J Crewcollecting a debt

I'm extremely frusrated with this debt collector!!! I have dealt with this bank many times before and never have i had the same rep everytime i have called. He continues to be rude, condisending, disrespectful and not willing at all to listen. I've tried numersous times to explain to him how i would like to pay my debt to j.Crew but have no money to do so!! My husband and i lost our small business in september, i work partime and he and i are looking non-stop for jobs!! This guy or this bank doesn't seem to understand what it means when i say i want to pay this off but can't pay the amount they are asking for monthly!! I talked to a very nice gentleman in september and he gave me an option to pay 41.00 a month for 3 months and it would be drafted from my checking account, they drafted it only once and now are basically calling me a liar that this is not what happended. They want me to pay 175.00 a month for 12 months and i have explained to them or him over again i cannot afford to do this. I can pay 50.00 a month but he says he will have to take further action...The bank will come after me. What does that mean??? I owe 1, 200 dollars to jcrew and this guy says they are coming after me!! I have been working on for months now with my mortgage company to save my home and they have been absolutlely wonderful, i owe them 204, 000 dollars. So, do you see my frusration?? Who do they really think they are and why do they feel thay have to be so intimidating to get what they want. Did his mother not teach him consideration!! Be nice you might get what you need!! I would love to give them some money but i can only do what i can only do!!

• Re
    reticulata Nov 09, 2009

I am in a similar situation but in my case we're talking $200, 00 plus in credit cards, credit lines, loans, personal guarantees, etc. mostly due to my business. I lost my construction company at the end of last year (2008). We have received upwards of 20 phone calls per day since then, to the point we turned the phone off. For awhile I returned calls and explained my situation but I finally got tired of telling the same story to the same as well as different people. My wife also got laid off last March after 32 years with the same company. I have many judgments against me and more coming. i have taken the stance with everyone that we are unemployed with no income so do what you have to do. Also we will be filing for bankruptcy when I can get an extra $2, 500. which doesn't look like anytime soon. The bank may get a judgment against you but you need assets for them to collect. If you are unemployed they can't attach your wages. I doubt that for $1, 200 they will force a sale on your home especially if you don't have much in the way of equity. Same goes for you autos. If you have a brand new car with a lot equity that might be a problem but it sounds as if you don't. The bottom line is do they want to spend a bunch of money going after you for $1, 200? They will eventually in all likelihood turn you over to a collection agency and the harassment will continue for months. But same thing. Do you have assets? If they get a judgment against you they will have to find out who you work for and eventually they probably will. My suggestion is to send a small paymeny every month and if they except it for two or three months it will set a precedence. That will show they are willing to accept your cooperation and will make it a little more difficult to lower the hammer on you. Also somewhere along the line the bank or collection agency will offer to seffle for maybe even more than 50% and accept payments. Remember we are in tough times and a lot of people are in the same boat as you. Doesn't make it a happy time but creditors know they are on an up hill battle. May things turn out well for you and others. There was a book written called "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff". This is small stuff in the big picture of life.