Nexus Real Estate & BrokerageRental Apartments

R

DO NOT RENT FROM NEXUS

After living in a Nexus apartment for a year, I can easily say that this company is the worst company I've ever rented from. First of all, we were given a strict move-in date because they claimed that they needed time to clean from the previous tenant. We offered to move in a few days early and do the cleaning ourselves because then we would know that it actually got clean. They said no. Ok, fine. We waited until our move-in date, but when we arrived with the truck, the cleaning crew had JUST BEGUN cleaning. So much for taking a few weeks to make sure it was ready! The cleaning crew were awful and we got to witness it first hand while we were maneuvering around them with all of our belongings.

The apartment had several issues at the beginning. Some were handled in an appropriate amount of time (new/used fridge, smoke detectors were installed, etc.) Some they claimed to handle (leaky roof which caused a hole in the ceiling in the bedroom; the roof was "fixed" for about 3 weeks, they never repaired the hole). The kitchen sink leaked all over the kitchen floor. They fixed the pipes (which lasted a few months) but never fixed the kitchen tiles, which ultimately grew mold from the damage. The water pipes leading into the basement were rotted, but they claimed that our standing water issue was due to cracks in the foundation. They fixed the cracks, but the pipes still leaked and we still had water issues in the basement.

I also feel that it is important to explain that each time I would call them to discuss maintenance issues, I would receive the excuse "Sir, we have over 100 other properties and we just can't worry about every unit all the time." I had at least 3 different people that worked for the company use this excuse at some point and note that I was not asking for the world, I just wanted to not have to live in a mold-infested apartment or deal with rain water leaking into my bedroom at night. Dear Nexus, if you can't handle having over 100 properties, then don't keep buying properties.

Finally, it came time for us to get our deposit back. This is a frustrating ritual in every living situation, but we were smart this time and documented ALL of the issues when we moved in. I took close to 100 pictures of various concerns when we filled out our initial survey of the apartment, but they told me that they didn't have any use for those pictures. (Remember this for later) We moved out a month early because we couldn't wait to get out of there and it gave us a month to CLEAN the apartment so that it was better than it was when we moved in. Of course when the final survey came through, they docked us for BS reasons that had initially been documented (both in maintenance requests and pictures that they 'had no use for'). They cut our deposit in half, but we didn't get it until 3 months later and by that time the new tenant had been living in the apartment for 2 months. They originally gave me a list of items that I needed to produce for them to be able to finalize the end of our contract. I did everything on their list and it wasn't until 3 weeks later that they contacted me to tell me that there were more things I needed to produce. (I now realize that they probably just wanted to buy extra time for the new tenant to get moved in and settled).

This company is awful and will take your money without any regard for the quality of life that they claim to be protecting. STAY AWAY.

More Nexus Real Estate & Brokerage Complaints & Reviews