HughesNet.commake me feel used and abused!

G

I made arrangements for this service in August 2006. I was told due to a promotion the 100.00 installation fee would not be required. On August 13, a Sunday, the installer arrived. However, I was charges an addition 125.00 for the installation of a pole as the installer did not want to put the satellite on the roof of my home.

After the installer left, it was noted that the cable from the pole to my home was left on the ground. As I lived in an area with a lot of trees and many many small animals I called to find out about having the line buried. Was told my one person that they did not do that, another person told me the original installer would have to come back and take care of it. When I started having problems with the service it was quite a job to get someone out here to try and correct it. BY this time it was after Labor Day, I was told the installer did not come the previous Friday due to car problems, I guess he was unaware that there are telephones available to cancel appointments. The Monday after labor day, Sept. 11 a new installer came out to check the system, he called and ordered a new modem for my service as the one installed was faulty. I was told the call him when I received the new modem. However, the modem was not sent to me but to someone in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I finally got a hold of him and he sent it to me and the installed care out on Friday the 22 to installed the new modem.

When I got my credit card bill I had been billed $202.38, (I was told it would be 99.99, and they would issue a credit as it was a promotional deal. They did refund 100.00 but left a balance of $102.38.

Then I received a bill from Hughes for $107.39 for service from 8/13/06 to 9/13/06, which I did not have as the system was not working. When I called billing I was told we are always billed in advance, so correct me if I am wrong.

I paid 102.38 in August, you want an additional 107.39 for a total of $209.77, however the young lady I talked with told me that my balance was $33.00 as she gave me a credit of one month and one week, so if you add the two amount together you come up with 242.00, I would be paying for service from 8/13/06 to 9/13/06 with a new bill coming on October 13. Sorry but I just do not understand this.

I was without a computer from 8/13 through 9/22, it worked once in a while but could not received E mail of a daily basis or take care of business. Made too many calls to Hughes trying to correct this mess to no avail. Long distance calls to companies (numbers given to me by Hughes), trying to track service men and the where abouts of the new modem.

Original installed did not leave me any copies of what I signed, have asked on many occasions for a copy but as yet have received nothing. I don't know if this will be answered or not but at this point in time I feel used and abused, and would appreciate any information that could explain this mess to me.

Jackie Rooke Nov 29, 2006

I totally agree. Basically the same thing happened to me, only I made numerous calls starting 1 day after it was installed for them to come get it as it was NOT reliable and didn't work most of the time. By day 6 I started filing disputed with my credit card company. Hughesnet is the worst! I've contacted BBB and have filed complaints on every complaint board I find about these losers. They are scam artists who have it down to a fine art. They keep saying I signed a contract but to this day I've never seen one. I had my dial up put back on within 5 days of getting Hughesnet broadband but can't get them to just dissolve this mess. They want to charge me close to $1400 for NO service.

gpenrod Nov 11, 2019

@Jackie Rooke New to hughesnet. I didn't do my homework. Already seems like a bait and switch con job provider. Started with 20gb, now switched to 30gb, I used less usage burning up faster now. What a RIP off. I'm contacting my attorney general for answers. Does this sound like their familiar tactics?

• Nu
    null factor Dec 07, 2006

I've been a HughesNet subscriber for about a year, now. Out of the year I've been a customer, my satellite has worked well about 2 of those months. For the past 3 months, my service works GREAT in the morning. Starting at 11:00 AM, my service gets slower and slower. By 8:00 PM, my download speeds are around 60Kbps (slightly above dial-up). Having the professional service, this is totally unacceptable. 3 months is plenty of time to resolve any tech issues... but they don't seem willing to attack the issue. I can't wait to ditch them...

Best of luck to all of you.

• Valerie Jan 22, 2007

Hughesnet uses other companies to sell their product. These other companies promise internet access with clearly defined data rates.

So a person purchasing this service pays more or less depending on the data rate one wants. After the service is purchased, the installer gives you account and information access to Hughesnet directly, and you fine out for the first time that there are no data rate promises. In other words there was a promise at purchase time, then after purchase that promise is taken away.

Hughesnet also advertises on TV and Radio. These advertisements clearly state that this service is 25 times dial-up access speed. These advertisements have no disclaimers. Then, after one purchases the service, the data-rate policy changes and one finds out there is no guarantee for any data rate at all. In other words the access could be completely taken away, and Hughesnet will promise nothing in return.

gpenrod Nov 11, 2019

@Valerie What a bait and switch con job provider. Let's band together and fight back big time...

• Mu
    Muray Walker Mar 09, 2007

This is silly. I got this as a Christmas gift. I can't even send an email. What am I doing! They won't even get this message. I feel like such an idiot.

• Un
    Ungrateful Mar 17, 2007

I purchased Direcway almost a year ago, which I had no problems. When the uninvited HughesNet took over, all of a sudden the main thing i have my computer for, which is online gaming, all came to a hault. They changed something in the network that causes severe latency. Latency is normal with satellites but not to this extreme. For some reason I checked my signal strength one day and performed the connection test while loading my game at the same time. This actually helped me connect to the gaming server. Any gamers reading this try that out. It doesnt work as well as the old Direcway but dont expect the uninvited to hear my little cry. My theory is that they toggled with the constant transmission b/t satellite and receiver making it not so constant. I cant explain any other way why forcing the device to transmit would help me connect. Thank you HughesNet for making me realize i can spend half the money and get 50 times faster speeds with no LATENCY! Thank you Lord for cable!

• Re
    Reginald Gwathney Mar 24, 2007

I was wondering if anyone posting comments would like to join me in a class action lawsuit that I intend to file against the company. If so please contact me at [protected]@gmail.com. The lawyers will usually accept these cases with no money out of pocket. You will probably not receive a large amount of money but it will punish the company.

gpenrod Nov 11, 2019

@Reginald Gwathney This appears to be a bait and switch con job provider. Let's stick together and fight the crooks.

• Yv
    Yvonne Cox Apr 04, 2007

I have been dreaming about getting the Hughesnet Satellite Service, but until I have investigated it further I will continue to dream other than go through the nightmares these individuals have purported to be true.

• Ca
    Cathy Mclendon Markovitz Apr 17, 2007

I ordered directway in dec. last year for my husband's Christmas gift, in jan the next year i called to see why my bill was so high, I was told that it was a 15 mo. contract, OK I will pay, MARCH... my service went to HELL, HELL, HELL... I and my husband have spent hours and hours trying to get this service to run. Between 10am and 5pm, you are just [censored] out of luck. We have been on the phone with the service and advance service people for hours at a time and guess what the next day same problem. I will no longer try to get it fixed with these people i am to wore out, to day it started as usual same time same thing, I would like to ask all others to join in a class action suit against HUGHES.

• Ci
    Cindy Hadley Apr 27, 2007

I had almost the same thing happen to me. It has to be a scam to get an additional amount of $125 from people to have the pole installed for the dish. I also can't wait to ditch this sorry excuse for an internet service. We were limited on our choices for the internet because we live so far out of town and the only others were so swamped with orders that they would not be able to get to us for 3 months. That should have been a red flag to us and we should have waited the 3 months.

Each time that I call, I get someone that has English as a second language and it is hell trying to communicate with them. I am always transferred to the advanced group of tech support and they are always English speaking and sometimes fix the problem after I have spent hours with the incompetents. I have lost whole days sitting on the phone when I call their tech support.

We upgraded, or so we thought to a faster speed and now it is moving slower and we are being billed more money...go figure that one. I HATE HUGHESNET!!! I will tell everyone that I know not to take this service.

gpenrod Nov 11, 2019

@Cindy Hadley They're just using us and trying to con us into increasing our usage. What a bunch of rip off crooks.

• Dj
    DJBarger Apr 30, 2007

I have to agree with the general sentiment here. Hughes sucks the big one out loud. I signed up in Dec 2004. I had no choices for an ISP as my new house was so rural that it was satellite or dialup.

For the first 2 years or so the service was OK. Not great but not butt smackin terrible. After Hughes took over the latency increased significantly, the bandwidth decreased to an average of less than 120K, that is if you could even get the damn thing to lock into the satellite and give you internet access. I am stuck. I have no meaningful alternative at this time. Hell will probably freeze over before cable or DSL landline become available and from everything I read Clearwire is no better in terms of reliability or customer service. Yes indeed. Hughes has me by the short ones with no end in sight.

• Je
    Jennifer White May 01, 2007

I guess I got lucky with my service. I've had it for about 4 years now and no major problems. Runs great. The only time I have had a problem was about a year ago they had to come out and run a new cable. I called on Friday and they were here on Tuesday, ran the new cable and only cost me 60.00.When I got the service hooked up I didn't have to pay any extra cause I already had a pole up for them to put it on. The lady had said they would charge unless I already had one up. Was gonna cost 75.00 to bury the cable and so I told them I would do that myself. About every 3 months I have to unplug the modem for about 10 seconds. About the only time I lose my connection is during real bad storms. After reading some of the stories on here, I guess I got very lucky with my service.

David Nicholson May 15, 2007

Same here. My speed has steadily decreased so that now, it is SLOWER than dial-up. It doesn't a rocket scientist to realize that a higher speed for $10 a month is worlds better than a slower speed at $60 a month.

gpenrod Nov 11, 2019

@David Nicholson Bait and switch con job.

• He
    Henry Kerr May 15, 2007

I picked up a handout at the airmans trade show here at Anchorage last week. After reading these testimonials I have thrown the handout in the fireplace. I will stick with my Clearwire.

• Tr
    Trevor M May 26, 2007

Ugh it's terrible. It SUCKS for games. I get at least a 2500 ping. in everything. terrible latency...

Plus, webpages are terrible, downloads are OK, at 120kbps on occasion... we've been with them almost half a year because it's all that's offered here, they have a monopoly basically, unless you want dial up...

And installation is SO much!

Oh did I mention I have their professional package? And if I were to switch to another satellite company would it even be better?

We had support over here twice (after hours of "have you tried plugging it in"?... I'm not stupid [censored]) each time they had to "readjust the dish". The second time I believe they may have charged for a support pole.

Not only this, but they told us we were getting a perfect connection because we have such a clear sky.
    Nope.

And the ONE thing it is good for is downloading things. It's still about 120kbps, but that's not so bad...
    So last night I was thinking "oh I kinda like hughesnet now" because I decided to watch a bit of lost online at nbc's website. Ah, but after about an half hour to an hour...

You get the "fair access policy" that was buried inside an online agreement. They cut off your internet because you download too much. So, currently, my internet is slower than dialup, about 3kbps at tops. YIPEEE. terrible latency AND slower than dial up. And from past experience, this goes on for at least two days.

HughesNet, you suck.

Jan Koopmann Jun 05, 2007

In May 2007, my service was canceled by Hughes.net services. I have satellite internet. I did not ask for this cancellation. My bill is paid and now they want me to pay $700.00 in termination fees to get my service turned back on. I refuse to pay because all I want is my service back on. They want me to pay this and then they say they will return it to my credit card. I have had very poor customer service from them. My cable was also left on above ground and not buried.

• Ri
    Richard Fuller Jun 10, 2007

The service provided by Hughes net is as bad as I have ever received. They want everything to be on line but they have the most impossible web site in the world. I never received a contract, and when I finally got to talk to a human I was told that my "contract number" was wrong. I still don't know what that is about. I was promised a $ 200.00 rebate on the hardware charges if I jumped thru all their hoops. Like copies of the first three months invoices. That I could only get on-line from their web site. You can guess how that went. My internet speed is really good from 3 am until noon. Then its best to have a waiting plan. I have three months to go on my initial agreement then they are history.

• Wi
    William Jun 21, 2007

Sorry to hear about you feeling used and abused by Hughes and their internet lockdown system. They have given us "Hughes Related Anxiety." We are so afraid that we will activate the Hughes internet lockdown that we no longer enjoy surfing the internet... it just causes too much anxiety. Yesterday, we were surfing around looking at cars (we're in the market for a new economy car), and every car place has flash movies, and 360 degree panoramas, and videos, and super-high resolution photos, and we keep hitting the red X button to stop things from loading because we are so afraid that Hughes will lock down our internet before we can finish surfing. Hughes internet is painfully slow anyway so when you hit the red X to stop a flash movie download on a website it takes about 1 minute to stop downloading anyway, and you are getting upset with every second that goes by. And at one car sales website there was a live chat window that popped up and someone from the car company started talking to us, and we were desperately trying to shut off their chat because they were eating up our Hughes lockdown limit. Same thing if we see the kids play a game, like at PollyPocket.com. If we see them download too many games or play any internet games for too long we get panicky and make them stop using the computer because we are afraid the Hughes internet lockdown system will shut off our internet. Literally, we are both jumping when we see a flash intro start on any website and we almost collide with the keyboard trying to stop the flash movies from loading. Today I had to download a 5 MB powerpoint for school and I panicked when I saw the size of the file, knowing that to download just 1 of many files I need for school this week, I was using 2.5% of the Hughes lockdown limit. And every time we visit a website now we are trying to estimate how many pages we can view before the Hughes lockdown. We used to listen to Batanga radio on the internet but we have completely quit listening to internet radio because it is guaranteed to activate the Hughes internet lockdown system. I guess we were stupid to get Hughes and we didn't read everything carefully but we didn't know anything about the Hughes internet lockdown system and we had no idea how easy it is to trigger it but the truth is if you use the internet it is really easy to activate the Hughes internet lockdown system. We have friends who listen to internet radio all the time with Comcast while they are using other programs. With Hughes we have to be careful to link to only the lower quality streams and not listen for very long. For example, if you pick the slowest internet radio stream possible, you can listen for about 2 hours and 45 mins you will trigger the Hughes internet lockdown... 20 kb/sec X 60 seconds X 165 mins = 198 MB so be careful if you use internet radio as you will trigger the Hughes internet lockdown really quickly!

• Li
    Linda Christo Jun 28, 2007

Wow! I just emailed with questions to Hughes.net about installation and service. I am currently on dial-up and am now reconsidering satellite internet access after reading the comments/complaints.
    This is too bad because with the competition and higher charges you would think Hughes would want SATISFIED customers to refer their service.

Thanks to all for your interesting comments. It has given me reason to "pause" on a change to Hughes.

Sincerely yours,
    [protected]@aol.com

• Ke
    Kelley Bean Jul 08, 2007

I work from home doing medical transcription and that is the main reason I got Hughesnet. I have had nothing but problems with this service. I was never told that I had a limited download access to this service and in fact when I got my service I was told that I had unlimited access. I purchased this in October 2006 and really have had problems since then but as of June 2007 I have been getting locked out just about every other day. You call to talk to them about it and you get someone you cannot even understand. I am in the market for another internet server and as soon as I find one Hughesnet can go to ****. I do not care that I have a 2 year contract. I will cancel my bank account if I have to so they will get no more money from me. I am over paying for a service that only works when they want it to. I am also filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and with the Attorney General about the lies they have told to get people to use their service.

• Ca
    cathy staelens Jul 13, 2007

I also was not aware of the internet fair access policy until my service would suddenly slow down to almost nothing for 24 hours or more. Then i finally called them and they told me. I upgraded to professional plus and i still get the lockdown for 80 dollars per month. Two days in a row os of today i am not getting broadband unlimited like they promised!

ALL THAT MONEY PER MONTH COULD BUY ME A BIG LAWN TRACTOR and not poor service. I want broadband unbound ! like they promised us all. Broadband unlimited hughes says.

Jan S. Aug 03, 2007

I didn't know about the lockdown, so that may explain some things I've been experiencing.

I've had the service since 2002 and at first it was screaming fast and very impressive. Now it's disappointing to say the least.
    If you go to places like "Broadband Reports" they have all sort of tweaks you can do to get it to run faster, but why should we have to?

I guess living out in the wilderness does have the occasional downfall (like Hughesnet scalping us), but I have absolutely no respect for Hughesnet at all anymore...

I can't wait for the day they get some non-satellite competition in the rural areas so they can fall on their butt and/or change their ways.

Darrel Goddard Aug 30, 2007

I was in the process of eliminating my dial up and adding this wonderful new service with high speed.
    Yeah Right, I'm sure glad I read the comments first, I' think I'm happy with dial up. I can't understand why no one officially hasn't chastised Hughenet. Thanks for the comments.

• De
    Debra Davis Sep 05, 2007

My comments are almost identical to many on this page. This is absolutely the worst ISP that any "sucker" (of which includes myself) could pay so much for. After the extremely costly purchase of dish, installation, etc. and then $60. a month for almost no service whatsoever. I am so terribly upset every time I try to get online to pay bills, surf for info,etc. that I end up stopping without accomplishing my task. I will tell anyone I know what terrible service this is. Myself like many others are limited due to the location of our home, therefore no cable, no dsl, etc. which forced me to purchase DirecWay (Hughesnet). I am SICK OF RECEIVING, errors such as: TCP Acceleration Error (800.3) - Acceleration Backbones In SYN_SENT State The HUGHES terminal is experiencing a problem with it's TCP acceleration infrastructure. Retrying the web page may correct the problem. AND Web Acceleration Client Error (506) - Suspected Recent Satellite Outage AND TCP Acceleration Error (800.4) - Acceleration Backbones in SYN_RCVD State.

Just to name a few.

I will definitely go back to a $10 a month dial-up and manage to get connected and save money.

I think this company should be forced into pro-rating all customers monthly bills each time their service is, to say the least, "LESS THAN ADEQUATE".

• Ti
    timothy callahan Sep 07, 2007

Have been shopping for some time for a faster connection in my area, but i feel this is not the way to go. I have checked this site for past year or so and the complaints from subscribers keep coming. sorry for you guys, thanks for the info, good luck,will stay with dial up until i can verify what i am getting.

Joseph Muhlbauer Sep 17, 2007

Mr. Joseph Muhlbauer
    P.O. Box 325
    Lakehead, Ca. 96051
    PH: [protected]

To HughesNet,

THIS IS A LETTER OF NOTICE TO HUGHES.NET. I ordered your internet service from a TV ad that promised HIGH SPEED internet on June 2007, I called you by phone and paid $474.50 by ATM. $400.00 installation, and $60.00 per month service fee. plus tax. At that time I asked many questions regarding the service, the only answer I got was " Try it, you have a 30 day money back guarantee." Normal internet service cost $9 per month with no installation fee for dial-up, I expected a lot more from Hughes.Net. Hughes.Net advertises a 2 year contract, with a 30 day trial period money back guarantee.
    So I tried it, I only used it for a short time that evening, but the next morning when I tried to use it, it would not work at HIGH SPEED, I called your Tech Support, and they told me I used up all my time by downloading 200 Bites per day.Hughes.Net set my internet service to a speed slower than dial-up, it was slower than the $9 dial-up service I was already using. This is crazy, the whole internet system is based on downloading, if you can't download, you have no product to sell me. At this time I cancelled my Service after approximately 16 hours of having it, on June 28th. I was given the run-around on phone for 6 hours from 8 AM to 2 PM that day I was sent from one Dept. to another, holding on the phone. I knew this was a SCAM when Hughes.Net then asked me to UP-GRADE to a bigger Satellite Dish for a cost of $800 installation and a monthly Service fee of $180 per month, this would give me 1200 Bites per day, which in my opinion is nothing. This new Dish for $800 was on top of the $474.50 I just paid. Hughes.Net instructed me to return the parts at my cost, Hughes.Net refused to come and uninstall the parts on my roof or patch up the holes in my wall, I had to buy a ladder to climb up onto my roof. I mailed the parts back to you by UPS on July 2, 2007, HughesNet promised me they would return my money after they recieved the parts, but they never did.
    I called you August 16th, Hughes.Net said they were Processing my money and I should have it any day now, but it never came. After 8 weeks on Sept. 4th, I called again and HUGHES.NET told me it would be another 8 weeks, sometime around November. I consider 4 months of holding my money excessive.
    If Hughes.Net does not return all my money immediately, you will force me into taking this matter to the Courts. Hughes.Net mentioned that I would have to pay for installation, HughesNet quoted several different amounts each time I called from $100 to $275, the installation only took 20 minutes, putting 4 screws in to mount the Satellite Dish, Drilling a hole in my wall, Plugging in the Modem. I should not have to pay for installing or uninstalling ,because Hughes.Net Product did not live up to their promise, it is not HIGH SPEED, I will not pay one cent for a Product they never produced to me. I held up my part of the deal, I did nothing to cause the uninstalling, this all falls back on Hughes.Net for not producing a good product. You may have some type of HIGH SPEED, but you never gave it to me. I am asking for the sum below:

$474.50 For installation and one months charge of $60.00 and Tax
    $ 20.00 To mail back Product at your request
    +$250.00 My charge for uninstalling your product
    -----------
    $ 744.50

If this should go to Court I will ask the Judge that HUGHES.NET pay all my costs:

$ 4.00 Charge for State Senate infomation for HughesNet Rep. in Cali.
    $150.00 Fee for Processing papers for Court to HughesNet Rep. in Cali.
    + $ 50.00 Court Cost filling papers
    -------------
    $204.00

Joseph Muhlbauer
    9/18/2007

David Threet Oct 07, 2007

Just Say No to Hughes NET

Worse thing I ever done and most expensive. I have only had this system since April which I don't like but have been living with. I called in on [protected] because I wanted to pay off the equipment financing. I took a forever for the agent to understand what I wanted to do. The agent was like you have to take care of the balance due first. Well heck I had just paid it a couple weeks ago and next payment was not due till 10-18-2007. So I just paid it the $106.00 which is my normal bill with there $5 paper statement fee. Then she was like ok you owe $400.00 on your system. I was like ok thats fine. She took my $400.00 payment. Two-three days later I get a bill for $800.00. I with two $400.00 equipment payment line items. So I go online and look and see, shows my credit card payment posted and a remainder blance of $400.00. So I didn't thank much of it and emailed [protected]@HugesNet.com and requested somone e-mail me back with a resolution. Only reply I got was the auto-generated one. After a week I went back to my account online. same deal. So I decided to call. The young philipino was like no sir those charges are valid. We dont reverse vaild charges. Could not make her understand what i was saying. Last time I checked there was only wane pimp size dish on my house. She is like no sir you have two systems. I just hung up and thought I would trie it again the next day. Lord same deal, it would be nice if they would stop reading scripts and listen. After the "No Sir I can't help you" I asked for a manager. Well got a manager and all of a sudden the system went down for mantainace. I explained the entire thing to her and she was like sir I cant help you. Then I ased is the scheduled maintance you have an estimated time frame it will be done. No sir we dont know. So I just hung up went online I could look at my account, not sure why she couldn't. So I tried another e-mail. I am being to wonder if I am ever going to get this fixed. I get a letter that DSL is going to be in my area soon from AT&T. You better bet I'll be paying that $300.00 early contract fee. Same speed not bandwidth limit and $19.95 no contract.

• Pa
    Patricia Mosser Oct 11, 2007

I agree and have experienced most of the same issues as all of you and would be more than happy to assist in any way to figure out how we can improve their Customer Service. Or...file a class action lawsuit. I am tired of calling for help and not getting anything except a waste of my time and making them think I am imagining that I really do have Internet problems. I can't wait to cancel my service upon the end of my contract and get another provider.

• Ar
    Arnethia B. Murdock Oct 21, 2007

I have had Hughes since April 2007 and I got it because Verizon (or anyone else) was available in the rural area where I lived. You'd think I was living far away from civilization when the neighbors 2 miles up the road could get DSL from Verizon but we couldn't. I complained both verbally and in writing about the "extra" $165 I had to spend for the burying of the cable and the dish on the pole because "it could not be installed on the roofs of modular or double/single wide trailers. My argument was that if I had been told this either in their advertising OR when talking with the scheduling rep, I would have changed my mind. Up to now, I thought my computer was "slow" because I also started getting error messages about satellite outages and other crap. You know that feeling you get when you feel you have been HAD? But I wanted faster internet and at the time felt that Hughes was my only selection at the time. Now with the $100+ I am paying for 15 months to pay off the equipment and service charges..I am not a happy camper. Hughesnet lied or they may say that they mis-represented how the service (from installation to its usage) would rawlly b. Every time I see that commercial, I want to let my local new consumer investigator know that if you do live in a trailer or a modular (which is what you have a lot of around here) and you want Hughes, then be prepared for the independent a contractor that Hughes uses to charge you above and beyond what Hughes says you should pay. When my contract is up with these folks, I will be switching. Maybe Verizon will be available in my neck of the woods. I am not a happy customer so if something does kick off regarding Hughes and its piss-poor service, count me in.

• Ro
    Robert Marsh Oct 29, 2007

I have the Hughenet Pro plan which is supposed to provide service "up to 1Mbs". Because of slow speed I've used their speed test to see what I'm actually getting. The best I've gotten is 875kbs at 10AM in the morning. But after ~5PM onward service is a fraction of their 1Mbs. ... typically about 100kbs... sometimes in the 50's! And I'm paying for 20 times that!

I called Hughes and after a lengthy investigation they say its caused by the traffic load on the satellite so there is no fix... and no problem as far as they are concerned!

As quick as any better competition is available I'll switch.

• Sh
    shanda Nov 15, 2007

My experience with hughesnet is terrible. It's only fast for a couple of hours then it goes back slow.

• St
    Steve Jones Nov 21, 2007

HughesNet is a total ripoff. Don't waste your money. I found out the hard way.

• Ml
    M. Loper Nov 23, 2007

I am telling everyone to beware of Hughes Net and their lies. I got their satellite 2 weeks ago and had it disconnected within one week. In 6 days, I had about 6 hours when it wasn't slowed down to a crawl due to the FAP. I just wanted to sync my ipod, for goodness sakes! I couldn't get my email or update my virus software. What a rip-off! I would LOVE a class action suit to punish these crooks!

Mark Nov 28, 2007

We all have to get together and file complaints with the better business bureau from Washington DC Please everyone file a complaint, and they will either have to give us what we are paying for or shut down there business. What do you think will happen?? Enough of you have not been doing that and have too. Trust me I did IT and got help from the BBB and they had the CEO of hughesnet contact me They did everything under the sun to help me then. I feel if everyone who has this service to do it Call or write the BBB of washington DC and the Attorney General And Please Don't Forget To Mention. Broadband unlimited Unbound. That Means Unlimited not limited to 350 Mbs per day. Either Make them change there comercial to tell people. "Broadband Unlimited Until you download over 350mbs then speeds will drop below dialup for a 24 hour period wicth means your internet speed will be dialup speeds because updating your computer may use that much, Trust me folks if you don't have hughes net don't get it until hughs can figure out how to help the customers first of all. BECAUSE SOMEONE IS BECOMING A MILLION AIRE OH WAIT MORE LIKE A BILLION AIRE

maureen bonessa Dec 10, 2007

How on earth does Hughes net get away with this?? I have searched complaints against hughes net and can't believe the number of complaints Ive seen! Ive had hughes since Feb 2006....and it's been good till month or so ago...I thought it was my computer. I have called CS twice....its like a brick wall! My pages are always timing out.............Im going back to dial up. If I were to cancel now...the cost to dump this service is $299...........it's worth it!!

Pirates..........that's all they are...........lying pirates.

MB

• Mr
    Mr. Wright Dec 11, 2007

I have signed up and had Hughes Net installed on November 16, 2007. The service is slow with an average download speed of 600-650 and my upload speed are a mind-blowing 42kbps.

Hughes tech support is farmed out to India. They took me through several tests. Instructed me to do speed tests for 3 days and call back. Making a long story short I finally got to level 4 tech support (America) and they determinded that my equipment and signal are fine and they have a network issue that they expect to have resolved in the "WEEKS OR MONTHS TO COME".

I called to cancel my service and customer service (India) advised that I would be penalized $400.00 for early termination. I guess it is my fault that they are having an network issue that they cannot fix in the weeks or months to come. I hope they get the Space Shuttle launched so that they may fix that satellite.

I was watching TV last night and I was shock to see that Hughes is advertizing for new customers proclaiming high-speed service. It is just not true.

I called to have Wild Blue installed and unfortunately there is not a clear line of sight to their satellite.

Since then I have notified the Attorney General in Maryland and the state that I have their service in for fraudulent representation of a service. Oh yeah I forgot that the FTC and the FCC took my information and have responded in a positive way.

Just for your amusement hear are my Speed Test results. Enjoy!

Test History for Site ID: 'XXXXXXXX'

December 11th, 04:46PM - 375/15 kbps
    November 23rd, 05:36PM - 479/17 kbps
    November 23rd, 03:34PM - 652/9 kbps

• Ni
    Nikki Dec 11, 2007

I have had Hughesnet for about a month now and I am really disappointed in the service. I live in a very rural area so of course, it's the only way I'll have high speed internet (if you can even call it that). I had DSL before I moved and I loved it. My phone company said that they would be getting DSL out here soon. I would not have a complaint if hughesnet was as cheap or cheaper than DSL. But I pay about $20-$30 more for satellite and it's a lot slower than the DSL I used to have. The "fair access policy" is also ridiculous. 200 mb a day? That's a joke..what's fair about that policy?

And as someone has said before, my speeds are great before 11 am but any time after that, it's really slow. I think it speeds up again at around 12 am.

My advice is to only get satellite if you cannot get any other high speed service.

Charlene Conner Dec 13, 2007

I ordered over phone and gave my debt# for the first month payment. They have a 30 day peroid where you can cancel if not satisfied, I canceled 19 days after installation because I had 3 THREE computers crash in the 19 days that I had it. The very next day they took an additional $373.84 out of my bank using my debt# without my pin number or signature. In other words they RIPPED me off. Their service sucks and I feel sorry for anyone who uses HUGHESNET!!! They are Theives!!!

• Am
    Amanda Hickman Dec 15, 2007

If anyone files a class action suite please let me know.

Marsha Miller Dec 16, 2007

I would like to be in on any class action suit against hughesnet. They have ripped me off enough for the last 3 and a half months. Everyday they tell me I have exceeded the fair access policy when I haven't even been on the computer at the time.

John Dec 19, 2007

I will agree 100% with every individual who's posted a complaint against Hughes. They "claim" Broadband but there's nothing speedy about their service. Mr. Wright is correct on those speeds, as are all those who have said their piece about the "Fair Access Policy" aka the "We want to save money and deny you service" policy. This needs to get out to all of the future Ripoff-ees of Hughes, they are liars, thieves and scoundrels. If I hadn't known how to install a dish myself I would be in a world of hurt right now because their installers could care less what happens to you the moment they leave the premesis. I've only had Hughes for about 2 months, Professional mind you, and the service is terrible. Lagging speeds with both DL and UL (Download/Upload), constant "Fair Access Policy" interruptions and a cost that is far from worthy of what I'm getting it for.

I would back a suit against the company and corporate if one was made, and even write the New York Times or another highly supported newspaper as to the corruption Hughesnet hold behind their lies and deceit. First and foremost, this needs to get out to waiting ears so they can take action... lawyers, newsreels, etc. We've got one of the country's largest satellite companies failing to give service and lieing about their plans, both installation and service.

I strongly ask no one to buy into Hughesnet, reguardless if they seem there's no other alternative to dialup. I don't see much of a difference between the two now that I have satellite anyways, so you're saving yourself about $1k /yr and a lot of unecessary stress.