Hughesnetfap's "fair access policy" is a fraud!

B

I am so fed up with Hughes.net. First of all I am constantly needing to reboot my modem after a few hours of inactivity. Hughes Net can not fix the problem and told me I would have to live with it. Today I find out that after downloading over 200MB of data in a 24 hour period the fair access policy kicks in and Hughes Net reduces your internet speed to 22k for 24 hours as a penalty for using the system too much. Of course if you agree to pay an additional $20 a month for the PRO connection, they will give you unlimited downloads.

So Fair Access Policy is simply a way for Hughes Net to get you to pay more $$$. It has nothing to do with "Fair Access". Its more like "unfair access" where Hughes Net hooks you into a contract then informs you of new rules limiting your access. Run if you can from Hughes Net, the service SUCKS!

• We
    Wesley Jaeger Aug 24, 2015

I was with DirecWay before it became Hughes. I went from unlimited to FAP. After constant FAP and every other day of being punished, they told me I could buy a higher plan. I tossed them and went to a wireless provider via radio signal. The base station still makes a satellite connection ultimately BUT no FAP FAP is a bait and switch ploy. The advertised price is always the bottom plan. They never advertise the "normal" plan. Their base plan offers less data than a cellphone. FAP i should be illegal.

• Ed
    Edward Escobales Jul 02, 2012

I got hughesnet in march 2012. Within a week I was charged by hughesnet and the installer. I talked to hughesnet and they said they
    had no control over the company that installed the equipment. That's were the problem started. I knew then that hughesnet was no good when they won't take responsability for a company that work's for them. So I cancelled right there and then. A few days later the
    installer came back and remove the equipment. I got most of my money refunded. Since then I have recieved numerous letter's saying
    that I still owe them money for the equipment that the installer took back. After numerous phone calls and letter's they finally realize
    that I did not have the equipment, the installer has it. Now they want the installer to return the equipment to me so I can mail it to them.
    The kicker is they want me to pay for everything and after they recieve it I will get remburst. (Yes I was born yesterday) So I told them
    instead of putting me in the middle, why not have the installer return the equipment and they can remburst them. That's to easy. And
    this is were the problem is. I guess I am going to have to get a lawyer and take them to court. Does anybody have any suggestions?

matthew o Apr 16, 2012

i totally agree with everyone, hughesnet is a bunch of worthless piece of sh*t/ m-f ers.ive had to call them numerous alot of times to try to get mine fixed, and they are ###s.you call in to get it fixed and they try to give you extra tokens to satisfy you, well i say f*ck there free tokens and just give us better service.they told me that my modem was messed up and that it would cost $125 to get it fixed, they can kiss my ### because they will never get $125 from me.SO I SUGGEST THAT ANYONE WANTING TO GET HUGHESNET BETTER JUST STICK WITH DIAL- UP AT LEAST WITH THAT YOU KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT WITH YOUR SERVICE!

• Iv
    Ivk6131 Feb 20, 2011

I'm sorry for all of you this sounds absolutely stupid, No WAY I'm going to buy this crap, I'm gonna tell all my friends and family not to purchase this product, I hate companys like this and the way they run things, simply **** them.

• Me
    melissa1140 Feb 08, 2011

I am paying about $130.00+ a month for the Pro Plus plan because even at the $80.00+ plan my speed was so slow we couldn't even watch NetFlix! I work from home running my online store and just trying to work on it each day, I exceed my FAP limit. Well you know what...paying almost $140.00 a month, customers should have an unlimited download plan! How the hell am I supposed to make a living and help my customers online? HughesNet is a complete RIP OFF and if you ask me they COMPLETELY take advantage of customers in rural areas that have no other choice for internet. Their pricing is outrageous! I only have 6 months on my contract and believe me, I am canceling and going with another provider in my area that only charges $60.00 a month for an equivalent plan and NO FAP POLICY!! Good riddance!

• Si
    Sing63 Dec 06, 2010

For about a year now, I thought it was my computer. I bought 3 new computers and am constantly cleaning the disk but it did not help. Hughnet is a ripoff. My sister has dsl and it is faster with no problems. Seems like we are all screwed and were lied to at signup and it is like everything else in America, a scam. Cell phones are a scam, hard line phones, a scam, satelite tv and even satelite radio, all scams. All companies want you to pay something and get nothing.

• Kc
    kcdawg Oct 30, 2010

Oh the poor smucks can't sit on their butts all day and play online games!!!

Waah! Waah! Let's all sue!!

• Rm
    rmcturnan Oct 23, 2010

Dropped Hughesnet about a year ago. Not worth the price. I've had that FAP kick in and got dropped down to 19.2k.
    Anyone considering Hughesnet, forget it. A waste of money

• Ca
    calma Aug 25, 2010

i justy got hugesnet yesterday, the web site does not even say anything about the FAP intell it was up and runing. plus i have a stuped poll in my yard, seeing "the dish is too big for you roof to suport it".

• Ar
    ARVELLA GODBEY Aug 07, 2010

HUGHES NET INTERNET IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY THAT I PAY EACH MONTH, SERVICE SOMETIME AND MAYBE A DAY WITH NO SERVICE AND JUST BACK AND FORTH, NO SERVICE THEN SERVICE AND NO SERVICE. I HAVE CALLED THEM SEVERAL TIMES AND COMPLAINED AND TRIED TO TALK TO SOMEONE THAT YOU CAN UNDERSTAND, BUT YOU EITHER GET A RECORDING OR SOMEONE THAT BARELY SPEAKS ENGLISH, THIS IS AMERICA!

I AM TRYING TO FIND ANOTHER PROVIDER FOR INTERNET,

• Da
    Danny Hemet Ca Aug 04, 2010

The only fortunate thing I have to say about Hughes net is that I signed up for 12 months only or so I think. I signed up for the 1600 Kbps and I actually get 1600 Kbps. The only problem is at this speed you get 27 times faster than dial up, what happened to the 50 times faster than dial up? Can't stream movies and I am ALLOWED to download 425Mg per day.Just so everyone realizes 425 Mg is less than 1/4 of regular movie. I have a Mac. I was told to call Mac to setup my in house small network because Hughes had no idea how to get my Airport extreme router and the HN9000 to talk to each other. The guys at the Genius bar said without the WEP key from the back of the modem they could not help me and the circle continues. 6 more months and Hughes is toast. In the Riverside area of Calif there is a company called airenetworks.com that can help with rural internet for about the same price as hughes. I have no affiliation with this company and I am not selling anything, just a hint.
    Danny Hemet Ca

• Po
    ponyislandgirl Jun 29, 2010

I too subscribe to HN because I have no other alternative except dial up. What a freaking joke HN is. I used verizon DSL for the last 7 years until we moved, they have no restrictions. I didn't know about the restrictions until the guy that installed it told me about it. He said, do you watch a lot of youtube? I don't but my son does. Then he said wellyou will go over your allotment unless you download between 2 am and 7 am. Needless to say we went over the first night we had it. I even upgraded the service, it sucks. As soon as dsl or cable is available in this area hn can kiss my butt goodbye. I don't even care about the 2 year contract, it's not worth the aggravation. I also have trouble with it shutting down and hanging up. DSL never gave me any problems. Plus I have to leave my computer on all the time so the other computers on my network can connect. I tried shutting down my main computer and it turns the modem off, so I guess my electric bill will be high right along with the HN bill.

• Ji
    JimSub Jun 23, 2010

I subscribed to HN because I have no alternative for internet access and I use the internet for school, banking and correspondence. I was never told about the Fair Access Policy (FAP) until 3 days after I started using HN. At times the speed is as slow as, if not slower, then dial-up...when it works. Half the time the service just shuts off and I have to restart...other times the "web acceleration" or "TCP status" is in limp mode, like some version of idle. It does not matter what the weather conditions are at any time. I have emailed CS and went to chat...no help. I seriously have no other means to access my business - and at 500.00 installation and 60.00 a month, outrageous. I had Yahoo DSL for 2 years...15.00 a month, no installation fees and unlimited D/L ability. I lost their service 1 time due to an upgrade...that's it. I will NOT recommend HN to anyone and will in fact discourage it unless, like me, they have no alternative. As soon as DSL becomes available out here, I'm done with HN...it's a ripoff.

• Qu
    Queen Geekful Apr 09, 2010

The problem is the whole word "Fair" ... because as an internet user I certainly do not get "fair" internet access but really I am at a great disadvantage to subscribers who use verizon or Road Runner and such. I'm a student and this requires that I download podcasts, browse sites (such as archive.org) that has some audio and video downloads that aid me as a student.

For entertainment purposes, I'm even afraid to watch many videos on ESPN or You tube! Furthermore, I would LOVE to have streaming audio on for hours a day - fair or not - I'd love to listen to XM radio or a game through MLB.com ... but, with Hughes, I cannot. My friends have Verizon and they can do this at a portion of the cost of Hughes.

Frankly, I could care less about being "fair' to other Hughes customers. This to me shows that Hughes is really deficit as a company if they cannot provide enough satellite coverage to allow every one of their customers to use as much internet as they require, even that "10%" that uses a ton. No offense but I don't really give a darn about other users and being fair to them or them being fair to me, not when I'm shelling out 70$ a month.

I've had Hughes for a week - because I really need high speed to complete my research for school and dial up just hangs up too long - but, twice in a week the weather wouldn't allow me access to the satellite.

Sure, I'll go ahead and hang on to my contract rather than paying an early $400 termination fee (unless of course a new and better company comes in my area in the next six months or so) but I can about guarantee that I will not renew my service with Hughes after my contract is fulfilled. Secondly, I will be honest with those in rural areas and explain that you really cannot watch much videos on Hughes, you cannot play many games beyond pogo or Facebook. You are treated unfairly in comparison to how other internet providers treat their customers.

Hughes takes a hard nose approach. They realize customers hate the FAP. But, they obviously don't have the finances to change this policy, or, they simply do not care. They should learn from AOl who, in the early stages also limited the amount of hours a user could spend online a month. To this day I still hear complaints about AOL!!! Aol had to revamp its image and still, in my opinion, suffers.

• De
    debbies72 Feb 26, 2010

I am soooo fed up I cant even see straight. I want to cancel with them but I can not do the $400.00 for cancelling. Man i wish I had stayed with Comcast now. :(

• Cb
    cbecht19 Dec 06, 2009

yeah this is ridiculous i agree with everyone here and if everyone wants to get a petition ready and hire an attorney email me at [email protected]

• Kh
    khall356 Nov 15, 2009

Sign me up for the class action lawsuit! We live way out in the woods and don't have any other choice for (allegedly) high speed internet. We upgraded to "business" because we were on "time out" all of the time. The other night I watched 3 You Tube videos at 4 a.m. (couldn't sleep) and when I woke up in the a.m., we were on time out. A BUSINESS account can't download three You Tubes at 4 a.m.?

I wish we had some alternative. Right now dial-up is looking pretty good.

• Mi
    Mike Stuhr Nov 01, 2009

Beware, Hughesnet is the worst experience you can have with ISP's
    No one deserves the frustration they cause.
    Rep told me what I needed and sold extra packages to do what I wanted to do. When I do it my service is turned back so low I cant even check E-mail.
    LIARS, LIARS, LIARS. I'd grow weary telling the truth about how we were lied to.
    Do yourself a favour and stay away from the biggest joke in internet history.
    Mike Stuhr

• Sh
    Shezakatsmeow Oct 19, 2009

Hughes does have tool for checking your usage. Go to Hughes customer care. I tried to post the link but it didn't work. If you can't find it give them a call.

• Dk
    dkc0911 Oct 19, 2009

I first had Wildblue for 4 yrs. The only real complaint was the speed. Wildblue also has Fair Policy Act. Much like Hughes Net. I was cut back to below dial up speed only once in four years. and it lasted nearly 30 days. (they monitor your usage on a 30 day basic) Wildblue does have a usage meter you can download free of charge. It will help you stay within the limits, I am not sure just what the threshold difference between Wildblue. and Hughes. I have had Hughes Net now for about 3 months and have been cut back two or three times already. As far as I know Hughes Net does not have a usage meter you can download and keep track of you usage. That sux big time. I do like the speed with Hughes over Wildblue. Now I am talking about using the smallest and cheapest packages each offer. I might bite the bullet in a month or two and get back on Wildblue. I didn't have to worry nearly as much on the usage. and Wildblue is $10 a month cheaper.
    I own all my equipment on both Wildblue and Hughes Net. I am not going to pay an extra $10 on lease.

• Li
    linoj Aug 19, 2009

You might want to check this out, it may help.

Husage: A Better HughesNet Usage Report

• 1a
    1 angry customer Jun 07, 2009

i too have had this ###e for several years, everysince it was directway, even then there was a fap policy in place but it was a useful one, where as if u go over the download threshold, the speed was reduced but the kicker here is, it was only slowed for 4 hours, u simply stopped using the pc or limited use for 4 hours and u back up to speed, i really didn't like that policy but learned to deal with it . enter hughesnet, first they came with the 24 hr ###e, the service was terrible, can't understand tech support and a variety of 0ther complaints.

like most of the complainters here, i too count on my internet to pass time away and do other things such as youtube vids and such, it's next to impossible to do with hughesnet unless u do it during the relaxed times 2 am - 7 am est., i aint really that much into losing sleep to be in an internet @ 2am just to stay under fap, no less i got the proplus for $79.99 a month, i adjusted thru all this ###e still until one Sunday morning, i hadn't done basically anything on pc and was fapped, i called tech support with the usage page right there and started adding up numbers that clearly didn't add up to the 425mb i was allowed . thats when i found out about the rolling bandwith usage, in laymans terms, if u do a big download at say 11pm because u know all throughout the world 12am starts a different day and therefore u get a new day of usage (425mb), how wrong u are, i found out that there is never a new day, the usage is calculated for a rolling 24 hour period . so therefore i'm really not getting 425mbs a day, i'm getting whatever is left from my other 23 hours, what a damn ripoff, if anything other than dialup becomes available where i live i will gladly drop this pioece of crap and their non english talking reps

• Bi
    Bill May 31, 2009

If the Fair Access Policy was placed on television they would only allow you to watch 10 minutes before they shut you down for 28 hours. I've had this crappy system for 5 years and it is getting worse. What about the built in streams in almost all websites they can break the Fair Access Policy by them selves. If you ask me It's fraud by the US government and hughs.net. I need fast internet and should have no limits at all and make it less expensive like say $30 per month. People in rural areas either work for the government, farm or IT tech support. NOW calculate your monthly bill and multiply that by 30 years then multiply that by 2 (inflation they cause) what did you come up with...? Now add $3000.00 for upgrades (Gee I hope your equipment doesn't break down because you will have to pay for that as well). I know I said rural areas employ government workers but how many people do we need to dig a hole or repair the same road twice a year while other roads remain unpaved... If the government allows these actions which seem illegal then they must be profiting from it. We should work from the bottom up to resolve this problem starting with Town Halls > Town committees > Town Lawyer > Courts > all the way to the Supreme Court. This is where the tax money should be going stopping Hughs.net not helping them impoverish us.

• hughesnetsucks May 19, 2009

Hughes net is simply a very badly managed service, the experience has not been a good one.

Support often means talking to someone that cannot understand english, which means that
    if your issue is not on the small cards that they hold up for each other to practice reciting in english,
    then you can just forget about them being able to help you at all.

The installer that came, was a jack leg, who took 5 days to install the system, because he arrived
    with all used equipment, the pole mount he had to knock off the cement that the last user had
    delivered the pole back to him after dealing with poor customer service.

This is just the worst customer service I have ever seen.

I used to be on starband which was not much better except that when you call in they had people
    that could empathize with you because they lived in the USA.

Dont go with hughes net it is a waste of your time.

either stick with dialup or go with another company.

hughes net sucks

• Fa
    facinus May 09, 2009

You guys keep complaining about FAP, yes it sucks, but its perfectly legal since you signed a contract with it in there. Next time read the contract before you sign it?

• Be
    beatlesgroupie May 03, 2009

We have had hughes for about a week now. OMG DO I MISS CABLE. OK we live in a free country do we not? then explain to me exactly how we have a set amount of what we can view/download on the internet. I just found out today about the FAP. I download a LOT. Im home everyday being a stay at home mom and wife, and like the person above me the internet is how I pass my time.. At this point Im thinking dial up would be better, at least then there isnt a limit to what I can view. Hughes is UTTERLY ridicules. I found out today though that during 3-6am EST its free time ohhh yay when everyone is sleeping you can download and view what ever you like. What a load of ###. I say FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!!! download big files in minutes my ###... MORE LIKE DAYS... (wait isnt there a law against that??) and now we have a 2 year contract. Hughes SUCKS. I will continue to pay though cuz there's nothing else besides dial up. at least until we get stationed some where else. OH and BTW any service people looking for a discount from Hughes dont count on it, cuz they dont give a damn that you are serving the country so they dont have to they are out for the cash and nothing else!!!
    -Casey Joshua Tree CA

• Si
    Silvergirl Apr 22, 2009

HughesNet really sucks. Unfortunately we are stuck with their service since we live on the outskirts of a rural community I have no other options. Get this: My husband called and asked our local HughesNet representative about their packages and about speed. He chose the one that would best suit our needs and would be the cheapest possible. We BOUGHT the dish $400 because they didn't like our credit. OK, whatever, fine. We get all set up and start surfing.

I enjoy watching movies online, and I like to watch videos on Youtube. I am a disabled individual, paralyzed from the waist down and I am more or less homebound. The internet is how I pass a lot of my hours during the day. I sell my arts and crafts online and I participate in online communities. These things are important to me.

So the first day of our service I attempted to stream a full length movie. Well...that was a mistake. The internet service started dogging like nothing else. We called thinking something was wrong with the service, only to find out AFTER we paid our money that there was even such a thing as an FAP.

Its total crap.

Its like buying a really awesome muscle car that the salesperson says will go 180 miles per hour, taking the car home, going for a drive the next day to stretch its legs only to find out that the tank only holds 2 gallons of gas and you are only allowed to fill the tank once per day.

Its useless.

I wish I knew a way to get out of it without losing my internet connection and without having to shell out even more money.

~Nevada

• Di
    Diane Apr 21, 2009

I agree with you all. Hughes does suck and something needs to be done about these people ripping us off. Hughes charges way too much money for the limited sevices they offer. The other thing is you don't know about the FAP untill your reeled in and download and thats when they hit you AFTER you have signed a contract with them.
    I too can't wait till my contract is up with them. Bye bye and good riddens Hughes.

• Rr
    rrooffener Apr 11, 2009

WELL THEY NEED TO THINK TWICE, I AM GOING TO HIRE A ATTORNEY AND TURN THEM OVER TO THE ATTORNEY GENERAL FOR NOT ALLOWING YOU TO USE THE SYSTEM. THE FAP CRAP IS CRAP. THERE SHOULD NOT BE A DOWNLOAD LIMIT WHEN YOU PAY FOR THE BEST PACKAGE. I PAY ALMOST $100 A MONTH FOR CRAP INTERNET THAT DOES NOT LOAD HALF THE TIME IF THE FRICKING WIND BLOWS.
    SO IF ANYONE WANTS TO HELP ME SUE THESE FREAKS LETS DO IT.

• Xr
    xrandallx Apr 02, 2009

yea hughesnet sucks .we have had the service since sept 2007 i finally got tired of the fap crap and slow browsing and it getting really slow from 4pm to 12am. well i filed a complaint with the fcc this january 2009 and we got called from the presidents assistant yesterday wanting to settle our complaint. so we got upgraded free of charge from the 7000s to the 9000. so far so good. but they cancelled our contract so now we just pay month to month till we cancel when we want no charges at all. our bill went down from 101 ti 80 they are eating the costs of the new system they put in and we got brand new 9000 modem and dish. so soon as we get cable out here we are cancelling the service also the tech gave us the 7000s equipment modem and dish and i have no clue what to do with it

indiana

• Pb
    pbass10 Mar 27, 2009

They Plain Suck!!!

I don't understand how this can be legal. If i pay for a service i want to be able to enjoy the service and download files that i need. I just got hit by the FAP tonight and it pisses me off!! This is bullcrap.

• Yo
    yossie Mar 16, 2009

FAP kinda sucks - mostly in that it is not used to shape traffic so that everyone get a fair access, but to punish people who (accidently or otherwise) transgress by "nearly" locking them out all together. Nothing fair about it - just punitive. They are the only game in town, but their policy could be different and accomplish the same purpose without pissing the heck out of their customers. Companies like that tend to fail in time..

• Le
    leebo Feb 26, 2009

I am having the same problem as everyone here. I, ve had service for a year and finally figuring out about this unfair access that we pay for. I am stopping all payments to them on my accounts and let them try to get anymore money from me. I may take a hit on my credit, but when all is settled and our lawmakers decide to help unfair practices, i shall prevail. I guess i am going to go with a new tower installed by my community(thank god). Which I know will be fair and better service.

• Me
    Megacom Computer Centre Feb 11, 2009

Megacom Computer Centre Site Code IFSKNS352 complain against Hughes communications India Ltd. Our distributor Infortech solution Guwahati, Assam (Debashree) given us statement of monthly payments. We pay as instruction of Debashree and our payments are clear but Hughes communication India Ltd, Gurgaon, India disconnect my Internet connection without any instruction / notice due these reason we face loss and tension from our customer. Please take necessary action against HUGHES for our future.

• Mr
    MrTick Dec 29, 2008

Yeah, I signed up thru Earth Link and they NEVER even told me that there was a FAP. FRAUD!

So after I found out, they offered me discounts and stuff; but, 95% of my business is done via the internet. So who cares.

Meanwhile, THEIR FAP is on a sliding scale obviously. Two days ago they cut me off and I'd only been on for 2 hours and they said that I downloaded a file that was a 100+ MB and so I went into FAP.

WTF??????

With ALL these problems, why doesn't everyone just get together and Class Action that ###? I'm game.

christy Nov 03, 2008

I unfortunately signed up for hughesnet because I live out in the country and they said that the service would be great out here. . . WRONG! I downloaded Microsoft Word today and now I am being penalized under the FAP stating that I can only download 200mb per 24 hours... but during the hours of 3am-6am I have unlimited downloads. Thats no use to me, like normal people, i am sleeping during those hours. I am being penalized and Microsoft Word never finished downloading because the service is so slow. who knew that spending 80/month on internet would turn out to be slower than dial up. I would not recommend this service to anyone. It's been very disappointing. I don't like that I am stuck in a contract for another year and a half. If anyone knows a way to get out of the contract, please let me know. This is ridiculous.

• Ki
    Kimberly Howard Oct 31, 2008

I TOTALLY AGREE!! Hughes net SUCKS and I can't wait until my contract is up so I can CANCEL!!! Should have just stuck it out on dial up . I end up using it anyway.

• Be
    Bert Oct 29, 2008

Hughes Net is the worst service I have ever experienced. They out-source their tech support to people in Asia. Their Fair Access Policy is merely a gimmick to boost you into a higher service brackett. They don't meet the barest essentials of their contract and they don't care. Hello law suit!!!

• Do
    Douglas Wall Oct 23, 2008

An explanation of how the FAP is determined and a way of finding out if you are approaching the threshold.

voicefordecency.com/tech_support.php?pg=pg2

• Do
    Douglas Wall Oct 23, 2008

Here is an explanation of how the FAP is determined and access to monitor your usage. The bad news is that you have to do math to see if you are approaching the limit.