investigate further.

Jeanna

• Im
    image maker May 11, 2013

That sound about right after I spoke to Josie a customer rep. tonight to inform her when we booked vacation package through Orbitz back in March 2017...No one ever inform us the condition of Spirit airline...all they told us "this is a great package and saves you tons of money" when I contact spirit airline...first of all, it is very difficult to speak to actual human being...all you heard is recording...further we found out that we have to pay all the baggage, carry on plus purchase our own seats..we would not have booked this package through Orbitz if we have been fully informed by Orbitz customer rep. ...all they told us is "that is not their problem...therefore, there is no refund..they just sale the tickets"... customer rep. also said you have received our E-mail itinerary "...but the tricky part is we received the emal itinerary AFTER WE PAID orbitz...another word, we won't book the package if they have informed us what is going on with Spirit airline ...

NO MORE SCAM Jan 17, 2013

THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM! I WILL NOT USE THEM AGAIN AND AM LETTING FRIENDS AND FAMILY KNOW ABOUT THEIR PRACTICES. I ENCOURAGE YOU TO DO THE SAME.

NO MORE SCAM Jan 17, 2013

Orbitz May 22, 2012

Hi Olpier,

Jeanna

• Ol
    Oliper May 21, 2012

If you search for flights from North America to South it is likely that LAN Chile will come up. Often they will be the cheapest or have the best schedule. I am not saying not to use them but please be aware of what is happening to me:

Using Orbitz I purchased a RT Tijuana to Quito on LAN Chile. Two days before the April 28, 2017 departure I received a routine e-mail reminder from Orbitz. I noticed the middle of the three return segments was commencing prior to the first. I would have had to fly Lima to Mexico City prior to flying Quito to Lima. Obviously an impossible schedule and an error that was not there when I purchased the e-ticket more than a month earlier.

I immediately called Orbitz and after a while was told to call back in the morning. I did and they finally told me they had “fixed” the problem by moving the other two segments back one day. I did not want to loose a day of my already short trip but it was too late at that point I was told.

I arrived at the Tijuana airport 2.5 hours early. Aero Mexico was the operator of my LAN flight. Towards the end of the check in process I was told that I had to pay a change fee. I politely protested but agreed to pay it. I got shuffled around to two different windows but neither could process the fee due to LAN being closed on a Saturday. The Aero Mex staff worked very hard to get me on that flight but the clocked ticked down and ultimately they could not let me board.

I returned home to San Diego and called Orbitz. They also could not do anything due to the weekend and told me to call back later. I asked if they could work on rescheduling and they took down some possible dates from me and said they would look into it.

I have been calling them over the past several days, each time having to explain myself and finally getting transferred to the international staff. So far all I have been told is that LAN is denying a refund except for unused taxes. Orbitz has given me a tepid pledge to possibly process a refund but it will take 36 days. A rescheduling seems to be out of the question.

I blame LAN for making the idiotic schedule change but fault Orbitz for not having their computers programmed to catch the error. I blame both for not being available at the critical time when, despite my outbound flight being error free, I was not allowed to board. Everyone lost. My trip was ruined and three segments that day had an empty seat.

It is also very unsettling that neither company was willing to put a person on this fiasco and see it through. I am on my own. Luckily I am fighting this from the comfort of my home and not from some airport hotel in a strange city. This situation could have been a lot worse is what I keep telling myself.

• Ru
    Rufus 100 Feb 28, 2012

I booked a round trip ticket from NY ---> Florida. Wanted to change 1 leg (the outbound leg only), so I could go one day earlier. Orbitz insisted on re-booking the entire round trip ticket, including the 2nd leg (the return flight), even though I wasn't making changing to the 2nd leg. The new outbound ticket to Florida a day earlier was the same price, but the return flight (for which I was not making any change) was $200 more. Orbitz tried to tell me I had to pay the $200. Orbitz also told me they were following JetBlue's policy. Obviously, JetBlue denies having the policy. To make matters worse, Orbitz Customer Service then agreed to make the change, sending me an email, however when I called the customer service department, they would not honor the quote previously conveyed to me. I will never use Orbitz again and in fact, all of this was my fault because I should've known not to use Orbitz in the first place. Booking directly with the source is the way to go.

• Ga
    Gamovr Feb 17, 2012

We were two couples that spent a long time researching discount sites and chose Orbitz because their website showed that we could select the seats, which we wanted to be all together. The seat selector came up and both couples chose our seats for each of the flights to Rome and back. Then Orbitz took our money on their website and, after taking our money, they put a statement on our confirmations that our seats were not assigned. When we called to complain they said they do not assign seats, and that you have to wait for check-in to do that! I asked why they allowed us to make seat selections if they don't assign seats? They had no reasonable answer. We feel that Orbitz scammed us into using them by falsely making us believe we were choosing seats. I will never use them again.

Orbitz Jan 16, 2012

Hi Nolney,

My name is Lynne, and I am part of the Orbitz Customer Relations Team. We want to learn more about your experience so that we can address the issue. Please email us at [email protected] and enter my name in the subject line, so that I can investigate further.

Lynne

Nolney Jan 10, 2012

Dont book any travel with Orbitz. I booked a $225 dollar a night holiday hotel in Israel, and arrived on Christmas morning with my family and found that the hotel DIDNT EXIST. Orbitz response...not our problem... This is how they stand behind their services. they have no guarantee and will not back their reservations.

• Ri
    Riped off consumer Dec 02, 2011

Orbitz is a fraud. I am sad when I realized how poorly Orbitz treats American consumers. Orbitz has no accountability to their customers.

• Du
    Dumb but now wiser Oct 04, 2011

Orbitz prominently promotes their "Price Assurance Guarantee". No mention of any MAJOR exclusion appears in their promoting of this. When you check the very fine print, after several clicks into Customer Service, you find that it applies only to individual bookings and that any and all PACKAGE DEALS are EXCLUDED. Since I assume that such packages are among the major business that Orbitz conducts, they apparently feel free to sucker people in and dump on them when they try to invoke the guarantee. They skate and you're left stuck with their higher rate "package". Check it yourselves. Never again, Orbitz.

Orbitz Sep 21, 2011

Hi,

My name is Shalon with the Orbitz Customer Relations Team in Chicago. I saw your post and would like to assist. Can you please email to me your Orbitz Record Locator, and I will review and respond to you. Our email address is [email protected] Please put attention to me in the subject line; also, include your screen-name and the website you posted on.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Shalon

• Wh
    Why Bother book with Orbitz Sep 20, 2011

Beware of reserving through Orbitz as they will not stand behind their representation of their services. We had problem with both hotel and rental car. What they advertised and what we actually paid were very different. When we called Orbitz they said we had to negotiate with the Hotel and Car rental company. Also Hotel and rental car company refused to honor the prices Orbitz had told us. Our vacation ended up costing $400 more than what we had budgeted and paid for through Orbitz. We felt like bate and switch, a lot of information was conviently left out and we were not given the infomation ahead of time. We booked for 3 people but they booked us in one room that could only fit two people and an roll away bed would not fit the room and we had no choice but rent the only avialble room the Hotel had at the time. We found our selves in a position to defend for ourselves with no where else to turn. Also there was several hidden costs that Orbitz basically said they did not have to tell us in advance because they had stated that cost is only estimated. It appeared Orbitz customer service had a response for everything. For car rental they never told us that the car rental will require $500 deposit or provide an accurate representation of the taxes and fees. I recommend checking with the hotel and car rental and book with them directly rather booking through Orbitz. We feel Orbitz conducted deceptive advertising and luring us to buy throught Orbitz. We spent three hours to sort out our hotel room and over 8 hours over the phone to sort this out coming to find out that their customer relation is not even in United States! No wonder they could not understand why three people can not fit on two beds!

• Do
    Dorothy56 May 05, 2011

Orbitz's customer relations responded to my complaint about deception in advertising their low price assurance program. Although their low price assurance only applies when another Orbitz customer books the same reservation for less (which is not likely), the airline's low fare assurance is no more likely (since the low fare must be from either the same day booking or a large service charge is added to any reservation changes for a later lower fare). I appreciate Orbitz's follow-up to my complaint.

• Do
    Dorothy56 Apr 29, 2011

Orbitz's low price assurance is not a good value. Airlines typically have their own low price assurance guarantee. It works 100% of the time. Orbitz's guarantee only works when "another Orbitz customer" books a lower price for the same itinerary. The chances of that is close to zero. Orbitz's price assurance has little real value.

I tried to negotiate a Orbitz voucher but they were very firm about the deceit they promote. Expedia is much more customer friendly.

Next time I will book through the airlines directly. Check to see if the airlines have a low price guarantee.

Orbitz Jan 25, 2011

Hi,

My name is Shalon with Orbitz Customer Relations. I saw your post, and would like to see if I can assist. Can you please email to me your Orbitz Record Locator, and I will review and respond to you. Our email address in [email protected] Also, please include the blog in which you posted on, along with your screenname, and put attention to Shalon in the subject line of the email.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Shalon

• Li
    Lisa Duvall Jan 25, 2011

Tired of unauthorized charges from your debit account? I have the knowledge and experience needed to get your money.

Please email me at [email protected] for additional information or go to the website above

• Ci
    C in key Jan 24, 2011

In 11/9 I booked a business trip through ORBITZ I did not end up needing to take. In 7/9 I tried to use the credit but was told it had to be same itinerary. That was about a 30min frustrating conversation. In 12/10 I tried to use credit again but after navigating voicemail and being on hold for 18 min I was disconnected. I tried again 1/11 and was told my money was gone. Over a year, no credit, no tickets too bad. How can they just take my $910 with no compensation? I strongly advise not using ORBITZ or only using them to check prices then book through the airline. At least if your plans change you'll still have something.

• Lh
    lhostler Dec 24, 2010

I booked flights for myself, my daughter and my niece to Mexico in October.

At that time, the return flight was 1/2 empty, with plenty of seats. I chose my seats.

When I logged back in to check my flight, my seats were missing, I requested them again.

This happened at least 6 times, so I contacted Orbitz.

I was told there was nothing that they could do because it was a codeshare flight.

I continued to try to get my seats, while watching the flight fill up. Others were clearly able to get confirmed seats. Why wasn't I?

Now, there are no seats open on the flight and I may be stuck in Mexico as the flight is on a holiday (January 1).

If we do not return home that night, my niece will miss her flight to return home and I will be on the hook for an additional ticket!

Not to mention, the children will now most likely be seated next to strangers if we actually get on the flight.

• Ra
    Rafael Aug 02, 2010

I originally purchased a ticket through Orbitz in February. The flight was subsequently cancelled due to the BA strikes (23rd of March). I was originally told a refund would take 6 to 8 weeks. It has now been over 17.

I have spent at least an hour every week since then trying to get someone from the Orbitz call centre to either pass me to someone who can help or offer more clarity as to what the issues are. These calls have involved about 10 different people, all recycling the same messages and no-one actually making any progress.

The responses to date, both by phone and by email, have been hugely disappointing, and I am rightly very irritated at the lack of action taken by their agents or their ability to put me in touch with anyone who can actually help the situation.

Can anyone provide a contact or help in how I may take this forward as I feel I keep on hitting a brick wall.

• Me
    Mekalio Jul 27, 2010

We bought an all inclusive trip to cancun through orbitz for decemeber 2017. Upon reaching cancun, the hotel demanded additional $1440. We called Orbitz and a representative spoke to me and then to hotel and then back to me and told me to pay the amount and that Orbitz will refund it.

Upon coming back to Detroit, we sent the amex bill to Orbitz. Dint hear anything. Called back in April and a lady Tony said she will pay the money back and asked me to fax the amex bill . We blacked out a line (a different one) previously on the bill, but faxed it anyway. They kept us waiting and waiting. Then asked us to fax a complete bill. We did so, two weeks back.

Now they tell us that hotel is refusing to communicate with them so, they wont pay us the money they promissed.

Jacob Jul 05, 2010

I bought a vacation package from them that listed the airport I was leaving from as being in San Diego, CA. Not knowing San Diego, I assumed the information was correct. The airport was actually 50 miles north of San Diego, but there was nothing in the web site reservation information that indicated this fact. I could have chosen a closer airport for the same price that left a little later, but didn't because I thought the flight I chose would work. I now have to pay an extra $100 to get to the airport or rebook my flight.

Orbitz Apr 05, 2010

Hello,

I want to apologize for the typographical errors in the previous response and would appreciate the opportunity to assist with your complaint. I look forward to receiving your Orbitz Record Locator.

Orbitz Apr 05, 2010

Hello,

I am with Orbitz Customer Relations and would like the opportuntity to assist with your comaplint. Please forward em your Orbitz Record Locator.

• Te
    Texas passenger Apr 04, 2010

Orbitz apparently ALWAYS charges for trip insurance for international flights.

They claimed there was a way to opt-out, but I never saw it.

It took me over 30 minutes on the phone to get the charges reversed---BUT of course I won't get my money back "until the next billing cycle".

Many people will never realize they were charged and those that do will have to spend a great deal of time to get their money back.

This is a scam to enable Orbitz and Access America to make money from people who have NO intention of buying trip insurance --because they hold our money for up to 30 days before refunding it.

• Di
    disgustedinoregon Mar 10, 2010

I made a hotel reservation on the Orbitz web site. It was a non-refundable rate. But after I completed the reservation, the confirmation message indicated that I had made a reservation at a different hotel!

So I called Orbitz, and they called the hotel for permission to cancel the reservation--or said they did--but the only person at the hotel who could authorize that was on vacation for a couple of weeks!

So I called the hotel company myself, and they said that Orbitz had the reservation 'locked'--whatever that is--and they couldn't help me either.

It's somewhat amazing to me that there are only two companies involved in this transaction, and between them they are completely helpless.

I feel like a rube who got hustled out the back door at the carnival.

I've called the credit card company, and they at least are making noises like they are going to help me. We shall see.

• Be
    BenH54 Dec 29, 2009

Booked a reservation for my son in Oct. for a nonstop from Milwaukee to Orlando for Dec.24. When my son got to the airport, he was told he was on a one stop flight connecting in Atlanta. Orbitz made no notification to me even though they had my email, and two phone contacts.

My son's flight was delayed, and missed the connecting flight. He is still not home as I am writing this, on Christmas Eve and 10:30.

I called Orbitz and they asked endless "security" questions. Finally, they told me they had e mailed me on Nov. 3. I have every e mail from them trying to sell me flights and vacations, but there has never been any notification of itinerary change. I will NEVER use them again.

• Complaint is with Orbitz's advertised "low price guarantees" and vague and ambiguous terms and conditions when booking a package. I booked a vacation package with them and 2 days later the identical package came up on their website for almost $1500 LESS than what I paid! When I contacted their customer service department, I received at least three different stories as to why I could not either (a) get a refund for the difference between the two packages or (b) cancel my original package and rebook at the lower price. And when they transferred me to their second tier customer service, I was told that none of their "guarantees" or cancellation policies apply to their vacation packages. There has got to be a class action lawsuit here...

• Br
    Bruce Jul 28, 2009

Upon scheduling a flight, I clicked on itinerary and got forwarded to a coupon that had nothing to do with the flight. I still cannot get the e-ticket and have paid. The website seems to be filled with everything but the information I went there to purchase a ticket. No clear lines for getting that information, and no phone number to call. Just an email that says they will take time to respond... up to 3 hours which is a long time when you are waiting for information.

• Mi
    Michelle Jun 13, 2009

Warning, ORBITZ allows you to select seats on your airline reservation but it means nothing! They just forward those requests to the airline and the airline honors them, if possible. You get no warning from ORBITZ OR the airline if the request is not fulfilled. In fact, if the request is not fulfilled you get no seats and find that out at checkout; at that time seats together are virtually impossible. This happened to me on a flight with my wife from Philadelphia to San Juan on 04-21-09. 'Luckily, ' I found out upon 24-hour early checking and was able to purchase two 'select' seats together at $20.00 a pop! Both USAIR and Orbitz passed the buck.

Lesson, book with the airline, dump ORBITZ, if you want seats together!

• Fr
    Frencis Mar 18, 2009

I booked A 3 day stay with Allstate Inn In Lebanon Oh, Through Orbitz It was listed As indoor and Outdoor pool.When we got there to check in, not only was there no Indoor Or Outdoor Pool, the place smelled so bad I could not breath.The place was filthy and run down . I was not going to subject my wife to that enviroment.So instead of having A romantic Valentine weekend with my wife I had To drive another 40 miles to find A suitable hotel.When I called Orbitz to get A refund I was Charged $63.08 For not giving A 24 Hr Cancelation notice.If It was not Faulty Advertized(INDOOR POOL) I would have Stayed For 3 days.

• Am
    AMIR Mar 05, 2009

I BOOKED 3 AIRLINE TICKETS WITH THEM, THE TOTAL COST IS $3398 AND WHAT HAPPENED IS I FOUND MY DAUGHTER STATED AS AN ADULT AND MY WIFE AS AN CHILD. I CALLED TO FIX THAT THEY SAID NO CANNOT FIXED!!
    I CANCELLED THE RESERVATION, AS OF THEIR POLICY THEY SHOULD GIVE ME CREDITS OF $3398 TO USE IT FOR ANOTHER RESERVATION BUT THEY DON'T AND AFTER I WASTING MORE THAN 3 HOURS WITH THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPT. FINALLY I GOT THAT:
    I WILL LOOSE ABOUT $442.32 PLUS TAX PER EACH TICKET WHICH IS TOTAL LOOSE OF $1500
    "I CAN'T PAY $150 FOR EACH TICKET AND TAKE THE SAME TRIP AGAIN OR ANOTHER ONE BY THE $3398 AS OF THEIR POLICY STATED!!"
    ALSO, I HAVE TO WAIT 60 DAYS TO RECEIVE MY MONEY WHICH MEANS I CAN'T TRAVEL TO MY COUNTRY NOW SINCE MY CREDIT WILL BACK AFTER 60 DAYS!!
    (CHARGED ME THE SAME DAY BUT REFUND ME AFTER 60!!)

Cairo 4/14/09
    This trip includes flights.

This reservation has been canceled.

Flight reservation

DIANA IBRAHIM
    Total flight cost: $3, 398.04 USD

• Za
    zartan Feb 05, 2009

I bought a ticket on orbitz.com, and when I got to the airport, I found out the ticket was voided. I called up their customer service line and was diverted to their fraud dept. The idiot from the fraud dept said he couldn't get a hold of me, and that it was my fault. He was rude and did not care that I was stranded. I had to pay $55 cab fare both ways, and was stranded, needless to say. I had to rebook the ticket from another site. This was an awful experience. I will never buy from orbitz.

Christopher Adams Jan 27, 2009

Orbitz Complaints:

We booked all our flights for a trip to Costa Rica through Orbitz, and to our dismay, we were almost stranded and forced to pay for a flight home. We booked our flights down on U.S. Airways and the return flights on Mexicana. A red flag was raised approximately 4 weeks prior to our departure for the trip when I saw that we had several duplicate flights for our return. I promptly phoned Orbitz customer service, and after waiting over 2 Hrs. spoke with a representative. They informed me that flights for my original itinerary, which had us laying over twice, had been cancelled and that the itinerary was changing and being updated to only 1 layover through Mexico City and I would be informed via email. Two weeks later, the itinerary changed, to just one layover and was updated, so I assumed we were fine.

All went accordingly with the trip down, but when we got to the airport to check in for our return flight/s to Los Angeles, the ticket agent at Mexicana took a long time trying to check us in then went in the back to speak with a supervisor. It was then I knew we were in trouble. He and the supervisor came out and explained that the changes to the itinerary had not been reflected or confirmed on their end, and that to complicate things, since our flight down was on U.S. Airways, they couldn’t guarantee us anything for the flight back, but the Mexicana team was extremely diligent and helpful, and proceeded directly to taking us to speak with a U.S. Airways representative who was behind the scenes because the U.S. airways ticket agents weren’t in yet. U.S. Airways also said that the changes were never confirmed in their system and basically said it wasn’t their problem, so now we had no airline honoring our flight. Luckily, the Mexicana team wouldn’t let it go, and they were able to reference our original itinerary with the two layovers, but they could not print tickets without itinerary confirmation from U.S. Airways, and U.S. Airways explained they had no agents that were competent enough to reference and print the itinerary until 1 Hr. prior to our departure. At this point the only other option I was presented was buying new tickets, and I decided to hold out until the end with Mexicana and if U.S. didn’t deliver, I would have to buy 2 new tickets on Mexicana. At the last minute, U.S. Airways delivered the confirmation to Mexicana, and we were confirmed.

After this experience I am done with Orbitz, and most probably all 3rd party travel sites. There customer service was/is atrocious, and furthermore, they simply did not provide the services I contracted them for. If not for the diligence on the part of Mexicana, I would have been either forced to buy new tickets or stranded in Costa Rica. Orbitz negligence managed to make what was otherwise a very wonderful and pleasant vacation, a stress filled nightmare at the end. I booked these tickets more than 8 months in advanced to avoid this kind of confusion and issue. I will tell everyone I know to avoid Orbitz at all costs.

Christopher Adams

• Valerie Sep 02, 2008

We paid the package with two air tickets to Kalispell $916.00 and car rental $582.83 on July 16th.However, budget car rent in Kalispell still charged us $401.82 again on August 15th. This must be a mistake!!! They should return $582.83 for car rental to our credit card.

If you don't check your credit card carefully when you pay it, you may be charged extra a lot.

Orbitz customer service ***! Not efficient at all. I called three times and didn't solve the problem. I will not use orbitz. Don't use it if you can.

Anonymous151 Aug 20, 2008

Hang in there and get your money back. Push it as far as you can with the BBB so they will be forced to answer your complaint!