Massage Heights - Royal OaksImproper billing

In January of 2013 I signed up for a year-long contract to receive monthly massages at Massage Heights-Royal Oaks in Houston, TX to be debited from my bank account each month. Although I only used two massages by the time the year was up, I was otherwise happy with their service. In January of 2014, it occurred to me to check my bank transactions to see if I was charged that month. I was not, so I figured the contract was up, and I never thought another thing about Massage Heights-Royal Oaks. I received a letter from Transworld Systems Inc., dated July 14, 2014, stating that I owed Massage Height-Royal Oaks $479.93. For what? I never received any information from Massage Heights-Royal Oaks stating that I owed them any money! Apparently, Massage Heights "auto-renewed" my membership without my knowledge, and my account was in delinquency because I hadn't paid in four months.They claim they called my cell phone on three occasions, but a message was never left. I never received anything in writing either, through the mail or email.
I do not understand how I can be turned over to a debt collector for a debt I didn't even know existed.
I think this is bad business practice and I am mortified that I have been reported to a debt collector. After phone calls to Transworld Systems, they referred me back to Massage Heights-Royal Oaks. I spoke with Sandra, the manager/owner? She said there was nothing she could do and that I would have to call Transworld to settle the dispute. After being placed on hold for 25 minutes by a Transworld representative, I finally hung up. I am a nice person who does the right thing. This all seems so wrong to me. What else can I do?

• Mk
    MkStItCh Aug 01, 2014

You might want to start by looking at the original contract.
    It is possible that you signed something stating that the membership would auto-renew unless you canceled.
    That said, it might also have a clause saying that the payments are only for 1 year. Maybe that is so they do not get fees if the bank account charges or credit card charges are disputed.

Good luck