Morgan Propertieselmwood village apartments places false charges!

A

Eric,

I have been living in the Elmwood VIllage Aparments for 30 years and I just recently moved out. I recently received my Move Out Statement and received only $378 of my $1017 deposit. I was charged $300 for removal of furniture and $40 for 5 missing blinds, which I had never received. I removed my all furniture from the apartment as well as cleaned everything the day I moved out, which is why I don't understand how I was charged for "Removal of furniture." Also, I have lived in the apartments since 1980 and have never received blinds for my apartment. The blinds I had in my apartment were blinds that I had personally purchased myself. Furthermore, I was also charged an additional $300 for holes/hooks in the living room, which is ridiculous. I called the management office several times regarding things that needed to be fixed in my apartment, however, nothing was ever done regarding this matter. After 30 years, the only thing that they had fixed was my bathroom. Service is very poor and I rarely received a response when I called the office. The day I received my Move Out Statement, my daughter and I went to the Elmwood Village Apartment main office to speak with the manager. My daughter asked to see the manager and we were told to wait. The manager, himself, was standing right beside us knowing that we needed to be helped, however, he refused to acknowledge us. My daughter then asked him if he was the manager and he replied "yes." She told him that she needed to discuss an issue regarding out deposit. He told us to see Theresa, since she was the one who wrote the statement. My daughter questioned the Elmwood Village Apartments Manager about why we were charged $40 for missing blinds that we never received and he rudely replied, "Well, I don't know that. What proof do you have that you didn't get blinds." My daughter told him that we have been living there for 30 years, yet he refused to listen to what we had to say and shrugged his shoulders. He then took us to the secretary and told her, "Well, these people think they should be getting more money then they got." I told secretary that we never receive blinds, we removed all our furniture, etc. The manager then interrupted, once again saying, " What proof you got." Then my daughter said that is not fair, what proof do I need, I'm telling you I never receivd blinds. The manager then threw my statement on the desk and told my daughter and I to go to court. He then told secretary, "don't talk to these people" and then walked out of the room. We tried reasoning with secretary and she was also very rude in saying, "Well you heard the man, get out." My daughter and I have never been this rudely spoken to and disrespected. It was very humiliating to walk out of the office. There was no one that was willing to listen to us or even reason with us. The Elmwood Park Village Apartments manager was extremely rude and disrespectful to my daughter and I. He billed me with unnecessary charges and i would like to talk to you regarding this issue. I would never expect a Morgan Properties employee to be so rude and unprofessional. As a Morgan Properties employee he represents their company, and his rude attitute and behavior is giving that company a bad reputation. I spoke with an employee from the Morgan Properties Home Office and she informed me that no employee from Morgan Properties should ever speak in that manner.

• Se
    Seshat Aug 26, 2011

You did the right thing by going to the company that owns or manages the apartments. Most landlords are happy to have long-term tenants and don't subtract petty charges (like the blinds) from your move-out refund. They also understand that after 30 yrs, minor repairs like picture holes in the wall are expected, & not expensive to fix. Precisely what "furniture" was supposedly removed should have been put in writing. If this problem has not yet been resolved, you need to put your case in writing and send it to Morgan Properties. However, there is nothing you can do about the rude manager except to let Morgan know how he behaved.