[Resolved] Inteliusunauthorized charges

J

I did a search online (once) on Intelius' website and I only authorized $6.95 to be taken off my credit card and they took that ($6.95) PLUS 19.95 which was unauthorized. When you do a one-time search, you're automatically put into a year long program (called membership), where they'll take 19.95 off your credit card every month -- BUT THEY DON'T TELL YOU THIS WHEN YOU DO THE SEARCH. You never authorize it. You don't discover it until you check your credit card balance and transactions and then you learn it. You can call customer service and complain and it'll be credited back to you and the "membership" cancelled -- but it VERY DEVIOUS AND FRAUDULENT that they do this without your consent. No where on their website does it show that you become a member and will be charged $19.95 a month (starting immediately). Their practice is devious and fraudulent. I can't believe they haven't been shut down.

• Intelius's response · Oct 23, 2009

It sounds like you have accepted a third party company’s offer that is advertised on the Intelius website. If you no longer wish to be enrolled in that third party company’s service, please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you.

• Intelius's response · Feb 14, 2011

Please call 888-445-2727 Monday to Friday from 5am to 8pm and Saturday from 6am to 4:30pm. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

• Resolution Statement

Jack Baumgartner Aug 28, 2008

Unauthorized billing. on 8/4 for 9.90. was billed 19.95 0n 8/11 and called. Was credited for that.

• He
    Helen Buccilli Sep 22, 2008

I have not subscriped to intelius i have va charge of 19.95 on my credit card staymenet please remove me from the subscription at once my name is Helen Buccilli email is [email protected] i think you run a loosy operation i was on the phone holding for an hour how do you expect people to get hold of someone i would not want to belong to anything like this when you can;t get help from no one im contacting my credit card company to not except any bill from use ty for nothing

• Valerie Sep 23, 2008

I did a background check with Intelius and they gave me a subscription for $19.95/mo for identity protection! A service I never asked for, never authorized!!! THEY ARE STEALING from consumers! Then they make you wait 20 minutes on hold so they hope you hang up! I am disgusted! I am calling the better biz bureau! How can someone charge you for a service never purchased/authorized, etc... Please beware of these scams and the only reason i chose them was because they were the first to come up under search engines. I hope they get what is coming to them.

• Cl
    Cliff Post Sep 23, 2008

I ordered a $2.95 search and was charged for that plus $19.95 for services never ordered. Please refund and unsubscribe. Thanks.

• Ki
    kim smith Sep 24, 2008

There is a way to get them to talk to you sooner. When they put you on "hold": hang up and hit the "redial" button. Keep doing that until someone is willing to talk to you. I used this method on YourSavingsClub.com where their phone system is automated with no menu selection to talk with a real live person. After hitting the redial button on the 100th call; a real live person answered!

Someone WILL talk to you when it becomes apparent that you are making it too expensive for them to avoid you. Since it is a "toll-free" number: they pay for the call. I estimate my 100+ hang-up calls cost them $100.00.

Just pay attention when the system answers. When it is the computer; hang up and redial. Do that as often as it takes to get someone to talk to you. Believe me: SOMEONE WILL.

GOOD LUCK

MARGARET MARTINEZ Oct 14, 2008

My credit card was charges 3 times for protective services which i never authorized. I need protection from these people charging my credit card $19.95 each time.

• Su
    susan polk Nov 29, 2008

I used this service once and authorized payment of .99$ on my debit card which they deducted. Then they took $19.95 out this month without my authorization. I want to be refunded this amount ASAP and ensure they close use of my debit card. I have not been able to get them on the phone. Thank you. Susan Polk

• Jb
    J. Bernard Dec 04, 2008

If this has happened to you go to the better business bureau for Western Washington and Alaska.

Direct link is alaskaoregonwesternwashington.bbb.org then select consumers and file a complaint.

The address for Intelius is 500 108th Ave, NE. Bellevue WA 98004

• Ro
    Roxwell Jan 05, 2009

I used Intelius for one time transaction just to find a person and the tool is very much user-friendly and easy to navigate. The service fee was charged yet I received an additional $20 charge several weeks later saying I have also purchased a 'Identity Protection Package' which I have never authorized this transaction and the order has never shown in my first transaction.

I called the customer service and it took me about an hour to get through; their customer service rep responded my dissatisfaction with 'there's nothing we can do because it comes along with your first people search purchase; therefore we cannot offer any refund.'

The ridiculous thing is, this identity protection has a totally different order number and if what he said is true, why I did NOT see any indication of this additional charge when I purchased their service the first time!?

Their search tool may be useful, but I am very disappointed about how they used my account info and charge me for something I have not been notified or aware of - I consider this almost like a deceit rubbing customers' money & rights.

• To
    Tomie Cummins Jan 06, 2009

I was charged 57.00 for a one time search and then charges for subscription were on my card.I would like to be reimbursed for any extra charges I didnot incure. I want a response asap or I will have my lawyer contact you.Thank you, T.Cummins

• De
    denis beaumont Feb 14, 2009

I used this service once and authorized payment of .99$ on my credit card which they deducted. Then they charged my visa card $19.95 out this month without my authorization. I want to be refunded this amount ASAP and ensure they close use of my visa card. I have not been able to get them on the phone - waiting 20 minutes! I have sent them emails. Thank you.

Denis Beaumont, New Castle, DE 19720

• Rh
    Rhonda Feb 24, 2009

I'm having the exact same problem! I am so angry. I can not get a live person on the phone, or even an automated option to close the account.
    I purchased a report for $2.95 for a friend seaching for her son's birth mother because medical history was needed. I've been charged a total of $ 166.55. This is crazy!!!

• Vi
    vishal Mar 16, 2009

i have been charged for services for which i have never subscribed for i just choose to take information of one individual and wrap up .now i want my money back and want to unsubscribe asap.
    vishal
    973 454 0509

• Eg
    Egide Thein May 27, 2009

I had the same experience. Same scam, same problems to contact them

I'm going to do 2 things: aske my Credit card to contest the charges, and complain to FTC.

Egide Thein

• Da
    Dan Wall Jul 20, 2009

I was charged and paid $4.95 for a valid search that I undertook. However, every month thereafter they have been charging me $19.95 for a subscription service that I did not knowingly authorize. And I don't believe that I have ever actually received anything from them for this. Unfortunately for me it's been going on for 6 months before I noticed it. I have asked AMEX to investigate the billing so at least the last 60 days of charges will be reversed. I tried calling them and got the automated message essentialyy saying " your call is very important to us but we are experiencing a lot of call volume and it will take 20 minutes to get to you so please go to our website...click".

Seems like a scam company! The website looks pretty legit. ...management team and credible board. Surprised that they would be associated with this type of practice. Glad I noticed this before the sum of money got to be too large.

• O0
    O0O Sep 06, 2009

I used Intellius for a people search and they didn't comply with service so was suppose to reimburse me for funds, which they did, But then kept charging my checking acct. for something I knew nothing about $19.95 for three months which kept my acct. in the arrears and now will not make right $80.00 to take care of all overdrafts. For Anyone wanting to use this site, I strongly recommend that you don't for they do not live up to their word. I am on a fixed income they took advantage of me I feel.

• Am
    amrinspring Oct 06, 2009

I made 2 purchaeses in September from Intelius $1.95 and $4.95 and then in October, I have two charges from MVQ for $24.95 each.

When I called my credit card company, they transferred me out to MVQ who said it resulted from a membership enrollment through Intelius. I explained that I only made a purchase, I didn't enroll in anything. They said they would cancel my memberships and refund the money. I am very careful when making purchases on the internet. I read everything. I never saw anything during my purchase with Intelius that would have automatically enrolled me in any memberships.

I also filed a complaint with the BBB. The BBB report says they are working with Intelius to make disclosure of these "temporary memberships" more obvious during the purchase process.

• Ro
    Roosty Oct 10, 2009

I needed a phone number and with online search found INTELLIUS. I paid $7.95 to get a number i already had found out was disconnected. Oh well lesson learned $7.95 fee (sigh). A week later I got an email saying I had signed up for service called 24 protect plus and after a free 7 days a charge of $14.95 would be made to my account. Well I called right away got computer and cancelled. This angered me because I had no idea how they had got my email or credit card info. Here I am a week later looking my bank statement and they had already charged me.

I had to get angry on the phone to get a refund. I asked how they got my info, they said when ordering from Intellius I had agreed to accept their trial period. I know I did not. I cannot reach anyone at Intellius to find out why they shared my info. Who can I complain to?

Jack001 Oct 16, 2009

Paid for a one time phone look-up ($1.95) and then using the CR CD number for that service started getting billed $24.95 a month for a "Subscription Service" which was never authorized.

• Ic
    icjr Feb 03, 2011

I have been fighting with these folks for almost a year...they have defrauded my account for at least a year. WHEN I called them and requested a refund they indicated they could only authorize 1 Month.
    I will be taking them to small claims court. I also notice that there is a Class Action suit against them but they know the Legal system and by the time the Judge grants a settlement They will be broke. [email protected]

• Ga
    GabrielleParker Oct 11, 2011

I have been getting monthly charges of $19.95. I have called the number listed and no one ever answers.

• Ta
    tallengordon Aug 03, 2012

Having tried to get in contact with Intelius for several months, I finally discovered the correct way to get satisfaction for years of fraudulent charges. I called my bank and filed a fraud claim. A representative immediately answered my call and took my claim. Then she called the Intelius number and in a first of firsts got a real person. After a few minutes of very nicely explaining things to the person from Intelius, I was given a full refund for the 19 charges at $19.95 a piece!

You need the authority of a banking institution to get any satisfaction from these people. It took only about 20 minutes on the phone and I had a confirmation number in hand and a check for $379.05 was on it's way. Don't accept this behavior from anyone. Fight to get your money back from these theives!!

• In
    Intelius_Customer_Support1 Aug 16, 2012

We apologize for any challenges you may have experienced in regards to contacting us.

If you still need assistance, please visit the contact us page on the Intelius website for a variety of options to contact Customer Support.

www.intelius.com/emailcontact.php

We value your feedback and look forward to hearing from you.

• In
    Intelius_Customer_Support1 Aug 30, 2012

We apologize for any confusion arising from the use of our service and would like the opportunity to assist you.

Intelius offers a variety of services during the purchase process. The majority of our memberships are activated through either the acceptance of discounted pricing for individual reports, or through the acceptance of a full page offer advertised just prior to viewing the report. All of our offers describe the specifics of the service, including billing. Additionally, all of our services are non-contractual so there is no obligation to continue using the service.

If you still need assistance with your account, please visit the contact us page on the Intelius website for a variety of options to contact Customer Support.

www.intelius.com/emailcontact.php

We value your feedback and look forward to hearing from you.