Greendot.comterrible experience!

Bought a greendot reload card haven't been able to get money phonecard and three different sayings across the register declined, wrong card type, message edit error. Beware all!

Jones2025 Aug 11, 2017

Greendot and money pak cards all SUCK. Do yourself a favor and never use them. They seriously deserve to fail. A very disgusting company.

• Be
    Beeber Jun 08, 2014

Watch out, their customer (no) service reps lie to you on the phone, which could leave you in dire circumstances, like me. They will illegally block access to your money based on the CS robot's lie. Their 'Stepford' customer service is appalling. The reps have no idea what you are saying...they can only read words from a prepared form. That pause after you ask them a question...is them looking for the answer on the form that may or may not have anything to do with your question.

The CS rep named 'James' ( they all have these American names ) lied to me so I would stay with greendot.com . I now have no access to my money. They put an illegal block on my funds. I can only speak to or email CS in the Phillipines. I have tried to contact Corporate in Pasadena at [protected], but you cannot talk to anyone there. The 'masses' are redirected to CS, in the Phillipines, where the nightmare began.

The money that green dot illegally blocked access to was for necessities, like food. If I have to, I will drive down to Pasadena (after borrowing some money for gas and a sandwich), alert the press, then go to Corporate to get my money...or to, at least, borrow a few bucks from the very-well-paid leader of this cult, Steven W. Streit.

If you can't drive to Pasadena, then contact your State Attorney General ( Kamala Harris in CA ) and file a complaint. File a complaint with the BBB if you want, though they appear to be biased. I won't bother doing that. Wasted enough time on this nonsense already.
    Also, if you live any where in the Bay Area, contact Michael Finney, consumer advocate pitbull, at KGO TV in San Francisco. He WILL get you your money back.

• Te
    tenngurl55 Nov 12, 2011

i got a greendot visa card and i can't get into my account and to even try to speak with an agent is almost impossible. i have called a couple of times and made my complaint to them about this but apparently they don't know what they are doing. i've got money that i need that i cant get to and it's B.S. i am highly upset with this company and i let it be known to them that they suck.
    please help me with this matter.
    TY very much,
    Dorothy

Sam96 Sep 01, 2011

I got this card for online purchases, I bought the card at CVS and at the time of the purchase I placed $300 on it, now they have no record of me placing money on this card. So after calling customer service they said they will investigate by calling cvs, to make sure I actually put $300 on this card. It takes a day to find out anything from there. I have the receipt This company is a fraud and I will be reporting them! I should have just bought a American Express Gift card! Who needs the headaches!

• Xr
    xraychik77 Jul 19, 2011

totally disagree i have had my greendot card for about 2 years with direct deposit and have had no issues. the only time i've had a problem is at the gas pump and that's because most all prepaid cards do not work there. i pay my bills online with the online bill pay and everything absolutely a great card

carmen cotto ortiz Jul 14, 2011

tengo una tarjeta que no puedo registrar, por que cada ves que doy mi fecha de naciniento no acepta mi fecha entra otra y ago el intengo ya mas de 6 veces y aun no puedo usar el dinero depositado a la tarjeta. y menos en las llamadas es lo mismo . es algo que no usaria mas. y quiero la devolucion de mi dinero

• Gruffteddybear Jul 04, 2011

Green Dot is fine until you have a problem. I loaded money onto card and paid bills. 3 of my payments were double charged I guess due to glitch and as a result one of my credit card payments was declined and that credit card closed my account and I lost an $800.00 credit line. The credit card company told me that if I could get a letter from Green Dot explaining it was their fault and not mine, they would consider re-opening my account. Green Dot said they wouldn't do that. It was their error and they refuse to help. Run far away from this company. As fast as you can.

• Ur
    urimidden Jul 02, 2011

Greendot is a scam...PERIOD! This company is backed by its own private financial institution and is exploiting the system by charging people a fee simply to make a deposit to their bank. Then they get a small fee from merchants every time the cards are used. Of course, these fees are then passed on to every consumer because they are included in the price of the products we all buy (just another way bankers are destroying the economy). Greendot also uses the daily balance that accrues as an asset instrument that can be leveraged against, and thus they can lend out 90% of whatever people deposit into their bank. This is why they will never refund the money in a timely fashion. You put cash on the card instantly, but it takes two weeks to get the money returned, even if you realize that you have purchased the wrong card and immediately return to the store and attempt to exchange it. You also cannot use a Greendot card to purchase a Greendot card (total scam!!!). The reason Greendot has such despicable customer service is because they are not actually offering anyone a product or service, they are only offering ACCESS TO A PRODUCT OR SERVICE. If they were truly intent on offering a service then there would be Greendot stores all over the United States. Now, since they are only offering access, this enables them to wreak havoc in the market by assuming a great deal of risk, but not actually taking responsibility for that risk. This means that they specifically target those people who are generally needy, such as young people in college who need help from parents, or low income people on welfare or social security who may not be able to get a regular bank account. Or people who are criminals or fleeing from the law. Or simply somebody who just needs a way to purchase something online but doesn't have a credit card, or can't qualify for one. Any company that is designed specifically to take advantage of the devaluation and degradation of any system will naturally be run by criminally minded ###. Just as unfortunate is the fact that the majority of vendors are all too happy to oblige these companies because it guarantees them a piece of the action. This then ties up consumer cash to the extent that the Federal Government is willing to subsidize the operation because this allows them to keep tabs on everything, and can stick it to the people by dangling a carrot in front of the retailers and banks. The quid pro quo is alarming, and other more reputable companies such as Paypal are jumping into bed with Greendot but refusing to honor their pledge to clients when something goes wrong, as it so often does. GREENDOT BELIEVES THAT THEIR TERMS AND CONDITIONS PRECLUDE THEM FROM LITIGATION, BUT THEY ARE SORELY MISTAKEN. I WILL BE FILING A SUIT AGAINST GREENDOT IN THE NEXT FEW MONTHS, SO ANYONE WHO HAS ANY INFORMATION THAT THEY BELIEVE WOULD BE HELPFUL YOU CAN WRITE TO ([email protected]), SINCE, WHEN I AM FINISHED TAKING THEM TO TASK AND SETTING PRECIDENT IN THE COURTROOM, THERE WILL BE THE INEVITABLE CLASS ACTION SUIT PENDING. TIME TO SEND THESE PEOPLE TO THE CLEANERS. I DO NOT INTEND TO SHUT THEM DOWN, JUST FORCE THEM TO COMPLY WITH PROPER BUSINESS ETHICS AS OUTLINED IN THE UNITED STATES CONSITUTION. GOOD LUCK, ONE AND ALL.

catmendo Jun 30, 2011

received a greendot card as a gift. when the automated phone system asked for my social security number, that was it. i hung up. it's not worth the $100 gift to have my identity stolen (presuming i could access the 100 bucks!). now i wonder whether i should tell the person who was nice enough to give it to me. i suspect it was something he didn't want either.

• X2
    x2rocket Jun 21, 2011

I put $110.00 on my card to make 2 purchases of approx $52 each from different sites, after trying to place the 1st order and getting declined due to bad zip I corrected it and it declined again. When i checked my dot acct it shows 2 trans and no money left. WTF!!! then the CS rep said 2 weeks to clear after i screamed at the Indian she said 2 days, still WTF!!! If it is declined due to bad zip or other info then it should not hold up funds... Getting rid of the thing after i get me cash back.

• ITS REALLY IMBARRISING WHEN YOU GO TO THE COUNTER TO PAY AN YOUR CARD DONT WORK SO YOU GET THEM TO SEND YOU ANOTHER CARD AND GUESS WHAT IT DONT WORK EITHERSO SOME PEOPLE LIKE IT AND SAY THEY DO BUT I HATE GREEN DOT I GOT CHESTED OUT OF 100.00 THANK GOD I DID NOT PUT MORE THEN THEY SAID THEY TOOK THERE FEES!!! 100.00 IN FEES YEAH RIGHT...

Jeffrey Dean Jun 15, 2011

This response is to Ruth Lantz. You do NOT need all those "proofs" you describe to call for a BOYCOTT of a company. You can call for a boycott simply because you don't LIKE that company's product or you think the company is bad for the environment, or you simply think the company is unfair competition. You cannot be sued as a consumer for recommneding to OTHER consumers that they not purchase something. This IS America and the Corporations simply DO NOT have that kind of power. LOL

Jeffrey Dean Jun 15, 2011

I filed a complaint against CVS pharmacy through the BBB because I could not get the address of Greendot. CVS called me right away. I asked that greendot be discontinued as a product at CVS because of their poor customer service. My advice to anyone is to do the same. File a BBB complaint against the company that SOLD you the card and ask as a remedy that the company stop carrying and selling the card.

Jeffrey Dean Jun 10, 2011

Just got took for 200.00. Cannnot activate the greendot card purchased at CVS pharmacy. When I attempt to register it puts me on hold for 30minutes. Then when I get a representative they transfer me back to the card registration system which then transfers me back to customer service and another 30 mins hold time. Once I got transferred to the Walmart Card service who told me i called the wrong number when I input my card number. Apparently. I'm not going to be able to activate this card and I'm out 200.00. Since I cannot loicate an address on this company anywhere I will file my BBB complaint against CVS where I purchased the card. Enough complaints like this and perhaps CVS will stop carrying the card. One can only hope. Meanwhile. I'm out 200 bucks over the weekend. Promised my son Seaworld. I guess I better get ready for the melt down when he finds out I don't have the money now.

• Ru
    Ruth Lantz Feb 11, 2011

I have tryed to use mine and I guess I don't know if the pin number is right is it the one under the first four digits of your card

• h elp st4 Sep 14, 2010

OK you're resigned to take 'em down anyway. I respect your decision. I admire your ability to stand for other victims of inevitable misfortune.

By your choice of words, I can see you have NO DOUBT that you used a legit website to apply your funds to your GreenDot account. OK, nothing I will say further on that.

To take them down with a boycott, however, you will need support from ALL of those customers who have been screwed by the company, FACTUAL people with undeniable PROOF (receipts, phone records, Police reports, etc).

For this 'boycott' to WORK?
    You will need a larger, very public venue or venues like YOUTUBE; MetaCafe; Twitter, etc. You will need to present hard facts and proof that you have been wronged, (apart from those NASTY "terms and conditions" we are all familiar with...), and you need to have presented same to GreenDot, so that you do not end up in a slander and/or libel suit. Both FACTS and PROOF will save your hide. And it will save the hides of those who support your boycott.

For the PROOF in your case:

Depending on how you added funds, follow this. Search for the receipt you got at the Walgreen's (or point of sale storefront).When
    you have located this, make copies, and store the original in a safe place. Only work with the copies from then on. No receipt? Please
    keep looking for it, you need it. It is PROOF that you are a victim.

If the funds were transferred to your card from the store, this same receipt will be your only proof. Barring any mistake made by the
    person handling the transaction/transfer of funds, or any theft attempt made by same, ... this is where your investigation comes to an end.
    The physical nature of this particular scenario (because of the accusations you might fling about) should be left to the authorities, and YOU will have to initiate their investigation by submitting a report to both Police and GreenDot. If nothing is done NOW, expect more obstacles.

Still talking about PROOF here, read on:

If you handled the transfer yourself by telephone call (landline), again, check number for legitimacy, (Ensure you dialed correctly, ensure you read your activation or reference numbers correctly) If you conducted business from a portable handset or cell phone, it might have been possible for others with insidious devices to listen in on your conversation and even record same for their own purposes. Besides the receipt you obtained at the store, your only recourse is in the phone records. Trouble with this one? You might still need to contact the Police or FBI.

If you made the transaction yourself on the internet, via computer or cell, there is GOOD NEWS: Go back to your browser, and search your 'history 'tab. A window will open, showing you where you have "been"(navigating/ surfing the web) in the last few days. You may be able to obtain proof of your transaction by being able to access the same 'html' page that concluded with your adding of funds, READ ON.

(Usually, right after you add funds to your account, you'll be redirected to a page with an "on-screen receipt", which you should regularly
    SAVE as a text or html file on your computer. You can then print this proof anytime you wish to confer or debate about ANY issue. You might still be able to access this page right from your browser history, as long as the history settings are set to keep them for X amount of days.)

No matter what you are buying or funding nowadays, you should always be able to save a copy for yourself as proof. You can then use this proof to make your case stick when debating with the people at GreenDot. ( I suggest you also write to them at the address shown on the website, or with material(s) received with your card. I have had to do the very same in past years to retrieve my funds sometimes. (It may be months before you see a ever see a check, or funds added to your account. There will ALWAYS be correspondence, though. This IS PROOF also.

(Remember, I am trying to keep you from getting sued here...) NOW:

Once you HAVE this PROOF, retain copies of the FACTS pertaining to this case, and be able to SHOW in court that you did everything possible to give GreenDot a chance to review your case PROMPTLY. IF they do NOT, (after all that!!)...then, and only THEN can you start your National all-out BOYCOTT campaign without fear of being sued. Do you want better advice? Get a real lawyer.

In the meantime: Record or film yourself throughout this process and post your audio and or video clips, (posting them regularly to these larger venues I brought out earlier), and you're almost assured of thousands of interested, supportive folks. Most should write back to you with both negative and positive comments, depending on how you take these. Without PROOF and/or FACTUAL content, though, you might be looking at trouble. (No one wants a 'cease and desist' writ served to their person.)

As before, my best regards to all of you. Write when you are able. (I sympathize with you if you are NOT able to come up with better advice on this subject, or anything better than this "consistent rhetoric' of mine.)

Harrisonwill Sep 13, 2010

THANKS FOR THE CONCERNS ABOUT MY MONEY NOT BEING POSTED... FIRST, LET ME STATE THAT I NEVER USE MY CARD FOR SITES THAT I DONT KNOW. IT WAS THE TRANSFER FROM A WALGREEN PURCHASE TO ME CALLING IN MY NUMBERS TO RELOAD. SOMETHING WENT WRONG. SO NOW THAT MY MONEY IS BEING HELD HOSTAGE; I'VE NOW MOVED ON TO ACCEPTING THAT I MAY NEVER RECEIVE ANYTHING. THATS MY LESSON IN LIFE... HOWEVER; I'VE NOW MOVED ON TO A DIFFERENT LEVEL BECAUSE OF SEVERAL REASONS...THESE LARGE CORPORATIONS IN AMERICA NEED TO BE TAUGHT SOMETHING.. FIRST; IT IS WE THE PEOPLE(THE AMERICAN CONSUMER) WHO IS TRULY THE REAL ENGINE FOR THEIR SUCCESS; IF THEY BECOME SO HEARTLESS AND ONLY CARE ABOUT THEIR OWN POCKETS BEING FILLED WITH RICHES, REGARDLESS WHO GETS HURT ;, TO PURPOSELY TRICK HARD WORKING PEOPLE INTO CONTRACTS THAT STRIPS AWAY THEIR LEGAL RIGHTS IN THE COURT SYSTEM, TO GO ABROAD AND PAY OTHERS PENNYS TO STAND ON THE FRONT LINES AND TAKE THE HITS, ONLY FOR THEM (THE PHILIPINES) TO INSULT US BECAUSE THEY KNOW NOTHING WILL HAPPEN TO THEM; THEN WE MUST SHOW WHO IS REALLY IN CHARGE OF THEIR WAY OF MAKING A BETTER LIFE IN THEIR THIRD WORLD COUNTRY. WITH BOTH BEING TAUGHT A LESSON, I PERSONSONALY WONT CARE WHAT HAPPENS TO ME ; ITS ONLY THOSE (WHO ARE NOW)AND THE NEW VICTIMS, WHO'S BEING TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF THAT MUST BE SAVED... I'M TALKING ABOUT A LANDMARK NATIONAL AMERICAN BOYCOT AGAINST GREENDOT; NOT THE RETAILERS(WHO ARE PROBABLY BEEN TRICK INTO A BINDING CONTRACT THAT'LL PREVENT THEM FROM PULLING THAT CARD FROM THEIR SHELVES EVEN THOUGH SOME VICTIMS WOULD CHOSE NOT TO SHOP IN THERE STORES BECAUSE OF PROBLEMS WITH THAT DAMN CARD. LIKE I STATED BEFORE ; I HAVE A PLAN BUT I CANT DO IT BY MY SELF. EVEN IF I GET MY MONEY; AM STILL WILLING TO GO THROUGH WITH THIS. IT WONT BE EASY; HARD TIMES AHEAD; BUT IF THIS GETS ACOMPLISHED; THEN THE OTHER COMPANYS WILL START TO THINK TWICE.
    FOR AS THOSE WHO HAVENT HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH GREENDOT AND STILL CHOOSES TO LOAD LARGE AMOUNT OF MONEY ON A CARD THATS NOT PROTECTED BY THE FDIC; YOUR TAKEN A BIG RISK.. BEWARE AND TAKE THE TIME TO READ WHAT YOU ARE INTO...BOYCOT!!! BOYCOT!!! BOYCOT GREENDOT!!! CHOOSE ANOTHER CARD...

• h elp st4 Sep 13, 2010

First, let me make it clear I agree with your point on the TERMS and CONDITIONS. What concerns me most is your "money not available" problem, though.

I've read their terms every time they send me my replacement card (going on six years now) And YES, they are admittedely harsh on us little people, and our hard-earned money.

Besides these terms, though, BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING: All I ask, if you are attempting to take them down, to consider this first. YOU MAY HAVE BEEN TAKEN BY A THIRD PARTY CRIMINAL. Think about getting your money back first. (WE ALL KNOW THE TERMS STINK TO HIGH HEAVEN)

Pretty simple: Legitimate customer (YOU) purchases legitimate GreenDot MoneyPak (any store). This is then entered in what legitimate customer believes is a legit GreenDot website
    (BUT IT IS NOT, read on...)

(NOT a legit website, but a fake webpage, a forgery perpetrated by cyber criminals, the mob, or other [censor]) WHY DO I MENTION THIS?

You then unwittingly enter your account number, your password, then you are directed to type in your money pak number (just like you always have). NOW they have your account number (probably use it later against you), then promptly apply YOUR MONEYPAK funds to one of their own underground or criminal accounts.

This has happened to some of us!! So, for now: Try to track down the website where your moneypak was loaded. Check your browser, or the browser that was used for same. CALL THE POLICE NOW, if the URL
    does not begin with something in the nature of "http:||www.greendot.com|greendot..." or similar. DO THE RIGHT THING. If you still believe that GreenDot is responsible, I don't blame you. But still, call the PolIce or FBI and report it. It's YOUR money, and it was stolen from you.

I know you're pissed. Hell, I was super furious when this happened to me. Do the right thing for now.

Forget about the 'terms and conditions' for right now, and wanting to kick the living crap out of Greendot. FOR NOW.

As a friend, I hope you concentrate on recovering your money NOW, by looking at all of our posts on this subject, I am trying to help you understand that these problems are NOT unique to any one banking corporation. I am sure that at least some of us have screwed by devices planted on ATMs and fake online banking sites that will dispense with our money.

Afterwards, if you still want to take them down, I'll try to be helpful. YOU SAID SO YOURSELF ON YOUR FIRST POST: that you had NO problems until 10 Sept 2010. I believe you (look for my first post, and you will see similar, along with what I believe to be good advice from other users.) And NO, I do not work in any financial institution.

Just trying to help, that's all. Write to me anytime you feel like it.

Harrisonwill Sep 13, 2010

PLEASE...PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ GREENDOT'S TERMS AND CONDITIONS. YOU WILL THEN SEE WHERE I'M COMING FROM...

• h elp st4 Sep 12, 2010

Harrisonwill:

A good amount of people have wrote to me in the past few weeks about same. You might not like this at all, but...

First, some of us have come to the conclusion, that since we have had relatively few problems, the real culprit might be "fake" or "phishing" sites. Let me explain, since this has obviously happened to me and others: You purchase a MoneyPak like always, does not matter where. You open up what appears to be a legit GreenDot site, enter your account info, password and moneypak info, then BAM, they've got you! I don't mean GreenDot, but scam artists, criminals with a fake website.

You might still have a chance, though, go to your HISTORY tab on your browser and look up Sept 10, checking the address of the site you entered your moneypak (or if someone else entered this info, ask they check the address or URL) A legit GreenDot site can be verified right from your browser, with the address being something like "http:||www.greendot|greendot..." or similar. If not, then you report that address to the FBI and GreenDot. If more of us catch these [censor] now and report them, something will be done to prevent more of us from having our hard earned money stolen.

The same goes for any other secured site, always check the address. Remember, you're not alone. We have all been taken at some point, just did not realize it, then blamed it on some faceless corporation...

We have to be careful about giving our info away to a fake site run by criminals, then be surprised that we did not realize THAT site has nothing to do with the legit one. No wonder when I called, there was 'no record' of my money. Hope this additional info helps.

Harrisonwill Sep 11, 2010

FOLKS, PLEASE LISTEN TO ME ABOUT GREEN DOT. THEN, PLEASE EMAIL ME IF YOU ARE READY TO TAKE DOWN THIS GIANT...
    MY EMAIL [email protected] I MAY HAVE A PLAN THAT WILL HURT THEM... FIRST OFF, I AM A VICTIM OF LOST FUNDS FROM GREENDOT, LOST FUNDS, RUDE CUSTOMER SERVICE, HANG UPS, FINANACIAL HARDSHIP ECT. ECT. ECT.
    FOR THREE YEARS I'VE USE GREENDOT WITH NO PROBLEMS UNTIL SETP. 10TH 2010. MONEY SENT TO ME...NO MONEY AVAIABLE... AFTER I SPENT ALL NIGHT ON THE INTERNET READING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLES PROBLEMS WITH THIS FRAUD COMPANY I STUMBLED ON TO A THRED THAT STATED WE CANT SUE THIS COMPANY IN COURT BECAUSE OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS. SO, I DECIDED TO TAKE THE TIME TO TRY AND READ AND UNDERSTAND. PEOPLE, I WAS NOT ONLY SHOCKED, BUT ALSO DEPRESS THE ENTIRE DAY BECAUSE GREENDOT HAS COVERED THEIR [censor] FROM LEFT TO RIGHT BY THESE TERMS WHICH ACTUALLY PROTECTS THEM FROM COURT SUIT... DO THIS PLEASE... FIRST, DONT JUDGE ME FOR MY TYPING MISTAKES... SECOND, TAKE THE TIME AND READ THEIR TERMS AN CONDITIONS... PAY ATTENTION TO AAA(ARBRITARARY CONDITION... IT PREVENTS YOU FROM SUING THEM IN A COURT OF LAW...THEY WILL STATE IF YOU DONT AGREE TO THE TERMS, THEN YOU SHOULD REQUEST REFUND WHICH TAKES 7 TO 10 DAYS.. HA! HA! THERE IS SO MUCH PROTECTION FOR GREENDOT THAT THEY NOW THINK THEIR UNTOUCHABLE. BUT EVEN THE LARGEST GIANT CAN BE DESTROYED BY THE SMALLEST MICRO ORGANISM AND WE WILL BE THAT. I'LL NEED HELP FROM YOU; TYPIST, SMART PEOPLE; HONEST PEOPLE AND MORE... I'M SERIOUS FOLKS, IVE GOT A PLAN...CONTACT ME IF YOU ARE SERIOUS TOO... THIS WILL NOT REQUIRE NO MONEY ON YOUR BEHALF; JUST YOUR INTELLECT; TYPING SKILLS AND A DESIRE TO DO JUSTICE IN LIFE... I'LL LOOK FOR SOMEONE [email protected] ...REGARDS...

• h elp st4 Aug 18, 2010

First, let me say that GreenDot has its share of problems. But, I have had only a few unfortunate incidents in the five (5) years that I have been using my account for online and other purchases. For the record, I have read each one of the complaints above, and sympathize, since some have happened to me exactly as described. I too, have also been stranded in a strange town with no real way to bounce back financially. (Since I always load the card with what I feel I will use in the activity week. GreenDot is not a scam, though. No one is going to start and fund a service company that is going to be 100%, so read on .

Helpful hints for you (that have proved useful to us) if you are going to purchase Greendot. First, BEFORE YOU BUY, access the REAL website, as there are scam artists out there with fake sites. Check the certificates or validity of the site with your browser, (each browser is different, but on most you can simply scroll over the page or address and right/ or left click in which a menu should pop up. You should be able to see something in the nature of 'check for phishing', or "check certificate", etc) If you have doubts of any kind, avoid it. Do this BEFORE you buy or add funds, and save the correct website for your region in your 'favorites' folder or bookmark, or better, save the address to notepad or your email folders.

Do NOT save pertinent info on any computer that is not yours, say a t work or a library, workforce center, etc. Always erase this info, log off properly, and take careful measures to safeguard your passwords, etc.
    Do NOT share your info or save passwords on your computer if you feel that these could be compromised by someone at home. Hint: it is well-documented that victims of these types of identity theft arise from friends and family that might have "accidentally" compromised this info to the willing thief by some means. This happened to me...

Remember, that in some locales, your Greendot Card is NOT seen as a credit card, but as a DEBIT card. Try to establish a PIN number early on, in case this happens to you. At a restaurant, three years ago, I had a large tab declined several times before it was suggested it be run as 'debit'. It worked! I went over to the register and typed my PIN, and was relieved, because I was already highly embarrassed, and I knew I had more than enough to cover the meals. (If no one had suggested "debit", I would have left that night highly irritated, apart from the sweating-like-a-pig episode)

Second, remember that there are several reasons that you might not be able to reconcile your amounts online. Before I was able to make the switch from dial-up modem to DSL, I had nothing but problems with this, and yes I spoke to someone from Malaysia (?) who was unable to help much. I knew my account was accessible at work, though, and figured out it was weather-related with my slower speed dial-up.

Worst was when the site was down, and inaccessible, I thought something was wrong and might even had accessed the wrong site. (right away, I got the message that this might be a fake or phishing site, but not everyone notices the misspelled words and older logos, or I might have been taken that evening) That said, be careful how you log on, and pass this on for ANY website. Save that correct site address somewhere, and only access that site FROM THEN ON.

That said, I have had my account compromised several times in the last few years. I noticed these compromises within reasonable time only because of the good advise I have been given on sites like this one. So I pass this on to you...Always check your balance online REGULARLY. If the purchases or attempts to purchase don't look right, they probably merit a closer look. Always jot down your purchases and problems down on a separate sheet of paper( or your other means ) when something does not look right, don't wait, ACT NOW. If you feel your account has been compromised, act immediately.

The above compromises could have been anything: an unsecure website that I purchased from; Maybe someone got access from my computer at work, maybe this info was sold to someone? Whatever the reason, It caused me a minor inconvenience. ( If this has happened to you, you know you are in for months before you can get your refund. You have to call in, then write a letter for the new account; Then write again for your money that is being held.)

This said, though, and even through all of this...the experience has made me more aware of what to do and what not to do. Please take the good advise that has been given to all of us, and reread or save what I just blurted out above...I admit that GreenDot is NOT for everyone. Some will hate it, some will love it. I swear by it, only because: coupled with PayPal, though I have only had the few incidents, all have been successfully taken care of because of this last bit of advice: Always HOLD ON TO RECEIPTS no matter what, and always make a backup of your email receipts, no matter what. You never know when they'll save you hide. Hope this helped a little. Questions, Suggestions? Write to me, [email protected]

• Rp
    rpearson33704 Jul 29, 2010

You know some of these complaints could have been avoided if you read the fees information on the website or with the information that they send to you with the new card after you have activated the account. When I had my Green dot card in Michigan I had a few problems in the beginning and thought it was a scam too until I read the information about the fees and other information. I would gladly use Green Dot again and am actually contemplating doing just that.

• Da
    David M.P. Jun 22, 2010

Prepaid cards like the MiCash MasterCard can be used like any debit card, wherever debit cards are accepted (usually wherever a merchant displays the MasterCard logo). Bear in mind that they all charge fees in one form or another, because if they didn't the card companies wouldn't have a business. Compare these fees to annual credit card interest, or to the check cashing fees you would otherwise pay if you didn't have a "plastic" option in your pocket. They do have some limitations, which vary from card to card, about how much you can withdraw every day. Also, fees vary so it pays to compare card offers. To the person that said he thought he had $1.50 in his account and discovered he had a negative balance of $3, what probably happened is that a monthly $4.50 maintenance fee was applied to the card. When prepaid cards go into negative balance, you actually can just ignore it if you never use the card again. About renting cars, whether you have a credit card or a prepaid card, the rental car companies place a "hold" of several hundred dollars on the card until you return the rental car. With credit cards you seldom notice this hold until you reach your credit limit. With prepaid cards, however, you need to have a sufficient balance on the card to cover the hold. Check with the rental car company ahead of time to find out their policies towards prepaid cards. Finally, customer service as you can see from the comments here is important. MiCash keeps a 24/7 customer service hotline, and we have real people in our home office who are happy to troubleshoot any special problems that might crop up.

• Co
    Count of Monte Cristo Apr 26, 2010

GreenDot is a royal mess. Nothing but canned telephone maze, so they do not care about complaints. Retail store wanted to charge me on initial "free" set up: $50.00 MoneyPak purchase, $4.95 fee to load onto card.., they said GreenDot returns initial $4.95 in about 90 days to your account, and...8.5% sales tax on entire transaction of $54.95. I haven't even spent a penny yet, and sales tax for what? GrennDot is a SCAM!

nowayordinary Nov 09, 2009

I was so fired up that I actually meant to say that for those people commenting that "WE MUST BE DOING SOMETHING WRONG" and that Green Dot is so great b/c they've never had issues with them...those commenters need to take their holier than thou ### and ship themselves off to India or the Phillipines or wherever and slap on an employee badge.

nowayordinary Nov 09, 2009

For all of you who say that Green Dot does no wrong, the ones who put them up on a pedestal and have the nerve to comment to those of us who have had REAL and VERY SERIOUS (f'ing with my money is ALWAYS serious) problems with Green Dot, allow me to put your ### in check real quick-- Because YOU personally have not been screwed over by Green Dot does not make you better than everyone else, it only makes you LUCKY they didn't ### you over too. :) Now go to greendot.com and comment to them about what a great job they're doing...OH WAIT...you can't, they don't allow customer input.

• Ku
    Kury Oct 06, 2009

I bought a money pak card for green dot. Which now has a scratch off over the reload number when I got it home the number was there except for the last number ! the store would not give me a refund for the bad card and green dot keeps putting me off about fixing the problem. That was Sunday they say wait until wendsday for the money to go on my card. I feel like I was taken by a scam artist for a $100 .! watch out for the money pak with a scratch over the number if it turns out to be a card with the numbers smudged you are out what ever you tried to put on the card !!!

makgiva70 Sep 20, 2009

samjohnson22. I have had the card for several years. I have read teh complaints from everyone and the experiences are completely contradictory to mine. Try this, most regular bank cards with the debit option willonly allow you to withdraw "x" amount of funds. Teh greendot max is $400/day. jsut to compare Bank of America has a limit on my regular bank card of $350/day. try withdrawing $400 fromthe ATM and if you have the proper PIN it should work. Make sure you tell the machine you are drawing the funds fromthe checking account.

samjohnson22 Sep 17, 2009

green dot is the most worthless scamming gutter slut ### suckers alive. I am stranded without money 2000 miles from home. I would kill the ###ing employees if i could get my hands on them right now i would put a 9mm in their spic heads. I HOPE ALL GREENDOT EMPLOYEES DIE OF AIDS GO SUCK INFECTYED MONKEY ### YOU ###ING SCAMMING ### ### YOU. I WILL GET YOU MOTHER###ERS

samjohnson22 Sep 17, 2009

green dot sucks ###. I had 3 deposits via moneypack I got the card so mom could send me money. I am on vacation in florida and greendot will not let me withdrawl the 500 positive balance says contact customer care mon-friday. well im ###ed and broke
    I hope green dot sucks ### in hell. I am stranded ### you greendot i swear I would cut your scamming throats with a machette...rotten scamming raty ###

• Pi
    PISTOFFBITCH Aug 25, 2009

THIS COMPANY IS FULL OF ###! I THINK THEY ARE FAKE AND ARE GETTING RICH OFF ALL OF US. I HAVE RECEIVED MANY GIFT CARDS IN THE PAST AND NEVER HAS MY MONEY BEEN TAKEN NOR HAVE I BEEN CHARGED RIDICULOUS FEES! COME ON MAINTENANCE FEES, WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT MAINTENANCE! I THINK FOR SURE THEY ARE MAINTAINING THEMSELVES THESE AS HOLES!! I THINK WE SHOULD ALL FILE A LAW SUIT AND MAYBE THEY CAN CLOSE THESE PEOPLE DOWN. DON'T EVEN THINK THEY ARE WORKING OUT OF A BUILDING I THINK THEY ARE WORKING OUT OF THEIR MANSION!!!

• Lu
    LUELLA CROSBY Aug 06, 2009

I HAVE HAD GREENDOT FOR OVER A YEAR, IT HAS BEEN VERY RELIABLE .BUT RECENTLY, THERE CUSTOMER SERVICE REPS ARE VERY RUDE . I HAVENT RECIEVED MY CARD WITH 500.00 I HAVE BEEN CALLING AND CALLING .NOW I AM MAD...AS HELL THIS HAS BEEN SINCE JULY15 2009 HOW MANY TIMES I GOT TO VERIFY MY ADDRESS.I SAY I WANT MY D...M MONEY. PLUS I BOUGHT THE CARD IN THE USA WHY CANT I TALK TO SOMEONE IN THE USA.

• Bo
    boycotting blue dot Jul 30, 2009

Green dot..what a con. I put 700.00 on a card for the sole purpose of renting a car. I flew to N.C. from Atlanta to attend my uncle funeral. When i arrived at the airport i went to the car rental that i reserved. I gave them my card only to find out it was declined. I knew i had just put 700.00 on it so i immediately called customer service. The agent informed me that there was a hold on my money and that they wanted me to fax a copy of my drivers license and social security card to them. Who walks around with their social security card..I Don't..If i did I wouldn"t be faxing it to green dot. After two hours messing with them, never resolving the issue, stuck at the airport, missing the funeral, taking a cab costing additional 40.00. I was pissed. They just f u all around. In a rage I told them to cancel my card give me my money back. The agents are in the Phillipines and are unskilled. They will only give you their first names. They refused to give you corporate information or phone numbers. All they ever say is that i not allowed to give names. They can take your money in cash but can"t refund your money. You can purchase the cards all around the United States but you cant refund them in the U.S. What a scam...My Question is why do we put up with this in America...They need to compensate me for my loss. It took them 2 weeks before i received my money back minus 4.95 charge..They charge me for their incompetence. They claimed that it was federal law after 911 that they was questioning my name. I worked for the airlines and i had just traveled from Atlanta through tsa screening. The nerve of them to question my identity from the phillipines. How ridiculous can their policies be...What a lie...Never Again...I may start boycotting venders who sell their product...

• Mi
    michelle lopez Jul 21, 2009

I also have a greendot prepaid credit card i tried useing at a shopping store the prepaid greendot card was swiped through on the machine it declined that is very embarrasseing in the store the card was declined and said it wasnt a credit card nowi dont have trouble with my card when i call directly to a bill agency i owe they take right off my card i seem cant use the card through a credit or debit card machine in the store im afraid to put money on the card get into a store and cant use it . awful

• Xl
    xlr8u2 Jun 29, 2009

i have used greendot online for about two years now and have appsolutly no complaints. i have ordered some questionalbe products (grants360.com). i was told that i would be give the info for grants 360 if i paid postage (2.95). out it on my greendot card and the next day found out they tryed to charge me first $86. then 36 dollars, but because i only put the amount i want to spen on the card they couldn't get any money and greendot didn't charge for check return ($35 like the bank will) this is a great card and i am trying to see if i can start advertzing for them (affiliate). jim alan countingblackhjackcards.com

• Gr
    gregpearson Jun 12, 2009

I bought a green dot meijer card, and activated it with no problems. The website transactions are a joke. But I put $500 on the card and used all of the balance except maybe $1.50. so I figure either I would find something to buy for $1.50 or reload it. But in just two weeks time, I called to check my balance, it was $0.00 - WTF !!! - it's been only 2 weeks. The automated ### told me my bal was $0 and that my card was over drawn $3.
    I tried to call to cancel the card imeadiately that automated option wasnt avail. The option to report card lost was so called avail., I was gonna say I lost it. I was on hold fo 10 min., so I said ### it - I cut that card up so fast. GREEN DOT SUCKS !!!

carrie Jun 02, 2009

i agree with all the complaints i had money stole too. they suck!!!

• Sh
    SHOES May 23, 2009

I ONLY PURCHASED THE CARD TO GO OUT OF TOWN WITH INSTEAD OF CARRYING CASH, BUT CASH IS MUCH MORE SECURE THEN THIS COMPANY.
    I BOUGHT MY GREENDOT CARD AT K MART. I USED IT 2 TIMES TO PAY BILLS OVER THE TELEPHONE. I WENT LATER TO GET A FEW GROCERIES AND IT WAS DECLINED. I HAVE CALLED EVERY PHONE NUMBER I COULD FIND FOR THESE PEOPLE, AND I COULD NOT GET TO A ACTUAL PERSON AFTER OVER 2 HOURS OF PLAYING THE GAME THEY HAVE GOING. SO IF YOU SHOULD EVER NEED TO SPEAK TO A REAL PERSON REGARDING THIS PRODUCT. I WISH YOU ALL GOOD LUCK. I AM GOING TO HAVE TO FIGHT THROUGH THE MAIL TO GET MY REFUND BACK AND I WILL NEVER EVER USE THIS COMPANY AGAIN...VERY SHADY AT THE LEAST.
    BE WARE
    BE WARE

• Da
    daniel May 20, 2009

ugh I HATE Green Dot, they keep taking money from me, i get that they need 4.95 a month but... why!? greed of course. someone needs to make a card that doesnt charge a monthly fee, nothing is for the people anymore, its only about money! i hate green dot.