Complaints & Reviews

KLM Airlinesleast child friendly?

I was traveling from Portland Oregon to Istanbul, Turkey with an Amsterdam connection with my three year old son. My son did great on the Portland - Amsterdam trip, earning compliments from the flight attendants in the PDX flight. However, after nine hours of flight and two hours of wait for the connection, he started to act like a three year old. He fell asleep in his stroller, woke up when boarding, and started crying. I was trying to carry my carry-on bags, deal with the stroller and help my son go inside. The flight attendant greeting passengers into the plane had two questions for me: 1) What is wrong with him? and 2) Are you going to be able to get him under control?

Are you kidding me? People with no kids and no empathy are ending up as flight attendants. You can ask something like "Can I get him anything?" without insulting the kid and the parent at the same time. Needless to say, my son calmed down once we sat down, but I was grouchy the entire trip.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlinesproblem with airline tickets

KLM airlines stay FAR AWAY!

If you dont want to go through problems dont use this stupid airline.
    I paid for a ticket online for my wife and the transaction went through succesfull as per
    E -mial from them and accourding to my bank statement. my wife flew to South America and a week later she was to return they told her this was FRUAD and the ticket is cancelled!

I called them many times and no one could help me all they told me was that i should pay again! they never told me where my money is they don't know? what the hell?
    I have all the proof i paid and they can't tell me what went wrong or have any proof to tell me or show me they never recieved it!
    Im at the moment in Limbo cause my bank said we paid them and they say ..uh there is nothing we can do ! BUY ANOTHER TICKET!

I am so outraged cause that was the best thing they could give me?

I call and call i always get put on hold ofr long long periods! no one calls me back or e mails me!?
    where do i go now! where is my Money and how the hell am i gettng my wife back to london the tickets are so pricey?

I will never never never never use this airline again and i will be telling everyone ofr as long as i can that they should never use this airline!
    I want my money back and i wat them to get my wife back here in London!

They have terrible after service and just want your money dont trust them! thieves!!!

KLM Airlinesloss of baggage

i flew on your airline from accra, ghana, through amsterdam to detriot then to ohare chicago on the 1st of august 2009.On arrival at detriot i could not find my baggage and so i reported it to the airlines staff.they told me the baggage would be a little late so i should report it when i get to ohare international airport!up till date only one of my baggages has beeen delieverd to me!the other one is still missing.i've only 2weeks left in this country so i need my baggage back!get back to me as soon as possible, thank you!

KLMterrible experience with klm

My name is Diana Moreno Averhoff, and I'd like some guide on an issue occurred in Panama, August 5th of the present year with KLM airlines.

My itinerary was Costa Rica - Panama - Amsterdam - Stockholm. Once I arrived in Panama, my flight with Copa Airlines was a little bit late, however we were quickly located on the gate to take the flight to Amsterdam operated by KLM.

Some questions were made to me, for example where in Sweden I was going, my relationship with the person waiting for me, to which I replied it was a citizen of Sweden and a friend, and they kept on asking if that person was 'only my friend' which I didn't find relevant to answer, and since when I knew him. As long s I'm concerned, that information must be asked once I am on the UE and if it was in Panama it had to be asked by some migratory entity, not the airline itself.

They asked me for an invitation letter, which I had, and they said it was nothing without the copy of the passport of the person who was invited me.
        Also asked me how much money I had. As long as I'm concerned a minimum of 520 Euros is asked, I had more than that amount but they never counted my money and didn't show any interest on helping me. When they insisted I didn't have enough money, I told them I could contact my family if they allowed me so I could get a transfer to my international debit card and once they did (less than 5 minutes) I could show them the funds they were asking for. They denied the help and a phone call.

I understand the requirements to travel to the UE, however they treated me bad, disrespectfully, even laughing and making jokes while I patiently was waiting for some answer and politely answer to all their questions. In your website there's a section where you can enter your origin country, connection country and final destnation and the requirements for the trip are listed. If I enter such information what I get is:

Passport required.
        - Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
        on arrival.

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 3 months:
        - for nationals of Costa Rica;

Additional Information:

- Visitors must hold visible means of support and need to hold
        required documents (i.e., passport and where required, a
        visa) for return or onward journey.

I had all the documents required with me, but even like that, they denied me to take my flight to Amsterdam. That was at 8:05 pm and they didn't provide me any information, an employee came with an offer of some hotel, they didn't even say they would cover the transportation, and said I had to pay for the hotel, which to my opinion, was not a thing I had to pay for, since I was traveling with all I needed. They denied everything that they could help me with, including to provide me with a fax number or an email where my contact in Sweden could send the scanned copy of their passport that they were requiring from me.

They blamed the other airline when I replied it wasn't my whole fault what was happening, and told me that next day I had to talk to Information on the airport at 7 am, and they said their shift was over, I had to look for them on a coffee shop because they left me sitting on the waiting room without saying anything to me. Told me they would be back next day at 2 pm but that I could find personnel at the airport around 10 am, which wasn't true, since next day I asked and I got informed that they were there around 6pm, because they only operated the Amsterdam flight.

I asked for some written document if they wanted to send me back to my country, to specify the reason why, they said there was nothing they could do if I didn't know about the rules to enter the UE, to which I replied I had knowledge of them, one of the ladies asked me very impolitely if this was my first travel.
        They all were very rude to me, and I don't understand, if I am a customer on that airline, at least I deserve a concrete explanation and a little bit of help, because after all I'm the person paying for their services.

They knew my ticket was non refundable or subject to changes, however they told me I could fly next day if I had all that they asked me for, I don't understand why they lied to me. I got that information when I called the KLM offices in Panama, a lady tried to help me but said that my ticket was blocked with a note saying that I had incomplete documentation. I was stuck for 24 hours to hear that in the end. And the day before they even had taken my boarding pass and told me to go sleep to a hotel, knowing if they had my boarding pass it means I'm not able to come back to the airport later, however, an officer got my boarding pass back and gave it to me. I didn't have any idea of where my baggage was, they didn't help me at all.

I'm very disappointed, because after all I had to pass through on a country which wasn't mine, under their "rule" saying I had to pay $250 for staying in Panama because of their fault which in the end I found out I didn't have to pay, I came back to my country thanks to the help of Copa Airlines, they didn't charge any fee to me because they said I had a ticket back for August 20th and I was able to use it to come back on that day.
        When I came to my country I discovered that KLM in Panama said that the reason I couldn't travel was because I didn't have a ticket back, which was an absolute lie. Since I had my ticket with me and I still have it here as a proof I acquired a round trip.

I expect an answer from them, because I believe I have been victim of an abuse from part of the personnel of their airline. They promote on their website that
        "Compensation for flight disruptions and denied boarding: at KLM, we pride ourselves on providing a punctual, reliable service to all our passengers. If your flight is overbooked, canceled or delayed, you may be entitled to compensation"
        So I hope I can get a prompt answer to my very bad experience, because I know they are a big airline and they should also give their customers support.

• Pi
            Piet KLM Feb 05, 2010

KLM is one big disaster! And it is getting worse and worse, they all behave like nothing is wrong. It is increadible. This one used to be one of the best airlines!

KLMgross incompetence

On a recent flight to Cyprus, flown by KLM to Prague and then Czech Airlines to Cyprus, my partner's ticket was checked by the KLM people before boarding. only later to be sent back to Holland because the Czech Airlines stewardess in Prague, the official partners of KLM by the way, said she couldn't read the Dutch on his official papers (he is a foreigner, staying legally in The Netherlands with all the correct papers for it).

KLM have done absolutely nothing about it, saying that they have contracts with their partners making them responsible for dealing with claims. All very cute: take the money, and when things go wrong, leave the customer stranded.

Needless to say, Czech Airlines have not even had the decently to respond to anything I sent. Czech Airlines has always been known in Europe as a third rate airline, but as a regular KLM passenger, I am extremely disappointed with KLM. Now that they need money, they are making everyone a partner, but beware when things go wrong because you will be stuck with the results.

• Th
              The traveller Jan 14, 2010

I purchased tickets for my girlfriend that was going to fly Moscow-Prague-Amsterdam (Czech airlines) and then Amsterdam-Cancun (Martinair, a wholly owned subsidiary of KLM). First, Martinair surprised me when I called them 4 days before the flight to confirm the departure. I was told that my girlfriend called Martinair and cancelled her flight. She didn't. She couldn't have. She doesn't speak any language besides Russian and we both really wanted to go on that trip. After confirming with her that she did not communicate with Martinair, I contacted the airlines and requested to reinstate the ticket.

Now…, bare with me for a moment… it was hard to have a meaningful conversation with martinair. A Dutch company (martinair) has an office (decision makers) in the USA (that’s where I live!, great!) but… the customers are not allowed to talk to the USA office directly. Instead, the calls go to India, and, I have to talk to someone who never was on a plane or crossed an international border. Very difficult…

My request to reinstate the ticket was denied at first. Then, they promised to conduct an investigation. Then, after two emails (with a promise to initiate litigation process) and about 3 hours on the phone… they agreed to listen to the tapes of the recorded conversation between the operator and the person who cancelled the ticket. Finally, the ticket was reinstated. Martinair never played the tape back to me and refused to provide a copy. Pretty sure they overbooked their flight and were trying to get rid of some passengers that might have been easy targets (not Dutch, not from western Europe).

Then, the departure day came. My girlfriend arrived to Sheremetyevo airport (Moscow) to board her flight to Prague-Amsterdam. But (insert the needle-drag sound here) the Czech Airlines representative told her that she could not fly with them because she does not have Schengen visa. This is a total nonsense because transit passengers from Russia do not need Schengen visa. Using logic with the Czech Airlines representative and referring to official documents did not help. Furthemore, the incompetent representative told me on the phone (and in a rude manner too) “I, as a representative of Czech Airlines, have a right to deny flight to anyone and that’s what I’m going to do”. I had to urgently buy another ticket online (thank you Internet!) so that my girl can get to Amsterdam and catch her flight to Cancun. The rest of the trip worked out fine and she did arrive to Cancun but it only happened because (1) I was always on the phone, (2) was willing to pay more, (3) had great experience in travel and (4) dealt with incompetent people before. Project management and legal training paid off!! So, what happened there? Just the stupidity of the representative or was the flight overbooked and they were getting rid of easy targets? If they don’t return the money for new ticket I am going to sue them. Then, they will have to reveal their booking records under subpoena and, if they indeed overbooked, they will not be able to get away with just the ticket refund.

An attempt to contact Czech Airlines with complaints and ticket refund failed when I tried to use their online form. Then I called the European office and they gave me fax# in Czech republic. Haven’t heard from them yet. My advice to you: stay away from KLM, Martinair, Czech Airlines and anything that’s associated with them.

• Do not use Czech Airlines if you can at all avoid it. They are rude, very very rude. All complaints go unanswered. They overcharged me for my ticket and when I asked for refund of the excess - simply told me to speak to my bank. I had no further replies from their Customer Service even though I was promised a reply.

Under no circumstances buy a ticket with them over the phone. Because apparently the money is taken out of US in US dollars even though on the phone they sell you tickets in your local currency, which is British Pounds in my case and then you get done on the exchange rate. This is absolutely outrageous considering that during my telecon with Czech Airlines operator I asked him at least twice maybe even three times to confirm, which amount I am paying. Lo and behold when I checked my balance it was more.

I am outraged by this conduct, which is absolutely illegal. Do not under any circumstances use this awful airline.

• Ta
              Tadeyev Mar 15, 2010

Alas it is not only Czech Airlines; I find it even worse that KLM sell you a KLM ticket, make you fly Czech Airlines, then leave you in the dump when something goes wrong.
              Had similar problems, I paid KLM for the flight, not Czech Airlnes and was told to contact them when there was trouble.
              No answers, nothing.
              Avoid Czech Airlines at any cost is my concurring advice with this post above.

• Ve
              Venom80 Oct 08, 2010

I am also very disappointed with Czech airlines. Last April (2010) me and my boyfriend saw an offer on the internet for flights to Prague so thought it was a great opportunity for our dream summer holiday. We went online and tryed to book seats but had some trouble there so we called the offices in our country and said we had some trouble and needed help. The lady said that there was no problem with there program and refused to make the booking for us. Said we had to do it ourselves. We even called in Prague and asked for help but nothing from there either. Anyway after many attempts a couple of days later we managed to book a flight. We had a responce saying that our card was authorised and waiting for ticketing. A few days later another email came in with the flight itenerary saying thank you for booking online. That was in April and our trip was end of july. Silly us (we thought we could trust them) the moment to go was near and we didn't think we should confirm our seats so we arrived at the airport at 1:30 in the morning and completely freaked out when we heared the check in lady say we had no tickets. We started complaining and she sent us to a desk to ask. There the girls said that we had no tickets because they were never issued. The papers we had were not our tickets and the company although they first took the money from the card they returned it witout any notice or explanation. So we ended up buying two last minute very expencive tickets ( double to what we had booked) on the last two seats of the flight, thats ironic don't you think? We though of not going but we had already booked and paid both hotels in C.Z.
              Well of course after coming back we made a complaint that took them ages to answer and again of course it wasn't there fault or the systems and they were sorry for our inconvenience.
              UNRELIABLE, INCABABLE, RUDE AND WITH TERRIBLE SERVICE. DON'T FLY CZECH

• Mh
              MHDYASSIN ALNAJJAR Jan 10, 2011

We enclose acopy of the complaint we send to your damascus office [protected] un fortunatly we have not reseived any reply
              kindly check the inclosed complaint and let us have your reply soonest possible
              regards
              yassin najjar

• Bi
              Bikinggirl Oct 31, 2013

I flew on Czech Airlines back in June. My bag was lost. The airline promised they would call the next day to give me the status of the bag. They never did. Seeing that I was traveling, I had to call from my hotel (phone costs are expensive!). It took Czech Airlines 5 days...FIVE DAY!...to locate and return my bag. When I submitted receipts for the items I had to buy, they dedicted the costs for the phone calls I had to make to them and then charged me an additional $20 to return my money to me! I emailed the more than 10 times about this issue and keep getting, "Sorry, but our bank charges us $20 to pay you electronically, so we pass that cost along to you, and we don't reimurse phone calls that you had to pay for even through we were incompetent and did not call you as promised". So frustrating. If you fly Czech Arilines, never check a bag. I basically had to pay $40 of my own money to get my luggage returned to me 5 days after my flight. Customer satisfaction is not a priority for them.

KLMoverweight baggage fee

I called KLM asking for details about the baggage allowance for my flight, KL878 from Taipei to Amsterdam, and the representative told me that an extra piece of luggage could be brought for $50. When arriving at the airport, I was told that the baggage allowance is only 20kg and that each additional kg costs 30 euro!! That makes for a total of 800 us dollars! This is absurd! I would have planned accordingly if I had known about the weight limit and the cost of additional baggage!!! What can I do?

KLMlost item in the luggage

On Wednesday, April 15 at 3:00pm (Rome time) Me and my wife checked in at KLM counter in Rome Airport (Fiumicino) for flight KL1604 (FCO-AMS) and KL809 (AMS-CGK). On Thursday, April 16 at 5:15 pm (WIB) we finally arrived at CGK – Jakarta (Soekarno-Hatta Airport). Felt very exhausted after long hours flight, we have waited for all our luggage only to find out that they did not show up. Felt desperately and anxious we reported our problem to the airport staff. Then we found out that our luggage data were input wrongly by KLM staff in Rome Airport’s check in counter. The names was stated Baldini, the gentlemen who we assume checked in before us and our flight was stated KL 1604& KL 753 and was sent to country/ state of UIO which it suppose to be KL 1604& KL 809 to CGK.<br />
              <br />
              That night end up really exhausted physically and mentally for us. As KLM customer, we are very disappointed with the experience we have to endure. On Sunday, our luggage was sent back to us by KL809 :17.15 but we have to wait until 00.30am on Tuesday to receive our luggage. What really disappointed us, our luggage arrived in such bad condition. The zipper were opened and we lost Handphone HTC Touch Pro and Swatch Watch (total lost value of Rp.12.000.000, -).<br />
              <br />
              Our complaint was responded by KLM Jakarta on May 5, 2009 ( 20 days after our complain was submitted), very slow respond for a lost of material case. Can we imagine if this is about an injury case. The respond from KLM Jakarta were disappointed us deeply. They refuse to compensate for our lost and only about to send a sorry email.. Is this a kind of responsibility from European Airline? Big name in Europe does not guarantee we were being treated with fairness as a customer.<br />
              <br />
              Such error should not be happening especially for KLM, a well known international airline company. After this incident we not recommend to use KLM service ever again. KLM carelessness has caused desperation and anxiety for us. Nobody should never have bad experience that we have.

KLMno customer care

KLM have no regard for their customers.

My son was travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Aberdeen via Amsterdam on a late night flight. We got him to the airport in good time, he checked in in good time, he was at the departure gate - in good time.

But there was a message on the TV monitor at the gate saying a KLM flight to Amsterdam had a change of gate. All a bit confusing apparantly so he spoke to a member of staff who said yes, he should go to this other gate a train ride away, which he did.

Turns out KLM have two flights going to Amsterdam at much the same time and it was the other one that had a gate change, not his, staff person wrong. My son missed his flight.

KLM could not have done less if they had tried. Total disinterest.

Best airport KLM staff would offer was to say he should turn up for tnext day's flight which was fully booked - if there was a cancellation they would let him on for 400Euros. All KLM staff then disappeared for the night.

He phoned us so we called KLM trying to work out how to get him home. Staff on the phone not interested, said their records showed he had not even checked in and just said we'd have to buy a new ticket. Very unhelpful made no suggestions, no 'how unfortunate, let's see what can we do to help, '

Because of work commitments, my son needed to get back to the UK urgently.

According to the internet there were seats on the other KLM flight for the next night. It turns out that flight is operated by Air Malaysia which is probably why KLM staff never mentioned this as a possibility.

My son had been told the KLM office opened again at 8.30am so he decided to stay at the airport to either bag a cheap cancellation seat or, as they were saying he would have to do, purchase a new ticket.

KLM office did not open at 8.30! Not open till 3pm.

Thankfully I had gone to the airport to fetch him. And fortunately the airport information desk were quite helpful and gave us number for KLM office in the city. So we went there and at first they just said tonight's flight fully booked so nothing they could do - again no hint of human compassion for a very upsetting situation.
                In fact, the woman made sneering comment that Ross's original ticket was the cheapest possible, so they could not help in any way.
                I explained Ross needed to get home urgently but they still didn't mention the other flight.
                Only when I said there were seats on the other flight she said yes there were but he would need to buy a new ticket costing 5, ooo RM /£1000 not a penny less!

Perhaps KLM had no part in my son being sent to the wrong gate, but as a young man who could become a valued customer, he was shown no customer care whatsoever.

Meanwhile, Malaysian Airline staff did their very best to be helpful while he was at the airport - tried hard to find a routing that would get him back to the UK on time, allowed him to recharge his phone at their desk, were sympathetic and kind.

• Dm
                    DMoreno Aug 11, 2009

KLM should be sued, it seems that's their strategy, lying about schedules and being utterly impolite.

• Pe
                    Peter Parsons Nov 07, 2010

Shortly after taking off we were served drinks and a small packet of almonds. I did not see any ingredients listed, and I ate the nuts. Later I did see that almost invisible were the ingredients, which included MSG (E621) "flavor enhancer and a couple of other enhancers as well. MSG is a known "excitotoxin" and has been found to cause brain damage. I talked with two pursers who said that MSG was no problem as it was such a small quantity. He also said that KLM's science department and the food staff felt that MSG was a good additive. I was shocked and terribly disappointed. Later I also noted that the flight staff was cheerfully offering oriental noodles to the passengers. Once again, the noodles are not the problem (as were not the almonds), it is the paket that comes with the noodles--again containing MSG. I realize that the Filipinos are culturally fond of this product and it is found in nearly all Filipino restaurants. But it is still a POISON. At least you should let your passengers know what you are giving them. My sincere hope is that the food you cook and serve on your flights contains NO MSG. I cannot express to you the disappointment and surprise at my discoveries on this flight. As well as at the inept manner of response by your pursers. The subject of Aspartame in "light" beverages was brought up too. This is yet another neural toxin; I am sure that by now most people already know they are choosing this. In terms of MSG, the public awareness is not at that level yet, and I note that usually when MSG is added (as in your "delicious bites" packets) the ingredients are either printed so small they cannot be read, or nearly invisibly as in the case of the almonds. [Google excitoxins if you do not believe me. KLM, purporting to be so "green" and of the first world, should not condone the presence of MSG or other excitoxins in the food it prepares. Unless you are purposely and cynically catering to the tastes of the migrant workers who make up the majority of your passenger load. Is this your new cuisine motto: "A little bit of brain damage is good!"?] This is written to KLM but they willnot let me email it to them. Flight KL803 Amsterdam to manila on Oct. 26, 2010.

KLM Airlinesworst customer service

I recently booked a flight with KLM to travel from Barcelona to Amsterdam. On the day of my departure my roommate fell extremely ill and I had to rush him to the hospital with an dangerously high fever. Knowing full well I had this flight to catch I departed from the hospital as soon as he was settled into a room and arrived at the airport 33 minutes before my flight. I was behind a couple in line you for about 5 to 10 minutes before I was allowed to check in. Mind you there was only one check in booth open at the time. Because there was now a little less than 30 minutes before my flight I was turned away and told the flight was filled with waitlisted individuals and there was no longer room for myself. I was then directed towards the ticket booth to discuss my options. The woman there told me that even if I was to book a new one way ticket with a different airline my return flight was also no longer valid because of my supposed late arrival for my departure. I was also told that standby on a later flight was not an option for me and then only way I could get to my destination was by paying an extra 276 euro. As I was doing all this I was on the phone with my friend who was also on the same flight and had already checked in and he was telling me how they still have yet to even board the plane and the gate wasn't anywhere near to being open. When I contacted KLM customer service via telephone I was hung up on in the middle of explaining to them my situation with my ill friend. Because of this I suggest that you beware when purchasing a ticket with this company and understand that they put their giant corporation above any customer no matter what.

KLM — lost luggage

WE CHECKED LUGGAGE (TWO GREEN DUFFLE BAGS) IN WINDHOEK NAMIBIA ON JANUARY 21 2009. BRITISH ÅIRWAYS...

KLMinconvenience/luggage/delay/missed connections

missedconnection in Amsterdam for Moscow due to delay in first flight Brussels-Amsterdam, he took following flightthis meant he missed another flight in the evening to Magnetagorsk, as he had a press conference, a presentation and a Master class, where he was the speaker in all of these events, therefore he had to take the only available alternative flight to Cherliabinsk a city 400 km away followed by a 4hr Taxi drive in Siberian December weather & temperatures, he arrived at destination a day after leaving Brussels.
                    Baggage did not arrive in Moscow with him, three flights after his arrival, at this point he was already in Magnetagorsk, In Moscow they inform him that they cannot forward it because he is a foreigner and must pick up himself in Moscow, by the time he is back in Moscow he will no longer need his luggage or have time to look for it as he will be returning to Italy
                    The Inconvenience that has come from this is enormous, the unhelpfulness found in Amsterdam at transit desk where he didn't speak English and the gentleman representing you refused to talk to me on mobile was very disappointing, he therefore was unable to explain that he could only go onto Moscow if he was sure to reach final destination otherwise he would return home, the gentleman behind the desk just kept repeating in his face Moscow or Italy, not being able to communicate meant he had no choice but to fly to Moscow and hope for the best! I therefore require that at least in this final part of his journey back to Italy you will avoid him having to miss work to go and find his luggage in Moscow and then have to re-check it in (if he finds it).
                    he had to buy clothes for the three days of business meetings, he had to hold a conference without any sleep and travelling for about 30 hours and in clothes bought in 30minutes, He had to buy a new flight to Cherliabinsk, He had to pay a four hour Taxi drive. The stress and as a result the quality of the press conference, presentation and master class all to be calculated.
                    Customer service on phone:We have contacted Aeroflot 10 times in the last 3 days, but have not resolved, KLM customer service tells us all they can do is advise to contact Aeroflot !, surely KLM is responsable??!

• Sh
                        shantanu dey May 30, 2009

I have had similar experience with KLM. My first flight was delayed by more than 2 hours, missed the second flight. They did not even give any hotel accommodation and instead threatened me. Finally thy put me up on a 20 hour stretch to fly a distance which normally takes 8 hours.
                        They refused any compensation.

KLM is the worst imaginable airlines and it is better to avoid them at all costs.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines — refund my airport taxes

I booked a return ticket about 2 months ago which I never used. Due this I asked the KLM to refund me with...

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines — klm refuses to pay refund

June 27 I make a booking for a return flight AMS-GENEVA, using a gift card of € 100 and paying the...

KLMstewardess

Dear KLM Authority,
                      For the past 15 years, I have had the opportunity to travel abroad to attend medical conventions or to have vacations. I have used the KLM Royal Dutch Airlines quite a number of times. Your airline services are satisfactory to good. I have had no reason to complain before.

Let me relate an incident which happened during our last flight abroad. Last October 9, 2008, my other medical colleagues and I left Tegel Airport, Berlin, Germany to return to the Philippines. The first leg of our journey was Berlin, Germany to Amsterdam. We were on the KLM Flight 1822 which left Tegel at 1020am. My handcarry was a knapsack which was a laptop case. It had my laptop, notebook cooler and other important computer accessories in it. This handcarry was placed in a safe position in the luggage bin. It follows that this can only be removed by the owner or upon permission of the owner. It is not removed to give way to other larger handcarried items of other passengers who are late. What happened was that my knapsack/laptop bag was removed by a KLM stewardess who wanted to place a larger piece of luggage in it's former location. She carelessly placed it in front of another handcarried bag because the luggage bin was quite full. As a result of this thoughtless action, my handcarry containing my laptop and other accessories fell. It would have fallen to the floor if it did not fall against the arm of the chair and later caught by a fellow passenger. It contained a very sensitive machine which could have been irreparably damaged. I told the stewardess to give my handcarry back to me if she could not put it in a safe place.

I tried to get the name of that stewardess but she was never visible after this incident. All I know is that she is a brunette who rarely smiles.

This complaint is being submitted inorder to avoid similar accident. Please reply at the soonest possible time.

• Rj
                          r j howard Feb 07, 2010

why is KLMcustomer service, only open from 12 -4 pm if you can get through, & get some one to answer the phone ?, why does whoever answers say KLM CUSTOMER SERVICE - but never give their name ?
                          before, they would only say customer service, not mentioning you were talking to KLM
                          if you write the reply is a form letter no name just a scribble, they used to better, and at one time flying dutchman had a uk office run by awonderful woman called sarah pawsey (nee imms) who would acknowledge your letter, call ask you to be patien as she would deal with it .
                          she would run rings around the present agents and loose the managers who are supposed to be in charge of this departmant .
                          customer (dis) service

KLMlost bagage

Me and my families travelled from edmonton IAP -Canada to Addis ababa IAP -Ethiopia on Jun 16, 2008 and checked 10 luggages but received only 9 luggages, we were told, they are going to track the luggage then we will contact you, after waiting for amonth and half they called us to come to check in the lost and found room we did but our luggage wasn`t there. After all this happened they gave us a pice of paper to get a claim form, when we went to the klm office and one of the lady in the office told us to go to the ticket counter, when we ask we were told go to the pre boarding lobby we will bring up there which thy didn`t, when we asked again before boarding then again told us we will bring you inside the plane which they didn`t. The last question was in Amsterdam then again no solution it was over.

KLMlost bagage

I wish to express my dissatisfaction with the compensation of the amount CNY2500.

I expect that you understand for what I’ve lost in the luggage and the inconvenience caused is priceless and if I were given a chance I would not want a single cent but my luggage back.

You could say sorry, compensate a certain amount of money in the doubt that I may given you an illegitimate exaggeration and/or false claim, explaining that you’ve done so called extensive tracing but it is fruitless while still hoping that I may choose your flights to restore the confidence.

Unfortunately, what I could do is claiming what I should get as a responsibility to myself and my friends and family who facing a lost of their supposed-to-have gifts and souvenirs. I hope you understand that in the case of returning home country after so many years stays at oversea, my luggage would have tons of memorable stuffs and carefully-selected gifts that money can’t buy.

I don’t even understand why my luggage will lost at the first place. What is the problem for your sides to losing not only mine but some of the others customers’ luggage as well? When the loss is in such a quantity, what have all these giant size and giant weight luggages gone? Would it possible all of the luggages just disappear in the air? I expect that a systematic tracing can help in this issue but I was given an answer that “despite extensive tracing actions in an attempt to recover your luggage, our efforts have so far proved fruitless”.

Personally, I hope you could spare a second to think of the reason you keep a receipt. You should ask yourself what is the reason of keeping receipts before your defensive mechanism assertion that it is me who unable to provide you with the receipts. In common sense, we all keep receipts for refund, exchange or record. In my case, I am definitely would not think of keeping a receipt for refund and exchange purpose since I know I am leaving the country for good. In other words, I will throw away most of my receipts unless those I want to keep for record purpose. If I’ve keep the very limited numbers of receipts left carefully but yet fail to submit together with the previous letter just because that my receipts were inside that lost luggage. Can a sensible adult like you, tell me is that my fault or your fault?

It’s not my expectation that I will lose my luggage. In other words, it is not my expectation that a well-known airline like KLM Royal Dutch Airlines could have losing its customer’s luggage and simultaneously being unreasonably difficult in tracing and providing a good feedback in regards to the loss.

What seem offensive to me is in the consent letter you wrote “If the payment is done by way of compensation for the loss, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines will have a lien on the goods and relevant documents, receipts etc”. Would this mean KLM always prefer to keep its customer’s belonging when it had lawfully compensate its customer rather than kindly inform the customer that the lost item was found? Why what your side have proposed and explaining seem so legally illegal to me?

I am sorry too that I am definitely not accepting the compensation. I believe sorry is always easy to say but that are cases that we all know sorry not cure. I again reasonably expect what a lay-man expects to receive your reply as soon as possible for this complaint letter rather than a compensation claim letter.

Thank you!

• Ar
                              Ariel R. Saballa Feb 14, 2010

I am Ariel R. Saballa, I agree to this kind of complain since i also experienced the same, my luggage was lost a month ago i am a seaman and i am about to join ship, last Jan. my flight schedule was:
                              10/01 kLM O896 Singapore - Amsterdam
                              11/01 KLM 1699 Amterdam - Madrid
                              11/01 KLM 3336 Madrid - Las Palmas

Upon arrival in Las Palmas i am waiting for my luggage but nothing occured and i am very dissapointed and worried since all my things are there specifically my documents which is more important for me, my company sent me back here in the Philippines due to lack of documents i presented during onboard the vessel because some documents was in my luggage.Tell me, who's to be blamed in this kind of situation? But still I am hoping that KLM airlines will help me about my lost luggage.All information regarding my lost luggage was given to KLM office at Las Palmas including the luggage number and after all im hoping for nothing. i can hardly forget this experienced my Job is at stake and so the future of my family. I look up to KLM airlines Please do something for my case if possible will you be able to send my luggage here in the Philippines.Pls. find below attached address if ever you find my luggage.
                              Ariel R.Saballa
                              B.3Lot36 Villa Fidela Subd.
                              Real St.E. Aldana
                              Las Pinas City, Philippines
                              Tel. no. [protected]
                              Mobile no. [protected]

Brdgs,
                              Ariel R. Saballa

• He
                              HenryA Mar 30, 2011

KLM is too bad with responding to bad baggage. I lost my baggage since the 20th of october 2010. They promised to send it to me, till date I have not received anything. I even sent them a letter for compensation with all the receipts of the items in the baggage. they came back this month quoting article 8. I am ready to sue them. My baggage did not contain only perishable items. Klm treats customers without respect.

KLM — delayed baggage

Arriving at Norwich at 21:30 on Friday 29th August, my bag did not arrive. Reported and filled in a PIR. I...

Great Yarmouth

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines — klm denied me a ticket

I bought a roundtrip ticket from Chicago to Mumbai (India) via Amsterdam for Feb 12 2008. I missed my first...

KLM Royal Dutch Airlinesdelayed baggage

My mother arrived by KLM Royal Dutch Airlines on 8/8/2008 and one of her baggage was missing. It's been 6 days since we filed the complaint, which was the day she arrived, and there has been absolutely no response from KLM. We've left multiple voice messages at their number [protected] but to no avail.

• Ca
                                Caroline Aug 22, 2008

I would not be surprised with KLM on this one. They left us in Italy with out our luggage for 3 days of a 5 day trip. When I tried to call the klm handling agent all I got was an answerphone or an Italian who could not talk to me becasue he couldn't speak English and my level of Italian was not good enough to explain my enquiry easily. I think this airline is a joke. Good luck to your mother with getting her baggage.

KLMexpired food

On my flight KL 0893 from Amsterdam to Shanghai on 3rd of August I was served expired food. The breakfast was actually served on the morning of 04 August and the expiry date was 02 August. I do have the breakfast box as evidence with expiry dates and flight related details printed on it. This caused me inconvinience and is a potential lawsuit as I do have all the evidence with me. I did inform the flight incharge and the KLM check - in counter in Shanghai upon arrival in Shanghai.

I would like KLM to compensate me for this inconvinience by at least providing me five free round trip tickets to Amsterdam from Shanghai or else I would bring KLM in the court of law which could potentially lead to a much larger claim

• Kw
                                  Kweh Oct 16, 2008

While it is somewhat odd to have a two-day old breakfast being served, was the food itself actually and/or visibly off? Perhaps the label was incorrect or faded. It really doesn't sound like much of an inconvenience; why did you not just ask for a different breakfast or point this out to a flight attendant? I fail to see how this can be made into a lawsuit, especially seeing that you were not harmed in any way.

Furthermore, FIVE free roundtrip from Amsterdam to Shanghai for a mildly off breakfast!? That's very excessive! I don't see that happening; I'm guessing that's quite an expensive trip, and I doubt that an airline will spent several thousand dollars on a single passenger who was not satisfied with his meal. I would expect something more along the lines of a written apology and/or a duty-free or drinks voucher, at most.

I'm sure you don't mean it this way, but this sounds less like a complaint and more like an attempt to get free stuff from a big airline.

• Si
                                  siyan Dec 01, 2008

hahahahahahahahahaha

are you fcuking serious!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I think you should win the prize for biggest [censored].

• Go