Merrill Lynchretirement accounts

D

My dad, now deceased, had his retirement accounts with Merrill Lynch. When he passed away in 2001, my mom received monthly benefits from his accounts. After 9/11, the accounts went down dramatically. My mother was scared of losing everything in those accounts, so she cashed them out - against the advice of the Merrill Lynch agent. The agent got mad and screamed at her. Then, when mom received the cash... she called the office to talk to the agent about something. The receptionist looked up her accounts and said "they were all cashed out except for another account or more... wait a moment, please"... and then denied saying it. I am afraid that they kept one or more accounts active for the agent to continue making money on. Plus, I have a special needs little sister who lives with my mom - and they both live with me - and we could have re-invested that money to make sure mom had money now. Is it too late to file a complaint? Or even a law suit? That agent is working for a different company now but I have her information.