Menu
Mobile Telephone Networks [MTN] South Africa
reviews & complaints

Mobile Telephone Networks [MTN] South Africa
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

433 complaints
116 resolved 317 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Mobile Telephone Networks [MTN] South Africa. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
C
7:34 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have just posted the text below on social media... Charlatons, fraudsters, liers, thieves- a few words that could be used to describe MTN South Africa, a company that is utterly corrupt.The only way to ever get MTN to right it's wrongs is to complain on Hellopeter and Facebook-you are welcome to look at my previous complaints on these sites to see how...

M
3:03 am EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Mobile Telephone Networks [MTN] South Africa - Refund not Processed and Debit Order still On-going

I called through to MTN customer service and spoke with a consultant regarding my refund. I asked, "why am I being charged for something I don't have?" and she answered with a detailed explanation and advised that I should go to MTN Maponya Mall where I had applied for a contract phone.

MTN has been debiting my account for almost 5 months for an Oppo contract phone. I returned it next day after purchase, not knowing it was something I did not want. So, I went to the store and explained that I don't mind paying extra fees for cancellation or I could take another device at a higher cost, preferably an iPhone. They accepted the handset with no damage to it and advised that the contract will be cancelled. I only realized after 3 months that I had been paying for a phone and benefits I don't have access to... A few weeks later, I went to MTN Southgate to apply for another contract phone and the process was quick and successful.

So, I went to MTN at Maponya Mall (where the contract was initiated to get assistance regarding my refund and things turned out very bad. The staff member who was assisting me did not have a name tag and told me that they won't refund me and I have to go to MTN Southgate to the consultant who initially helped me with the contact application. I refused and asked to see a store manager. She came and asked a few questions regarding my complaint, then another consultant came to tell the 'manager' that she must assist a woman who was behind me in the queue, then left without saying anything.

I stood there for a few minutes with no answers and I asked politely. "Is that woman's query or complaint more important than mine?" He answered. "Just wait for the manager, she will attend to you shortly. That woman came before you." I disputed and told him that the woman came after me. Then he got offended and threatened that He Will Slap Me.

It was a joke to his colleagues when he threatened me as they were laughing and his female colleague came by to ask what was happening. When I tried to explain to her, she did not listen to me but rather gave her colleague a chance to talk. Then she said, "I don't support that a customer is always right" when I didn't even get a chance to explain." Then she avoided the issue with her colleague threatening to slap me and called a guy called Garnet to ask about my issue with the phone that was returned, and there was no resolution. I left the store immediately.

No one was able to handle the situation better at the store because it seemed as if they were protecting each other

NB: I have an active contract with MTN and I am being charged for another contract I don't have benefits for.

Desired outcome: I want my refund

8:46 am EST

Mobile Telephone Networks [MTN] South Africa - Failure to cancel my contract for more than a year

I received a phone call on the 9th of Oct 2020 to upgrade my phone to a Huawei P40 and a dongle. I received both on the 15th and on the 17th I returned said phone to MTN Centurion (thus within the 10 day return period) and received the cancellation sms on the 19th. In Nov and Dec 2020 I was billed for all my accounts includung the one I cancelled. In Jan my debit order bounced... I did not have said amount because I did not have the cancelled amount included.

After various complaint in Jan, Feb and Mar 2021. They then stopped. After upgrading again with my ling standing contract they again started deducting the cancelled amount.

I am furious that more than a year later I have been paying for this phone. The amount over this time uas accumulated to R 5 508-00 give or take. This is unacceptable. I am fed up and I'm considering cancelling all my contracts with MTN with whom I have been a client for, for more than 13 year!

Desired outcome: To the contract cancelled

D
5:01 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Mobile Telephone Networks [MTN] South Africa - MTN and courier delivers phone to random person while I'm in hospital

Automated Response - Enquiry Reference Number 5555367

Thank you for getting in touch with our Complaints Management Team. Having trouble resolving your query? You have come to the right place!

The "enquiry reference number" above has been created to ensure ease when following up on your complaint.

*We typically respond within 24 business hours (Our teams are online from Monday to Friday, 8am until 5pm, Saturday 8am until 2pm) *

Rest assured: We are committed to resolving your complaint and our processes are aligned to requirements stipulated by the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA)

Chat to you soon,

MTN Complaints Management

They send this above email in response when I emailed complaints at MTN no reply no answer

Good day

My name is Dominique Aurlynn Field.

So in 2019 october i lost my job i was working on contract anyway in 2019 . I was already over indebted at the time due to reckless lending.

I was offered a mtn samsung. When the phone was delivered i was in psychiatric ward in Joburg Jen for the whole December and January and my id was stolen at that time. So even me myself i could not have signed for the phone due to rica laws and fica.

So if i was in hospital who did they deliver the phone to. Is it not the rules that i must have my id copy of my I'd and proof of residence when the courier delivers the phone.?

I have not seen the phone with my eyes but its on my credit profile that i received the phone.

No ways im not leaving MTN this time.

I want the phone for free and nothing to be charged on my name as its not my recklessness and the courier company should also be sued how can they just drop the phone off to anyone its against the law.

I hope to hear from you soon.
Ms Da field

Desired outcome: I want them to investigate who they delivered the phone to how can they just deliver a phone for anyone , I want a phone on that range for free and I want to sue MTN and courier they not following the laws

K
3:26 am EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Mobile Telephone Networks [MTN] South Africa - MTN - trying to get hold of them to close an account A0475557

After numerous ignored complaints of adding fraudulent charges to my phone which I'm not using for calls or to send messages while out of South Africa in Taiwan, I'm now trying to cancel my contract with them. I sent notice of my intent last week - sent a notice of cancellation on Friday before their business hours and got a reply to contact the Retentions department (Mondays - Fridays) at 4 minutes before the end of the business day. Getting hold of them seems to be impossible and they're ignoring emails.

Desired outcome: Close the account

A
2:26 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

How can I reactivate my mtn share after being disabled

K
11:40 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Good day, herewith I want to put my anger into words. We are staying in a small town in the Karoo, CALVINIA, and trying to run a Security business here. Using MTN for my communication to my control room, but these days everytime it is loadshedding the signal dies with the power, don't know who to blame, but what the problem is this is causing big concern...

G
11:31 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I purchased router and with data on contract in February 2021 at MTN Northgate inside the Mall. This router only worked for a 2 months. I took it back to Northgate mall MTN for repairs or exchange. I was told router will be sent for repairs it is an OBF, which was suprising since router was over a month old, it was brought back to be booked again, this wa...

E
4:07 pm EDT

Mobile Telephone Networks [MTN] South Africa - MTN contract upgrades

Good evening

After taking the time to go into your MTN shop in Nigel, contacting Mondo on previous calls as well as following up today, NOTHING happened, NO feedback, NO calls from any of your MTN of Mondo staff

I think I've tried everything from my side, now all that's left is to put my complaint forward to the consumer ombudsman if you don't solve this by tomorrow

Elsabè
[protected]
[protected] (w)

4:53 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I took out a data contract in April 2020 it has not worked I sent through a cancelation letter nothing was done about it the account just kept adding and ended up itc listing me. Now I try to cancel and can't pay as no one knows what's going on.

I
10:30 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

SE BASSON - Telephone Number: [protected] PRODUCT CODE: ZTE MF927U LTE CAT4 Ufi WHITE CT [protected] I received a telephone call from MTN approximately in January 2021 offering me an internet service with a router. Everything sounded fine to me and I decided to take their offer up. They also confirmed that if I am not happy with the product I may...

J
8:58 am EDT

Mobile Telephone Networks [MTN] South Africa - Mtn

I am complaining about service of Mtn. I am Mangope Digoro, having a contract with Mtn which has been expired on month end of July and the are busy deducting my money from my bank and I have been trying to call them in order to cancel the contract but I ma not assisted. I have also visited their stores at Polokwane however I was told that they can assist me with the cancelation and cancelation can be done through the phone by calling customer service center but I am not assisted and I am suffering fanacialy as result of their action. My contract number is [protected] and the last time I called them it was 2day and I was given ref no. [protected] and I have been on the phone for about three hours waiting for the consultant to answer the phone and I am of the view that they are doing it delepretly. How can one hold for three hours and they are busy deducting my money on monthly basis.

Desired outcome: Mtn not answering their calls

G
6:56 am EDT

Mobile Telephone Networks [MTN] South Africa - Service

On 18th August 2021 I visited MTN store at Fourways Mall. I wanted a 40GB month to month contract. It took me more than four hours to sign up, thru nothing less than sheer incompetence. I was made to pay R329.68 which was pro rata for the balance of August up to the end of September 2021. I was also made to pay R150 for a sim card. A week later I told MTN that I wished to cancel the contract as at 30th September, I was given a reference number. On 6th September MTN debited my account with R259.00, luckily I managed to reverse the debit order on 9th September. On 10th September MTN cut off my data which I had paid for up until 30th September 2021. Please be warned about doing business and entering into contracts with MTN.
George

Desired outcome: Re-instate my data for another 20 days

Z
3:22 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Please beware After years of paying insurance on my contract phone I had to claim end of July Filled in their forms and send hundreds of mail answering their stupid questions Till today still no feedback or call regarding the progress Very poor service Zelmari Jacobs [protected] zelmari.[protected]@jumbo.co.za

7:58 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

In July I noticed that my airtime and data were disappearing and have been trying to get to the bottom of it since early August (ref #5254837). I have made countless phone calls to different MTN helpline numbers, been into branches multiple times and have a long string of backwards and forwards emails. I have yet to come across an MTN employee who i...

6:02 am EDT

Mobile Telephone Networks [MTN] South Africa - Airtime purchased via fnb online banking vanished

Thursday, 02 September 2021
MTN - PHONE [protected]
I have a serious complaint… following is a screenshot from my bank statement indicating that I have spent R130.00 on airtime - purchased:- august:- 4th [R30.00] 10th [R50.00] & 30th R50.00].
I very seldom make phone calls - and my phone uses data from my MWEB internet connection. It always has.
However - yesterday I wanted to make a call to an MTN phone [[protected]] - and there was no airtime! So I've had to use my landline…
What's going on? I want to be credited with these amounts as airtime!
[protected]@gmail.com
landline [protected]

Desired outcome: REIMBURSE AIRTIME - AS DESCRIBED/

J
2:23 am EDT

Mobile Telephone Networks [MTN] South Africa - Contract

Have a contract of 30 gig day and 30 gig night with MTN. Last year from August till to date they're giving me 10 gigs per day, so it's not the agreement I had with them. I've called several times been taken from pillar to post. And thereafter they've started to put other extra 20gig night instead of putting them during the day. My contract number is [protected].

Desired outcome: That I get back all the outstanding gigs they owe me as I was paying for it.

M
7:13 am EDT

Mobile Telephone Networks [MTN] South Africa - Billing Error that let to the cancellation of my account

My account was suspended in September 2020 due to MTN's billing error. MTN was messing my bank account with huge debit orders that I couldn't afford. I reverse the debit orders and made cash payments. I called the provider several times and even went to its branches to query their billing with no success. I even wrote an email to their complaints department who promised to respond within a certain period but never did. I continue making payments until October 2020 even though my account was suspended. I had one contract that expired in August 2020 and I had given notice that I will not be renewing the contract because of this debacle. When I enquired if the contract had been changed to pre-paid I was told that because I still owe them 28000, I cannot cancel the contract. I took the matter to consumer council and after a few weeks, I was informed that MTN has not responded. I then contacted the Consumer Goods & Services Ombudsman and still waiting for MTN's investigation to be concluded.

Desired outcome: My credit rating to be cleared and the amount I’m told I owe to be set aside.

S
9:10 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Mobile Telephone Networks [MTN] South Africa - Overcharged contract and outdated device !!!

In September 2020 we signed a contract for a MacBook Air with data for R699. It was a special that was advertised. We got a MacBook that was outdated and couldn't even do anything on it. We returned it ASAP. And requested the contract be cancelled. It's august 2021 and my account is being charged with R950 monthly for somethn we didn't even use. And I'm not paying because we wanted the contract to be cancelled. Now on my statement they claim that I owe R10 000 and I've been blacklisted because of MTNs greed and inconsideration. I can't wait to cancel each and every contract on my name at MTN. This is disgusting. I've called in so many times only to be told it's Been escalated. Emailed so many people
No luck. MTN should be ashamed of themselves.

Desired outcome: Want contract cancelled and money credited

N
8:58 am EDT

Mobile Telephone Networks [MTN] South Africa - Data contract

It has been more than a month that ive been waiting for my two data contract. They have me on the system and everyday their is a long story but no outcome.

Sales person helped me is Thabo Bronkhorstpruit MTN.

Please can you be able to assist because it costing unnecessary trouble

Nic

Website

www.mtn.co.za

Most discussed Mobile Telephone Networks [MTN] South Africa complaints

Renew a contract
(opinions to this review)
i'm running out of patience
(opinions to this review)