Holland and BarrettWorst customer service at store

S Review updated:

I bought “Organic Muesli” from this store, and while eating I found the fine sand kind of material in it, when I went to store to return the product I spoke tio the store manager and I am really sorry to say that the customer service at below store is very very bad, they are very very rude to the customers.

I am not happy the way the store manager argued with me, and he also had a tiff with another customer who was trying to explain my point. I am really sorry to say that they lost customers because of their rude behaviour with customers.

I suggest not to visit this store if you are looking for good customer service.

• Al
    A Leibbrandt Nov 18, 2010

I recently did a trial period as supervisor but was let go "Because I hadn't finished the work books in the 13 weeks they require" but I'd not yet been there 13 weeks and my books were all but complete, apart from the required managers signature at the end of each section. I left without causing a scene or fighting my point because it was obvious the manager disliked me- although that was the first time I got that impression from her, and I'm sure no one wants to work under those malicious conditions. My complaint, however, is that I've recently discovered that, I as well as my partner, are now banned from the shop? I can't think of any reason for this aside from the manager being vindictive; I created no scene, committed no crimes. Or is it just common practice to ban every ex-employee? I'd like to know if the manager's allowed to ban people randomly whenever she decides she dislikes them.

• Mo
    Mo L Feb 07, 2013

The online service is not good either. On trying to use their buy one, buy another for a penny offer and claim a reward voucher I was not able to make any sense of the online ordering service. I have sent two emails which have not been answered. So that's another long term customer lost.

• Rp
    rp76 Feb 05, 2014

I would like to complain about service received in Victoria station shop today. I asked for diet pills and I got a lecture about there being no magic pills and no advice on the products the store actually had shelved. The shop assistant even looked into my shopping bag from pret a manger and 'inspected' what I had in my bag. I felt under the Spanish inquisition for purchasing my lovingly handmade and calorie controlled food which mainly consisted of fruit anyway...I do not feel like being asked what I eat or do by some random guy I know nothing of... How patronising is this? Who does he think he is for looking into my bag? In short I did not buy anything because - poor me- I was in a hurry to work ( 8.45 in the morning Victoria station: where does he think people are going?) - I am not walking into that shop ever again -total waste of time -

• Di
    Disgruntled Staff Mar 09, 2014

I have worked for Holland and Barrett for about a year now and I can say that it is easily the worst company I have ever worked for. The company expects its newly recruited staff to complete tests and 3 encyclopedic sized work books; 1 of which to be completed within 4 weeks (which isn't likely to be done, I can say that).
    Then the company purely tells staff members to fabricate customer's stories and "make them your own experiences" in order to sell products. I, personally, have been told by my Area Manager to "make up stories" in order to reach my financial targets throughout the working day.

Training Updates are given to staff monthly. These Training Updates are often extremely random. One, on the other hand, stuck with me more than the rest. It was a 'media update' which explained some form of media was negatively discussing a product which Holland and Barrett offers. The message I gained from this Training Update was to prepare myself to defend the product in question by responding to any customer enquires saying "there are no tested performed which indicates that this product does NOT work". The product in question was raspberry ketones.
    Having taken the time to try a lot of the products myself, I can honestly say that 98% of product Holland and Barrett do not help customers in anyway. The company knows this, but still forces it's employees to lie in order to make a ridiculous turnover. If any complaints about products are made, those forcing employee's to fabricate the truth do not feel the wrath of disappointed customers.

So I suggest, if shopping in Holland and Barrett, study the ingredients of products. Most products Holland and Barrett offer are 'bulking agents' dominated; this means that you are consuming more of other ingredients than what the product aiming to provide you with. Vitamin D, for example: vitamin D is the least abundant ingredient found in Holland and Barrett's vitamin D products.

The company does have a 'money back guarantee' which means that if an individual feels a product hasn't helped them whatsoever, they are absolutely entitled to 100% of their money back with to questions or hesitations. However, no customer seems know about this and therefore is unable carry this out. Upon questioning the customer (a requirement of staff working at Holland and Barrett) about if they've tried certain products before, will they then respond with, for example, "yes I've tried that but it didn't do anything for me". I, then, respond with "you should have brought the empty bottle in and got your money back!". So CLAIM YOUR MONEY BACK IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS OF A PRODUCT.
    It is also a company which has risen it's prices ridiculously to keep up with maximising it's income. When first recruited, herbal and fruit teas were £1.19 for a box of 20. The average price is now £1.89 for the same product, with some prices being raised up to £2.19.

In summary, Holland and Barrett is a fraud-company which manipulates its staff members to lie in order to maximise it's profits. If a staff member is questioned by a customer for fabricating or misinforming, the company then punishes that staff member .

anexcustomer May 27, 2014

Recently I bought 9 packets of Barenaked Noodles on-line from Holland and Barrett. I have had many of the noodles before with no problem, as long as they are stored in a cool dry place they do not need refrigeration. This time however, within 3 weeks the noodles in 1 pack had completely disintegrated and changed into a 'beige soup'. The noodles all have the same sell by date of 13 June 2014 and most of the other packets also show signs of disintegrating, changing colour or bubbling. All this suggests some type of contamination and possibly bacterial activity in the packaging/production.

I contacted the Customer Services Dept (using their own on-line complaints form). I did not receive any reply to my complaints. I therefore also wrote a letter to their Head Office with details of my complaint, again my complaint was ignored. I have written a final letter to the company, and if they ignore that then I shall take my complaint to the local Environmental Health Dept, or Government Foods Safety Agency.

Where food preparation and packaging is concerned surely for the safety of the public a company should not ignore a complaint of this nature. Who knows, the noodles may contain a dangerous pathogen which could cause illness if the noodles are eaten.

Thank goodness I did not eat any of this batch of noodles. My advice is be very careful and check any foodstuffs bought from this company, as even if the food is within the sell by date, from my experience you could end up with a serious problem.

• Un
    unhappyH&Bworker Jun 24, 2014

I am also another disgruntled holland and barrett employee and the company really is a disgrace. I have never had such a terrible manager in my whole life. My manager has actually told me when the store was full with customers at a peak time to simply 'ignore' the customers and 'do not engage in conversation' with them because there are other jobs that need doing e.g. promotional changes.

Working at holland and barrett you are expected to not just be a 'customer assistant' but you have to be stockroom workers, cleaners and even security guards. The amount of times people steal from our store and then the manager blames us!
    The store becomes a health and safety hazard during delivery days as the company like to cut corners by using us to do deliveries rather than employing night staff as do most supermarkets and other retailers such as Boots and Superdrug.
    They do not employ cleaners so we must spend up to an hour after closing time cleaning and tidying up the store WITHOUT GETTING PAID!!!

We continuously have training updates which wouldn't be so bad if my manager actually bothered to print them and give them to us! The training 'encyclopadia' style workbooks mentioned by the other employee are also a problem. This was a problem for me because in order to complete these workbooks you need about FIVE different resource books!!! My store doesn't have half of them and my manager refuses to give them to us!!!

The staff at holland and barrett are generally under immense pressures and the managers are all fed up so it's no wonder that the customers are not getting the service they deserve. My advice to everyone is DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY and DONT BOTHER BUYING FROM THEM! They are ripping off customers with extortionate prices which even after a staff discount are still very expensive!

michel j foxy bingo Jan 18, 2015

I agree with the to other ex employees holland and barrett is a disgraceful company and no one should work for them. They don't care about there staff and they try to manipulate you in to doing things. There are no cameras for security they dont care if your I'll and there contract states you are not allowed to work anywhere else if your part time and you are to always drop everything for them. Also there is alot of statments the other ex employees have mentioned which are 100% true. Considering its 2015 now that companyis in the dark ages . DO NOT SHOP THERE. DO NOT WORK FOR THEM NEITHER.

Suethebrew Oct 19, 2015

The staff at Holland and Barrett, Coney Street, York, are excellent, as someone who likes to keep fit, they have an excellent person in that shop called Steve, who is a trainer, and will give you good advice.

Suethebrew Oct 19, 2015

If you have problems with the staff at Holland and Barrett, demand to see the Manager, and tell them you are reporting the store to the Trading Standards, they soon sort out your problem fast, or if that does not work right to the Head Office address the letter to the Chairman.

Suethebrew Oct 19, 2015

Steve, as left, Holland and Barrett in the Town centre, a great loss for the store.

Mickthedick Oct 20, 2015

The only good thing about Holland and Barrett is that they do not charge for bags, only shop there when there is a 1p sale on.

Mickthedick Oct 20, 2015

The Store in York is very bland, like the staff.

• Ka
    Katatlarge Oct 22, 2015

The staff at Bromley store are useless, not very helpful, someone please open an health shop.

Sadcase Nov 01, 2015

No one at Holland and Barrett, at both York stores was wearing a poppy,

Sadcase Nov 01, 2015

I have stopped shopping at the Holland and Barrett store in Bromley, the staff are unless.

• Ge
    Gerard Buerk Nov 17, 2015

It has become the poorest un-friendly store in recent 10 years after recession kicked in or their inflation went up prices rocketed as once were as low as online bid deals these days. holland & barrett once better had items less than half price now just put a penny sale on as well as hike up supplements prices in first place, store staff run down un-friendly at #magherafelt store stand bored at till any wonder never busy the shop in a centre when you see reduced stickers sell by short date pick out later date oh rude boss looks at date before scanning it through says that's not reduced very aggressive she was told her not matter just took protein bar reduced 45p break your teeth over chewy needs banned by holland & barrett don't need this after emerging to northern ireland by my demand 15 yrs back services shipping supplies and staff shares have got worse since recession at antrim, magherafelt, castlecourt belfast, other city centre ones in dublin too natures way former shops were better than # holland & barrett

• Li
    Lisa Randy Dec 20, 2015

The york store in coney street, have lost one of there truly great employees in steve the muscles, every time I went in the store I always asked for steve, as he is a first class fitness coach, so he knows what us sports ladies like.in fitness products.

Bring back steve.

• Li
    Lisa Randy Dec 20, 2015

I agree with Lisa, the Holland and Barrett, York store, should make every effort to get Steve back. When you go into a health store you need excellent staff who can give you excellent advice on fitness, Steve was a sportsman, and was in a different class. Great Bloke.

• At
    A.Tit. Jan 06, 2016

Stopped shopping at the Bromley, The staff are unless and the Manager is the Captain of a sinking ship.

• At
    A.Tit. Jan 06, 2016

The staff at the York store in Coney Street, are a really nice lot, very friendly, helpful.

• La
    Laird of Dunans. Jan 08, 2016

Everyone is having a go at Holland and Barrett, they should shop in the Coney Street, shop in York, all the staff are excellent and very friendly. They have just got a new Manager, who as lots of personality, and brings a lot of life to the store, Catherine is the is the engine house of the shop, never stops working, you can see her filling up shelves, giving advice to Customers, serving at the till, making everyone feel special. While Katie makes sure everything is in its place, to make sure Customers have the full choice of items. The shop as a vast knowledge to offer customers, as i think 3 of the employees were former Managers of the shop.
    The Chairman and the Directors of Holland and Barrett should get out of the boardroom and see how this shop is run, then they would not be lots of complaints on the internet . This shop should be a roll model to all the other branches how a shop should be run.

Lord Dunans.

Mary Shelley Jan 08, 2016

And i get my nuts from Holland and Barrett and i am not complaining,

Miss Scott Jan 09, 2016

I get my nuts from Holland and Barrett and i'm not complaining.

Miss D Foster Jan 09, 2016

Will not be shopping at the Bromley store again, the Manager needs to go on a training course how to talk to customers, he was very rude. Will not be shopping at this store again.

• Mr
    Mrs Frost Jan 11, 2016

Holland and Barrett have a Penny Sale on, but the sale is not on the items you want, its on stuff that the shop bring in and cannot sell.

• Fr
    Fred Mead Jan 19, 2016

I always find the staff at Holland and Barrett in York town centre, very helpful and friendly, The shelves are always full up and they always look after you.

• Go
    Gold Award Winner Feb 04, 2016

What a moaning lot of people you are on this site, always complaining about how crap things are at Holland and Barrett,
    You need to go to the Holland and Barrett shop in Coney Street York, this is a first class chop with excellent staff, very friendly, helpful, and they are a GOLD AWARD WINNER, in my view, At the moment a new Manager as taken over from Katie who was first rate, Katie took over from Catherine who was another excellent Manager, The new Boy is taking over a well run shop, and with Katie and Catherine two former Managers to help, the shop is in good hands. Its a same Steve the keep fit personal trainer as left, because he was good with fitness advice. However the shop as a few new faces and given they will take over Steve's mantal,
    From all the complaints about the Bromley store you need to put Katie or Cartherine in to sort out the problems, as they have done it and got the teeshirt.
    I hope HEAD OFFICE read this because it would be nice for this shop to be praised, Management always have ago when things are going wrong, and they should give the York staff a pay rise when they do a good job.

10 out of 10.

John Allistair Feb 06, 2016

I agree with Gold Award Winner, everyone is complaining about Holland and Barrett. I always shop in the Coney Street, shop in York, and all the staff are excellent, very helpful, the shop always looks smart and tidy, and the shelves are always full. I have known the ex-Manager Catherine for a long time, and the shop have had excellent Managers, the new boy as Gold Award Winner says as come in at a time when Katie another former Manager as left it in excellent shape. With regards to Steve, Mick is taking over from him, and he is very nice and helpful.
    Yes i agree the Directors need to see what a wonderful team this shop as, and look at the terrible comments some of the other branches are getting.
    and take advice from the team here to sort out the other shops that are getting negative comments, Bromley store seems to get a lot of poor remarks.

John Allistair Feb 06, 2016

Don't shop at Bromley store, the Manager would be better off in Paliament, that lot in there like to row.
    Its a shame the staff in York are not in charge of this store, they appear to get a good write up

Cheapaschips Feb 09, 2016

If you are a veggy person the prices that Holland and Barrett changed for these products are sky high, a Scottish egg £1.49, a Sauage roll £1.25. a Beef pie £1.55, its cheaper to go to a supermarket and buy them for 50p each.

• Re
    Reviewer56091 Feb 10, 2016

I didn't read the labels thinking if I bought from a health food shop, it should be healthy. I was so wrong. The vitamin C fizzles contain aspartame and the banana chips are full of oil and cane sugars. How awful! I will not be buying their products again. I googled for this reason, and am not surprised to find so many complaints, calling this a fraud company, just out to make a profit.

• Sh
    Shopripoff Feb 10, 2016

I did not know Holland and Barrett charge so much for veg food, the prices quoted by Cheapaschips, it seems they are ripping off Customers, they need a 1p sale every day to compete in the real world. You can get a packet of scotch eggs for what they charge.

• Mo
    Mother. Feb 12, 2016

Every one appears to be having ago at the Bromley store, I have found no problems shopping their. The Manager is excellent.

• Ra
    Randy Orton Feb 13, 2016

All the veg food in the fridges are very expensive, and are about 100% more than supermarkets charge, it appears you are paying for all the staff they have in the shops.

• Ra
    Randy Orton Feb 13, 2016

The Holland and Barrett, Vegetarian food is very expensive, i would advise you to go to Farm Foods, or Iceland they have a good range of this type of food a lot cheaper. Who in the right mind would pay £1.69 for a Scottish egg. Morrison and Tesco have a good range of Vegetarian 4 pies for £3.
    Holland and Barrett sell their hot dog packets for £3.55, Tesco do the same at £1.50.
    And if you want cheap herbs the £ shops have a good range.

• Vo
    Vote Catherine and Katie. Feb 22, 2016

As catherine and katie, from the york city centre shop are receiving excellent write ups, lets nominate both of them for the york paper press awards, each year the local paper, runs shop of the year, customer service awards. I think catherine and katie should be nominated.

Vote catherine and katie, holland and barrett, york city centre shop.

• La
    Laird of Dunans CT Feb 22, 2016

I always shop in the Coney Street, York shop, and i can confirm with the recent comments, Catherine and Katie, are excellent in Customer service, very helpful, will go that extra mile for Customers, nothing is too much trouble for them.

Holland and Barrett always seem to get a lot of bad publicity, and i agree the Directors of the Company need to go and see how two people in this shop perform to a very high standard all the time.

Yes they have got my vote, i will be voting for Catherine and Katie.

Laird of Dunans.

• It
    Its me again33333333 Mar 03, 2016

Just been into the new Holland and Barrett store in central York, very smart, clean, ample room to move round, more staff than customers, all dressed in black, one of them at the door to greet people, it was more like the old days with a floor walker, directing you to the right dept. 'ARE YOU BEING SERVED.' came to mind. The shop staff dressed in black made the shop look like a cost between, Barbers, Cafe, Undertakers. I did not know if to shop, book a haircut, funeral, or order a meal.

• Bl
    Blackdress Mar 03, 2016

Just been into the new Holland and Barrett store in York, it looks like the Company have pushed the boat out, the store looks very impressive,
    I thought it looks more like a high price cafe, lots of staff dressed in waiter's outfit's, i was approached as soon as i got through the door, by a couple of Penguins, i thought they were going to take my order for food. The prices of the things in the shop are very expensive, the Pound shop will do for me.

• Bl
    Blackdress Mar 03, 2016

Eye you are right, the new York store is very large and full of high priced herbs and food, maybe they are trying to claw some money back for the new shop. The staff look very smart in their Penguin outfits. When i went in today there was more staff than customers.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices