Modern Beauty Salonfacial package

B Review updated:

I am a customer at one of the Modern Beauty outlet in Uptown, Damansara Utama since late 2013, reason being it was very close to my home and I could easily swing by for my appointments over the weekend, at the convenience of ample car park as Damansara Uptown is forever congested during weekdays. In July 2015, the sales person had introduced me to an attractive beauty package with great deal. Considering that my package was ending pretty soon, I had signed up for it and it was worth RM10, 000 via 12 months installment which comes with 80 sessions of facial or massage (RM125 per session so why not right?). In September 2015, I received a phone call from Modern Beauty that the outlet in Uptown was closed down and i will have to be transferred to another outlet in MidValley. It was very disappointing that the change in location was not brought up to my attention at the point that I sign up for the package in July. When I visited the outlet in Uptown on the same day that I received the call, to my surprise, the outlet was almost cleared and being touched up nicely. This cannot be a work that was done within a short period and I am pretty sure that the employees were well informed of the transfer way ahead. Nevertheless, I have informed the staff that it will be not possible for me to continuously follow up with my facial session in MidValley due to the location and my tight working schedule that requires me to travel outstation quite often. I specifically told them that it can be well proven through my record during my period with them since year 2013. Despite Damansara Uptown was very near to my house, i had to make time to come for the facial session. It was already a challenge for me to make it to Damansara Uptown and now that I will need to travel to Midvalley, i doubt that i will be able to utilise it. As much as I would love to continue coming to the beauty salon, I really was not able to make it to MidValley due to the inconvenience in location. Due to the above reasons, I have requested to terminate the RM10, 000 package that I have just signed up two months ago. This message was being conveyed to your staff and i was promised to receive an update on the procedure to terminating the package in the following week. I waited for three weeks and there was not a single follow up calls on this matter. When i finally managed to reach out to the company again, i was then told that there was no such thing as a refund policy and I will have to be forced to purchase their product. HELLO, it's RM10, 000 and how on earth that I will be able to purchase so much of your products?!?!?! It is totally unfair to us as a consumer when fault was not at our end. The staff literally kept silent on the closing down of the outlet upon the sales of package. I totally agree with another complaint on this board (on Modern Beauty) that the staffs are really "hungry" over sales. Once you have signed up anything with them, you are being neglected. Literally. To date, 2 months had passed and I have yet to hear anything from their management. It was very disappointing that they have such terrible service. I am writing this here to bring awareness to consumers who are keen to sign up for any package with Modern Beauty, do take note on the implications subsequently.

• Be
    Bee Ling Oct 27, 2015

Oh ya! Not forgetting that they continued to charge the monthly installment payment to my credit card without coming back to me on the termination request. WELL DONE modern beauty for digging up your customer's money, in such an unethical manner!!

• Ku
    Kuaci Oct 30, 2015

You go lodge a claim to get back the unused portion of RM10, 000 via consumer tribunal. Pretty easy, cheap and efficient.

• Be
    bernicelim Dec 27, 2015

I am another victim, i also asked to purchase new treatment in july Without telling about their plan to close the Damansara Utama salon. There is no calls from the salon to inform on their closure until i dropped by the salon after several phone calls in no avail.
    I am helpless and asked to write to their customer service email but no representative from the company care to reply or call me to discuss on the matter. I have few thousands balance of treatments to claim from them...

• 87
    87 Sunflower Feb 20, 2016

I am in disbelieve with Modern Beauty for their unprofessional ways of doing business. I have decided to refund all my monies through consumer tribunal.
    I have many unhappy incidents with Modern beauty and I can list them all here! I hope this article and our complaints will bring more awareness to the public too!
    1) I booked appointment 2 months in advance and was last minute canceled for no solid reason (few times already!!)
    2) Poor skills, painful extraction of blackheads and pimples causing redness / wound of skin for weeks
    3) I was doing facial halfway lying down, the sales person keep hard sales other products and ask me top up money to add on treatment. When I refuse, they wouldnt give up. usually 2 ppl will gang up to do talking. then i finally gave in to try the new treatment, the consultant tell me i have to pay the money first for them to do treatment on me. FYI i was lying down already doing my facial, so i tell them to forget about it . Magically, the consultant tells me that they manage to convince their "boss" to let me do facial first and pay after my facial. What the hell?! Dont make any sense to me at all.
    4) I bought facial package with some add on on the treatment. when i make booking on the phone, I told them specifically i want to do facial + treatment. But when i go to do facial, the consultants will tell me that the time only enough for facial without treatment. (this happens few times already)
    5) there is no standard of facial pricing and all facial only sells in package of mininum 10 times with condition to finish all of them within one year (if time has lapse, u need to purchase something from their salon in order to retrieve the remaining faical u have bought! This sounds like a daylight robbery to me because i have paid money in full and in advance but still need to follow conditions like this?! they will only tell you after u have sign your credit card)

I bought my first 10 session package in year 2012. At first i thought want to finish my package and stop going to modern beauty after that but i realise i will not able to finish my package with them because they will not "give up" on you if they realise your package is getting lesser. It's so unbearable that i finally decide that I had enough this year.

• Vi
    Vivian Khow Jul 31, 2016

Halo all, i am another victim here. i just noticed that the shop closed down in this few days. i was shocking as i did not receive any notice from them.
    May i know how did the claims that you all have done? Able to get back? Now i am doing the complaint to their management thru email to ask for refund too.

• 87
    87 Sunflower Aug 06, 2016

Keep the letter as a proof. You will need to go through consumer tribunal and show them the proof and original receipts. I got almost all my monies back. You may email me at [email protected]

janjan88 Jan 14, 2019

me too I'm customer of modern beauty midvally...last time manager told me package with no expiry, on november 2018 force me sign the 6 mths extend if I not upgrade old package

now my package left 20 times and expire on 19/5/19, but manager Gigi and Vicky don't allow I make advance appointment from January, feb, March, April, may, every Monday 5pm
    they say appointment only can confirm
    by month end, month end say no slot!! ..she say appoitment only reserve for customer come once a month, they all choose customer to make appointment! one month come 3 times cant !!

cheap money shop!!

• Ca
    Candice Ng Jan 16, 2020

I ask one of the victim here. Before sign package pretty story, after signed the packages another service n treatment. Beautician always ask you to buy new facial and told me my current facial is too old.
    Yesterday did my facial complex, the electric tool really shocked on me and I complained too pain. And she just skip this process and apply facial mask only then done on whole process. I ask her why can’t use hand to replace the tool. And she said we can’t do other way and we only can follow the facial type u purchased. Beauticians still want to push me to buy the new facial and tell me other machine more kind and won’t get me pain. Sigh

• Bt
    B Ting Jul 03, 2020

I'm another victim of Modern Beauty. I signed up package since 2008, & since then they keep pushing for more new packages while u r still lying down having your facial done. Once my face was fully covered with mask & I could not respond, the beautician walked away muttering that I m being rude!
    Till today I still have packages with them. I tried calling them in June 2020 to check what will happen o my packages with the MCO as I was earlier told mine would expire in Aug 2020. The lady on the other line was so rude, tod me don't know & bang down the phone.
    I thought facial salons would hv been allowed to open by 1 July 2020, so I hv been trying to call them last 3 days but no one is picking up the calls! Are they closed for good, without informing customers, like they did when they wrapped up their branch in Damansara Uptown? Anybody knows?