Green Dot Grant Programbad check

S

received a check inwhich i didn't a apply for from a linda spaulding for $975.50 i was to cash it and in 5 days return 401.00 or i would be reliable to pay back the full amount.
It was written off us bank the mark was faded. the letter contained several typing errors and did some digging online.
found this site and was glad to see my doubts were not in vain.
I am now going to alert the proper authorities. sussan

mamaof5 Jan 11, 2012

I also received the same check and instructions. The only difference is mine came from the name Trisha Webster. This sucks..I really needed the money to get my autistic son into special courses. jerks!

• Gi
    girlsmom23 Feb 07, 2011

We received a check today, basically all the same stuff as everyone else. Mine says Key Services Corp, but the address is 9090 Carousel Dr Syracuse, NY 13290. Funny how the address is different from some of the others people have received! I could use that money, too! Really sad how these people can smell out the ones that really need it, too! Mine has the correct date though, but all else seems pretty consitent. I did also notice on the information for receiving the reminder of the "grant" that there were several misspelled words!! That was a pretty big red flag to me! I think a corporation would have spell check on their computers!! Especially one that is offering grants! Thanks to everyone for making me see that this wasn't real. I had a little idea, but one can always hope, ya know?! Thanks again! Hope these guys are stopped soon! It is definately too tempting!!

• Pa
    PATRICIA BARE Feb 07, 2011

WE RECEIVED A CHECK A COUPLE WEEKS AGO AND WITH TIMES HARD WE WERE TEMPTED TO CASH IT. SOME OF THE YOUNGER PEOPLE WITH KIDS AN NO JOB WILL FAR FOR THIS. IT IS A SHAME TO THEY ARE HAVING A HARD ENOUGH TIME. LIKE ALL OF YOU MY HUSBAND WENT ONLINE AND FOUND ALL OF YOU. THANK YOU SO MUCH. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THE BANK HAS CALLED ANYONE YET WHO HAS CASHED THE CHECK. ? WE TURNED OURS IN TO OUR POST MASTER.

clgoshert Jan 30, 2011

i just received one of these scam checks. Mine was from Kate Hennessey and the check was from Key Bank. same thing the check was for $952.23 and i was suppossed to cash it and FAX a greendot moneypak number WITHIN FIVE DAYS for $407.50. Alot of RED FLAGS here so i figured to google it and came to this site. I am going to take mine to the post office and report it.

clgoshert Jan 30, 2011

I just received a check like this. Same scenerio but different person. My person i am suppossed to send greendot moneypak to is Kate Hennessey. I was almost certain it was a scam but decided to do alittle research anyway. Sorry about your loss just try to remember if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

• Ge
    getthemnow Jan 23, 2011

Well it looks like these poeople are at it agin, I received a letter today from a Kate Hennessey, First Red flag name sounds crazy, the date on the check is 01-19-2010 2nd red flag, it's [protected]), No watermark on the check 3rd red Flag. And it looks as if the whole letter in off center. This kind of stuff has to stop and we need to find these people and shut them Down. Also I don't know where they mailed this from there was no postmark on the outside of this letter. Also I will contact greendot since they are using their name this is just sad to me. People get taken every day and to try and get away with this kind of stuff is just sad. I own a business and this came in the name of my business and trust me I could have used $10, 000 but I will not be a sucker for nobody!!! And by any chance that you [censor] holes will read this you will get caught and I hope that when you go to jail that some tall man name killer [censor]s you in the [censor], you [censor]ing [censor]s!!!

• Need legal help or legal advice. Go to www.prerpaidlegal.com/hub/cameroncopeland. Hopefully this site can help you to a better future.

• El
    Elittle Dec 11, 2010

Hi, my name is Ebony Little.And, I also received a check from these people.Her name is Vickie Marshall.WATCH OU TFOR HER ALSO!!!

• We
    welljustB Nov 20, 2010

I received a check yesterday from the Greendot Help Foundation and Vicki Marshall regarding the same $10, 000 grant requiring a 4.02% commission be sent via Greendot to Vickie Marshall. I was actually surprised that there wasn't more out there on the internet about the scams. There is a ton out there regarding Greendot money packs-which, evidently, are a pain in the @$$ to deal with when things go wrong. I am intelligent woman, but one who needs money. This, if true, would have been fantastic. BUT, there were just too many warning signs...no return address, requesting a commission, I didn't apply. Sadly, I have just ripped this up. If you get one, too-do the same. Then warn others.

christy55 Apr 17, 2010

I just received one today from Chase Bank. I knew it was too good to be true. You can only wish that there was really program out there that would help the working class. What makes me upset is that there are programs out there that helps the bail out the large business but nothing for the working class that is trying to make it pay check to pay check. I always make sure my bills are paid every month and live on what ever is left. which is not much when you have 3 kids, two of them who are teenagers. When I went to ask to get my house payment lowered they tell me that I don't qualify because I have never been late on a payment. ok I guess my kids don't need to eat good meals every night. Lets just give it to those how don't pay there bills at all or to those who make so much money they spend it on jets or trips around the world. I am all about paying for what I owe but I need some help too!!!

• Go
    Gombeyone Apr 01, 2010

TRUST **NO** ONE!!! They are all liars and scammers!!!

• Ca
    CadyMack Apr 01, 2010

This is soo sad! People have absolutely no scruples. My husband received one of these checks, and if I had not opened it, it could possibly be bouncing around in our account. I know that he is always applying for grants for small minority business owners, and thought that one of the grant requests had finally come through (I was ready to start playing let's make a deal with our creditors). Today is April 1st, 2010 but I am no fool!

• Gu
    guardian866 Mar 24, 2010

A friend of mine got one too I almost took him to the bank to cash it but decide to look on the internet first god bless you guys for coming forward and letting an ingnorant public learn from your trials and downfalls may you be blessed for your willingness to spread the word about these demons feeding on the struggling masses in these troubling times and with a little faith these evil people will find there just rewards.
    Again thank you from A greatful soul

• El
    elizabeth2010 Mar 21, 2010

I am so upset right now ! i recieved a check from Mary Kennedy-and cashed it @ my bank- My first thoughts were sketiciptal but i was in need of the money and i had been applying for scholorships and grants -since i just starting attending school again- so i didnt think about cashing it- and took it to my bank and sure enough- Receieved the cash and send the commission through the greendot money pak as instructed---i am soooo mad at myself right now_ i allowed myself to become a victim- i made complainents with money pak and they are aware of this and as made a officially police report- but i am the VICTIM and feel so Used and ...Angry right now...! I hope who ever is behind this get Caught!

• Gu
    *GUZMAN* Mar 12, 2010

Kudos, for the INTERNET and the FOLKS who ALERT!!! I as many of you received a letter from a so called Mary Edwards from the GREENDOT Assistance Foundation stating that she has aquired a 10K cash financial aid grant for me. Sounded to good to be true! There was no call back #, just a fax#. Attached to the letter the so called "official check" from KEY SERVICES CORP with a faded key icon and signature for the amount of 955.99 looked very suspicious. On top of that instructions were to cash or deposit this check and within 5 days to send 4.02% to "Mary Edwards" for commission fee through a greendot moneypak. Then they would rush the next check for the amount of 9, 044.01 by Airmail Express the next day. From the start I was reading FRAUD all over the letter, because I did not apply for a grant. What got me skeptical the most was if I so called have 10K grant, then why do I have to pay a commission. Poeple from the past have advised me that if you get a sholarship/grant, you should never have to be asked to pay a commission or fee. Otherwise it's a scam. I'm glad I went online and found this forum to confirm my suspicious and alert others. Remember if you are skeptical about something you can always GOOGLE it!

cheryls417 Sep 08, 2009

Recieved check in the mail and said I had been selected for a 5k grant, first payment of 928 was sent all I had to do was buy a greendot visa card and send linda spaulding a commission of 1.5 or 75 dollars but not to activate the card.

• Ri
    RickyD Aug 29, 2009

I agree, this so called "Greendot Grant Program" is a scam. I too have received a check from Linda Spaulding. Envelope had no return address, The US bank logo is faded and blurry & does not have a return address. As usual, the check is for $956.96 she wants me to send $402.50 of this amount and I would receive a check after I've paid the commission.

As we all know, this check is fake & there is no $10, 000 free grant. If you were to cash it, it will bounce and you will have to pay for it in the long run. A couple years ago, I received a check similar to this one but it did not have the attached statement. But since then I've learned to be more careful when it comes to mysterious checks in the mail. Because I came so close to owing my bank $5, 000. As good as $956.96 sounds, I think it's not worth it. I'm going on vacation in a week, so you know how well that money would have spent in Jamaica. (LOL)

But seriously, I think something needs to be done about checking scams, these heartless ### don't care about us and it's a shame that they would prey on us, to make a few dollars. I honestly believe that there are enough people here to get the attention of those advisers over whitehouse.gov . think about it.

• Jv
    j vasquez Aug 28, 2009

i recieved a check in the mail and saw that it was for 957.71 i felt suspecious.so i got on the internet and looked it up and found out it was a scam.so i am gled i did not touch this check

• Ra
    Ray_Ray_18 Aug 28, 2009

I also have received this BOGUS check #[protected] in amount of $957.71. Same story as everyone else, same person Linda Spaulding. Same ###!! Too bad, I really thought it was for real. Like they say, if it's too good to be true it probably isn't!!! Sucks! Well, good luck everyone. I'm not the sucker today Linda. Ha Ha Ha

Norma J. Henderson Aug 27, 2009

I just received a check for $958.22. I was to cash the check and send Linda Spaulding $403.50 for commission. I have an account with US Bank and I told my daughter and grandson that the US Bank Logo is red, white and blue. Also, there are typos in the letter. I was very skeptical. From what I have read in the complaints, I can take this check to US Bank, the Post Office or the Police Station. Which one is better? I will be taking it somewhere tomorrow!! I did not fall for this, and I hope no one else does either!!

• Re
    Reva Doll Aug 26, 2009

Hi I also received this fake ### check... I wanted to cash it because I needed money...I need money and is tempted to cash this check ... should I do it hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp me decide?

• Ti
    Tina Hammons Aug 19, 2009

You know I received a check from her as well in the amount of $928 and to follow all the instructions and fax her the card information. All I was to send her was $75.00. I as well thought that this money would pay off bills and get creditors off my back.. I kept telling myself that this was a scam and lucky me, I don't have a checking account. I would had to have cashed this at Wal-Mart. It makes me wonder what would have happened if I were to have tried. The good thing about finding everyones stories on this is that I work for the Wal-Mart Home Office and if I would have cashed this fake check I would have gotten terminated for fraud!!! I have 3 children and people like us who are working are pretty lucky to have a job right now with the economy and how bad it is...A big thank you to everyone who left a message on here to warn people about LINDA SPAULDING...How would she feel if something like this would have happened to her???

• Go
    Gombeyone Aug 15, 2009

If it looks like a piece of S**T & smells like a piece of S**T...Then guess what folks...Its a SCAM!!! Take the letter to your Post Office & ask for a Postal Inspector to look into it!!! You might get lucky!!

clmontberry Jul 29, 2009

I just received a check for $947.00 and asking me to send back $406.00 and there will be $9053.00 waiting for me. I knew to check the legality of this as I've had checks before arriving trying to get me to cash them and send them back money.

I can smell fradulent a mile away and regardless of how much need I may have at this time especially, I had enough common sense NOT to put an extra burden on myself by doing this.

So BEWARE people and check your sources and hear what others have to say on the very same topic in question. I wish these people could be caught and prosecuted because for every one that didn't take the baist, there's probably two to three who did.

maquack Jul 28, 2009

Let's all fax a well written hate letter or picture to Linda Spaulding . Or what ever this person really is...If that is how she wanted to recieve her MoneyPak or trace the Merchant ID #5075. I hope the athorities find this person and put her in jail for a long time.

• Af
    AFS42 Jul 26, 2009

Just received a letter similar to those above. Why hasn"t any one gone to the various TV stations who have departments to look into these scams? Here in Massachusetts, both Channels 4 and 5 have such people and do a great job on finding and presenting the truth.
    My first stop tomorrow will be the local Post Office.
    My first phone call will be to Channel 4 WBZ-TV.
    AFS

• Br
    Brandi M. Jul 25, 2009

I just got the same letter. Geez! This is about the 3rd fraudulent check I've received from some random scam artist trying to get a free ride while I'm struggling to pay for school! Time to report Linda Spaulding or whoever this thief is.

• Mk
    mk_ Jul 24, 2009

Got one also. No typos, check # [protected]. Ordered to pay commission of 4.055%. This look familiar to anyone?
    mk

• Le
    lethallisa69 Jul 23, 2009

I recieved a check 2 and cashed it, now im stuck havin to pay back this money! bein a single mom and no help from the father i thought this would really help me but now it just made things worse. does anyone know wat i can do? i really need help here cuz i spent the money and now hatta pay it back. Please anyone help me if u know wat to do

• Pa
    Patsy Pruett Jul 10, 2009

I just received a check also. The same information & directions. I am so thankful for this web site. God bless each of you & may He keep us protected.

• Jm
    JMW001 Jul 10, 2009

Just received a check today. Check numbers are different, mine is [protected]. Same deal as everyone else, but spelling has been corrected. Glad to see this site!

• Dp
    dpclawson Jul 09, 2009

Just received my check from Linda Spaulding and she must be getting smarter. All of her typo's have been corrected and the check is no longer blurry. It is still issued from US Bank and would love to see if everybody is getting the same check number, "[protected]". My check was for $808.00 and they requested 4.09% of the grant total of 10, 000.00. I was to send them $409.00 using the GREENDOT MoneyPak system sold in Wal-Mart, CVS and several other places.. Still doesn't include a contact telephone number nor a return address just a fax #[protected] looks like the Feds could get this crook using her fax number.

• Wi
    wifey1287 Jul 04, 2009

I recieved the same check a few days ago. very pissed off about it becuase I c ould have really used it.
    glad i found thid site.anyways i tracked down the service providers for both fax #s [protected] whose provider is broadwing communications llc. and [protected] provider name pac-west telecom, inc.you can either call or click on the abuse links on their pages. [protected], [protected] or fax [protected]. they were very willing to help and i was happy to know that someone elese tracked them down too. this was his 40 th call to day about this linda spaulding. iff we all come together we can stop this . it's just not right . im a struggling mother of 3 and i don;t like to be f_ cked with when it come to money.

Tiffany.

• Am
    am_lawful Jul 03, 2009

My husband received the same check last week

I must say it was pretty tempting to cash this check. however, as I was reading it I noticed many typos and had a gut feeling that this was "too good to be true".

I went into the better business bereau and they do not have anything on this company, that's how you know that this is not legit. Anyhow after searching and all, I filed a complaint (BBB). Hopefully they will be able to find something.

FYI: the fax numbers listed on the letter are located somewhere in the Pasadena and Arcadia area, however, they are unpublished. I wonder why? "FRAUD, FRAUD, FRAUD"

One thing that you can do is take the check to the bank it was issued from and have their Fraud department investigate this. I hope they catch these people, they are taking advantage of innocent people and getting away with it. The more people make this aware and take it up with higher authority the sooner this whole fraud thing will reveal.

I just hope that if anyone else receives this check, they are smart enough to look at this before its too late!

• Mo
    MommaDukes Jul 02, 2009

Dear Fellow Readers,
    I received a check for $955.55 written against US Bank with a promise of receving an additional $9, 044.55. Linda Spaulding, Grant Broker is asking me to cash or deposit the check for $955.55 and send her a commission of 4.01% totaling $401.00 after I purchase a GREENDOT MoneyPak from Rite, Wal-Mart, CVS, K-Mart and other various local and trusted stores. What I am going to send her are the my local authorities; US Postal Service, Attorney General, Police Dept. and my local paper to alert everyone about this deceitful scam. Please do not get SUCKERED in to this scam! Like I tell my daughter "Nothing is free"!

johngto455ho Jul 01, 2009

Curious

Very good question has anyone cashed it and had problems? The reason I ask is that if you cash it and it is fraud then the bank and cops can go after them for mail fraud to start the list and I am sure it will go way up from there. Just my two cents.

• Ho
    Honest One Jun 29, 2009

I use the green dot debit card on a regular basis and spend $5.00 - $10.00 in addition to each time I load money on. There should not be a charge for the greendot moneypak and another one monthly for the card itself since they are of 1 company. That alone does not seem right. The letter claimed that the grant was through an affiliate of theirs. I had no reason not to believe it for as often as I have used greendot in such a short period of time. The check itself looked very real and I personally would not know a phony one if I saw it because that is not the way I operate or think. We must find out who Linda Spaulding is because she is like Madoff to a degree jeopardizing people who don't even function in the area of scam because we just don't do it.

Sincerely,

Myra M. Vincent

• Ka
    KAT G. Jun 29, 2009

I RECIEVED ONE TODAY AND CALLED THE NUMBERS THAT WERE ON THE LETTER. ONE NUMBER WAS SOME STATIC NOISE AND THE OTHER IS A FAX MACHINE. ALSO, I DID CALL THE ISSUING BANK, WHICH, BY THE WAY, WAS MONEY GRAM PAYMENT SYSTEMS, INC. IN MINNEAPOLIS, MN. 55480. THEY WOULDN'T OR COULDN'T TELL ME IF THE CHECK WAS LEGIT. THAT TOTALLY AMAZED ME. I PRAY THAT EVERYONE WHO GOT THEIR MONEY STOLEN AND WHO GOT THESE FAKE CHECKS ARE BLESSED FINANCIALLY AND THAT WE ARE RECEIVE A MIRACLE. I ALSO PRAY THAT THIS PERSON IS ARRESTED VERY SOON. THE NAME IS PROBABLY A FAKE ONE ANYWAY.

• Mr
    mrbbc Jun 28, 2009

I just received the same check! I knew it was a scam immediately! At the bottom of the check in fine print it said that its issused by Moneygram Payment System. I called moneygram, and they said it is a real check but its a part of a scam that they have been trying to investigate. There has been over 3, 800 people who have actually cashed the checks and are now having problems... Please people, report it to the police and your post office! Your bank will allow you to cash the check because it is written on a real account, but DON'T CASH OR DEPOSIT IT!

• Af
    afoust01 Jun 27, 2009

WOW. This is crazy! I got the same one! Same fax numbers. I'm taking mine to the cop shop tomorrow.