Nokia 5300broken screen!

M

The first nokia 5300 i purchased was in my jacket pocket late september. i hung my coat gently on my chair at work and later on, checking the time, realized the display had been cracked. this phone is suffering a poor design and marketing them knowingly is highway robbery. i had confidence in nokia products and even bought a second one thinking it was a fluke or something, and planned on sending my first phone in for assessment, to figure how its repair would be financed. i am still waiting to find out, however the second phone (the replacement) i purchased out of pocket broke in my pocket of my pants after walking in them. so disappointed. to add something also my roommate had this phone also, her screen broke also. not joking. so there are 3 broken screens, i've read of others, what is it going to take to get a different nokia, i don't even want a repaired one, or necessarily a nokia. the weirdest thing about these incidents was that both my screens broke above the right side of the keypad on the lower portion of the screen in nearly identical locations!

• Ke
    Kev Doocey Nov 09, 2007

Ya same here, just have the phone and the screens broken, this time at the top lefthand screen. I've already complained and by right we should get a refund or a replacement possibly of a newer one with a stronger screen!

• Li
    Liza Saff Nov 10, 2007

OMG!! My phone was in my pocket for about 5 minutes and i pulled it out and the screen was broken on the bottom right corner also!!! I called tmobile and they said it would cost 100 dollars to replace! is there anything else i can do?? Advise smb!

• Mi
    Michael B Sharp Nov 11, 2007

ditto here. The plastic covering on the screen cracked on day one. I have no idea how. It was never dropped or sat on. The electronic screen below it was soon to follow. I've never had an electronic device in this price range ($249.99 from t-mobile store) become unusable so quickly. Because of the cracked plastic screen cover, I didn't even bother trying to complain, since I figured the t-mobile store would claim I abused the thing. I had hoped that I could open it up and reset a faulty connector. Let it be known that the insides are not user friendly. Lots of pop rivets, no screws. I will not be giving Nokia another chance to take my money, and I would advise anyone reading this to stare clear of this model. The concept looked cool; the reality is frustration and anger. I really feel like I have been ripped off.

John J Mulvan Jr Nov 17, 2007

I upgraded to the Nokia 5300 back in March 2007 my initial handset performed well for 6 months then 1 day the display became unreadable so I got a replacement phone from T-Mobile and 3 weeks later the Lcd screen cracked overall I like the features on this phone so I just ordered a replacement Lcd screen off of Ebay but I must admit that I'm very disappointed with Nokia now that I've found that this issue is common among users without abnormal abuse of the phone!

John J Mulvan Jr Nov 23, 2007

Just wanted to update you folks if your unfortunate enough to crack your lcd screen on a Nokia 5300,6233,E50 or7370 it is pretty inexpensive and easy to install a replacement lcd screen for these models if anyone needs a service manual for Nokia 5300 just email me i'll send it to you

• Mg
    M.Guzman Nov 25, 2007

I am not going to elaborate too much since my story is almost identical. I was text messaging a friend, lay my phone on my desk. After 40 min. I decided to make a call and noticed a crack on the lower/left hand side. BUT I did noticed that when pressing the left side controls (above the keypad) the pressing of the buttons were creating pressure, just as when you put a finger on a laptop lcd. Which I thought it was unusual. In my case I had this phone replaced 3 times at no cost. But the screen will not be covered. I have found a replacement on eBay for about 3o (including shipping). I just hope it works out well.
    About buying another Nokia, it will be debatable or I will only buy it with insurance. But I think I will switch to the iPhone.

• Da
    Dan Dec 02, 2007

I had my phone not even a week....I was walkin thru my kitchen and not even an arms length from the rug that was in my kitchen that I was standing on did my phone fall onto that and the screen broke...A soft ### carpet and the thing broke...theres a diagonal line goin across the screen and its crap that the thing broke so easily...They should make these better and put a recall on these phones and give people who have them a better phone for the trouble they had to go thru....

• Ba
    Baron Kindle Dec 05, 2007

This is my third nokia 5300 and my last. All lcd screens have busted. Lets file a lawsuit.

• Ar
    Arnold Wilson Dec 13, 2007

I had my nokia 5300 for less than a month and when I pulled my phone out of my pocket to find that my screen was cracked.I couldn't beleive this my friend had the same problem 1 week before.I think nokia needs to do something about this situation.

• Sh
    shradha sharma Dec 13, 2007

My lcd screen has broken of nokia 5300.. do i have to pay something for it... its underwarranty its been 3 months dat i ve purchased this phone... Please help i dont want to pay anything!

• Te
    Tessa Drysdale Dec 17, 2007

Exact same thing here!!! Had my phone for a month, took it out of my purse to put it on silent, set it back in, and then took it out a second later to double check that it was actually on silent and my lcd was cracked on the lower left-hand side... Took it to T-Mobile and they refused me saying that it wasn't a manufacturers defect and so it's not under warranty. LAME! I agree with Baron... let's file a lawsuit.

john henderson Dec 18, 2007

Yes, I just put nokia 5300 in my pocket, its screen cracked, sucks, I don't how to do it, we can get replacement in ebay, but I am afraid it will be easy to crack again. I think Nokia should be responsible, they kid me? putting cellphone in pocket is abuse!! I agree with Baron and Tessa, let's file a lawsuit!!

Angela L Jan 12, 2008

My husband has had the same problem, but with Nokia 6555. He's had the phone 3 weeks, it was laying on the center console of our car (not touching anything) -- when he put it down, it was fine. About an hour later when he picked it up, the LCD screen was cracked on the inside. AT&T is refusing to replace it, and Nokia wants to charge us for the repair, claiming it's "out of warranty" due to customer damage. He didn't do anything abnormal with the phone -- just set it down for awhile!! Am really angry about this, and won't buy another Nokia

• Mr
    Mrs. Perales Jan 20, 2008

I purchased this same model cell phone for my son on 1/3/08. Four days later the phone was cracked on the inside of the screen. I'm glad to hear it's a defect on the phone, and not the carelessness of my 13 yrs. old. My son reassured me that he was switching from one classroom to another and had just used the phone few minutes earlier, then as he picked it up again it appeared cracked. Not sure what to do now since I didn't purchase warranty on it having all the confidence that since it's a new model phone, it would be under excellent condition. Just wanted to know that there's others with the same situation. As of yet, I haven't contacted the company, but as many of you have written in, it will be very difficult for the company to assume it's responsibility and replace this phone with one with better quality. Perhaps, a refund would be wishful thinking! Hope this helps others who are considering purchasing a Nokia 5300.

Sandra Jan 20, 2008

Same here the LCD cracked while sitting on the bed side table...Only had the phone for 6 days. The screen is really thin and the LCD seems to close the the main screen.

• Je
    Jennifer White Feb 05, 2008

My 2 kids each have this phone. Due to cracked screens we had 2 replacements sent. Now, guess what! The screens are cracked again!

Mark Feb 05, 2008

Yep, mine is at the repair center now with the same cracked screen everyone else has - I also have a brother and his wife a father in law and another relative all with the same cracked screens.

Then want me to pay 98 to have it fixed - no way - not gonna happen.

I am on the Nokia phone line now with a rep waiting for a manager - -I called over a month ago and they were going to call me back within 2 business days - never happened.

Nice elevator music.

Floor Supervisor Quanie on the line now - not too bright - won't fix it for free - and will not transfer me to anyone over her.

• Ci
    cimon Feb 23, 2008

Same here, and crack at same place, lower right corner, out of no reason, no dropping of phone, nothing, isn't ther a cheap replacement available ,30 bucks seems to be a lot, just took it few months back, wat's the best thing to do,new phone??

• Ci
    cimon Feb 23, 2008

Did anyone filed the lawsuit?

• Da
    Daniel Mar 15, 2008

dude my phne screen is cracked on the left
    its all the way up the middle its soooo gay
    plus now it takes exactly 14 minutes to turn it on

so dumb
    i hate nokia with a passion

Sachin Kudva Mar 16, 2008

Hi,
    I'm Sachin Kudva fron India Bangalore.
    My 5300 fell from a hieght of not even 15 cm and that too without any force and its screen smashed.
    and nothing was visible on the screen.
    i had to pay 2000 rupees to get a new screen.
    now again after two months of using the phone it was in my pocket and when i took it out one day the screen was again smashed.
    what a poor performance by a nokia phone.
    we all should get a cheap and durable replacement of the screen

• Pi
    Pinoy Apr 02, 2008

Ugg! I see a lot of people have the same problem -_-

I JUST got my phone 3 days ago and today it cracked. It was just in my pocket like everyone else and when I took it out, the screen was cracked from the top right all the way to the middle T_T. I have no idea how it got the crack, I dont remember dropping it, bumping to anyone, sitting on the phone, nothing. I actually thought it was my fault until I saw this site and saw similar problems D: The LCD is fine and everything works but the cracked screen makes it look like I abuse my things and I dont. I'm pretty responsible, and I'm even more careful with my things, especially things I purchase with my own money. Hopefully repairs for the screen will be minimal and I won't have to tell my parents that the screen is cracked. Otherwise, they'll probably think I'm irresponsible.

• Ku
    Kurt Apr 20, 2008

Same as everyone else, never dropped or damaged my phone, carried it in my pocket or shirt pocket. A month after I purchased it from T-Mobile, the screen cracked. I took it back to T-Mobile, they would not replace it, as it was damaged. Two months and lots of TLC later, the display is now virtually unusable. I did a little test when the screen was about one-third-gone. It appears that the bezel surrounding the screen is way too flexible. Just a little bit of pressure on the bezel will result in damage to the LCD. Surely this is a design error, and surely Nokia knew about it before they shipped these phones out. They do perform quality-assurance, don't they? If a class-action lawsuit is taken, sign me up! I've had great luck with Nokia phones in the past, but Nokia won't be getting my business anymore, and I have five phones on my account that I replace every year. I guess I'll buy a replacement screen and repair it myself. Here is a site that shows how to do it... http://www.formymobile.co.uk/Dismantle/5300disassembly.htm

• Je
    Jerry L. May 13, 2008

I carry my phone on the belt case.. I baby this thing. Next thing I know I pull it out to make a call and the lcd is busted. Go figure. No physical damage at all on my phone and this happens.. Looks like i'm not alone...

• Gr
    greg May 14, 2008

I am glad to find out that I am not alone. I dropped mine the first time around, so I was like hey, I dropped it, my fault, had insurance so they sent me a new one. The second time I was carrying it around in my pocket and took it out to make a call, just to find too large cracks going up the LCD screen. I can't even use it anymore because I can't see a damn thing. My cell phone provider was the same with me, "Sorry nothing we can do. How about this old 1999 refurbished phone that currently is sold on e-bay for $8.00? I have to either accept that or carry this one around for the next 2 years! I spent over a $100.00 plus costs of accessories, blue tooth ect. I am going to call back my provider and have it out with them. This is a manufacture flaw and we need to be reimbursed!

Pissed off in Dallas.

• Za
    Zach May 19, 2008

i just got my phone 4 days ago and the lcd doesn't work. it was just in my pocket and i didn't press it against anything. the plastic part is not even cracked or scratched. i did notice that when i press lightly on the right side of the screen where is says nokia the lines on the right side of the lcd move and change. by the way where the screen broke was on the lower right hand part of the screen. there is a black circle and a line through it. looks like a cat eye. i definately feel there should be a lawsuit or something, this is total bulls**t. i'm on hold now with letstalk to see if they'll replace it but i don't think they will. if anyone does figure anything out please email me.

• Ju
    JULIA May 19, 2008

go on ebay for $4.00 us you can get the front and back oen cover for this phone...

Annette May 22, 2008

I had my nokia 5300 for about three weeks and the protective cover had split and i never dropped it!! Then four weeks later; it was in my front pocket and began to ring and i took it out and the entire screen was just bright no writing. So i couldn't use the phone to call or do anything because i couldn't see. When the phone was free and I first got it; i was so happy. I thought it had great features and it was free! Well now i have to save up to buy a new phone because i can't get a discount for two years. At least, i know it wasnt my fault. - Annette

chelsea May 24, 2008

yea, i think its happening to all nokia 5300..

i pulled my out of my pocket an the screen was cracked =[

i havent taken it into repiar yet, as my sisters phone did the same,
    and she sent hers inot repiar 3weeks ago and still hasnt got it back =[

• Ju
    Julia May 31, 2008

I accidentily dropped my Nokia 5300 on an ottoman I have and the screen cracked in the lower right hand corner. Then just yesterday the electronic screen broke from just sitting inside my pocket and i can only see 1/3 of my screen now. I dont know what to do because I can't get another phone for 2 years and my dad will kill me if he found out its broken.

• Ke
    Kevin Jun 02, 2008

I have had a very similar problem, though in some ways I've been luckier than most it seems, that is to say, I had my phone for a year before the screen broke. I always keep my phone in a protective case on my belt. It only ever leaves the case when it's being used, or when it's charging.

One day I was biking to my friend's house and I pulled it out to look at it because the podcast I was listening to had stopped. At this point to phone was fine. I put it back into its case and biked the final 15 minutes to my friend's house. When I got there I pulled the phone out to check the time and the screen was cracked underneath. There was no other damage to the phone. I had not fallen, or bumped against anything and the phone had not been dropped.

My friend and I went immediately to a T-mobile dealer to see what we could do and he informed us that this was a common problem with that phone, and that we could probably get the warranty on it. He gave me the number and that night I called in. After being on hold for some time I got through to a representative who informed me that it was not on their list of known issues and that therefore the warranty was void.

Not content to let it rest at that, my dad and I went to the local T-mobile store the next day and brought up the issue with him (we also carried with us pages and pages of complaints about similar problems, some from this very board) and talked to the representative there. He'd never seen the problem before himself, but he didn't see any way I could have broken the screen since there was no other damage to the phone. He made a note of this on my account and this time in the store my dad called the warranty people. The warranty person my dad talked to said that they got a lot of calls in about this problem and were very familiar with it, but unfortunately there was nothing they could do because it was not on their list of known issues. They gave us the number for Nokia and we called them. They gave us the same resistance and finally told us to send in the phone and that their tech people would determine whether or not the warranty was void. Meanwhile, of course, I don't have a phone and this a big problem because I bike most everywhere I go and I need the phone in case of emergencies. My hopes aren't high.

• Fa
    farida Jun 07, 2008

WOW! isn't there an attorney in this lot who can help us file a lawsuit?? Well my teenaged daughter has this phone, she plugged it into the charger before going to bed and said she woke up to find it busted. Of course I assumed there was some accident that she was not owning up to. Since I did not purchase warranty with this phone from tmobile, I ended up spending 100 $ on ebay for another one. Low and Behold, one week later the same thing happened. Now im just going to get an lcd screen off ebay. I am glad to know that she has been honest, as well as there an explaination! THESE PHONE COMPANIES RIP US OFF LEFT RIGHT AND CENTER!!

jogendra singh Jul 11, 2008

I have purchesed nokia 5300 last October 2007, and after nine months my mobile 5300 lcd screen damaged atumatically after attend phone of my manager, in the office, today, date 11th july 2008,
    i am very oblige if nokia replace this mobile with high lcd screen.

if it will not done by nokia after that i will go to consumor court.

Jamie Jul 29, 2008

I had same problem with my Nokia 5300. Not wanting to pay $100 to Nokia to repair I looked into doing it myself.

After a bit of research I purchased my screen from http://www.RepairsUniverse.com. Screen was under $30, arrived quickly and they provided me fitting instructions. Was worried it would be hard to fit but took me under 10 minutes and was fairly straight forward. Since then my phones been good.

• St
    Stephali Jul 31, 2008

Hi all, I dont kno if anyone can supply some advice. This is however, not about a crack screen (which i hope i wont endure) but does anyone have a challenge with the slide (top) shifting to the left when a button is pressed on the right side? I'm a bit uncomfortable and seeking to take back this phone equally due to all the bad publicity circulating on the internet by distressed customers. Actually thinking of getting a Samsung J700 however not fond of the number button as it seems difficult to use especially for one with long nails. Any views?

• De
    deanne jones Aug 19, 2008

My poor daughter. Same thing happened to her. Just got her phone for her birthday and it has an internal crack. Took it to T Mobile and ended up calling corporate from the store, after 35 minutes on the phone I am unable to get them to replace without paying $100.00! Ironically, while onthe phone the T mobile guy hands me the same model with the same crack in the same place! T mobile corporate says they are unaware of any design flaws and that this is not a common complaint. Since they no longer sell this model in the store, I suspect they are covering up to same themselves a lot of money in replaced Nokias!

James J Nov 19, 2008

Walking around with my 5300 in my pocket, go to make a call and the screen is cracked. No impact, no fall. It wasn't even a cold day. There goes $100. I guess that's the cost of eduction about buying Nokia. Never trust a company that won't stand behind its products.

mark Nov 23, 2008

i had the same exact type of problem the plastic cover screen cracked in my bag that was full of soft P E cloths i didnt even drop the bag or anything it took it out and it had a crack on the top screen on the mid left hand side facing me

• Mn
    mn, Nov 28, 2008

omgg,
    yes, i HAVE been lucky at times,

once my cousin threw my phone across the kitchen,
    and NOTHING happened to it,
    MEH LUCKYYYYYY.

and then,
    it got smashed, nothing happened.
    and then a little vaccuum falls on it and BAMB.
    smashes in the corner, and gets a little black area.
    after a while, it began to spread, and now i can't see a THING.

• Sh
    Shannon Jan 22, 2009

Yes! My 5300 screen has also cracked on the lower right corner. I continued using for a couple of weeks and then the screen started going all spazzy (don't know how else to explain it) at times. I've also had another problem with this phone in the past. There would frequently be no signal all of a sudden, then I'd have to restart my phone and it would go back to normal. That happened more than 5 times a day for about a week. The problems just keep on coming!