LED under counter lights model 7200LED-BNDefective product

I purchased a LED under the counter light set consisting of four light 'pucks' each containing 24 individual LEDs. The package said the product was warranted for 2 years. Within 2-3 months, two of the pucks had gone out. The set costs approximately $25 at Costco, but since I could not find the original receipt, Lights of America would not replace the bad 'pucks'. Additionally, if I had found the receipt I would have been responsible for sending the entire set back to the company for replacement, paying postage myself. All in all not much of a warranty and not much of a product. I have seen several complaints on-line about this item, but LoA does not seem inclided to do anything about it and have they taken the item off their website product line page.

Joe905 Oct 31, 2016

These lights did the same melt and burn thing to me. I bought these at Wal-Mart, and I just kept buying more and returning the burnt out ones until I had a set of 'good' ones. Wal-Mart stopped selling them so I couldn't continue to replace defective pucks anymore. The last of these lights (the ones that ended up working) are now dim, and yellow. Lights of America hides behind the USA flag while selling over-priced, cheap, defective, and possibly dangerous products made in China.
    I want to keep the thread alive seeing as Lights of America must have realized at some point (before now) a recall was in order.

• Tr
    True Nathan Jan 02, 2016

Same old thing. 33% of mine do not work. It looks like one of the resistors failed and the unit got so hot that it melted a hole in the outer plastic casing. Cheap and ultimately could be dangerous.

Comments

• Ar
    ardoch395 Jan 04, 2011

these lights are junk, wal mart here in canada sells them and i'm now on my fourth set. loa should look into this they must have a ton of returns. i just found a light on ebay called a gx53 it look the same but i am not sure if it will fit. i might have to order one to try

• El
    elabz Nov 04, 2010

correction to my first comment: "supply of 5mm WHITE LEDs" - indeed, a typo

Comments

• El
    elabz Nov 04, 2010

For more info about repairing and modifying these lights check this blog post:

There are couple more things that can be done to these lights but, unfortunately, all require soldering skills and a supply of 5mm while LEDs

• Mc
    mcsilva Sep 23, 2010

same thing here. enjoyed it for 2 months while it worked. then it burned out and now i can' t find a replacement puck not even at walmart where i bought this thing. don't buy Lights of America products because these things are made in china. nothing says "Made in America" anymore. i miss the old days when things were made here in this country and lasted for 3 generations or more.

• Mi
    MichelOB Aug 17, 2010

I have bought a 3 light puck set and one of them burned out the first night we have used them and we were not able to find replacement pucks yet.
    Very poorly designed product.

• Sr
    sreksif May 05, 2010

After taking one of the pucks apart and probing around, I found one of the 24 series led's bad. It seems they are over-driving all of the led’s. I replace one bad led, then added a 1200 ohm 1/4 watt resistor and placed it in the blank location named R3. Now turn the printed circuit board over and cut the trace shorting across R3 using an exacto knife. The puck is back together and I fixed it myself.
    If you would need more details you may email me.

• Da
    Dacus Jan 14, 2010

If you bought them from Costco take them back. If you don't have a receipt and you bought them with a credit card, Costco can look it up. You have to be firm with them, they can do it.

• Se
    sevki Nov 28, 2009

bought it from castco just like everybody else. 8 bulbs burned out.

• Sm
    SMalt Sep 30, 2009

Avoid this product: Model: 7200-LED-BN

Bought mine at Wall-Mart and after just 3 weeks, mine stopped working because the internal electronics burned out or overheated. Like everybody else, I figured out this product was very cheap after I bought it and could not get a refund. I almost burned my finger while removing the defective LED puck from its base, even the LED was OFF since days !

I still have some other ones still working, I will remove them all. To my opignion, this product is not simply pure crap, its also dangerous since the light heats up even after it stopped working. To protect my family, I removed all the Lights Or America Products installed in my house.

• Bo
    Bobbysongs Jun 29, 2009

Same problem with me. I bought two sets at Costco, and of the 8 lights, 5 have gone out. i will persue this with Costco since they seem to be a pretty customer oriented company but i do not have high hopes. Extremely disappointed.

Christina May 20, 2009

I bought these lights as well. 3 out of 4 pucks are out and ofcourse there are no replacements. I will never by lights of america lights of any kind ever again. waste of money and ultimately bad for the environment.

• Sh
    Shennen DellAnno Apr 11, 2009

Agreed...same issue for us...now Costco does not sell them and i am seeing that for 3 of them the cost is about $40! Of course I do not have my recepit either...i guess this is probably why costco does not sell then anymore because they are junk! I am not happy that I put them in...i should of just spent the extra and bought the expensive LED lighting!

JoAnn Apr 07, 2009

We bought our under the counter 7200led bn from Costco about 4 months ago and the other night 3 of the 4 went out. Now I am finding out that to replace them is going to cost a small fortune. Especially for something that was suppose to last a long time. I am not happy about this and will certainly take this matter to Costco.

• Do
    Don Mar 17, 2009

Same issue, wrote and called the company with no luck. Bad product. I am going to all the sites i possibly can and filling out product reviews. I will keep doing that and cc'ing the company until i get two replacement bulbs. Let them eat the support costs.