Complaints & Reviews

slow as dial-up

Not Faster Than Dial-Up, Fair Use Policy is a Scam

Hughesnet is not faster than dial-up. But that is not the worst part of doing business with them. They will subject you to a FAP "Fair Access Policy" which limits your daily downloads. However, the page they have set up for you to monitor you usage as per their records has a 4-hour lag time!! So there is no way to monitor your usage.

I am a computer professional who lives in the middle of nowhere. Hughesnet is my only option. I tried dial-up, but I was connecting at 20k. With Hughesnet I get closer to 56k and in the middle of the night, more like 100k. I regularly get suspend. I get suspend as much as once per week. At this point, I let it dictate my days off, or I do not internet dependant parts of my work.

It in inconvenient, expensive and I have lost money on deadline deals when they suspended me. They are the worst company I have ever dealt with. Can't get them on the phone--ever. I sent them over 50 emails complaining, every single response from them was either written by a robot, a drone, or someone who had never used a computer or the English language.

Finally, they offered me a download manager when I signed up, this would help my suspension problem, they told me having a MAC would be no problem.

But now they tell me they have nothing to offer MAC users and I can cancel my account with them for $480.00!!

Not MAC friendly--do not even bother if you use MAC.

If you have any other choice--any at all--DO NOT GO WITH HUGHESNET

S.S.

jay landen Oct 28, 2008

Slow hughesnet, That is a understatement. I have had hughes for about 2 years, they are the worst thing I have ever done. The Truth about Hughesnet is that they are a scam. Selling slow speed net for crazy prices.. I wish I could sue for false advertising...

worst customer service ever!

When we first moved to an extremely remote area of Northern Arizona Hughes Net was about the only choice we had for internet service, even dial-up was not there! It took us almost a month of calls and complaints to finally get someone there to install (oh and we had to put in our own pole as the tech refused that made us wait an additional 2 weeks).
Then this year we moved to Eastern New Mexico. When I called to tell them I couldn't really understand the person, as he was NOT AMERICAN, but he did tell me it would take 3-5 days for installation. Seven days later I call Hughes Net back to find out what happened, again a NON AMERICAN tells me who the tech is and to call them. When I did I found out that it was the same RUDE tech from the year before in CENTRAL ARIZONA! He very rudly says I do not go to NM, you need to call Hughes Net and fix this! So once again I get yet ANOTHER accent, only this time we are disconnected, after he puts me on hold for the 3rd or 4th time. I call again, another accent, she says call our distributor, I ask why should I be calling them, THIS IS YOUR SERVICE! Then she says she can't help that I need to be transferred to ADVANCED TECH SUPPORT! OH so they have people who do not understand or speak English very well as REGULAR TECH SUPPORT, but guess what for ADVANCED TECH SUPPORT I got an AMERICAN!!! He however was a little rude as he told me he didn't know why I did not just call the Distributor, that he himself COULD escalate my problem/complaint but that it would take A LOT longer. So when I finally get all the info to call them myself (see I didn't have the info before, yet they all thought I SHOULD have) I find out that the person who had me on the phone for 30 minutes on my first call to set up the re-install left my FORMER address as the install location! That was why I got the AZ tech!
I am so fed up with the LACK of customer service with Hughes Net, they are a very POOR excuse for a company. For anyone who remembers way back when BELL was the only phone company and then AT&T took over, the customer service from them (which was HORRIBLE) is better than HUGHES NET!
As soon as I can cancel this service I will, and I will warn anyone I can NOT to try them EVER!!! NOTHING is worth the bad service they give both in customer service and with the SPEED the service actually gives! (a snail moves faster)

• Bo
    Bonnie Aug 19, 2008

This is the crappiest company ever. Your story could be mine exactly with just a change of location. We actually put in our pole per the specs from HughesNet and the installer came out and said the pole was the wrong size and charged us $150.00 to put in a pole. I have had several outages during sunny days and since I have two home based businesses I lost a a lot e-mails and some customers. I can't send e-mail with picture attachments or the recepients receive them 100+ times. They freak out because they think I have sent them a virus. HughesNet is the only deal in town for me right now because I live in a rural area. It is severly limiting my business growth and causing me unnecessary stress. During the last outage less than one year from the date of install a transmitter was fried. They told me the transmitter was covered under warranty but the labor was not. The guys that cam out to make the repair to me it was covered under waranty and that I did not owe them anything. Well HN took $125.00 out of my checking account for the labor!!! This was an unauthorized debit and when I called to give them he** of course I got someone that does not understand English. I truly hate this company. It is almost worth moving to be able to have DSL. I am so sorry that others folks have ahd to deal with the craziness.

• Ra
    Randy Danner Aug 21, 2008

I'm over in old Kentucky, I've had the same problem with them for two weeks, I get the entire run around from Tech Support. They wont transfer me to Advanced Tech Support, And I have to deal with all these non American speaking fools. Even went to Customer Support to try to get help but nooooooooo, THEY WILL NOT HELP THEIR CUSTOMERS! If your out looking for a Net company, DO NOT get Hughes Net, Their probably the worst one out there.

• Sc
    Scott W. Sep 03, 2008

Absolutely correct, on all fronts, each and every complaint. I live very rurally as well, and until last week, thought HughesNet was my only option. It sickened me to think I was stuck with them. Well, when I ran headlong into one of those insidiously stupid Hughesnet tech support reps on teh phone because my modem crashed, I got fed up, and called an alternate satellite internet provider in the area. She told me they were backed up for three weeks, BUT, that I should give my cell phone provider a call, see if they offered wireless internet for the home, and that most did now. Soooooo...

For the record, I am cancelling my Hughes Net account (I was accidentally smart enough to not renew the long-term contract when it expired after 15 months), and switching to my cellular provider's (ALLTELL, in this case) Wireless internet. Not because it will be faster or more reliable - it won't be.

BUT, what it DOES offer is the following - and I am sure that any other cell phone provider wireless service (Verizon, Sprint, etc.) will do the same:

1 -- I can drive up the road for hardware replacement, if necessary.
    2 - The Tech Support reps all speak English - and not as their 5th or 6th language.
    3 - They actually CARE if your hardware isn't working. No begging for help required.
    4 - When I called ALLTELL's Data Dept. to inquire about their home service, the guy on the phone was honest about the speed and connection issues they had. HE did tell me, however, that before year's end, as he understoood it, they were going to be increasing their speed 3 times over. I wasn't sure what that meant exactly (he was comparing their present speed to DSL), but, time will tell. I'm willing to risk it, if it means I never, ever have to talk to Hughesnet again. Ever. HA!

The pitfalls:

I have been "kicking the tires" on this wireless svc. from ALLTELL for a few days - I have a 15-day grace period to decide if it will all work ok. Here's what I have found:

1 - Just liked the dreaded "Dropped Call" issue with cell phones, you will get a "dropped connection" from time to time.
    2 - It isn't much faster than Hughesnet, if at all.
    3 - It basically works like your cell phone (see item #1), in that if your signal degrades, so will your connection.

Bottom line, I haven't had any real problems since Saturday, and when I switched the location of the USB access card to a different location, it has stopped dropping connection altogether.

If you live somewhere without DSL or cable access, as nearly all of us do if we were unfortunate enough to have to hitch our web-wagon to HughesNet, seriously, look for cellular provider-based alternatives, and, at the very least, sign the MINIMUM contract Hughesnet requires, then don't renew. Leave the door open so you can gleefully throw them - and their idiotic idea of tech support - right through it.

Good luck all. And Hughesnet? Good riddance.

• Ra
    Randy Roberts Oct 27, 2008

We’ve been with HughesNet for what seems like an eternity. If I had another choice – any other choice I’d change in a second. I’ve had little or no service for the past 15 days and have waited, taken time off from work, lost business and more while waiting on “advanced customer support”. I’m not real bright but given the level of customer support I’ve gotten thus far “advanced customer support” can’t be better than mediocre. I have a collection of incident numbers and pseudonyms for people who have names unpronounceable in the English language. Eventually some company will come along and provide average customer service and the fine folks at HughesNet will be out of business and I’ll laugh as they go down the tubes.

• Du
    Durgency May 01, 2009

Yep. I see I'm not the only one. HughesNet is the only internet available where I live in the high desert of Arizona and they take advantage of that. Everytime the wind blows, my satelitte dish stops working and they need to send out a tech to re-align it for $125 a visit! And that is if I'm lucky enough to get a call back from the service technician. Currently I have been calling everyday since April 3rd, when the wind blew down my dish. It has been almost a month and no one has called me back. Furthermore my bill is still charging me a internet service fee although I have called their hotline in India many times only to get their empty promise that I won't be charged a service fee. Is there any way all of us could do a class action lawsuit and at least get out of our contracts? It would be nice to get back all the money we put towards the crappy equipment too. I wish I saw this site before I ever signed up with those @$$#*!&s.

madderthanmad Jan 12, 2010

This is the worst company we have ever dealt with. Had them for over 5 years because no other service available at the time. Paid over $600 for the equipment, then $60 per month on top of that for very very slow unreliable service! All the comments about dealing with non-english people is true. You can barely understand them! Then AT&T finally offered DSL in our area, so we tried to get off Hughes Net back in the summer. They would not cancel us on the date requested, told us to call back on the exact day of cancellation. DUH! Why couldn't a computer company cancel on the day we called?! We got on AT&T and kept getting bills from HN. Tried one more time to cancel and they charged us $117.98. We Finally paid it to get them to cancel and we were told that would be payment in full!!! Got another bill for 43.98 plus a $5 billing fee. We called again and let me mention that no one NO ONE is willing to work with you! Kept us on the phone nearly an hour each time on numerous occasions, could not find supervisors, etc etc. They are a joke. Today, I spent another hour and the idiot and the supervisor would not get the 48.98 taken off because they said we have to pay for the service even after the cancellation date because they will not and I mean WILL NOT completely cancel on the date they said we are paid in full---with the explanation of saying that we have to pay all the bill thru the last billing cycle! WHAT????? So again they were charging us for service we did not need and had cancelled. DO NOT deal with this company. They are horrible and complete rip offs and have no intention of working with you. We are not paying them another dime because two people said it was paid in full with confirmation numbers and names. AWFUL AWFUL COMPANY!!!

worst product on earth

Do not use hughes satellite service! You will be better served and happier with dial up. And if you don't even have a phone line then just go without internet service.

It is a waste of money and time. They limit what they say to you and never hand you a real contract. All things are listed on their website if you can look at it. I got the phone off the front page of the site in a spare moment at the library so I could keep my job that I was lucky enough to transfer to home. Everything was agonizing and the cost, because of the troubles, really makes you want to throw up.

In the sales call they make it sound like there is no obligation in the 30 day trial period. Well...

The installation and equipment is $400.00 they do not tell you that you will only get $200.00 returned if you mail it back to them (In maryland, I am in california). Meaning I have to pay for the shipping... And this is the best part. Iiiiiiii have to un-install it!! So what happens to older people, they let themselves get screwed out of this small portion because of the hassle and the danger. Should I risk my life going up on the roof to uninstall the equipment??? What happens if I fall and hurt myself... Or die... Are they liable? Well... They stated to me on cancellation that they are not responsible for uninstalling, so I ask where can I find that on your website or in the disclosure I never received in paper or email? I had to keep digging and digging and eventually found it. But... It is not something that was "presented" at any time nor was there a sign off by me listed on the so-called "contract" that specified the disclosure it was on. Everything is vague in conversation and all they can do is apologize, which by the way is very often, perfunctory and annoying. Basically it says 'what a bummer' and 'nothings gonna be done'. So I just said give me case # to document.

Of course I will be pro-rated on the first month's service that I used about 10 times. Shoulda called sooner.

Oh yes. And as I got my return authorization number I realize she is giving me the info to handwrite on the returning equipment. They don't email you anything or send you what any business will officially send you. What a mickey mouse outfit they are. And of course I have to pay for the return shipping which I have estmated at $75.00

So let's review: I will get only $200.00 refunded less the $75.00 shipping I will pay, plus lost time of work, which leaves me $125.00 if I do not use that and more for any injury I may incur uninstalling their piece of sh — equipment. Is it worth it or can I get more out of it by creating a bonfire and watch them melt, distort and blacken.

It would probably make me feel much better. The other way may give ma a stroke or worse. I really feel sorry for the other suckers who dealt with this longer than I did.

Good news for me: I found a wireless dsl broadband connection that is underground. I have a pole on my roof and the connection is excellent!! I am soooo sorry I didn't know about it before. I only want to keep my job and hughes should help people do that too!! Not just their customers but their employees. Once too many people get dissatisfied they will lose money. Do not invest in this company either.

And one last thing, the way you have to dig to send them an email is really sad for an internet service provider. Even the idiot I cancelled with sadi i'd have to write to them for contact because she didn't know, had trouble finding it and never bothered to find out or just a real idiot!

Sam Tubman Apr 30, 2008

Last weekend Hughes net took over the direcway site and I've had no email or use of email. They asked to wait but I'm loosing money because I can't get my email. I've called and called and been given case Numbers but I still have no email. One way for me to work is through agencies that contact me by email. Yes they use phones but the first to call back gets the job for that shift. I work Trauma and have for 31 years. It's my life and my email was fine till hughes took over. Now I have not been too work for almost 5 days. This sucks! I hate hughes.net. I have a contract for 15 more months because they said to buy the DW 7000 and it's supposed to make things better . Wrong! It's worse than ever. I hate Hughes.net and I don't know what too do?

• Ar
    Art Ward Sep 02, 2008

Well its a terrible same I did'nt read these thousands of conplaints before I became, another victim of Huges net hell.
    Huges makes corp. america look like kindregarten.
    God help us if corp.america ever get's that bad.
    I think it's nothing but theift by deception, u never get a straight answer from their complaint department. They try to send you to their technical department. What a joke, I ask this tech if he really was a tech, well he hem hawed around the question. He ask me to to rediculess things and when I told him I'd already been there and done that, this bozo tell's me to run speed checks for the next three days and to do them three times a day, unlike the last tech person I had talked to the lastime I'd called who said to do it for two days. (to keep you off their back i guess). Oh I might add this person was not good with the english language, India I would guess his home, as all their techs and customer service rep's are. Some more out sourcing the gentle words would be ( cost effectiveness ).
    These people that work for Hughes as rep's and tech's must have a degree in lying and word trickery...and must not have trouble sleeping at night. Amazing what people will shrink to to earn a dollar.
    Well I would'nt say your a dummy if you read this and still fall for their many games of getting your money, and if you add it up in a two year contract it's a tidy little sum. Not to mention the brain damage that goes with it.
    I won't go into the cost as many of the people that have already mentioned in this forum, as it sickens me to think about it, but if your the type of person that likes to get a slap in the face to your intelligents, then you need to sign a contract with the money hungry liars and thiefs. If their is a God these people are in danger of Hell's fire. (personally I don't think so.) Beware of Huges net. the owner is most likeky the anti-christ. LOL
    Oh and one more thing go to the web page listed here and read. there could be a class action law suit. Read this.

DirecPC must remove their "Fair Access Policy"

• Valerie Oct 24, 2008

My satellite broadband internet from HughesNet runs at two kilobytes every four second, or about two hundred times slower than dial up service providers.

• Me
    meagane Feb 13, 2010

i was scam for 178 from hughes and not given account number my card was charge2 time with out me knowing i was lie to about my service toally does anyone know how i can get my money back please help me bust these liars =(

they ripped me off and insufficient customer service

I received a bill for $250 for a month worth of service when they sales rep. assured me that it would only be $60 I am a single mom and a full time student i need the internet to do my research for my papers i now i am sitting here trying to get a hold of someone to speak about my bill and all i get is an answering machine. Ever since i gotten hughes net i have only been able to talk to one person and i couldn't figure out what he was saying(tech dept.) The only contently have had problems with problems with my service. I haven't even been able to set up my email. If you want to be ripped off then hughes net is for u.

rip off-dishonest, disgraceful company

I was with Hughesday back when it was Direct Way. I wasn't crazy about the company, but since we in Lamoine do not qualify for Al Gores remote area DSL program (sic) I was forced to pay the high prices of Hughesnet for my home business. I bought all my equipment, since in the winter I would have to shut down my service to visit my company locations.
I needed the faster speed, and in order to get that had to get the 7000 router. But it was close to $300.00 to purchase, so I looked into the free 7000 router as long as you committed to 2 years. I called the sales department, told them that I had planned on staying with Hughesnet, but shut down my service every winter for a few months, but then turn it back on. They said NO PROBLEM-just commit to 4 years. All this for the privlege of spending $100 a month for just ISP service.
Well, needless to say, after I shut it down for the winter months, I get a bill for $300. When I called them, they said not to worry, when you pay it when you turn it back on you will get a credit for $300. Yeah, right. Never happened. I spent HOURS on the phone, and told just today (8/9/08 by Marlon) that I will NEVER SEE THAT MONEY AGAIN wether I'm with them 2 years, 4 years or 10 years.
Hughesnet company LIES like a rug, they are rude, and they don't give a rats a$$ about their customers. Everything you read about them on this website is true.

wrongful debit

On or around June 25, 2008 I called HughesNet Commications, and ordered service for my home. My wife and I are on a very tight and very limited income I'm on Social Security and we made an effort to set aside $69.00 for service and installation, and the lady that took my order did not tell me of the hundreds of dollars that it would cost.
So lo and behold (15) minutes after the installer left my credit card sent me a message that $509.41 had been debited from my account. I ordered the special they were advertising and it states that (0) down and we would be charged $79.00 dollars a month for a period of 24 months. And installation was free as long as the installer did not have to put a pole in the ground for the dish, which he did not have to. Anyway after (39) phone calls and (39) headaches since July 1, 2008 when the service began I was promised by representative's of the company and Supervisor's that this matter would be taken care of with the utmost urgency, so what began was an innocent act of trying to simplify matters of cutting the high cost of internet service and regular phone service and just have one bill. But when you have to go through the embarrassing process of being degraded and talked to like we were the one's at fault, well I hope to make a stand, with the folks out there that try to live on $945.00 a month then someone decides to kindly help themselves to your money, then there is something wrong with our system. Oh just remember when you make phone calls and the recording says this call may be monitored for quality assurance, and ask them to play it back for you we tried but when they reviewed my initial conversation and they felt like they were Justified in their decision to charge me all the charges, but refused to play it back or send me proof., So as they say lesson learned. One last thing if you decide to terminate your service they charge $ 300.00 dollars for early termination and $ 210.00 installation fee. Do the Math and remember do Business remember to have your lawyer on retainor.

• To
    Tom Shipley Sep 30, 2008

Our modem died and we called to have it replaced. The installer said that they no longer used the old modem and we would have to pay for an upgrade. He needed a credit card and my wife gave him hers. The account had originally been on my card. That was in November. Nearly a year later my wife and I were comparing notes and noticed that was Hughesnet had been charging both credit cards for the same service. Upon calling we were told that we had two accounts and they were charging us for both. We were told that we had to have an upgrade and that it needed to be charged to our credit card right then and there. We were led to believe that they were transferring the charge from one card to another. I guess because they had the two credit card numbers they could charge both of them under the ruse that we hadn't canceled the account charged on the original credit card. In any other circumstance this would be call credit card fraud and that it how we are approaching it. Master Card, FCC, FTC, BBB, and our attorney. They nicked us for $600 and we are willing to pay a lot more than that to pursue the matter. They get away with this because they can because nobody is willing to take it to the limit, even if it costs them more money. Thankfully I have some bucks so I'll put it down to doing my part to help put a little dent in this online... there is nothing you can do about it way we have come to accept as business as usual.

• Mi
    Mike Bonner Mar 23, 2009

I have had Hughes.net for several years, with many service interruptions. Last Thursday I tried to call them to quit the service as I had it replaced with directv.net. Ive been unable to get through to have it canceled. I've been issued several caase numbers and then get transferred over and told to either call back in an hour or put on hold. I've held now for three hours on and off. It is now Monday afternoon and I find they have charged me for another month yesterday (Monday).
    This is a disgustingly lousy company.
    Mike Bonner

kingofthestalk Apr 16, 2010

My company has had 3 Hughesnet accounts for 3 years(3 seperate offices). We have recently started using air cards and wanted to cancel our hughesnet service. I called on January 26, 2010 and after an hour (Yes, an hour to cancel service) and 2 service reps (the first rep didn't have the ability to cancel services) I was told it was done. Febraury no bill from Hughes so I figured I was good to go. March credit card bill comes and lo and behold 3 charges from hughesnet for service. So, today I called hughesnet and told them what happened and they claim I never called to cancel my service. They show a call was made for our account but they have no record of it being cancelled. After 2 hours on the phone and being transfered from supervisor to supervisor. I was called a liar and hung up on. They are so crooked that instead of dealing with a problem and apologizing and offering to refund money...they just hang up on you.

In my opinion Hughes is a crooked company to deal with. They have been a pain since day 1!!!

poor service

Internet connectivity is about 25% successful... sometimes days (sunny, clear ones!) go by without succe...

dishonest representation

Hughes not only is expensive with poor service, they are dishonest. I recently upgraded by service to a new router after being told it would make my lousy response time better. A couple of hundred dollars later I have a new satellite dish, new modem. They left the old satellite dish at the top of my driveway. Unbeknownst to me, they created a second account and kept charging be the first. Double billing. They made it sound like my fault and did not refund my money. I am writing a letter to the FCC. This company should not be allowed to do business.

f.a. p & installation fees

My complaint to hughes is they fail to let the customer know about f.a.p until the service is installed. I had hughes installed, unaware that I was limited to the amount of downloading I could do in a 24 hr. period. When my computer started to not function thats when I was told about f.a.p, since I do alot of downloading, hughes is not for me. I called to discontinue the service and speaking with a supervisor I explained this to him, and that I thought hughes should have told me about f.a.p before they ever sent the contractor to install the dish. The supervisor told me I should have asked, why would I ask about something I, ve never heard of? If I would have known about f.a.p hughes would have never been to my house! Instead I get a pole that cost me $100.00 because the contrator wants to drill holes in my roof he can, t guarntee won, t leak! And hughes wants to charge me a $400 installation fee if I stop service in the 30 days grace period, the supervisor said hughes would return $200 if I sent back certain items. I think hughes is misleading and decietful by not letting the public know very clearly about f.a.p up front. I, m an honest man an I feel hughes has took my money deceitfully

• Do
    don davis Jul 25, 2008

I agree with bird dog. I have had the same experience. What is the best download manager to use with Hughes Net?

fraud and scam

Sent via e-mail and mail:

July 21, 2008

Mr. Pradman P. Kaul
President and CEO
Hughes Network Systems, LLC
11717 Exploration Lane Germantown, MD, 20876

As a long time customer (Eight Years) it is sad to see the state that Hughes has come to. I have hung in their through Direcpc, Direcway, and Hughes.net, but today I wish I was using some other system. I have both personal and business accounts with Hughes. While I applaud Hughes for trying to keep up with all of the new innovations, the procedures for implementing these changes are very amateurish, and your planners should be fired.

You can verify my accounts through today’s incident report number 2304118. Since I plan on posting this on the various blogs, I will not include additional information. Hughes did a web conversion starting July 18th for your web hosting. In the last six months Hughes has done numerous upgrades, and the implementation has been worst each time. Key data in large contact files has been lost, implementation has been started, but so poorly implemented, that it was abandoned. Hughes boosts about the ability to get e-mails anywhere in the world for travelers like me, so I have store my e-mails on line. I maintain a history of e-mails on your server to preserve them. There are at least five hundred.

But these past few days have been unbelievable. An e-mail came out from [protected]@hughesnetwebservices.com that was three short paragraphs long stating: (1) here is where you go to get your e-mails in the future, (2) we are changing our billing name, (3) here is where all of your old information is, and by the way you have seven days to “retrieve” it from the old server.

In this computer age, is it that hard to write a program to move the old e-mails, and my 300 plus contacts? I contacted your [protected] number for help. Those in India who answered your line did not even have the correct information such as the old or new website. The man that was assisting me tried to help, and was assisting me in the transfers, but it was taking hours. (and I do mean hours) This continued as he worked his way through the files, until his manager told him that he had to stop, as it was my responsibility to transfer the information, even if I had to transfer them one at a time, not in a group as he was doing.

As to the contacts list, there does not seem to be a download feature to enable you to download all at once, and if there is, the instructions are certainly hidden. As a CPA, I would be ashamed of treating my clients this way. As a litigation expert, I also know the value of maintaining these e-mails, so I have no choice but to spend the time to transfer them myself. What has happened to your customer service that you imply is there in your national advertisements.

If I had the time, I would change my business and personal e-mails. As it is I have wasted time trying to figure out the instructions that were provided, and writing this letter. That I took time to tell the CEO of the problem is an indication of how upset I am about this situation. This is one of many implementation problems I have encounter with Hughes in the last six months. If you expect to keep customers, you had better get new planners for you implementations.

• Me
    meg Oct 17, 2008

i'll pull up your acct later.

• Gr
    GrumpyPot Dec 28, 2009

You complain that they need to have better implementers, better plans, etc. I suspect that they have done financial analysis and know to a nicety exactly how poor their service can be before the number of people leaving exceed the savings from providing poor service. During one of my many many technical assistance calls to Hughesnet I managed to complain my way up the food chain to some manager of managers who bluntly replied to my threat of quitting Hughesnet: "We are getting so many new customers with our aggressive advertising campaign that it doesn't matter if we lose some old customers."

They don't care... it's not profitable.

kimbarker Jan 31, 2018

Get it out folks how crooked these people are. Dumping mine also. Sick what hughsnet is doing to good people.

kimbarker Jan 31, 2018

They now are running with dish net as a provider to net. Now dumping dish for just advertising with these crooks.

• Da
    david jamesboston Jun 11, 2018

I agree, this is a scam for sure and is definitely worse than dial up used to be. Obviously this company has no conscience because they put people under a two year agreement while fully knowing it's bogus. May the heavenly Father destroy this company and all the liars within it. I pray this in the Mighty name of YAHWEH.

terrible service

Hughesnet---Don't Do It! I've been a customer of this satellite internet provider for five year...

double billing

I have been a customer of DirecWay/Hughes Net since they were DirecWay and then changed to Hughes Net. I...

stealing money misleading consumers

I called and ordered the hughes net 0 upfront plan. I reviewed my bank account after installation and found they charged me 479.00. They said I ordered the plan where you buy the equipment. They lied installers work on sunday and the installer came out and he took advantage of the fact I wasn't there and told my family he couldn't mount the dish on the roof so he charged 125.00 in either check or cash. I am calling my debit card company and disputing this transaction, I am also going to file with the state attorney generals office.

• Li
    Lisa Canter May 22, 2009

Thank you so much, they did the exact same thing to me, said they couldn't mount it and wanted $133.00 to set up a pole. Than billed me 30 days earily and won't give me a refund, if you go to the general I have several other people to back you up. I'm on a 30 day trial and they won't return my money, they asked me to return there dish and box and they would give me $200.00 and that was it. They took $475.00 out of my account and that's not including the $133.00 for that stupid pole... Please get bak to me if you can my e - mail is [email protected] Thank You...

worst company ever

I live out in the country a little ways so I thought my only option was satellite internet... So I bit the...

terrible service and false advertisement

The service at this company totally stinks. The people that you try to talk with cannot speak good English and they have standard answers. My internet download speed sucks 8 hours out of 24. Of the remaining 16 hours, we sleep approximately 8 so that only give us about 8 hours of what is suppose to be quality service. Every day at 4:00 PM the speed drops from the low to mid 700kbps to the mid to low 80 kbps. It stays this low until new day starts at 12:00 AM. I have called at least 30 times and no help. Then all of a sudden my speed is up and stays up for about a week and then back down.

I have looked else where but the only thing that even comes close to good service is WildBlue. When my speed is low the people that I know that have WildBlue their download speed is 900-1000 kbps. Am looking at this service but have not changed yet. There really ought to be something that we, as a group, could do to get Hughes Network Systems on the carpet for illegal advertisement.

Might as well forget it, don't guess that we stand a chance.

LaMar.

• Cb
    cbowers Jul 01, 2008

Contact the state attorney generals office and the better business bureau in your area and file a complaint. If enough people file a complaints, something will get done.

• Cb
    cbowers Jul 01, 2008

We are experiencing the same problem. Tech says speed of 17 kbps is good, but we have documentation that speed is normally up to about 7oo kbps. They are in breach of contract. We have been paying for a service they don't seem to be able to provide, all they are interested in is the money they collect every month. We must stick together.

• Bu
    Buddhaman Jul 02, 2008

I had Hughes Net for almost 2 years. I was paying $100.
    a month for a service that worked part of the time and then it was super slow. Broadband what a joke. I was finally able to get DSL and it is a godsend. I cancelled Hughes over 2 months ago and their equiptment is still here. They want me too spend another hour on the phone talking to someone I can't understand to get it removed. It can rust away before I call them again.

• Ka
    Kay Arnold Jul 18, 2008

I am upset I have been trying to terminate my contract with them. I called them to terminate on May 29th they said they told me that I had to call them back on the 25th of May. I have been traveling and without my mail or computer for two months and find that they have charged my credit account twice and won't undo the charges so says Lola in the Philippines. I really don't like it when I have to deal with people in other countries about business that is supposed to be American.

My advice is don't deal with them at all if you can help it.

MARJ Aug 14, 2008

I have Wild Blue and don't recommend you change to it. Our complaints about it are same as yours are about Hughes!

• Oh
    ohsherri Sep 14, 2009

My Aunts internet service has never worked since day one and she pays $ 71.00 a month. She is 69 yrs old so I have repeatedly call the peovider and they want to charge her $125.00 to send out a tech. We have went through all the process on the telephone and the connection is slower then dail up. But they arrsure us it is working ok. She can't attach files and the computer always says internet connection problem contact server. They won't work with us. We go over everything IPP ect and this dosen't change a thing. We want to cancel service but she has a contract for two yrs and they will charge her over $400.00 to do so. They are robbing her blind. She pays monthly for a service that dosen't work. Do not get Hughes internet service, you will be sorry you did so.

• So
    somecallemwaffles Sep 14, 2009

It IS possible that something is amiss with the computer. It may be worth your while to have the system checked, especially if it as older system. There are any number of problems that could affect Internet connection and speed. If you don't want Hughes to do the diagnostic there are any number of other companies who can do it for you. Its typically cheaper to take the computer to them, but they can test the internet connection if you have them come to the house.

Additionally, if you have a friend with a laptop they could bring it over and try the internet connection on their computer. In the event the laptop also has problems connecting then call back and have them explain why two different computers have the same problem.

• Sn
    snickers88 Dec 29, 2009

My service from Hughes net was so slow so I called them. Apparently because of some so called fairness act, all hughes net customers are only allowed a 300mb download per month. If you exceed this download limit, your internet will be slow and worthless. Here's the kicker, the tech directs me to Hughes services website where they will sell you tokens for $7.50 a piece and you will again have super fast internet. They also give 1 free token per month. I don't know about anyone else but doesn't this sound like it should be illegal. I mean, we are paying for service aren't we??? And how exactly does that make it fair for all hughes net customers, whoever wants to pay more gets better service???? This is ridiculous and I am going to file a complaint! By the way, I used the free token and my internet is super fast again. The website, so you can see for yourselves is www.services.hughes.net.

• Tb
    tbone venable Jan 25, 2011

you know they should tell you about the[so called]fairness act when you order the service.i didn't know about it untill i called about my service was slow-if it picked up at all-then that's when i found out about the tokens for $7.50-that's bs

hughesnet offers poor and expensive service

We recently moved to a mountainous, rural area where satellite internet was our only way to get online. I...

you cannot manage your usage, but you will get suspended

It is now 11:30pm. The latest data showing on my HughNet customer usage page is 4pm. There is no hope of properly monitoring your downloads and yet you will be subject to very strict usage policies, one that will not even let you download a file as large as a show on Itunes or an update to your operating system. Daily monitoring of their usage page reveals, on average, a four-hour lag time. This lag time is unacceptable, especially on a tight table of 24-hour usage. Downloading statistics should be updated at least every 15 minutes.

This company behaves unfairly to customers in general. People who are subject to restricted use have a right to monitor their usage in REAL TIME. HughesNet.com creates random rules with harsh punishment. I have written a new slogan for them: HughesNet... it's faster than dial-up, sort-of. Actually, between about 3pm and 12am, it is as slow as dial-up, faster speeds are achieved late night, when you are asleep.

Don't waste your money or time with this company.

• Ld
    LDStechMD Sep 01, 2009

I agree fully, and have approached Hughes on providing a REAL TIME (why wait 15 minutes?) monitor more than once. I always get the same the response - nothing offered through Hughes, but they are working on it. Of course, that's crap. FAP may have originally been implimented to limit bandwidth hogs, but Hughes has since realized they can turn it into a revenue generator. I've been with Hughes for 9 years, and have watch the service go down, while the push for more revenue goes up.

I've been in the tech field since the mid 1990's, moving from dial-up to ISDN and finally to Satelite (no other high speed option in my area). If it weren't for the cost, I'd go back to ISDN simply for reliabilty, even though it is not as fast as Hughes (except during certain periods of the day).

Hughes recongized that even common web browsing is creating greater bandwidth demands, with more and more sites utilizing flash, etc. Add to that all the other large size downloads available, and Hughes recognized a cash cow. There are more levels of service available now, and each one has a higher threshold limit, theoretically letting you download more by paying more. The bandwidth is available - if you want to pay their horrendous prices for it. But if you want to stream anything, dowload movies, etc., you will pay to get it, right? that's their motivation.

There are real-time tools available to monitor usage, but they also generally cost money (so far I haven't found any good free ones). Hughes SHOULD provide something that, as you say, should give AT LEAST 15 minutes updates, but since the real time tech is available, that is what they really should use. My hughes usage will actually update with a 2hour lag, but you can still download a lot in 2 hours, so that's not feasible, either. The truth is they don't want us to monitor - they want us to upgrade and spend more money.

• Bu
    Bud Parker Sep 04, 2009

Boy, you hit the nail on the head! Once they have you in a two-year contract, they can inflict the "Policy" on you as an inducement to cough up more money. I called the foreign manned service desk four times today and got nowhere.

Another poster said she got good, fast service from this number: 301-428-5500. Pass it around. I, for one, am going to mobilize a campaign to flood State’s Attorney Generals offices with valid complaints. If nothing else it’s fraudulent advertizing. Also, the BBB and Federal Trade Commission.

johnsan Oct 27, 2009

Hughes net has to be by far the worst internet service i have ever used. Not only do they charge you a ridicolous amount for installation and thier 125.00 pole that is ### considering I have plenty of places to mount it. I can't get on the internet more than about two hours and my speed goes slower than dial up. And don't try and call them and have a conversation with some ###er in another country who speaks ninety mile an hour broken english which you can't understand a dam word of. I absolutely hate this internet provider, they are a rip off and all they want to help you is more money. After one month of service and the highest internet bill I have ever paid I am willing to tell them no english speaking ### to take that bill, and pole, and dish sitting on it and shove it up thier candy ###!

• Ou
    Ours2use May 29, 2010

I think the fair access is a bunch of bull, as we are in the middle of 72 acres no one around us for 2 and 1/2 miles. Yet we can wake up and be suspended check usage time and it says 364 mega bites in one hour, from 6pm to 7pm. First of all no one was home at that time and with our computers that 364 mega bites it would have taken way longer than 1 hour. As they brag faster speed downloads etc NOT. We have monitored our downloads and most updates might be one or two gigs so go figure. That wasn't the only download they also said more was downloaded at 11p.m. to midnight we were in bed then again the next morning from 12 noon to 1p.m. again no one was on the computers as it was when we got online we noticed everything lagging bad. That is when my husband called and complained as this has been a problem with them continuously at least every other month we fight with them. And again the same conversation who lives next to us "no one" this battle is at least every 2 months. We don't have ipods etc nor do we download movies etc. At first the tech said we can't undo the suspended fair access that was with our first complaint. Then my husband upgraded giving us more bandwidth time. And it happened again this time the tech undid the fair access ..hmmm interesting as they said it couldn't be done. Then it happens again they suggest we monitor our downloads well we are notified when we get updates, but for a month they told my husband to check and keep a record of downloads and usages and times, funny nothing happened that month but they gave us a case number and would look into it . Now 2 months later this happens again the tech lifted the fair access suspend and gave us a case number saying they would look into it. Oh did I mention you now get a token to lift this as you have been a longtime customer. We didn't use our token. But if this was not a problem why offering of the token. Also if we were downloading all this stuff that they say we are we would be out of memory. Since they have taken over the service has been terrible but there is no other server except one and they only handle so many people and you have to keep calling them to see if anyone in this area has moved etc before you can replace them. Yes hughes net can say they are faster than dial up but not by much as my computer doesn't look like the one on the commercial while dial up is still loading. We have had our satilite for 20 yrs with direct tv and it wasn't till hughes net took over have we started this problem.
    Not a happy camper

rip off

There is no download manager for mac / itunes. And there are strict usage policies that will have you on almost constant suspension if you own a mac and sign-up with hughesnet. I am a mac user. I was told this would be no problem when I ordered. I was concerned about of being able to download large files and questioned the salesperson. I was told could get a download manager — no problem — and download large files between 3am and 6am.

There are no download managers for itunes, which is how macs download music and video files. I have called tech support many times. I am regularly on suspension, meaning no access to the internet for 24 hours. This has seriously hurt my business. The hughesnet phone computer keeps me on hold eternally, and hangs up on me regularly. They respond to support emails with useless rhetoric and form letters.

• Bi
    bill moss Jul 08, 2008

hughesnet is the worst going to get dsl.they wont your questionsthey wont even answer the phoneshow do they stayin busniessif they dont get me fixedand soon two months is too long to be without computeri will call tv have them come out and watch me pull it off the roofthis is the worst service i have seen dial up is betteranswer the damn phonefix my net or get it off my rooff

• De
    Dennis K. Cargill Nov 21, 2008

Hughesnet is the biggest rippoff I've been associated that I can remember. We got it ( DireCway) right after Hurricane Rita when the cable provider did not re establish service to my area. I was under the impression it was unlimited and never heard of the (Un ) Fair access policy until it became HughesNet. I was told I could upgrade to the HN7000S modem for faster connections and more usage.

• Ld
    LDStechMD Sep 01, 2009

Bill Moss, I can't even read your complaint. Ever hear of puncuation marks? It would help to know if you had a valid complaint if it were intelligible.

I dislike Hughes as much as the next person. I've been with them for 9 years (they have always been Hughes - Direcway was a branding name, just like HughesNet is now). They have always had a FAP - just like any other legal BS, you have to read the information. Don't blame them for having an FAP and you not knowing. Yes, it's vague and anything BUT fair, but they had it 9 years ago. Wild Blue also has one.

I don't recommend satelite to anyone. The only reason I still have it is because there just is no other viable option in my area. There are plenty of legitimate complaints about Hughes, including the implementation of the FAP. No knowing it existed won't hold water for a real complaint report, though.

Real problems - Implementation of FAP: i.e, over what time fram is the thrreshold accumulation calculated?
    Reinstatement of service after FAP implimentation (discrestionary, and often exceeds 24 hours).
    Why FAP levels can be raised by buying next higher service tier (availabitly goverened by monopolistic pricing).
    Documented limiting of bandwidth between the hours of 4:00 PM and Midnight Eastern time.
    Hughes charges $125 just to call a service tech to come to your home, without telling that you still have to pay them, OR telling you that you can call them yourself (i had to do both).

• Cp
    CPogo Oct 13, 2010

I have Hughesnet because I have no other option. The price is ridiculous and the service is horrific! If you have any other option, take it! If you download ANYTHING you will be put on the FAP and it's slower than dial up. The download manager is a joke! Applications like iTunes are not compatible with it.
    If anyone knows of a better option in an area that has very poor cell service, no cable and no DSL I would love to hear about it!

ripped off

I was tired of dial up as most of the complaints have written about. So I decided to go with hughesnet. Boy was that a mistake. I was at home when the installer put the system in and was at my pc when he fired it up. Took about 30 mins to load everything. Tools ect. So we decided to do a speed test. I had the pro plan, 1 meg down 200 kb up. The test did all of 192 kb down and 8kb up. I said hold on thats not right. Installer said it would get better in an hour or so. Back to surfing the net for an hour or so. With it dropping packets worse than dialup. The hughesnet website would not even come up with in 5 mins.

So I call tech support after the hour or so was up. Some guy I could not even understand tried to help me. I asked to be put on another sat. He said no. No help there we hung up... So I did another speed test 3 hours later (Around 11 pm) it was 200 kb down 12 kb up. I call tech support again. Same thing no help. Was told it is a shared service. I asked this guy so what do you tell the guys paying for the elite plan at 189$ a month for 3 megs down and they get about 300 kb? The tech said the more you pay the faster it is but its still shared. That sounds like fraud to me.

So I stopped payment on the 400$ check, canceled the service after contacting them 4 times in 24 hours I was told no we are not going to do anything to help you get better download speeds. I sent a letter in to the better business bureau. The bbb is still working on the complaint as we speak. I did receive a phone call from hughesnet asking me what happened I told that person the system is junk and it is fraud what you guys are doing. The person said well I checked the records and you never got to executive customer care. I said ya think? Maybe after 4 phone calls and telling the last tech I was going to stop payment on the check canceled my account (Which took about 2 seconds for them to do) maybe one of you executive persons should have called? I got a blank answer to that. I asked what happened to the customer is right policy is it dead and gone? She said no. I said yes it is have a good day.

So now I owe 199$ for something I don't even have. Plus I took the satellite system off my house and took it back to the installer myself. Now they want 300$ from me because I didn't return it. Errm yes I did back to where it came from.

Do not fool with hughesnet unless you have 400$ to throw away.

Raped ape.

ripped off

Hughes net is the worst service company I have ever dealt with in my life. When I just called to complain about my service bill being so high, I was just informed that they have been charging me for two accounts. After speaking to a supervisor, I discovered that it was really my fault you see, because "I" failed to cancel my first account when I upgraded my service to a faster router. Their calls centers are carefully constructed to take you into a complete dead end. I am appalled. Why they have any customers is unfathomable to me.

• Jk
    jking Apr 28, 2009

I THINK THIS IS THE BIGGEST FRAUD THERE EVERY WAS . As FOR as INTERNET. And as for fast serves it's not what they say it is. we might as well have had kept the diale up we had. I'ts about as fast as that. As for as money that too is a fraud they tell you one price and they take all the mony you have in the bank. I'm very dissadeisfied with the whoe thing, But they have you bye the balles now that they have you in there grips. once you sing a contrack you have to stay with them for 2 damm years befor you can get out of it or pay a large amount of money to get out of it.I was told that the price was 59.99 a month with taxes and they just took over 70.00 out of our account now they can't tell me that taxes or 20.00 dollors more a month.
    people who are on social securty always get riped off it's not funny.I just hope I can find a news carrer to get this too and have it posted all over where the world Ive made a copy of this letter for my recordes.
    yours truly custermer of hugenet.

• Li
    linksage Jan 04, 2010

They still have customers only because most of us have no frickin' choice. I've been looking for another provider only to find that every other one out there is just as sneaky and underhanded as Hughes. It's a monopoly, and it'd be great if someone could do something about it. I'd love to see this get taken into court. No one is happy with this joke of a company. I only wish I could find another ISP so my family could tell Hughes to shove it up theirs.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices