LA Fitnessla fitness membership cancellation cheating!

I've read nightmare stories about canceling LA Fitness memberships. At first I could not understand why people were having such a hard time canceling their memberships.

Its as simple as filling out a form, placing it in an envelope, throwing a stamp on it and dropping it in the box. Approx. 3 weeks after doing so, I have not heard from LA Fitness and am getting the usual run around every time I call. "We have no record of your forms on file." (Exactly the line from the nightmare stories.) The member services rep says, "It usually takes about 2 weeks to get here and process."

Two weeks from NJ to CA via snail mail, and for someone to open it and push a few buttons in the computer to cancel auto billing. (Could this not be done over the phone? VIA fax?) The form doesn't even require a signature.

Theres no way to prove it because its been shipped standard USPS (for all I know it could have been lost/not processed yet/placed in the garbage). So last week, I re-send the forms via CERTIFIED Mail so I know when it gets there. To avoid being charged another month for an already canceled membership, I freeze my account over the phone. I figured if I'm going to lose money $10 is better than $34. Several days later, they call me up to update my credit card info but I refuse.

Later that day, I call to inquire the status of my account and its magically active. How about that? What a mess.

• Mo
    Morpho Mark Jun 21, 2020

Today I realized that I was charged a monthly membership fee ($37) after cancelling my membership.
    I've experienced bad business practice before so I was careful to photocopy my cancellation document.
    Who knows how much time and money I'll have to spend to correct this fraudulent charge.
    I mailed my notice on May 21 and was subsequently billed as usual on June 17. I'm tired of giving businesses the benefit of the doubt when things like this happen. It is just plain fraudulent. I'll be spreading the word and reporting to the BBB. No more Mr. Nice Guy. Consumers - BEWARE !
    LA Fitness is hurting for cash and will likely do anything to stay afloat.
    I'll do whatever necessary to protect myself and help others fight this type of CORRUPT business practice.
    Let's all work together to HIGHLIGHT these bad actors and have them pay the price for bad behavior.
    Morpho Mark

• Di
    Dina Danial Apr 25, 2020

My name is Tiffany Carresi and I canceled my membership in July 2018 and only recently realized that I was still being billed up until April 2020 for my canceled membership.

I am requesting immediate reimbursement for charges billed from July 2018 until April 17, 2020.

I never used my membership since believing it was canceled in July 2018.

• Mo
    Morpho Mark Jun 21, 2020

@Dina Danial Good luck getting your money back. if you're lucky maybe they'll refund the last month or two. of course they'll try to keep your money. this looks like a very expensive lesson learned...
    Never trust any business. they don't trust nor respect you and they'll take as much of your money as you allow.
    I suggest you always check your statements at least monthly to prevent this kind of theft.
    Consumers - beware!
    If they continue stealing your money, you may need to cancel that credit card that they continue to bill.
    Contact the bbb and report this bad business practice. beware of any business during this time as they may resort to fraudulent billing and corrupt business practices while their cash flow is interrupted.

• Hi
    Hi Song Feb 25, 2019

I have had executive membership for years.
    I payed 50 dollars for anual fee.
    LA fitness facility closed and opened signature club in Ann Arbir Michigan, and my old membership is not honored, I have to pay
    new initiation fee and monthly due as a new member. There is no regular LA fitness facility in town.
    Do I have to take legal action?

manuel lugo Sep 18, 2018

Allowing women employees to inspect man's locker room. we are undressed!

Magda Shafer Sep 11, 2018

Update
    Soon after I wrote my grievance of Sep 3, 2018 on this website, I filed the dispute with my mastercard company. They wrote that the merchant has 45 days to respond and that I will hear back from them. Since then, the charge for the personal fitness training has been put on hold and I do not need to pay it for now. The credit card company has put a credit on my account for this amount. They wrote that they will get back with me when they have heard from LA Fitness.

Also I have called LA Fitness several times and have spoken with and left a message for Sarah. She called me back, and I was surprised because she had put me off many times and days, but she said that LA Fitness has cancelled my contract and will not charge my credit card any more. I asked her if she would send it to me in writing and she said she will send me an e-mail. I thanked her. I was really glad, but did not trust her. I have checked my credit card statement online daily since then and there has not been a charge on it, so it looks as if her word is good, but I have not received the confirming e-mail as of this writing.
    After I had hung up I remembered that I had not asked her for a credit of the first monthly charge for the personal fitness training, but I think this will be resolved one way or the other.
    I urge all the people who have been wronged by LA Fitness to contact their credit card company and file a dispute. I think filing the dispute and their contacting LA Fitness has brought this reversal about. Maybe your credit card company will do the same for you and hopefully will help you get it resolved.

Magda Shafer Sep 03, 2018

I had a 6 months agreement which had run out. Then they created a new agreement with a new number and new processing fee and a new enrollment fee for 12 months and electronically signed that contract S o F. After I saw the charges on my credit card statement I called LA Fitness and asked them what that means. They said it means Signature on File. So when my agreement was finished they started a new one, for twice as long as I had before, without telling me anything about it. Not only do they have my signature on file, they also have my credit card on file and can charge it whenever they want. I called my credit card company and asked if I can cancel it, and they said because it is a master card they can still charge on it even if I cancel it. They said I should file a dispute with them and they would contact LA Fitness and try to get the agreement cancelled. They also said that LA Fitness can take 2 billing cycles to respond to my dispute. They will surely charge every month. When I hear back from either one, I will post it here.

• Dm
    dmzChicago Aug 21, 2018

We write corporate every week and send pictures.

They do not care.

There is no club pride at LA Fitness.

All we want is a clean gym to work out in.

Again we write emails and send pictures every week and there is no change.

• Te
    Tejaswi Jha Aug 14, 2018

Hi,
    I joined LA fitness in June 2017 in Houston. I moved out of Houston in September and requested to end my membership. The monthly membership fee and instructor fees is still getting deducted from my card. Please stop this. Please refund my fees from October 2017.

Thanks,

• Tj
    TJs11 Aug 14, 2018

Everything Needs To Be Changed in LA Fitness Miami Its 2018 Guys Dirty appearance the bathroom looks like it's from the 90s so does the weights and everything in there does not look good at all you have to make people feel good where they are working out and especially if they are paying For a Membership to work out in your Gymnasium

• Ka
    Kart123 Mar 22, 2018

Hi,

I have joined LA Fitness in a family plan in Sandy Springs, Atlanta, 30328 few months back and I was said that I can use any LA Fitness across the country with my plan. I got to move from atlanta to Tampa and there when I visited LA fitness they said I can use that membership only in Georgia. I was very much disappointed with the false information you have given to me for making me to subscribe the plan.
    I asked them to cancel my plan immediately and they said they cannot cancel the plan with immediate billing cycle as you made me to pay one month advance fee. I felt very frustrating and thought of leaving the LA fitness and cancelled my subscription.

• Fr
    Frederick L. Starr Aug 04, 2018

@Kart123 I think the problem is with the Tampa club, because I joined in Roswell but had no problem using the facilities in West Palm Beach, FL, and in Connecticut.

• Na
    Nan Thang Apr 24, 2017

Before joining, be very careful with the terms and conditions. I applied for single club but they deducted me for multi club. I didn't bother to see the amount transaction untill after few months. So, I was simply wasting more money. Also, they just activated my brother's account who had stopped using on my account. They are cheaters thats for sure. No morals!

• To
    Tony Alvi Jun 07, 2016

Im glad i read this before i joined.

Jacqueline Campo Oct 13, 2015

It's unbelievable to me that with all of these complaints that this company hasn't had a class action lawsuit. Everything that I have heard by other people on this site are exactly what I have gone through over the past several months. I've been trying to cancel my personal training membership after having a double mastectomy. Went into to LA Fitness in Upland was told I couldn't cancel because I wasn't permanently disabled I called a number that I thought was the headquarters and come to find out it's another gym but the guy did tell me to send a Drs note with the cancellation and send it certified. Well I've done all of that and for some reason my certified letter has been floating around for about 3 weeks. I live in California so getting it send 40 miles from my location to Irvine no big deal, right? Wrong. Supposedly it still hasn't reached LA Fitness. Something is up with this company and I wish someone from a news station or government agency would investigate. This is utterly ridiculous.

• Da
    david hinojosa Sep 05, 2014

you need pay more attention with workers and the name of the job you are give for yours head janitors all play with the people or co-workers give more job and then they are not due they are own responsibilities the problem make the corporate you pay 15 dollars per hour, when they are work 2 or 3 hours because they are filling supervisors and give out all the job for the co-workers and nobody check that give the hard work for the others and they are take the easy how won 15 dollars and how won 9 dollarsI give 2 examples I make my work-out in San bernardino and redlands in san bernardino carlos villanueva lead janitorgo his home 8 times in a day in a day work he don't like clean is funny but is he's job because give out all his job hard job to the lady'sand noby check if he due right. . where is the manager.in redlands julio jaramillo make the lady use the lift car for clean the ceiling what happen if she fall down who pay the real thing is if they are don't due they are 4 hours responsibility's question they are due details check all those things and be more fear with your other janitors.

Mad Customer2014 Aug 27, 2014

Today I went to my local LA Fitness to
    cancel my membership. I presented them with my cancellation form,
    membership card and ID. The Operating Manager said he would send me a
    cancellation confirmation email within 10 minutes. So I ran some
    errands, went home, checked my email, and nothing for the gym. So I
    called the gym to ask about the email...the receptionist hung up on
    me twice. I called again and no one answered the phone HMMM! I used a
    different phone number, got through and requested a manger. Give him
    my info and magically he hung up on me too. So I called back, got the
    original receptionist and she rudely informed me that the
    confirmation email was just sent to me. Both of their tones were
    highly unprofessional and I do not recommend using LA Fitness for
    anything.

• La
    LauraSchulten Mar 13, 2014

LA Fitness is the worst!! I joined at the beginning of 2014 in the effort to really get in shape before my 30th birthday. I signed up for a personal trainer because I wanted someone who knew what they were doing to help me so I wouldn't hurt myself. I said I wanted to train 3 times a week for the first couple of months to really get myself going but would then cut the sessions back to once (maybe twice) a week, as the long term cost would become to much. I was mislead to believe I was signing into a contract for a personal trainer for a year (which was fine) but could change the frequency of sessions at will, no problem. When I tried to cut back my sessions I was told I couldn't and had to pay $420 a month for the rest of the year!!! That was not what I agreed to. I have tried multiple times to change the terms of this "contract" because despite the sleaziness of the situation, I still want to see the trainer once a week (the trainer is not the problem, he is actually great...it's the sleazy company itself) but they will not budge what-so-ever. I have never in my life had to deal with such disgusting customer service. I've never felt so trapped or deceived in my life! I feel as though a class action law suit is called for if anyone agrees.

samgmat May 01, 2012

I think they tried to hit me. Just wanted to share a horrible experience I had with LA Fitness So called signature club. I was a member since last 3 years, goods and bads the club was ok. It was awesome though when i was in parsippany. Yesterday I went there to check my account, my wife was the primary member and i was family add on. I asked them to freeze for a month, what i saw was they froze mine and cancelled my wife's. upon questioning say cancel your membership if you dont like. In fact they bullied me for asking account I checked my account they have charged me wrong many a times. infact double charged the level questions which non of the uneducated dumb muscle bags knew about. kids membership even when i was frozen. I felt abused. Guys what ever you do dont go there its a life threat. Go to clifton la fitness thats good but the la fitness signature club is the worst experience i ever had in all the gyms i had ever been. 60% of the facilities are not working and you are treated like hell if you dont take personal training sessions but dare to ask them questions. the guys working there are dumb muscle bags. beware of sharing your credit card information. I called the corporate office and reconciled the money part and canceled my membership. We highly educated mass deserve much more than this.

samgmat May 01, 2012

I Felt threatened and as if am gonna be attacked by the club staf. they acted like bouncers instead of trainers: Just wanted to share a horrible experience I had with LA Fitness So called signature club. I was a member since last 3 years, goods and bads the club was ok. It was awesome though when i was in parsippany. Yesterday I went there to check my account, my wife was the primary member and i was family add on. I asked them to freeze for a month, what i saw was they froze mine and cancelled my wife's. upon questioning say cancel your membership if you dont like. In fact they bullied me for asking account I checked my account they have charged me wrong many a times. infact double charged the level questions which non of the uneducated dumb muscle bags knew about. kids membership even when i was frozen. I felt abused. Guys what ever you do dont go there its a life threat. Go to clifton la fitness thats good but the la fitness signature club is the worst experience i ever had in all the gyms i had ever been. 60% of the facilities are not working and you are treated like hell if you dont take personal training sessions but dare to ask them questions. the guys working there are dumb muscle bags. beware of sharing your credit card information. I called the corporate office and reconciled the money part and canceled my membership. We highly educated mass deserve much more than this.

Rich O Mar 10, 2012

When I look at all the complaints from former customers, my first reaction is; "I can't believe it!" But actually I can. Oh, I'm sorry-there is no corporate office that can reproduce these records-No, that person doesn't work here anymore-No, I'm sorry...There's nothing I can do personally. I've heard 'em all. Perhaps fliers on the windshields of the cars of their soon-to-be former clients is the answer-these clowns need to be put out of business yesterday!

• Bo
    Bookish Oct 03, 2011

Under no circumstance join LA Fitness. I had a cancellation nightmare. I finally filed against them with the attorney general

• Ho
    HONGAN Jul 06, 2011

Last month my husband and i went to la fitness at richardson tx, after talking over about finding the best deal for both of us, here's the deal we have been told if my husband paid $149.99+tax initiation fee + $15.00+tax guest ( both for one time payment only) then every month he needs to pay $24.99 + tax, this deal is for my husband membership and each time if i want to come i have to come along with my husband, sound fine to me because i always come with my husband anyway, when it coming to sign the contract on the screen it showing me that i have to pay $247.87 for 1st & last month + initiation fee +$15.00 for guest then on the other line showing me that i have to pay $39.99 a month, i did ask the officer why ? He told me that's ok it only showing up there but you only pay$24.99+tax once again i ask him are you sure ? He said yes positive, then a month later i check my statement i have been charged $43.29 . I came to the gym and ask for the reason, they've told me" i'm sorry it was our staff mistake but it should be $24.99 +$15.00+tax a month for me to come with my husband, "what ?" i've been told that i only need to pay once only, now they're charging monthly if i want to come with my husband, and if i don't want to pay i can't come along with him "wow" what a nice "trap" that they've giving me, after refer me to 3 different person which they called "manager" but the result is still the same from the front desk person that we saw from day 1, then i want to cancelled my membership i do know that i've to give them notice so i can use my 1st and last month, but they still don't want to refund me my initiation fee . I've find out that i'm not the only one having this problem with la fitness . I hope some one can do some thing about this so they don't legally steal our hard working earning money this easy. " watch out for la fitness scam " . I can be contact at [email protected] to verify.

Ricardo Morel Jan 11, 2011

This place is like Hotel California.
    "You can check in anytime you like, but you can never leave"...I cancelled my membership in 2006 at least I thought so until they told me thay had been garnishing my wifes bank account for years without us know it. Now conveniently there's no proof that they got any cancellation and we are out the money...Dont worry LA Fitness you'll get whats coming to you...if this business is still open by the end of the year, then I'll have no faith left in humanity...I vow to fight LA Fitness until I die.

RickLaw Jan 03, 2011

Advertising Material

The law firm of Berger & Montague, P.C., located in Philadelphia PA, is currently prosecuting a class action suit against L.A. Fitness International LLC in federal court. The suit alleges that L.A. Fitness’ cancellation procedures for its monthly membership agreements are unfair and deceptive because members are charged additional monthly dues even after they have attempted to cancel their memberships. L.A. Fitness denies these allegations. We are currently gathering facts in support of these claims. If you have any information concerning L.A. Fitness’ cancellation procedures or practices, please contact Kim Walker toll free at [protected] or [protected], or by e-mail: [email protected] For more information about this case, visit our website www.bergermontague.com.

Berger & Montague, P.C., attorneys are licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania, and some of our attorneys are licensed to practice in additional jurisdictions, including New York, Florida, Delaware, New Jersey, Maryland, Washington, D.C., California and Connecticut. Our firm litigates cases in state and federal courts throughout the United States. On occasions where the firm practices in jurisdictions in which one of our attorneys is not licensed, we associate with that court on a "for that case only" basis and/or associate with locally licensed counsel.

Advertising Material

• Es
    Essen Aug 02, 2010

I am GOING THROUGH THIS RIGHT NOW. Second time I have become a member and have sent them letter of cancellation. No response. They called for payment. I said I cancelled. They said, send us proof. HATE THIS COMPANY. For all the people who make life hell for others. Hope they get suied out of their pants.

• Ir
    Ironmustang May 29, 2010

I have had no problem with the club in my area...South Central PA...in cancelling memberships or anything else for that matter. The club had a membership drive prior to opening and I got memberships for myself, my wife, two of my children and also a kids club. When my wife and daughter did not use the memberships enough I readily cancelled their memberships with no problem. I also cancelled the kids club at that time with no problem. I regularly freeze and unfreeze my sons membership when he is away at school and then home again. In fact the club manager has left my son work out on a guest pass when he was home for a weekend so I did not have to unfreeze his account. Because they have been so good to me, I am considering adding my wife and daughter's memberships again and am sure everything will go fine. I have also changed the method of payment from coming directly out of my bank to going onto a credit card...once again with no problem. I have not been billed in error or overcharged for anything. I have heard plenty of horror stories about LA Fitness but have not experienced any of them directly but I think a lot of the blame rests on the individual club management. However, I will tread with caution in any dealings with them...because evidently they have some problems or the amount of complaints I have found on the internet would not exist. Just my two cents...thanks!

• Wh
    whatever210 Apr 08, 2010

I agree with everything that is said here. I know because I worked the fron desk/operations for less than a month.

First off when you get a big contract, read it! However, as people have noted above they sent in the 'offical form' and oh, coperate did not get it. I was told by my manager on a few times, to ask if it was sent certified mail if they say 'no', it got 'lost'.

I was shocked but than I saw other unethical behaviors, like coperate coming in and taking away our copy machine and no program to scan copies to print off for the customer when they sign up. Oh and when u sign up and the computer frezzes (which happens a lot) you prolly be charged 2X (thats 2X 1st and last months dues, and your fee) and it takes 3 days to a week to return.

Oh and most of the time they aren't enough people in Kids Klub for the number kids required by law...

Since I was a member prior, I sent in my cancelation form in two copies (1, regular mail) (2nd certified mail) In the notes system I wrote how unethical the company is and I wonder which cancellation form will do the trick. Oh and I wasn't giving back the key untilmy membership was cancelled.

When I went to get my last paycheck, my manager asked me about the notes, and why I thought the company was 'unethical'. I started to tell her, when pple try to cancel the right way, it 'gets lost' and the company reaps the benefits. She interrupted me and was like, 'where did u hear that, I never said that'. I was shocked! To have someone lie directly to your face made me angry. So I left... My membership was cancelled in 3 weeks and I believe both forms made it there.

Long story short: DONT DO IT

• Cl
    cloudy moments Mar 31, 2010

My boyfriend signed for one month free membership "SIGNED FREE ONE MONTH MEMBERSHIP!!! " in order to have free deal you have to give credit card number. You guessed it. They withdrew money month after month. Long story short, went to LA fitness office to talk to the person who is in charge. You guessed it. They couldn't find "SINGED DOCUMENT which says free membership for one month!!!"
    It's marketing scam!!!

• Dd
    ddyell Mar 19, 2010

I hate this place. My experience joining was perfectly pleasant. The staff was nice at first but quickly became unfriendly and perfectly useless once they had me signed up for personal training sessions that I was pressured into buying. I had been told that I was going to a free training session as a new member so that they could show me how to use the machines. I was thrown into a high pressure sales pitch where I felt trapped and forced to purchase. I used three of twenty-two sessions. I tried to cancel the sessions once I was laid off from my job but was told that I could only place my account on a freeze for a fee (I had to pay them not to take my money, ha!). Once I found work I continued to pay out the remainder of my six months because it was made perfectly clear to me previously that I was SOL.

I decided to cancel my membership and not make use of the remaining sessions that I had. When I went into cancel, the girl at the front desk (who was uncharacteristically helpful) suggested that I talk to the VP of the gym to see if I could get a refund. I had no intention of asking for a refund, only to cancel my membership, but upon her suggestion, I figured it would have been worth a shot. A simple 'no' would have sufficed. Instead I was insulted and told that I was being unreasonable to ask for a refund (which, remember, I was told by a staff member to do so) and made to feel like my bad experience was my own fault and I should have known better. Words can not express how much this company sucks. They are shady, unethical and uninterested in working with their customer base.

• Ro
    Robin Hillier Dec 13, 2009

Hey - its' just the same in the UK as well. Loads of bulletin boards full of complaints about trying to exit from LA Fitness. You'd think if the world can tackle free trade together it could tackle this outrageous company!

• Ms
    mspil Dec 12, 2009

I was lied to when I signed up for personal training. The salesman told me that I could cancel anytime and that I would get one free session a month. I got NO free sessions, and on top of that I cannot cancel!!! I was very clear about only wanting 3 months of training. Now I am locked into a year because the salesman lied to me point blank. The business office seems to support this!!! I am seriously considering a class action lawsuit in Easton, PA if anyone is interested!

• Sh
    SHAWNA R Oct 01, 2009

I BELIEVE THAT LAFITNESS IS A SCAM AND THE WAY THEY TAKE YOUR MONEY OUT OF YOUR ACCOUNT SUCKS . ESPECIALLY AFTER YOU CANCEL . THEY SAY YOU HAVE NOT DONE IT WITHIN 20 DAY SO THEY CAN GET THERE EXTRA MONEY . I WOULD NEVER SENT SOMEONE TO THIS GYM. I SPOKE WITH A GRACIE NEWMAN IN DEERFIELD BCH.FL. SHE WAS RUDE AND NOT HELPFUL . I AM PISSED!!! SHAWNA...RIVERA

• To
    ToddMeyer Aug 28, 2009

After going through what I have been through in trying to cancel my membership with LA Fitness, it came to my mind that MOST CERTAINLY I cannot be the only person who has gone through this! With the LA Fitness ridiculous membership cancellation policy, it is very obvious the company is trying to milk their customers for every last nickel they can before they leave. If you want to cancel your membership, would it not be logical to just go to your local LA Fitness and sign some paperwork after presenting ID and then you would be done??? Sounds perfectly logical right? You signed up that way... Why can't you cancel that way? If not, perhaps over the phone... If not, perhaps on-line...

Well, you can't.

You have to go through a procedure by which you have to put your name, barcode, and write cancel on a piece of paper and send it into a P.O. Box in Irvine, CA. If you want to be really official, there is a form that you have to get at your local LA Fitness where you basically put that information and send it in. Yes, you have to get it at the local LA Fitness. They won't even fax it to you! And if you DO go there to pick it up, they won't let you fill it out and hand it to them so they can either mail it or fax it to corporate. YOU have to do it. I thought it was such a ridiculous procedure that I called the corporate customer service number and when I eventually got someone on the line, they verified that I didn't have to necessarily get the form, I did have to sent in the letter in the mail with my very simple information on it. He said he would note my account to not bill any further and then recommended that I send it in ASAP, which I did. He said I had plenty of time to not be billed on the 17th as I always did as it was over 2 weeks away.

As I describe this, keep in mind why their procedure might be like this. Multiply how many people they do this to on any given day that will not bother going through all I am going through to get satisfaction because of the relatively small amount of money this is. Do this to enough people, it adds up! If you had a simple and logical cancellation procedure, God forbid, you couldn't get the extra $30-$40 a month times however many people try to cancel at any given time.

After realizing there was no easy and logical way to quit LA Fitness, I followed their ridiculous procedure as mentioned earlier.

Even though I did this, my monthly withdrawal was taken out anyways almost 2 weeks later...

So, I tried to call corporate about it, because that is where I sent the envelope. Makes sense right? Remember, the local club wants you to come in and pick up a form and fill out but you can't give it to them, you have to mail it to corporate. You would think corporate would handle the situation. But they don't. It takes forever to get someone on the phone, and all they will tell you is that they didn't recieve the envelope and they in fact DID NOT notate the account as they said they did from the call 2 weeks earlier and if you prod them to help you by escalating the situation, they will refer you back to your local club, who pawned you off on corporate in the first place.

Well, I dealt with Mike Davis at the Sorrento Valley Branch in San Diego and like all other so called "managers", he is probably in his 20s and could care less about anything except getting the next member signed up. Still, he acted like he cared and would "see what he could do" since he believed me when I said I followed the procedure because I knew exactly what it was and I had dates and times. Well, he said he would get back to me the next day. I heard nothing so I called him the day after and asked him what was up. He said he hadn't called me because he was working on it and hadn't got the answer he was looking for yet... I said, "What is that supposed to mean?"

He basically said he talked to some regional manager named Derek Pearcy and Derek so far wasn't looking to cooperate. Mike literally said though, that he would keep working on it. I asked him "what does that mean, you will keep on working on it?" What will you do differently than what you have done already to get a different result?

He said he will keep talking to Derek and see what he can do... Now, to those readers out there... I ask you... Does that make any sense? I have a short story as to my plight, Mike tells the plight to his regional manager Derek, Derek can't make a decision to help me, and Mike's plan is to keep telling him the same thing over and over day after day in the hope Derek changes his mind... I asked Mike if I was mistaken or whether this was in fact his plan and Mike said yes, that was was basically his plan. That is a TRUE story as this all is of course!

I told him that didn't sound like much of a plan and I asked him for Derek's number and he wouldn't give it to me. I asked him for ANYONE's number that had the power to help me and he said it was Derek, whose number he would not give me and he reminded me he would keep trying. He said that I might try to the customer service number again...

YES... He actually said that

So... What the heck...I don't know if I am just a masochist or what, but I did.. After being on hold forever... Erin answered the phone and I explained to her my plight. She literally asked "Did you send your envelope in 'certified mail'"? Yes... She asked that. To try to quit LA Fitness, I not only can't do it right at my local club, or any branch club which seems incredibly logical and rational, but now she is asking if I sent my cancellation in via certified mail!!! Notice, in all my conversations previous in trying to cancel, that was NEVER recommended.

Obviously since I am not exactly trying to broker a peace deal for the Middle East, it is beyond ridiculous to even consider having to use certified mail. But, apparently, they have in their policies and procedures manual under "Pissed off customer trying to cancel and followed procedures already" ask the customer IF THEY SENT IN THE CANCELLATION via Certified Mail!!! See how they respond to that! If they get more pissed off, refer them back to the local branch...

Truly beyond reproach at this point. I ask her if I can speak to a manager. She says she IS a manager. Mind you, she sounds like she is 22 years old and acts like it too. I ask her if I can speak to someone above her that can help me and she said there is no one like that that I can speak to. She desperately tries to refer me back to my local club again...

Yes... This is the loop I am in.

Welcome to the LA Fitness Cancellation process. GOOD LUCK with it... This is for a lousy $33 but for me, it is about the principle of the matter. I don't care if it is $5.

After what I was going through, I KNEW there had to be massive complaints just like mine online, and sure enough, there is and after reading them, I realize there are many of you like me that just want to live in a world of decent morals and principles and when it is not happening, we have to do what we can to stop it.

Shame on LA Fitness for screwing people!

ANGRYCUSTOMER31 Jul 31, 2009

This is the WORST company. I have tried repeatedly to cancel my membership via their online form (that isn't printable). I've tried 3 different computers, and I cannot print the cancellation form. I've called their office repeatedly without a returned call, and I've contacted my local club, only to be told their Operations Manager was not in. I had the same problem about 2 years ago when I was being OVERCHARGED for my personal training membership for about a year. This company is a nightmare

• Da
    Dawn McLaughlin Jul 26, 2009

I am writing because I have tried numerous times to cancel my accounts with LA Fitness since May 5, 2009. I canceled 3 accounts 5048794, F4782853 & F5623521. I printed the form from online and sent it in and they Charged me again in late June. They requested atleast 20 days and I did that. I paid in May which is what should have happened and they charged me again in June. Now they continue to call my home and tell me I have a balance and that my accounts are not canceled. I do not know what else to do. They make cancellations impossible and constantly call my home. I would like to be refunded for June and want a letter from them stating all 3 of my accounts are canceled.

ann Jun 09, 2009

This is the worst and most bizarre company. I too have had nothing but problems with LA fitness, and their trainers. More times than not, the trainer was fired, quit, or called in sick, and they would never call and let me know. I sent them a letter to cancel the membership, and of course they claim they did'nt receive it. I sent a second letter, this time certified, they signed for it, and sent me a cancellation via email. However, I still had to make one more payment with them, since they did'nt receive it 20 days in advance. I went to my bank, cancelled my accounts, and opened new ones. That is the only way
    you can block an automatic debit. I went to the gym on Saturday, and made a cash payment, and also got a receipt. At first the girl at the counter said she could'nt print a recpt, so I had her write one out. Monday, I get a call from corporate, gal name Allison, and she said she saw that I made a final payment by cash, and that she needed a valid credit card to have on file. I said why, I am no longer a member, have received a conformation of cancellation, why would they need a credit card..she got very pushy, and said its their policy, , , again, , , I said why? Its paid for, and cancelled...there is no way I am giving you anything else, ..there was a long silence, and then I relized she had hung up.

• Ha
    hatelafitness May 12, 2009

LA fitness is the biggest SCAM BAG!!!

My son was persuaded to join their membership to play basket ball, the sales person in Atlantic Station (Atlanta GA) told us that all the good things to trick us to join. When he tried to use the facility, it's always full of people, there is no way he can play there on weekends. He wants to cancel the membership 1 week after we joined but was told to wait in order to keep 2 months payment worth. When he canceled the membership - jeez, the hardest way to cancel a membership you can think of, they make it almost impossible to go through the trouble for most of people, we were charged the 3rd month fee, which is not what we were told it will happen when we joined.

When I called, the customer service made me wait for 15 mins and said according to the agreement, what agreement???? we will be charged an extra month anyway.

LA Fitness is the world's biggest ###!!

• Je
    Jers Mar 19, 2009

We cancelled our membership over 2 years ago when one of the Pure fitnesses turned into LA fitness. Mine was cancelled, my husbands was not. My husband never even entered the gym when it was LA fitness, nor did he even have a LA fitness card, but they still charged us and said they NEVER recieved the letter, which was mailed at the same time as mine. And as of this morning when I finally got ahold of Damon in the LA office, he said that is was my husbands fault for not checking his bank records and that we are to blame for this. I am so pissed off, it has nothing to do with the money now (even though it would be nice to get 2 years of gym membership back), it has to do with the principal and that they are taking advantage of the public and stealing money. Next step is to report them to the BBB! If anyone has any more ideas, please let me know!

chicarocks123 Mar 04, 2009

my "trainer" has stood me up twice!!! i agreed to a 3 month session and by next month im for surely going to send a cancelation via certified mail to get a head start all the staff is so incredibly rude im disgusted

• Su
    Susan Nov 02, 2008

I had very similar experience on cancel the LA fitness membership. First of all, I have to register on line to get to the cancel form, but I have been registered for 4 days already and I didn't get there email for the code to get into my account. It will delay my time and maybe they can get the chance to charge me one more time. I read your guys email, so I am gonna freeze my account first, go to the gym and get the form by myself and send it out by UPS or FEDEX and make sure they have any excuse. My husband is in LA fitness, and my parents are in 24 fitness, I was thinking which one I should go. L A fitness's service give me this answer. I also had very bad experience with LA fitness's sales and trainer. They don't what they are taking about, and they are too agressive not even care what customer really want. I think we should let other people know that LA fitness need a lot improvment on their customer service. Their boss or manger should know that.

• Ah
    ahmed Sep 19, 2008

7 months I have been trying to cancel my membership, I need help this company is fraud; I even had a medical condition what to do