Menu

Mitchum review: crumbling mitchum

Author of the complaint
8:50 am EDT
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My mitchum smart solid unscented crumbled half way through usage twice in 2 times I have used it. Thats 100% failure rate! What ever happened to the original unscented solid. Revlon... I am very unhappy!

40 comments
Jun 09, 2018 1:23 am EDT

I agree with all of you, the "smart solid" is not so smart, it crumbles, breaks off, after using, maybe half. The old solid worked great for me. The gel is horrible, takes forever to dry and does not seem as effective. And, really, what's with manufacturers thinking deodorants need to be scented? Something to conflict with the cologne one wears? I can't use scented deodorant! I've called the company before about the crumbling...and can't find the unscented now!

Jun 28, 2017 4:17 am EDT

New formula sucks. I agree with everyone! I'm freaking out bc I've bought everything on the shelf and it all sucks too. Epic fail mitchum. Just give he our product back!

B
May 14, 2017 9:22 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Oh boy! Wish I had checked out these comments before I bought the Mitchum SmartSolid Clinical Performance unscented deodorants! First one crumbled, took it back and thast when I bought 2 more cause they were on sale! They have all crumbled! I loved the old Mitchum unscented solids. Why discontinue a good thing for this crap! Still trying to find something I like as well. HATE those sticky gels or the stinky scented products! AGH! Will NEVER trust Mitchum again!

Oct 02, 2016 8:25 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I bought two of the Mitchum SmartSolid Clinical Performance unscented deodorant. I don't like scented deodorant and I can't often find unscented women's deodorant. I like the gel but found it leaked (mostly inside the cap, thank goodness) when I traveled. I will never buy Mitchum smartsolid again. I will go back to the gel and hope for the best. I was a happy long term customer before this recent experience!

A
May 03, 2016 1:08 pm EDT

i have found the exact thing others are posting, i thought it was my travel usage, but have tossed out two, on my third (silly me), and while i love it more than others i have found, to pay over $4 and toss more than half is wasteful and expensive. wished they would get it right. disappointed.

A
Oct 26, 2015 9:58 am EDT

I just spoke to Mitchum and discovered the following: Firstly, the old product is still available at Wegmans and CVS if you are in the Buffalo, NY area. The NEW product is called MITCHUM ADVANCED CONTROL INVISIBLE SOLID. THE OLD PRODUCT IS CALLED MITCHUM SMARTSOLID CLINICAL PERFORMANCE. The active ingredient in BOTH is 20% Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex. THE DIFFERENCE? The old product was water-based and the new product is WAX BASED (Yuk!). Frankly I rarely had trouble with crumbling but in a water based product I can see how it might happen if not transported and/or stored properly at low temperatures. The water freezes, producing hairline cracks in the stick! Or it gets stored in a hot warehouse and the water content dries. Not so with the wax. The old product is no longer available in Canada... only at CVS and Wegman's in the Buffalo area... and other stores across the USA. It is, they say, NOT discontinued. Beware of old product that will have the water content diminished and/or product that has been stored or transported improperly. I would definitely avoid any retailer or online marketer that might mishandle the product as well... don't know why this issue has "just" arisen. I have had it happen a few times but that's over a 25+ year period. And frankly, it works so well that I would gladly put up with the issue. The old product never stained my clothes and washed out perfectly. The new product wants lots of hot water and soap to be removed during the wash - probably due to the wax base? Anyway, that's the story as I have it at this time. We are 1.5 hours from Buffalo, NY and living in Canada so the next trip to Buffalo will have an entire case of the stuff set aside for us maybe... at least a dozen sticks to bring home anyway.

Aug 16, 2015 12:22 pm EDT

I have had crumbling and I do not like how when pulling off the cap, sucction pulls a glob and shoots out all over the place. Did they really not test this? Such a waste and not a happy way to start anyone's morning with gel all over your shirt/shoes/floor!

Mar 18, 2014 9:17 am EDT

P.S. haven't used the new formula for long so it appears from your comments that the new formula stains.

Mar 18, 2014 9:11 am EDT

Why are you people using the solid. The power gel is the best especially if you can pick up the old formula. Mitchum now has a so-called advance formula. I called Mitchum and asked them why on earth they would change their old formula because it was 100% effective. They assured me that the ingredients are the same. I have Mitchum for decades but never tried the solid. The gel does not stain clothing. Just put it on before bed...in time, you will find that you don't even need deodoranrt for awhile - that is how effective this product is.

P
Sep 07, 2013 1:26 pm EDT

I can beat the 30-plus years of use of Mitchum mentioned here. My grandmother showed me the roll-on or dab-on liquid version in the 1960s, and I started using it then. When that version was discontinued after many years, I moved on to the next version, and so on. I liked the gel (unscented) for many years until recently. (My sensitive skin just can't handle the scented varieties.) I never had any problem with effectiveness or staining until the last several months or more. Before, I could skip a day without any problem, just as my grandmother had told me. Now that's not possible; sometimes it doesn't even last all of one day. But a bigger problem to me is the staining! I am going through Spray-n-Wash like there's no tomorrow! Between Mitchum and any sunscreen, the stains are a big problem. Today I had to wash a shirt that had been "lost" for a long time. The sunscreen stains were still there, but the underarm stains were not -- just like old times. I was assuming there had been a formula change, but that proved it to me. I am now looking for an alternative. Some company would be very smart to buy the old formula and start selling it! I will keep a watch on this site in case anyone does find something like that.

K
Aug 10, 2013 3:45 pm EDT

I have been purchasing the mens unscented solid for many years. The last approx. 5 units have crumbled each time. I had purchased a few on sale, so I first thought that maybe it was just a bad batch. The next few purchases were difference times and differents stores, but same crumbling result. It is absolutely frustrating when you are applying and before you realize that a hunk has fallen, you scrape yourself! PLEASE change back to the old formula. I would hate to have to search for another product.

Jul 03, 2013 7:05 am EDT

Didn't know the problem was this widespread! My experience has been the same. But it wasn't always crumbling. It started about a year ago. I've called the company [protected]) and they are sending out more for me to try. I told them I would call back if it didn't work. I hope it does. I really do like Mitchum. What ever happened to the original unscented?

F
Jan 17, 2013 9:57 am EST

Well, after reading most of these comments, I find that my complaint is well in line with many others. I, too, have used Mitchum SmartSolid, Clinical Performance for a LONG time. I love the product. Starting about 6 months ago, EVERY SINGLE CONTAINER has crumbled on me. At first I thought it was me, maybe I had too much rolled out. Then I thought, maybe it was just a defective container.

Every single container I've bought since June 2012 has crumbled.

It's time to find a new antiperspirant. Enough.

Dec 31, 2012 12:27 am EST

I am freaked out. I have been using the original unscented solid for over 30 years and can't find any other product that is effective and comfortable. I need my Mitchum's back. Please bring back the old formula. It is the perfect formula - so if anyone finds something else that comes close please post and let me know! I can't believe a company would change what was obviously working for so many of us... so many horrible new versions...slimy and uncomfortable. What a shame ... so many things change but this is going too far - this is personal with no alternatives. so sad and disappointed in Revlon. I say we boycott all revlon products cause they don't care...

T
Apr 04, 2012 5:23 am EDT

WOW! I had no idea there were so many complaints about this product. I too have found it to crumble and also has lost it's effectiveness for me. I have to add baby powder after application and take the powder with me during the day.

Nov 10, 2011 4:31 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I agree with the majority of the complaints! I'm disappointed that the old formula was discontinued. I'm disappointed with the new Smart Solid product. I also bought two, thinking the first was defective. I too had trouble getting the cap off the new product. I too had my product crumble upon first use! A huge section just fell off. I tired many things, not exposing too much of the solid, gliding it on very slowly and only going in one direction; to no avail. It continues to crumble. And it doesn't last all day. I used to be able to rely on Mitchum to keep me dry and odor free. I hear the same complaint from family members that I recommended (in the past) Mitchum. I plan to contact their customer service for refunds on both. I feel better that my concerns have been validated, but at a loss as to what to switch to! I have used and trusted Mitchum most of my adult life!

Aug 11, 2011 6:55 pm EDT

I too have used the Mitchum deoderant products for years and found that it is really the only deoderant that has worked for me. I unfortunately will not be purchasing any more of Mitchum's products. The last 2 I purchased is a waste of my money as I have had to through both out as they both crumbled and broke off no matter how I tried to peice them back together. So I gave the first one the benefit and figured it was just faulty but now the same thing has happened again. Well now it is time for me to hunt down a product that will work for me and I won't be throwing my money away. Call me "disatisfied".

May 04, 2011 12:38 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have been using Mitchum Smart Solid and love it. But the last 2 I bought everytime I put it on chunks fall out and its a waste I am very upset about this. Please help

Apr 02, 2011 8:33 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

hi folks... i just wanted to know what is the old version of mitchum looks like... is it more effevctive than the new ones? thanks...

H
Mar 28, 2011 9:30 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Used the clinical and solid by Mitchum. Both leave stains on the t-shirt, when pulling it on. The Clinical is crumbling after only having used it about six times. Was a loyal Mitchum user, What happened?
Dirk

Mar 21, 2011 5:51 pm EDT

Just got off the Chat with someone at Revlon (she was nice - I'll say that) - and will chime in here about my discouragement now too over the change in what was, for me, a wonderful product. I found I'm allergic to their new gel versions - and now understand that the "old" formula that we're all talking about has indeed been discontinued. To say I'm a little heart-sick at losing yet another reliable stand-by in my world is to put it too mildly. On the half chance that anybody at Revlon ever finds this thread - I'll add my support to the request that the old formula is by far the most desirable! When my current stash of the old product runs out, I'll be looking elsewhere - unless or until we publically hear that they've seen the light and are offering it again. Thanks!

Mar 16, 2011 11:38 pm EDT

Bring back the original Mitchum please! I tried the different mitchums and the best is the original unscented. The smart solid is sticky. Rather than throw it away I'm using it and following it with baby powder so I don't feel like I have Elmer's glue stick under my arms. I didn't know it was being phased out. If I had I would have purchased a supply. As it was I was buying 6 to 10 at a time from Drugstore.com because I could not reliably find it when I needed it. Now they are out.

Which genius at the company made the decision to discontinue the product?

Jan 16, 2011 5:30 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

REVLON! IS anyone listening, there? The old product was PERFECT! Bring it BACK!

Jan 16, 2011 5:28 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I am one VERY unhappy 30 year loyal buyer of teh old Solid. Give up folks. Sadly, Revlon took them over and D/C 'ed the old version; they are obviously less concerned about quality than profit margin. I tried and HATED the crumbly power solid too, and the gel is STICKY; YUK! I won't be buying EITHER of them. Once burned, twice shy/Twice burned, OVER it!

You can still get the Old Mitchum Solid on amazon, BUT probably not for long, as it was likely an "Unload" ~~ Good Luck!

3/$10.95 + shipping...

Sep 16, 2010 5:55 pm EDT

I have the Mitchum Smart Solid unscented and it just crumbles and crumbles. i had bought 3, and used two of them...both have crumbled. all over the floor and onto my clothes..it's aweful. and the worst part is, it doesn't seem to be even working as a deodorant!

Aug 17, 2010 12:09 am EDT

I loved Mitchum women's solid in the powder scent. Not too strong a scent (I'm very scent sensitive) and worked great. However, when it got harder and harder to find, I tried the SmartSolid. As all of the others before me have posted, I got half way down and it started crumbling and it caked when I put it on. Didn't dry very fast either. I agree that this is not the best way to do business. If you have a great product, why change it? I wish they would bring back the old solid.

Feb 18, 2010 9:36 am EST

First let me start by saying I love the smell of the Mitchum Smart Solid Rosepetal but WOW can it be made more horribly!?! The very first use it great then from there its all downhill. Maybe I'm strange but I like using deordorant every day (lol) and not able to that with his product, I had to leave the house early and stop at the drug store to get another product because my "smart solid" is in pieces on the floor. what's the deal!?! Some of these post are very very old and still the product is being sold as a crappy mess, do they not listen to the people that are buying their product? NOT GOOD BUSINESS PRACTICE MITHUM REPS. I thought the first time I purchased the "smart solid" and it fell apart that maybe it was a fluck so I bought another one and the same thing happened so now I learned my lesson and will go back to using Secret.

E
Feb 18, 2010 7:56 am EST

I've used Mitchum solid for women for 15 years. In the last few years the product, inappropriately named "smart solid" has crumbled after the second use and each subsequent use, does not protect nearly as strong as it did before, stains clothing and is overall a much poorer product. The crumbling is really what sent me to search for a new deodorant/anti-perspirant. Mitchum - you should have stuck with the formula that worked! - Elena

Nov 04, 2009 12:45 pm EST

I decided last night that I was going to write to Revlon and complain. I used Mitchum solid for years, it was my favorite deodorant because I did not have to use it everyday. About two years ago I bought the Mitchum Smart Solid for Women and was frustrated when less than half way through it, a huge chunk broke off leaving little left. I threw it away and purchased other brands.
A couple months ago, I decided to try it again thinking it must have been a fluke and last night I was proved wrong as the exact same thing happened! I am done!

E
Nov 01, 2009 6:13 pm EST

Mitchum is the only uncented deorant I can find on the shelves, I picked up a 2.5 oz smart solid. Upon reaching home I discovered the container is only filled half way. I went back to the store and found out they were all this way. What is this, another consumer rip off?

G
Aug 08, 2009 11:18 am EDT

As mitchum is the only deodorant that works for me I had to find a solution for the crumbling dilema. After each use I run it under water for a couple of seconds and replace the lid. I solved the problem mitchum deodorant needs to be kept MOIST at all times to prevent crumbling.

Jul 23, 2009 8:40 am EDT

I've had the same problems with Smart Solid Unscented. I've used the old product for years but now I say bring back the original. Twice the stick broke off and landed on the floor. I didn't even have it out very far, just far enough not to scrape my skin. The product does not go on very smooth and seems to dry out very quickly making it difficult to slide. This product is poorly made and will buy something else if the old doesn't come back.

K
Jun 29, 2009 2:07 pm EDT

I had used Mitchum for many years but switched for a cheaper brand. I just recently tried Mitchum again. I wish I had read this before my purchase. The crumbling is terrible. Over half the product ends up on the floor every time I use it. I'm going to call and then go out and buy a different brand. Thanks for the info. At least now I know it's just not me. The number I called was on the container: [protected] and yes, you need the numbers of the bottom of the container.

B
Jun 27, 2009 5:10 pm EDT

I ripped a piece off of my finger trying to get the @@#%#@$ plastic cover off of the cake of the Smart Solid. Bled off and on for 2 days. Bizarre - a triumph of packaging over common sense. I don't want anything from them. Will just move on.

T
May 28, 2009 3:03 pm EDT

I have used Mitchum products for years and have always been satisfied. The new product, Smart Solid, is a disaster. Seems to work effectively enough, but crumbles to pieces after using only 50% of the product. I've tried to keep it "rolled down" so that not too much of the product is exposed, but that doesn't seem to help. I called Revlon Consumer Help Line 1-888-8-MITCHUM and they were very gracious. Asked a few questions, then offered to send a replacement Mitchum product of my choosing.

N
Feb 10, 2009 11:58 am EST

Ok people... I finally found a phone number to contact Mitchum about their lousy product! Make sure to save the deoderant because they will only refund your money if you have the code on the bottom of the tube.

[protected]

Good luck!

Nov 02, 2008 8:44 pm EST

I have just recently purchased 2 smart solid anti-perspirants.I threw them both away after only 1 attempt to use.My underarms were a gooey mess.I suffered thru an 8 hour workday with shirt and tie.
the first thing i did when i got home was shower.I haven't purchased a Mitchum product for years but have always felt like Mitchum was one of the better products.Very disappointed.Denny McQuaid

Sep 17, 2008 7:14 pm EDT

The "crumbling" of the solid has happened to me twice and also to my daughter. I have been very dissatisfied with Mitchum products. I have tried the solid scented, unscented and also the gel. None of them have worked for me. The crumbling aspect of the solid was the last straw for me.

Apr 28, 2008 8:38 am EDT

I have been using Mitchum for many years without any problems. However, recently I have found that no matter which type I use 0f Mitchum, it is staining my shirts. I'm very unhappy about this occurrence as it has become a very costly matter. Have you changed the formular? I would like to further discuss this matter with you. Thank you.

G
Apr 22, 2008 5:40 pm EDT

I am unable to find the original Mitchum solid in my area. I have tried the "so called" Smart Solid and it cakes up under my arm pits. I can't wash it off and I literally have to peel it off, which is quite uncomfortable. I also tried the Gel version but it isn't effective on me. Would you please bring back the old version? I have quit using your products due to these problems but would love to start using the old version again!

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

277 complaints