MedcoHype and puffery

I'm a retired IBMer. Under IBM's retiree medical plan, I've been getting prescription medications from Medco for several years. Medco service is extremely error-prone, in my personal experience, and its internal information handling is remarkably inefficient. And IBM is virtually impossible to reach with a specific emailed complaint about Medco. I believe neither Medco nor IBM wants any written record of dissatisfaction. Hence, I choose this public forum.

The most recent Medco flub on my account started about 3 weeks ago when I cancelled a 90-day prescription for Spiriva due to its $372.92 cost, and had my doctor fax a 30-day prescription. When Medco informed me the 30-day set was ready to ship, I checked its price, which turned out to be listed as $340.42.

This clearly was a serious error, so I called Medco to cancel that order, and explained that their database or perhaps some employee was a bit scrambled. The Medco rep apologized and said she'd cancel the 30-day order; I said I'd get the Spiriva locally.

Last week a Medco rep called me to say the 30-day Spiriva order price had been corrected. I told her that didn't matter to me, that I no longer trust Medco at all, am getting that med locally, and please make sure that 30-day order is cancelled.

This morning Medco sent me an email announcing that the 30-day Spiriva order has been received and is ready to ship. Unbelievable! I immediately called Medco to cancel that shipment. The rep assured me it would not be shipped. As I say, this amazing mismanagement instance is just the latest in a years-long series. It's clear to me that Medco is very badly operated. Perhaps it's a company that grew too fast. Perhaps it's just a company that's 90% hype and puffery. Whatever the case, I'm gone. But I'll be happy to discuss Medco - and the IBM benefits department's reaction to emails I sent them - with any interested party.

Mike Orceyre
[protected]
1923 Beach Drive SE
St. Petersburg, FL 33705

• Valerie Apr 13, 2008

If you are stumbling across this because you have a suspicion that Medco service is bad, incompetent, or downright dishonest I am here to tell you you're right. You are not alone. Get away from them and go to Costco.

They initially sent me my meds without advance payment, then demanded payment up front. Lied and said they were sending meds they never sent.

Now they have placed a marker in the pharmacy computer network that they mailed my prescriptions 14 days ago. Uh, not they didn't or I would have them. They have billed my insurance company for the medications without sending them to me. I will be calling my insurance company immediately.

If you have not been burned by them yet, YOU WILL.

• Ir
    Ira Tangy Dec 09, 2008

I have never filed a complaint before until I had dealings with Medco. I even went to the Attorney General. This company bills your insurance, bills your credit card, doesn't send medication and puts a stop on your insurance so you can't get medication elsewhere. The customer service is just as bad. When asked for names I was only able to get first ones, even from the supervisors. They were all argumentive and condencending. They have no regard for peoples health or well being, only about the bottom line.

jack Jan 16, 2009

Medco does indeed have its problems that need attention. I have found that unfortunately they can't be solved on the phone or on email much of the time. However, I believe they are trying to deal with them. I have used the Better Business Bureau to get resolution. The BBB send my email complaint to the CEO's office, where a professional works on resolving it. Even when they feel they have been correct, they will often make a concession (if asked). If your Medco insurance is paid for by your employer, it may very well be that the employer is devising rules that Medco is obligated to enforce. For example, ED medication. They put you through hoops in the hope that you will be too embarrassed to put up a fight. Now, is that Medco or my employer? I suspect, it's the employer.

• De
    Dennis Ringenbach Aug 21, 2009

My Bank sent a check for medications which was received by Medco on 7/10/2017. After waiting until the 21st and still not posted, I contacted Medco to find out why it had not been posted. They said that they had not received the check or that it was lost. I then waited until the 25th and notified them that I was going to put a stop payment on the check and paid the bill with my Chase Freedom card. The next day the check was processed and the Chase Freedom transaction was reversed. Then I received notice that I owed them a $10.00 bank fee for stop payment on the check. Well, on the 21st of August I received a letter postal marked 8/17/2017 with a letter stating that I owed them the total bill plus the $10.00 bank fee, which I payed in full plus the $10.00 fee way back on 8/12/2017. Total incompetence.

• Al
    altal74 Aug 21, 2009

• Ul
    Ultimate consumer Jan 02, 2010

I AM REQUIRED TO USE MEDCO AS PART OF US GOVERNMENT PROGRAM. THIS IS THE WORST PHARMACY EVER. THEY HAVE LOST MY RECORDS AND MY REQUESTS FOR NEW PRESCRIPTIONS FOR MORE THAN TWO YEARS. MY INSUROR REQUIRES ME TO USE THEM OR PAY DOUBLE THEIR PRICE FOR PHARMACEUTICALS---WHAT A RIP OFF. THEY HAVE EVEN ADMITTED THEY WERE AT FAULT IN HANDLING MY PRESCRIPTIONS BUT NOTHING IS BEING DONE TO CORRECT THEIR ACTIONS. HOPE THIS IS NOT THE FUTURE OF US HEALTH CARE OR WE ARE IN SERIOUS TROUBLE.

• Fi
    FikL95 Jan 30, 2010

I got 2 letters in the mail from Transworld regarding an upaid Medco acct. One was wanting the balance of $66.77 at year's end (2017).The other was written the next day (first week in January) saying the debit had been cleared and I was in good standing with Medco, disregard previous letter. Whatever! It's time for my new Rx so I called last Friday night - 1/15 - and I speak with Stephen who (after I explained the 2 letters) that yes, the end of year dead was 'written off and I owed no money but would have to pre pay for all orders for one year now'. I said fine - but was I hearing him correctly in that I did not owe the old debit but just had to pay $65 for my new prescripion and he said yes. Now MEDCO - days later - says I can't get my Rx until I pay ANOTHER $65. So, I'm out $66 and have no Rx. They are liars, incompetents, and I sware I'll get OPM to drop them or change insurances. THEN they refused to give me any contact info for the collection agency so that I could have the letter from them as proof of their saying the matter was written off and I did not have to further pay.

• Bl
    BlandBrand Feb 23, 2010

I can tell you that maybe if the company stopped allowing non pharmacists to fill your prescriptions and enforced policy when pharmacists are not checking your prescriptions, maybe they would be accurate. The deal is that there is footage of these practices that cause shortages, overages and wrong medications being "accidentally" dispensed. This material is very close to being released to the public and will be within 2017. You see Medco is busy walking around in bullet proof vests touting their stock prices and not thinking twice about your grandmother on the phone who is ready to [censored] because she cannot get a simple answer from Medco. This audio material will also be released in 2017. Reports have been made and persons are still speaking with the Federal government about this company's practices. Oh and there is a huge kicker to come as well on top of this stuff but you will have to wait until it is turned over to the public. So I think if I were Medco I would be extremely concerned. There are many unethical acts occurring within this company and all will be revealed. Oh and do you think your personal information is protected??? Think again...

Johnatan Mar 04, 2010

Medco allows non pharmacists to fill your prescriptions.

Medco allows medications to be in an unsanitary environment.

Medco allows certain folks to use company resources for personal use.

Medco allows certain individuals to break policy and others may not.

Medco doesnt care if your family member is going to off themself because no one will help them. They would rather call the police and get their profit.

The fact is that all of this will be exposed shortly. Things like Human Resources unethical activity, VPGM's unethical activity, Corporate persons unethical activity...it isnt going to be attractive. Medco is just plain an amateur company trying to be big league and will cut any corner to get there.

• I got my meds shipped to me today and opened the package and out of 60 pain pills I was supposed to get I got 40. I called the company, spoke with a phara. and she said they are sending this over to the recovery dept to look into. I should get a call no later than Monday.. But she said this medication is counted 2 times... Also theyd have to contact my Dr to make sure its ok to send the replaced pills.. How CRAZY is that.. There going to call my Dr and make it look like I misplaced 20 pills somewhere and make me look like a drug addict... Im am so freaking pissed right now.. DONT EVER GET ANYTHING FILLED THROUGH MEDCO THEY WILL STEAL YOUR MEDS... I filed a complaint through the BBB of Las Vegas b.c thats where the meds came out of... How does this happen on controlled Med's only.. Someone stealing them within the company.

• Re
    RestlessHeart Apr 16, 2010

You have no way of knowing it only happens with controlled meds. And FWIW...the BBB wont do a damn thing about it.

• ScamBusters96 May 29, 2010

It might seem like speculation but it is hard to discount how the complaints of being shorted are never about other meds. I have never had a problem with getting other stuff like allergy meds for my son or hypertension meds for my husband. I have on the other hand had issues just like the OP with my pain medication. Medco knows that most people won't complain or they will appear to be fiends. Its not right that they do it to one person let alone dozens of us. I agree with you that the BBB does squat. It would be better to file a complaint with the pharmacy board.

• Dm
    dmanjam Jun 25, 2010

When I order prescriptions from Medco it is always a 90 day supply, my doctors office made a mistake and sent a prescription for 30. Medco filled the order for the reduced quantity and charged me the same amount 90 would have cost. It typically takes a week for them to fill and ship an order, this one for the short quantity went out in 2 days. Medco said I am responsible for my doctors mistakes and basically said that is too bad. I feel like this is theft, I never authorized an order for 30 ea.

• Mo
    Momofmany Sep 18, 2010

I have to get my son's insulin through Medco, a 90 day supply at a time. I have yet in the last 10 years gotten a correct order or gotten an order when needed.

This time they are saying they haven't gotten the prescription from my childs doctor at Childrens Mercy, Childrens Mercy says they haven't gotten a request, that was in July. At my son's appointment on August 23rd, I watched the nutritionist fax the prescription myself. It is now September 3rd, and still no insulin. I went to my pharmacy that I get other temporary medication from to get insulin and my insurance wouldn't cover it because medco has "dibs" on sending the insulin. I am allowed 3 refills per calendar year for insulin and haven't used any but when I go to try to get it I am asked to pay full price.

My son is 15 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 2. It has been a stressful disease at times. But when you have to worry if your going to get the medicine that keeps your child alive and healthy every ninty days, that is just cruel.

On a positive note, my last refill they gave me refills for an insulin pen, which he has been off of for over a year, and we have used that to fill the insulin pump.

• Bg
    bgeisel Oct 17, 2010

I am a retired IBMer. If I have any other option for prescriptions this renewal (other than MEDCO), I am going to take it. MEDCO's website takes 10 seconds to deliver any screen. When they communicate to a question, they send you an email and tell you to sign on to see their answer.

I have been trying to get a 2017 expense total for a month. For the 3rd time, they want to call me to confirm personal information.

I stopped sending in my prescription to MEDCO because I could get it for $10 at Target. MEDCO was $15. Recently MEDCO reduced it to $10 - so now I can buy my medicine from MEDCO for the same price I get it at Target without insurance.

Sell this stock short.

• Ar
    Arnold L Nov 30, 2010

I'm not sure why medco has the very worst customer service employees. How high is the unemployment rate?? Why can't they find individuals that are customer service oriented. If this was the first time I would ignore it but it is time and time again that I get the rudest ppl. Today I got a real gem of a gal named Lillian. She repeatedly cut me off and talked over me. I was trying to explain my issue but she obviously knew it all and didn't need my questions or concerns. MEDCO *** AND MY 100 WORDS are up!

Maiza Dec 21, 2010

I have Medco insurance through work at Allstate and I have had nothing but problems with them. They have been the most irresponsible company I have ever been forced to work with. If you want to sit out their and act as if Medco is the perfect meds company that's fine. But I have heard a lot more complaints about them than compliments.I have mailed in prescriptions early thinking they would simply add it to my account. So I could place the order when I needed it Meco trashed the prescription, I had to go back to my Dr. and obtain a new one. I also had a problem when I mailed in a prescription that was post marked 8 days after I received it from my Dr. again Meco trashed it, I have had it with Meco. I am going to tell anyone who will listen just how Medco treats people.

• Ke
    Kevin Ber. Dec 28, 2010

My pain meds dissapeared. I was suppose to get 360 vicodine and got 132. I called talked with a pharmacist. She said they were sent and she would contact my doctor for a new perscription. Meanwhile Ill be in some serious pain when what I have runs out and someone at medco is stealing bigtime. From the looks of it after reading these comments controlled substances should be sent to your local drugstore for pickup. I dont need a thief knowing where I live to break into my home for meds.

• Ke
    Kevin Ber. Dec 28, 2010

Medco shipped me 132 vicodine but was suppose to send 360. I called and they said they shipped 360 the enclosed invoice said 360 but in the package was one bottle of three. ONLY ONE BOTTLE of 132. The package was opened by me and did not appear to have been opened prior to me getting it. A controlled substance like this should not be sent to a private individual but sent to a local drugstore or at least to be signed for after checking for proper amounts and identity of the product. Medco has a thief working there and I dont need the thief to know that I have pain pills and where I live to break in and get them. Yes think about it that way folks. Im peed off. From the looks of it I am not the only victim here. Lets get Medco.

• Hb
    HB2003 Jan 04, 2011

Anyone who is thinking about joining Medco or just has, DO NOT. Get the heck away. These people are grossly negligent and are stupid. They will think nothing of witholding chronic medication, cancel prescriptions WITHOUT authorisation, or being instructed to do so, send whatever medications they feel like sending, EVEN IF NOT ORDERED. Precription medications are added and put on the online prescription medication list taht has nothing to do with the patient. They are liars to. Even the word of supervisors and higher up do not carry any vlaue. They promise and swear blindly that mediucation will be overnighted to paients, and a week later there is still no delivery. They will NOT deliver medication if there is an outstanding balance, that shoulkd be included in a second medication order, but that was stopped due to incompetence, neglect, and unwarranted interference from idiots that have no right to be working there. So, you can rather die than get your chronic medication from Medco. Does not matter what problem you have, THEY WILL DECIDE IF YOU GET YOUR MEDICATION OR DIE... Legal action is pending

• Op
    Oppressed Consumer Jan 06, 2011

Under three different health plans, Medco has been the mail order drug provider. I have never had a positive experience with them. Medco has managed to incorrectly process and invoice prescription orders 90% of the time. The problems have ranged from mailing prescriptions to the wrong address, canceling new orders with a valid doctor's prescription to invoicing the full balance when the account was setup for extended payments. In most circumstances, Medco has been unwilling to correct their mistakes which adversely affect me. I have had to go as long as a week without medication and had the entire balance of my account ($700+) debited from my account in error by Medco. It is unfortunate that the consumer is the one who is impacted without any recourse against Medco. Since Medco is the largest of only a small number of mail order drug companies, they are able to continue to provide an unacceptable level service because of no competition. If companies in other business sectors operated as poorly as Medco, they would be out of business.

• Un
    undercover boss Jan 19, 2011

What a lousey company...after 3 months of fighting for what I was promised, late getting my meds, lies about shipping overnight, co-pay issues. I was fed up to the max. If you need help on getting some relief I figured it out. David B. Snow is the president and c.e.o. of the company. [protected] mention his name to customer service resolutions. I delt with Marc Schenbart. good luck. Undercover boss in mich.

• Im
    IMPARTIAL Jan 20, 2011

As a previous employee of Medco Health Solutions, I can verify most of this to be true. While working there, I was repeatedly being told to do things that I felt was unethical. The situation that resulted in me leaving was the worst. Medco conjured up this disgusting scheme that they eventually required me to be a part of. The plan is this: locate senior citizens on the Medco Rx plan and call them and ask them to switch to a COMPLETELY different medicine used to generally treat the same ailment the patient has. the purpose being that the medicine is cheaper and is more profitable for Medco. Upon asking the senior citizen patient to switch, and agreeing to do so, the NONPHARMACIST salesperson (such as myself) would then fax an ambuguous prescription form to the patient's doctor asking the doctor to sign the rx per the patient's request. keep in mind that as a salesperson, one knows nothing about the medicine the patient is switching to and cannot discuss with the patient what the medicine is or what it does. why isn't this illegal?! perhaps it is, i don't know. I do know this, the system was flawed. I recall specifically where a person was a stomach medicine, omeprazole i believe, and the system was telling me to suggest that the patient take ambien. uhhh... i don't know much about the treatments of medicines, but i know that isn't right. my supervisor told me that if i come across something like that i should suggest it to the patient anyway and then make the management aware of what happened. BAD BUSINESS!

• Ra
    Random victom Jan 21, 2011

Fully agree that the company acts irresponsibly and unethically regarding decisions of filling doctored authorized prescriptions. I am interested to know more about the legal actions of which are referred.

• Pn
    pncake Jan 22, 2011

Unfortunately, this mistake was made by your doctor's office - not by Medco. They filled the precription exactly as was prescribed by the doctor's office. The issue with paying the same co-pay for a 30 day supply or a 90 day supply is based upon your insurance - not by Medco. Your insurance has contracted with Medco to be their plan administrator / manager. It seems that your plan charges the same amount if you get a 30 day supply or a 90 day supply via mail away. Any issues with the smaller quantity or subsequent charge would need to be taken up with the doctor's office. In the end, they are only charging what they have been instructed to charge.

Medconotright Feb 15, 2011

Was 2017 a bad year for Medco? Did anyone else receive drugs or bills that Medco initiated? A friend said Medco sent them a bill for an error Medco made two years ago. What is going on with Medco? I was sent a drug I did not order. I have 90 pills of Nexium that I do not take. Between myself and my insurance company MEDCO collected over $450. Medco will not credit me my portion. I put in an appeal and am still waiting. I was told I would here this week. It's Friday and still nothing. Checked my account and no credit! The phone call I received last week said I would have an answer this week. They do not stand behind their words.

• Pi
    piedpiper1 Feb 25, 2011

Medco sent my MD a letter informing him of their dosing considerations. Suggested a dose may exceed recommendations. Please consider risks versus benefits and determine if changes in therapy warranted. Then sent a list of medications. I have been on these medications for a long time with no problems. Also letter stated you (MD) were identified as prescriber of record. Then, to try to cover themselves they state this presents as information only. The MD then just reduced medicines to avoid the hassles of dealing with Medco. I called Medco and was told that ultimately RX is up to MD but they are trying to reduce costs and get MD to prescribe less per month. I was then referred to a "physician consultant" who was beyond rude. She did say that Medco has sent out a large number of these letters and would not provide me a copy of the letter. For MD eyes only. I got a copy of my letter and guess what was at the bottom in big letters DO NOT REPRODUCE. This is the second time in 2 years Medco has tried to dictate my treatment. I feel the MD and only the MD should decide patient treatment. Not a "physician consultant".

• Pi
    piedpiper1 Feb 25, 2011

The same thing happened to me today. My DR is no longer prescribing what he did before. Same letter. We have no choice in pharmacy. Must use Medco. Very unhappy with service and trying to influence my doctor to better their bottom line.

• Bl
    bloomers Feb 25, 2011

Medco customer service is very rude. They have shorted me on certain medications and I have to do without. My doctors office hates to deal with them. They have tried to change amount and kind of medicine I receive. Asked my doctor to cut down on # of pills in each RX.

• Fi
    Fixray May 14, 2011

I ordered medications on May 3, 2017 online and had 3 pending prescriptions. On May 4 my doctor indicates that they responded to Medco's request. On May 13 Medco cancels the order and removes the reorder availability from my online account. I call customer service what a joke, person is like reading from a script and offers no assistance. Blames me and my doctor for their failure to provide the service they are contracted to provide. So far all I get from them is excuse after excuse. Medco should not be in the mail order prescription business if they can not provide the service effectively and efficiently. Worst service provider I have ever dealt with in my entire life.

Medco Man Jul 03, 2011

Are you kidding me with this, You don't pay a bill and it get's written off but you still expect a company to send you an item. Just because a past due balance was written off doesn't mean that you don't owe the money. Pay your bills and you wouldn't have this problem.

You wrote:

Medco Man Jul 03, 2011

Are you kidding me, You don't pay your bill and you get mad at a company that won't send you your medication without paying your past due balance. Just because the balance was written off doesn't mean you don't owe it. When you don't pay your copay with Medco your company pays it. It is in all contracts with companies with Medco if a customer doesn't pay their bills then they are responsible for paying for it. There was no reason for you to be upset with Medco when you couldn't pay your bill.

You wrote:

Marilyn916 Oct 09, 2011

I was just sent two rxs that I didn't order. I had ordered four other rxs that I needed. These other two were charged to my credit card. Now they have to do a review to make sure Medco had made the error...this is BS! I have to use them because of my husband's past employment..

• Ta
    takenbutnotstirred Jan 03, 2012

Not sure if the problem is with BCBS, but as two new members we were not able to find any prices for their mail in services online. My husband had the forms mailed to him and then found out they were useless without a new prescription from his Dr. The DR sent the prescription 3x electronically. We would get a voice mail from Medco each time stating there was no such person in their system. We called BCBS and they would spend 20-30 min. on the phone claiming that they were calling the Dr and Medco.
    They claim they only use the person's first 5 letters of their name and date of birth. With a common name like Michael, it just does not seem plausible that it would work. We just gave up and try and buy our prescriptions as cash only-no insurance.
    Nice way to keep the costs down,

• De
    DEADMAN LOOKING 4 HELP Jan 27, 2012

can't get prescription's filled, I pay what I'm told four day later i send another proscription and I'm told I can't have my meds because I owe a balance.I pay usually a $100.00 to make it current then thay will fill my prescripition, But I NEVER GET TO SEE WHAT THE DRUGS COST EACH.I belive thay are going to make me die because I am on and off my meds because thay cant keep my records straight. Or thay don't want to show me how much I am paying .I should just go to walgreens and pay full price but I am disabled and don't have that kind of money.so we don't eat and all family members get sick from not eating.hell I just started seeing a Heart Doctor and Lung specialist both of them say I would be alot better of without stress, MEDCO is going to kill me ...

• St
    steven collins Jan 27, 2012

go on line to medco and set up an on line account then you can track your orders

samuel medina Jan 29, 2012

i can.t believe it in this greate nation dealing with medco is like dealing with the devil .

• Hu
    Hujixe Aug 17, 2012

I had very bad experience with Medco pharmacy, they kept making mistake on our family medications such as delay or put it on holds, send out less quantity then the Dr. Order on prescription, their employee not well trained, but I stuck with them no matter what, my insurance company won’t pay for the cover of the drug if i purchase them at the retail pharmacy if the drug is a long term medication.

I don’t know what to do any more, it’s like a trap for me.

I hope that some one can start the class action lawsuit against them.