John F. Kennedy International Airport / JFK Airport / unhelpful personnel during power outage
Last Friday (5/10), my friend and I arrived at JFK after a 9 hour flight from Budapest. We are both petite women in our 60's. We had a 5 hour layover before our flight to SFO. Because our luggage was not sent on through to SFO, we had to retrieve it and recheck it in for our next flight.
Unfortunately, to do this meant going up one level with one heavy suitcase each, plus one carryon. To our dismay, all elevators and escalators were shut down. I knew we would struggle mightily trying to get those suitcases up the escalator and started asking any airport employee I saw for a solution. Nobody cared. Nobody stopped to help as I struggled to pull my suitcase up. I was incredulous as people stood around watching me almost kill myself. My lower back is still sore from the ordeal.
It would have taken less than a minute for someone to step up and assist me and my friend, but nobody cared. They just walked on by. I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in people than I was that day.
I'm sure I'm not the only person who struggled that day. There was a woman in a wheelchair who nobody bothered to help either.
You might want to tell your employees that it's okay to stop and help people once in a while! New York already has a reputation as an indifferent place. You had the opportunity to change that and failed miserably.
Thanks for letting me vent.
More John F. Kennedy International Airport / JFK Airport Complaints & Reviews
- JFK International Airport - jfk employees incredibly rude 
- JFK Airport NYC Baggage Handlers - stealing 
- JFK Airport - stolen items from checked bags 
- JFK Airport - fun zone rip off
- JFK Airport - theft 
- John F. Kennedy International Airport / JFK Airport - touts walking freely in front of arrival terminal.
- John F. Kennedy International Airport / JFK Airport - directing customs line for border patrol
- John F. Kennedy International Airport / JFK Airport - bad treatment
- John F. Kennedy International Airport / JFK Airport - inhumane treatment of person with disability
- John F. Kennedy International Airport / JFK Airport - very nasty behavior of staff