Green Dot Moneypakstolen money

H Review updated:

I bought the moneypak with the amount of $500 from green dot at a local walgreen for the first time on June 22, 2009 at 3:37 PM. On June 23, 2009, I tried to use this card to pay some bills but they said that all $500 was already withdraw into an account. I call their Lost & Stolen department to report right away and explain that I did not authorise this transation. They asked me to submit the original receipt for processing. I fax the receipt to them on the same day June 23, 2009 at 2:38 PM. And I even called 10 min later to make sure they received the fax and they verified that it was received. They instructed me to wait for two bussiness day. I called back after two days and they have not process the paper work and asked me to wait for another two business day. I called back four days later, they said that they will not process my claim any further due to the money was paid to a business and that was it. This is my first time using this kind of financial service and they are one of the largest company providing such product and service.
As I explain to Green Dot representative that I did not give any authorization nor provide pin for any business transactions. This money was stolen from me right after I bought the the card at local Walgreen or it may not even load into my card. If Green Dot can advise that the $500 was loaded to a "Partner Card belonging to another customer" then who is this customer. I want proof, name, and transaction receipt, etc. They should investigate further rather concluded that I "may have attempted to use the MoneyPak" after I told them that I did not activation the pin numbers. Since they are a big corporation, they can just say whatever they want to. Isn't that what their "Lost & Stolen" department for? Must I file the police report for this lost and stolen to get the service to pursue the investigation further with them? What kind of support is this for their product to the consumer? My claim should be good enough for them to find out who stole this money. I still want them to track this money down to whoever that they said from the partner card customer and refund my stolen money. My Houston police report case number is [protected] but they will not do anything unless a subpoena is served.

• Sc
    Scam Dec 10, 2008

Visa is messing with people's lively hood.This matter needs to be taken up with the Better Business Bureau immediately.Everyone who is having a problem with these cards can and should take their complaint to the BBB.
    I have just purchased aVisa card the day after thanksgiving and already I have found out these cards and the people behind them are taking people for their money.Times are too hard these days and I for one will and won't be taken. I am sending a certified letter to the BBB and to the senator of my state to see what can be done to stop this from happening to anyone else.

Signed,
    Messing with the wrong person

• La
    Laurie Dec 10, 2008

forget the BBB -
    File complaints with Federal Trade Commission

• Gi
    Gina69 Jul 25, 2009

I understand how she must feel, after all, with economy now in these days to give away 500 bucks just like that is kinda hard. What she should've done was go to better business bureau and file a complaint against them. Keep in mind that in this country people get away only with what we let them get away with, because there are place where you could get the proper help in fraud situations like this .I personaly think she should get proper people to dig further into the situation. Heavens knows how many others have been or are going through the same situation as this lady and still untill this day still wondering what happen with their funds. Don't give up just like that with out a fight or we'll be reading the same shameful situation from another victim . Fight it!!!

• Nc
    ncrumby Aug 14, 2009

Thank you so much for the previous reports about this scam. I am making a report to the FBI to see if they can do anything. I have been told before that if there is no monetary harm, they can't do anything. Seems like you have to be taken in to get any kind of help. A word to anyone who was taken in... contact your local FBI office immediately. Your bank is not your friend.

Nathan

Malcolm a. Percle Aug 24, 2009

sent me a fake check ands promises of grant money in the amount of $10, 000.00

• Ss
    sscmvns Sep 22, 2009

GREEN DOT MONEY PAK is FRAUD. They take your money and will transfer the funds to their so called "partner" and we will never get to know if the money is transferred to someone whom we want it to transfer. I had a very very bad experience with them. I lost $599 with the money paks. They are very headstrong too. They will not provide any details of the accounts the money is/was transferred to unless you file a lawsuit.

• Ld
    Ldog Dec 21, 2009

I have used MoneyPak cards combined with the Walmart Money Card Visa to transfer money to my daughter in school across country. Had absolutely NO problems. However, I call her immediately when I get the MoneyPak to give her the number on the MoneyPak card which she immediatlely calls in to the 800 number on her Money Card Visa. The money is transferred instantly! She goes to Walmart ATM machine and gets cash. Of course you have to pay the $3 fee. But thats cheap!
    I would never buy a MoneyPak card and carry it around for any length of time, I use them immediatley after purchase. No problems at all so far!

• Cl
    clarkejoe Jan 25, 2010

Before I bought Greendot gift card I was under the impression that I could reload it easily online and not have to pay 5 dollars fee to load it, nor the monthly fee
    Hi: I am looking for a gift card for a family member which I can
    1 Quickly load from a checking/banking/credit/paypal account
    2 Cannot be overdrawn
    3 Loading fees are at a minimum
    4 No or little monthly charge
    5 Useable at many ATMs at minimum fee.
    6 Low or no interest rate

Do you have something like that?

Sincerely, jc

• Mi
    Mike McCurley Jan 30, 2010

I had a Green Dot Mastercard for about 6 months before it got hacked 3 weeks before Christmas last year. When I notified them of unauthorized charges via their lost/stolen page, they shut down the account but never responded within 2 working days as their site claims they do. I couldn't even access the account history to file an accurate police report.

More recently I purchased a Green Dot Visa, and was unable to activate it 1/2 hour after purchase. I returned to the store and the manager was unable to activate it as well. The only reason I got my money back was that I had the purchase reciept to present to a very embaresed store manager.

I hope the administers of this site report all of these Green Dot problems to whatever oversight agency these companies are supposed to be regulated by.

• Ti
    timb59 Mar 24, 2010

Houston21, Contact the Attorney General of Texas. You can find he/she online, if this has become a trend email
    the Texas Attorney General. Give it a try, good luck . I myself bought a Green Dot Pay -Pal and I'm having some problems of my own. Tim

• H8
    H8greendot May 05, 2010

I bought a greendot moneypak card to reload my greendot visa with 500 dollars to pay my rent. after i tried to scratch the backing off and the numbers went with it, i called the 1800 number and they said it would take 1 business day to return my funds...my rent is due today and the money is still not there...and the "customer service" rep hung up on me!!! now my rent will be short 500 dollars and i am NEVER late. smh...I WILL NEVER USE GREENDOT AGAIN!

• Mo
    Mookie May 11, 2010

I requested a refund from moneypak and I received it in a reasonable amount of time.
    It took 16 days even though they said 3-5 business days.
    But I realized that I'm not the only person filing for a refund or closing
    my Green Dot account, Give it time you'll get your refund.

• He
    Heather Vaughn Jun 12, 2010

The first time I used the card I had NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!!! Everthything went just like they said it would
    This time has been nothing but a NIGHTMARE, I have been unable to load the card much less use the card and of course there is not a human being anywhere to be found to discuss these problems with and see if we couldnt resolve them! WHAT A COMPLETE DISAPPOINTMENT THIS TIME! I highly doubt I'm going to do this again for the fee's.
    they charge for their services I expect much much better service

• Lo
    loosing money all the time Jun 16, 2010

I have grown to hate green dot! Is the theivery comming from inside?

• Mo
    Mookie Jun 17, 2010

I closed my account the same day I opened due to a service charge for not having direct deposit.
    Within 3 weeks I received a refund check. Never had any problems with this company.

AnnoyedByScams3333 Jun 25, 2010

I purchased a GREENDOT MONEYPAK and applied a partial balance to my PAYPAL account. PayPal only allows a limited amount to be deposited per month, of which I met. The balance remaining on the moneypak is UNAVAILABLE. Once you activate, you cannot use any remaining balances on your MONEYPAK for ANY OTHER PRE-PAID CARD. They are holding my money.

• He
    heriberto santiago Jun 27, 2010

so i bought a green dot card and right after i loaded 500$. i tried to check my balance and what was my surprise i possessively request a refund... two mins. after i open my account. so now i have to wait for it on the mail. but as i was reading these comments i started to wonder if i'll get my money back. they told me (the computer system) I'll get the money with in 10 business days. but what if i DON'T receive it? i live in Seattle and i don't want to wait until the 10 days go by to start to search for help!

• De
    Debb32911 Jun 29, 2010

OK i just purchased a Moneypak from Walgreens and put $325 on the card via the cashier. I wanted to put it on my paypal but I'm thinking now to just withdraw it.
    My question is to those whom have withdrawn funds. What is the processes when you request the check in the mail? Is it easily done or do you need to give your SSN??
    Thanks in advance,
    Dave

• Ki
    kids4 Jul 08, 2010

I have had nothing but problems with money pak, i cut up the card they sent me because there is no customer support. My girlfriend is being messed with by them and getting the run around is this what the $4.99 gets you? How do I sue these theives?

JohnsonKan Jul 31, 2010

@ Money goes missing from my card all the time; a little here and a little there. When I load my green dot visa, I have to load it with the exact amount I will need to pay a bill and use it very soon after. If leave a balance, it will go missing.

I have grown to hate green dot! Is the theivery comming from inside?
    they charge u 5 dollar each month -.-

• Ho
    Holibird Aug 17, 2010

Purchased moneypak card $300 on Friday. Went to reload... funds avail= $0!! I called immediately, They opened a research ticket and was told to call back Monday if I did not see the funds on my account. Called Monday was told the $ was reloaded to someone elses acct. I was told to wait until midnight and that the funds would be posted to my account. Today is Tuesday... no funds! Called them back. Now I am being asked to fax the receipt and moneypak card. WTF!! Why wasnt I asked to do this on Friday?? And now Im being told to wait 2 more business days!!?? I refused to get off the phone until they told me something different. Was placed on hold for approx. 10 minutes. Then was told request is being expedited as the requested info had been received from me. I informed the "supervisor" that I was recording our conversation as she also told me that the previous employees I spoke to had "lied to me" about when I should expect for my $300 to show on my card. She said that was fine and said that as soon as my request was processed they would call me. Will wait and see.

• Fu
    fujishimaakiko Sep 11, 2010

I have been using this card for over a year. I feel most of the complaints are stemming from people that do not do several things.

1. Read the information about charges and maintenance fees that are applied to the card.
    2. Realize that you will have "small change" charges in the areas of 21 cents here, 12 cents there, etc for what are called "Foreign Transaction Fees" which are applied when you use something like PayPal to pay for an ebay auction purchase, etc. Or from stores that apply a fee for you to make a purchase using a debit card (some places charge 50 cents for the service, as that is what the companies that make the swipe machines charge them for each debit card they swipe through the machine.. and businesses rather you eat the cost than them.)
    3. Fees from using an ATM, that is not covered by Green Dot's free ATM machines. You can find a list on the GreenDot site local of banks in your area that have ATMs that GreenDot does not charge a fee for you to use. However, the bank may have fees when you use their ATM, which will also show up as "Foreign Transaction Fee".

People just need to read the fine print and know all the charges and fees they will have to pay to use the card.

I have only had one issue, and that wasn't due to GreenDot, it was due to an ex stealing my card and making purchases. I called GreenDot right away and reported the stolen funds. They gave me precise instructions on how to get my money back. I had to call the companies myself, and if they would not refund my money, GreenDot has a department that will come and dispute the charges on your behalf.

I got more help from GreenDot than I did from the claims department of the company my ex made purchases from with my card. GreenDot even sent me a new card free of charge (they normally charge 10 dollars to replace a lost or stolen card, unless you pay the 3 dollars a month for VIP status), and my funds were back on my card in less than 24 hours.

• Cr
    crysanialife7 Sep 25, 2010

I have absolutly no problems with any green dot money paks.People do go around writing down the numbers on gift cards money paks etc and then call to find out if it has been activated and as soon as one of them is they use it.

• Su
    susan815 Nov 10, 2010

anybody know how to find an ATM that doesn't charge for withdrawals?

• Db
    dbones Nov 11, 2010

Just a few months ago I recieved my tax money on greendot because I used turbo tax.I had over 8ooo thousand dollars.I live in mobile alabama and someone cleaned me out in Canada at an atm using my card and pin.I never lost my card.I called everyday for my statement they would say the same thing over and over.Its on its way.When I went online to view my transactions they were gone.Months went by.All I got was a little over 1000 dollars back.I still dont know how much money was taken from me.Please can someone help me, Im begging.Please contact me at [email protected] and thank you so much.

• Si
    Sick of Crappy Service!! Jan 01, 2011

Greendot is garbage!! I bought a card for the first time (which will be the last time!!) to fund my PayPal account. I went to fund my account my account and I was prompted to complete a form stating that they needed to research my card before I could fund the account. I filled out the form and received an email with a phone number that got me nowhere. I called the number on the back of the card and was told that there was a block on the card and I needed to fax the receipt and a copy of the card. I faxed the card that same day, they told me it would be fixed in one business day. I gave them time to "fix" it and tried again, I still could not use the card. I called to see what was going on, they told me that the fax was not received. I asked to talk to a supervisor who told me that she was looking at my fax and she would get it fixed and call me back in 30 minutes. I never received a call back and the card was not fixed. I called the following day and was told the same thing, that the fax was received and the card would be "fixed". I still have not been able to use the card. I absolutely hate greendot and I will never use them again!! I am going to report them to the better business and I will be sure to let everyone that I ever speak with know just how crappy the customer service is!! I hope these idoits go out of business!!!

• Kl
    kleinz30 Feb 08, 2011

I purchased 3 green dot money packs on oct. 31st, 2010. 30 min. Each card ( Pin ) was to be a total of $1000.00. for a grand total of $ 3000.00. 30 min. after i purchased cards, 2 of the pins were deemed invalid. I called green dot, They said the funds for these 2 cards were loaded into an account ( of which I did not autorize ) I asked when the funds were loaded on to account, & they told me it was 30 min. after i bought it. Like previous comments, I faxed my receipt and reported these transactions as fraud. I waited for 2 days, they never contacted me as they said they would. I called them back 4 days later to find a resolution and get my $2000.00 back. To make a long story short. They basically told me nothing. Only that it went into 2 seperate accounts. ( 1 in Texas & 1 in New york ) I Filed a stolen Items report with the local police department. it has been over 3 month's now & not much progress. Investigator filed a supeona with the financial institution who oversaw the transactions ( Mango Financial ) Mango financial has not responded to multiple supeona's. Un-freakin believable !!! WTF !!! Im tired of this $#IT. I truly believe this is an inside job. Green dot will hear from me every day 5 times a day until there are answers. Anyone else investigated and found mango financial to be company in charge of transactions?

• De
    DearDolly Feb 09, 2011

I have lost $225.00 because of GreenDot MoneyPak. I will never use that so called company ever again, and there are so many other options like prepaid Visa cards, etc. that I am surprised that ANYONE uses GreenDot. Obviously from the other posts here, many people are losing money due to GreenDot. I BELIEVE WE SHOULD ALL REPORT THIS EVIDENTLY FRAUDULENT ACTIVITY TO OUR STATE ATTORNEY GENERALS OFFICE, which is exactly what I am going to do now, and ALSO WILL REPORT THIS TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU. I WILL INCLUDE A LINK TO THIS PAGE AS WELL. Good Luck to all of us who seem to have money floating in cyberspace (or someone's pocket).

• Na
    nat nat Feb 12, 2011

I was looking at this bedroom suite. The price seemed to good to be true. So I searched the company, they only gave me the option of using the greendot money pak. I am glad I read all of these comments before I made the biggest mistake of my paychek. I found the bed on e-bay for 1500.00 and they offered the whole bedroom suite for 930.00. The company's name is mall of olympia. Thank you for saving me from losing my money. Sorry for all of you that have.

• Kt
    K Thomas Apr 19, 2011

my daughter bought a money pak card at the local grocery store, Kroger. She came straight home after the purchase to activate it for over $200 and it was gone! She called money pak as was told the money was place on a WALMART card. It is going on two weeks now and MoneyPak reps keep giving her the run around although they admit to getting her fax (the documents they required her to fax). I feel we may have to seek legal action to correct this and it appears there is serious fraudulent activities that MoneyPak is quite knowing of, based on all the complaints here and on the Better Business Bureau! Something needs to be done about this company. We plan to contact the media. Everyone, contact your investigative reporters in your area to bring this company to light and to help with our individual cases. I fear my daughter may never get her money back! Shame on you MoneyPak for allowing this happen and then running and hiding from the customers!

• masspike May 06, 2011

please I ask everyone with the same problem send a email with a signature, I want to file a lawsuit against green dot money pack
    I lost $ 500 in two days a go I have eight people waiting for my payment on ebay, all I have to pay close to $500
    if I don't pay for next day possible some open case on ebay with complain, and my ebay account problem to close, , all of this, bacause money pack lost my money, when I get money pack munber to add found in my paypal account, the message come in screen of my computer

The MoneyPak was refunded on 5/4/2011 11:43:31 PM in the amount of $500.00.

I know the office money pack is :

Corporate Office
    P.O. Box 1187
    Monrovia, CA 91017

who can' i help me, please I want make a list of names of people who have prejudice with green dot money pack
    for to isue in supreme court of framingham MA 01701, my city .

[email protected] .

• Ho
    houstondee May 10, 2011

i wih i would have read this before i gave the my 500. ive went back to the store gotten my reciepts spoken with store mangement. the store receipts say thmoney went through their system. but its not showing on this moneypak card. i didnt know we couldnt reload the same money pak card and trust i read the entire card me and the store supervisor, i have bills i need to pay today thats the reason i put money on it yesterday to find out today that noone knows where my money is they're telling me it will take 24 hours from the time i faxed my receipt, but anther supervisor there told me she would put in a request to get it expedited quickly, she lied i spoke with anther supervisor who told me 24 hours so I;m basically screwed till this is resolved. which i pray is within 24 hours being i have rental car due back today"now paying for an extra day". and part of that money was for the car and my phone bill which is due today. go figure this ###. i would definitly want to file a major complaint because not only am i losing with them i am spending extra money for late payment and late return. can some one help me out on how to make this go quicker. i cant afford this i may be emailed @[email protected]

• Ba
    BARONMOSS Jul 19, 2011

I AM EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEM. I LOST MY RECEIPT BUT THE MONEY WAS NEVER DRAWN FROM GREENDOT. THEY ARE TELLING ME THEY HAVE NO WAY TO TRACK IT. "BS" IN THIS DAY OF MODERN TECHNOLOGY THEY CAN'T TELL ME THEY CAN'T TRACK IT. I HAVE A JOURNAL REPORT FROM THE STORE SHOWING THE PURCHASE. I GUESS I AM GONNA HAVE TO REPORT THEM TO BBB OR ATTORNEY GENERAL. THEY HAVE $500 OF MY MONEY AND I CAN IMAGINE HOW MANY OTHER PPL'S MONEY THEY HAVE KEPT.

• Ba
    BARONMOSS Jul 19, 2011

THEY REFUSE TO REFUND MY $500 TO THAT I NEVER USED. I LOST THE RECEIPT BUT THEY CAN'T TELL ME THEY CAN NOT LOCATE MY FUNDS. I GUESS IT WILL BE THE BBB OR ATTORNEY GENERAL. THIS IS A BILLION DOLLAR SCAM.

Andrew Nixon Jul 30, 2011

I am very disapointed in my last transaction with Greendot Money Pak. I purchased a money pak to load for my daughters school clothes and when I got home to load it online, it stated that the auth. code was already used. I initially thought it was a glitch so I tried loading it over the phone... same result. I called customer service and they kept asking me if I had given the number to someone else. Their solution was to file a claim and for me to send a copy of my original receipt and moneypak. They informed me they were able to trace down what account the funds were loaded to but could not disclose that information. I began to get irritated since they obviously saw that the funds did not go to me and that they still wanted to go through a claim process. They put me on hold several times and after being bounced around, the manager informed me that they were able to approve the funds be loaded to my card. I told her I was pleased with the money being loaded onto the account but was very disapointed with the information I received regarding exactly how this took place. She was quick to reiterate that I need to make sure that the number does not go out to a different party and that I keep my moneypak secure. Thats when I began to lose my cool and inform her that the only two people who saw my code was ME and the Walmart Cashier. Her response was, "if I don't feel comfortable that I need to find another way of loading my card." My response was *CLICK*

• Tw
    tw1972 Sep 23, 2011

I completly understand what everyone is saying. I purchased one from a local walmart and when I scratched the number off to use it later, it said that it was already placed into another account. I filed a claim and they reimbursed me for it but it is still a hassel.

• Fi
    Fight for our rights Apr 30, 2012

Green Dot that is partnered with Wal-Mart is a Scam from the word Go! I made a payment to my cell phone provider and they processed it for the wrong amount well I did not catch it for a couple days till I tried to use my card and it was declined they took 300.00. I contacted my cell phone provider and they told me that after 24hrs that the card holder would have to reverse the transaction through the machine and get my money reversed to the card. I called and filed my complaint with green dot they had me give the information over the phone then go to their website and print out the forms I needed to fill out and fax back over. I did all this in the same day on April 4th and I called to make sure they received it which they did. I continued to call every day to check on it and half the time the CSR's did not know what they were talking about or said that there was no notes from the previous csr's I was given wrong amounts, I was told to call back on 3 days then it turned into they had 10 days to deal with it. I called and asked for supervisors daily they would put me on with one who would just sit there and read a script of the same apology I had heard from 10 other crs's. I finally spoke with one of there dispute specialist who called my cell phone provider on 3way with me on the line and the supervisor of my cell phones dispute dept got on the phone and asked the guy why was he calling them that as a dispute agent he should know after 24hrs that the card holder being green dot has to reverse the funds through their system and back to my card. Well the Dispute agent with green dot told me it would be 10days for them to investigate. I called back the next day and got the run around and same thing. Finally I called back and they told me that the case had been closed and it was not in my favor...I asked the Supervisor what did she mean the cell phone company had told them to reverse the funds her answer was sorry dispute is closed. I then asked for the corporate number which they said there was not one...I googled it and found one as the lady continued to lie to me finally I told her I was looking at it online and she gave it to me the same number I was looking at Saying they are not suppose to give out the number. I called and spoke with a Lady named Michelle who stated that the case is closed period...I asked for her supervisor she stated that she was the highest person to talk to and she is the final say so...I asked her if she owned green dot was she the president of green dot...finally I am sure she felt so stupid that she said she would have her superior call me in 24hrs...This has not happened yet I will continue to call until my money is returned. If any of you out there are having problems with Green Dot...here is the Corp Number 866-652-4611 and the Woman who claims she makes all decisions for green dot is there her name is Michelle. Give her a call daily so she knows that people are not gonna stand for green dots scams anymore!!

• Fi
    Fight for our rights May 01, 2012

AngryBlackMan May 16, 2012

On May 11, 2012 i purchased a moneypak card from cvs. The next day the funds were unavailable. i called customer service and they said that the card is invalid. after further investigation they found that the money was loaded to an mci card. i asked how could they load their card without my pin. they said that there are numbers on the receipt that could be used. they told me that if they could get the money back from the person who took it only then will they refund my money. but they cannot give me any information on the person who took it. i am left to believe that either an employee of cvs or someone who works with moneypak is defrauding people. No one had access to my receipt except me and the persons at cvs. 5 days later i am still waiting for a resolution. i guess my money and circumstances are not important moneypak. I hope they go out of business because their customer service is poor, and they were rude to me as if i stole my own money. i am the one who had to sit on the phone with them for hours while they transfer me to different departments and have me give the same repetitive information over and over. i called on a weekend and after all the time that i spent on the phone with them, they tell me that i have to wait and call back during weekday business hours. Needless to say, i will not be buying anymore moneypaks. They lost my business with the customer service alone. I could live with losing $25, but my time on the phone with them was worth a 100 times more than that. If you buy a moneypak to load your card you best do it as soon as you purchase it.

• Bi
    billy123123 Aug 08, 2012

I think Green Pak money is part of the scamming.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices