Menu
Home Health & Life Insurance Humana worst insurance coverage on the planet

Humana  -  worst insurance coverage on the planet

H
Author of the complaint
4:46 pm EDT
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Humana is the worst insurance company without question. After paying high premiums ($556.00 per month) for my son and myself, humana has refused to pay for any of my doctor visits so far. Out of a $300-$400 bill for a pap test (Routine cervical cancer test), humana payed a whopping $16 for the lab fee, and I had to pay the rest. For visits to have a wart removed, once again, I paid about $250 for 2 doctor visits while humana paid about $30. I just got a bill from my allergy doctor saying I owed $463 for a $500 bill for allergy tests and treatment. So humana coughed up a whopping $37 for that. I have called the company numerous times, filed a complaint, etc., but they weasel out of it every time. Run from this company. They love to dissect each and every doctor claim and refuse to pay based on unclear wording in your policy. I would love to see a class action lawsuit against this company for their refusal to pay claims based on unclear/misleading wording in policies.

More Humana complaints & reviews

13 comments
J
Nov 27, 2020 12:25 pm EST

sick of them never ever in all my years have i ever had an insurance company that calls all the time..i pay my premium monthly and do not need them calling all the time for this and that. I even have gone so far to block calls then they always call from another number anyone else have this problem? There is absolutely no reason an insurance co should be calling all the time. Had blue cross blue shield for 40 years and never a call.. Planning to go with someone else.

P
Mar 30, 2019 10:55 am EDT

Every doctor I select off their website is not covered (in-network doctor and out-of-network-facility) even the PCP Humana helped me select is not covered. There are thousands (perhaps tens of thousands) of doctors listed on their website that they refuse to cover. Even the doctors listed are horrified at this scam after talking with Humana Colorado HMOX. I have two implants that are wired to me. I am a federal employee I am trapped until next open season. I may die without medical care before the next open season in a year. I don't know how the Humana employees sleep knowing their members are dying for want of basic healthcare.

T
Apr 08, 2016 10:03 pm EDT

I chose the plan that best fits my needs and am completely happy with Humana Gold Plus. If there comes a time I'm unhappy with the plan I will change it back to Gold Choice.

It is all about your plan, but then some people will never be happy.

R
Oct 30, 2010 10:00 pm EDT

Humana sent me a check for monies owed me because they over charged me. When I went to cash it they had cancelled the check and my account was charged $20. Humana refused to give me back the $20 saying that I should have known better than to cash that check.

F
May 20, 2015 4:50 pm EDT

I have Humana since February I have a Silver Plan HMO and no doctor will take the plan. I was told by a receptionist corporate says to stall with appointment cancellation and rescheduling hoping they will go somewhere else. She did say they would take Humana Gold. So for 4 months now I have no primary care and doesn't look I will find one off there list. There is list is worthless... But they keep taking my money every month

B
Apr 03, 2015 2:17 pm EDT

I think the only positive comments are coming from Humana employees. I was blatantly lied to. I specifically went with Humana because I was told repeatedly my very expensive medication would be covered. A med I have taken for over 20 years, it was not, even after several Drs. Said I should take it. Shame on you Humana. I was also told, both my husband and myself, and again this should be in Humana's recoding phone calls to us, that we would have a $4200.00 reimburment after the gap! So my 1st prescription this month was $345.00 the 2nd prescription was 145.00 and now I'm in the gap for $4700.00 and no reimbursement of $4200. Yes I was told of the gap but, I also was told I would get $4200.00 reimbursed. Now they are saying there is no reimbursement!
They are designed to frustrate, confuse and prey upon the elderly!

P
Aug 16, 2013 1:13 pm EDT

This is the truth. There is no accountability. Customer service is no more than a game of password. Nobody has the same information. Nobody is taking care of your account. You can't speak with anybody on a higher level than the inbound operators. They have breached their contract with me as far as I'm concerned! Over the course of a year and perhaps a dozen calls not once have I received the same information. There is no continuity. One rep said the hospital and clinic need to appeal, the next rep said my doctor needs to resend in a referral, the next rep said the dates are wrong, the next rep said my doctor called in but they didn't know what she was talking about, the next rep said the hospital dropped the ball by not responding, the next rep said it's too late to appeal. When the hospital called Humana, that rep said the member has to file a grievance. Follow up with her. Impossible! Today's rep said she didn't leave any notes nor did she leave her name. Today's rep also said I'm in a never-ending loop and agrees my next step should be outside the company. They are raising my blood pressure. I need to find a different company.

K
Nov 25, 2011 11:47 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

HUMANA screwed up on my drug plan application and as a result, I am without any coverage.
I signed on as a first time medicare member when eligible in October and subsequently received welcoming emails, notice that my card was in the mail, and then in a couple weeks afterward, the payment book showing first payment due Jan 1 of 2012. (I should have taken this a warning sign then!) Then to my surprise my prescription I went to fill on November 23 was denied and I realized I had not subimtted my "new" card to my pharmacy yet. Then I realized I had not received any new card yet and when I contacted HUMANA the rep informed me I was not covered yet and my coverage was not effective until Jan 1, 2012 as the coupon book indicated. SO, I have NO prescription coverage yet! Just glad I am not in dire need of any meds currently. I now plan is to find another drug plan provider, maybe one that has all coverage in one package but definitely NOT HUMANA! If they cannot even get my plan date correct, how can I be sure they can get anything else right?!

S
Sep 24, 2011 1:58 pm EDT

I have been in the insurance business for over 42 years and have never dealt with a company so incompetent as Humana. Every call to this company is transferred and then you end back up in the same place. It is just like the TV commercial I am Peggy which is a man. You never get to have your problem fixed. Also their RightSourceRx lies all the time and does not ship through the postal service as they claim. They use a trucking service then into the postal service so when the prescriptions finally arrive you are past out on the floor if you are lucky. Their prices for mail order many times are higher than the price to buy at a local pharmacy. If I have to pay more the transfer to another company, I will, but the Medicare makes you suffer until renewal date which can be up to a year of pain.

Q
Nov 08, 2010 10:11 pm EST

never had a worse experience

Q
Jun 30, 2010 7:43 pm EDT

There is nothing unclear about your policy language.. you just don't understand it. Your deductibles, co-pays, and co-insurance is clearly explained to you when you sign up (and if it's not, that is your employer's fault). It is also clearly stated in your coverage certificate and on Humana's website. The amount Humana reimburses is based on your individual plan and that is chosen by your group/employer, not Humana... so be mad at someone else.

B
Oct 20, 2009 7:41 pm EDT

Perhaps you should become more educated about your insurance plan BEFORE you go to the doctor.

W
Sep 02, 2008 5:03 pm EDT

Yes they are disappointing. By far the lowest of the low and oriented to cheating a customer every way they can.
I have never encountered any business or agency so disappointing. Clearly low life people. I can only wonder if they would treat their own family as they treat us.

Their actions only cheat us, their customers, of the medications and services we pay them for.

Contact your state insurance commissioner and file a complaint with that agency. You may also want to contract your congressman and hope he has not accepted campaign money from them. Best of luck.

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

263 complaints