Green Dot Grant Programbad check

S

received a check inwhich i didn't a apply for from a linda spaulding for $975.50 i was to cash it and in 5 days return 401.00 or i would be reliable to pay back the full amount.
It was written off us bank the mark was faded. the letter contained several typing errors and did some digging online.
found this site and was glad to see my doubts were not in vain.
I am now going to alert the proper authorities. sussan

• Kl
    KLaFragola May 27, 2009

I just received one for $4, 869 asking me to give Linda Spaulding $973.80. This is exceptionally suspicious to anyone. I did not apply for the grant either, and mine was written on Key Bank, not US Bank. Regardless, I don't do anything without having a phone number for the supposed company that is sending me large amounts of money. Since a contact phone number was not given, I will certainly take this to the bank and file fraud charges.

BE CAREFUL PEOPLE!!!

ChadL May 28, 2009

I as well recieved a check asking for 400.00 dollars to be returned to Linda Spaulding and then my next check of 9, 025.00 would be first class air mailed to me. The spelling on this letter was atrocious. BUY was spelled as BY and everytime FROM came up in the letter it was spelled FORM. US Bank symbol was faded and skewed as well. Be aware of this scam. It could cost you big time if cashed.

• Bi
    biznsgal May 28, 2009

Anyone know who to report this to? I just got one in the mail today myself.

• Ru
    runningbear May 29, 2009

I recieved a check for 975.00 and I was to send 401.00 by fax. I did this. The check said Offical Check. I did not realize this was a scam. I cash the check and I did not recieve the 9, 024.50. Everything look legal. Now I'm going to try to find Linda Spaulding. I hope and pray that it doesn't catch up with me. I need your prayers.

• Ju
    Julie May 29, 2009

I also received one these checks. My Husband works with the US Postal Service and states that you all need to take your checks to your local Post Office and have them send it the Postal Inspectors. If all of us do this maybe we can catch up with Linda Spaulding.

• Wo
    worried Jun 01, 2009

Julie, I totally agree with you because it is completely sad that we have people in the world who prefers to take from people, instead of getting whatever they need through hard work like you and myself...

• Je
    jenabbott Jun 04, 2009

I received a check today written on US bank. The logo is blurry or distorted looking. It is written in the amount of $977.15 and I'm asked to pay $404.00 in commission to (like everyone else) Linda Spaulding. The letter even names the grant is from one of their connections-Cornell Enterprises. If I hadn't watched a show about this type of thing with my husband a couple of months ago, having 6 kids, I would've fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

• Sc
    scdukeboy Jun 04, 2009

Thanks for the comments! I just recieved the same US Bank check. I knew it was to good to be true...DANG it!!!

mary Jun 04, 2009

I RECIVED A CHECK FROM THE SAME PEOPLE. ASKING ME TO DO THE SAME THINK. I KNEW FROM THE START IT WAS A FAKE. I HOPE THEY CAN GET STOP BEFORE SOME FOOL OUT THERE SENDS THEM THEIR MONEY. MARY FROM FLORIDA. THANK YOU THEY SHOULD ALL CHECK THE WEB SITE FRIST.

• Da
    Dave M Jun 05, 2009

i got scamed... im not going to get in trouble will i?? i cashed the check and used portion of it to pay back bills??can anyone help me out on suggestion on what to do??? i thought it was lagit even more when my bank cashed it...by all means ill pay the bank back but how is this gonna hurt me??

• Dl
    dlove Jun 06, 2009

today i recieved the us bank check to be deposited in the amount of 975.25 but i had to pay the sender linda spaulding 4.03% 403.00 total.. i knew that this was to good to be true.. the envelope didnt have a return address and the letter didnt have a phone number. im not going to lie i thought just maybe this could be true so i got online and typed in greendot grant program.. and so here i am!!lol its not a funny situation because i am a single 31 yr old with 2 children i could have really used that money.. but i would much rather investigate then get in trouble... the way you can help is send emails with this info to all your email contact list and help the people that you no... goodluck to the people who cashed the checks and congrats on the ones who didnt!!!

• Aw
    awyattman Jun 06, 2009

Dave M, the bank will expect you to repay that money.

If you have the money, give it to the bank, and that will probably be the end of it.

however if you don't have the money, they will probably call the police.

I'd sell whatever I could to have that money to give them when they ask for it. You don't want a criminal record at this time for fraud. You will never be able to find a decent job for the rest of your life.

• Te
    Teresa Kilpatrick Jun 07, 2009

I recieved a 977.00 check from the same Linda Spaulding said get a money pack send her back 4.04% which is 404.00 then fax her back the card numbers money pak numbers in other words. Then I will get the 9, 000.00 something back by airmail in 24 hours the check was written on a US Bank check The US was faded and some typos in the letter that was attached to the check.
    I looked it up on the internet and ran across the comments page here I am turning the check over to my local Police Station hopefully they will find her and put bullitins out on her for her arrest we want some justice done all of us on here and all over the world it is our information that is getting used in a lot of these scams and its not right and we all need to do something about her I will see what I can find out when I take it in I will have them look it up on the internet thanks for the info on this. Thanks Teresa Kilpatrick EVERYONE THAT GETS THIS KIND OF A CHECK PLEASE CHECK IT OUT ON THE INTERNET FIRST THERE IS NO NUMBER OR RETURN ADDRESS ON THE ENVELOPE PLEASE TURN IT OVER TO THE POLICE OR SHREIFF IT IS A FAKE A FRAUD AND A PHONY CHECK PLEASE DO NOT CASH IT YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY IT BACK AND COULD FACE CHARGES. THANKS TERESA KILPATRICK ANOTHER SMART NOT TO FALL FOR IT VICTIM OF THIS LINDA SPAULDING.

• Br
    Brenda Jun 12, 2009

I received my check today and I felt like it was to good to be true. I have been trying to find out the true nature of this check all afternoon. Thank You all, now my family will be safe from this scam. I'm going to the post office first thing in the morning.

• Co
    cole Jun 14, 2009

I also received a $965.21, with $19, 034.79 on the way IF I send Linda Spaulding $402.20. There is something about a fax number and a Greendot Money pak. i am supposed to go buy one from a store, load it with the $402.20, then fax her the card number or activation number. The fax number I am supposed to Fax it to is [protected] or [protected]. Maybe with these numbers the authorities can find her.

• Bl
    bljd26 Jun 14, 2009

I too have received one of these checks...and it is like most of you have said...typos and Usbank kind of faded...it does have 2 fax #'s on this letter attached to the check...[protected] or [protected]...I was also skeptical and am so glad that I checked this out before taking it to the bank tomorrow...I have 2 kids as well and sure could have used the money as we all could at this time however, I again am so thankful that I didn't fall for this scam...I hope this helps others as much as it did me...

• shoelady2oo Jun 14, 2009

There is no real Linda Spaulding. That's a fake name the scammers use. For those who fell for it, do repay the banks. You can be charged with passing bad checks and fraud.

Why oh why would someone send you free money anyway? There is no Santa Claus!!

As PT Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute and these scammers know it.

Ay yi yi! This is such an ollllllllllld scam.

Why didn't any of you check with the issuing bank? You would have seen the checks were stolen and forged. I'll bet the signature was scrawled too.

• Cu
    curious Jun 14, 2009

Ok- what I have yet to hear-
    Has anyone had the check returned by their bank as "UNPAID" or FRAUDULENT???

• Cu
    curious Jun 14, 2009

IF IT HAS- the bank will handle it.

• Ki
    KIWI73703 Jun 15, 2009

I just received the same thing in the bank. I was very skeptical, because I never known for a grant office to give you FREE money and you have to send them commission. After discussing this with my sister she informed me that it sounded like a fraud! I was telling my husband it can't be real there are too many typos in the "business" letter. No phone number was found. I'm glad I checked this out before I took it to the bank. I will take this letter to the police station - or where do I take it. I hope they catch this Linda Spalding ~ BE CAREFUL EVERYONE!

• Md
    MD, Maryland Jun 25, 2009

I received the same type of check and letter, but I chose to do research on line first. As soon as I typed in GreenDot Grant Program, rip-off review had postings showing immediately. We could all use extra money, but not money that we have to pay for. That defeats the purpose of it being extra. Please, everyone check things out first. I am a widowed mother of five and could use everything extra.

• Af
    afoust01 Jun 27, 2009

WOW. This is crazy! I got the same one! Same fax numbers. I'm taking mine to the cop shop tomorrow.

• Mr
    mrbbc Jun 28, 2009

I just received the same check! I knew it was a scam immediately! At the bottom of the check in fine print it said that its issused by Moneygram Payment System. I called moneygram, and they said it is a real check but its a part of a scam that they have been trying to investigate. There has been over 3, 800 people who have actually cashed the checks and are now having problems... Please people, report it to the police and your post office! Your bank will allow you to cash the check because it is written on a real account, but DON'T CASH OR DEPOSIT IT!

• Ka
    KAT G. Jun 29, 2009

I RECIEVED ONE TODAY AND CALLED THE NUMBERS THAT WERE ON THE LETTER. ONE NUMBER WAS SOME STATIC NOISE AND THE OTHER IS A FAX MACHINE. ALSO, I DID CALL THE ISSUING BANK, WHICH, BY THE WAY, WAS MONEY GRAM PAYMENT SYSTEMS, INC. IN MINNEAPOLIS, MN. 55480. THEY WOULDN'T OR COULDN'T TELL ME IF THE CHECK WAS LEGIT. THAT TOTALLY AMAZED ME. I PRAY THAT EVERYONE WHO GOT THEIR MONEY STOLEN AND WHO GOT THESE FAKE CHECKS ARE BLESSED FINANCIALLY AND THAT WE ARE RECEIVE A MIRACLE. I ALSO PRAY THAT THIS PERSON IS ARRESTED VERY SOON. THE NAME IS PROBABLY A FAKE ONE ANYWAY.

• Ho
    Honest One Jun 29, 2009

I use the green dot debit card on a regular basis and spend $5.00 - $10.00 in addition to each time I load money on. There should not be a charge for the greendot moneypak and another one monthly for the card itself since they are of 1 company. That alone does not seem right. The letter claimed that the grant was through an affiliate of theirs. I had no reason not to believe it for as often as I have used greendot in such a short period of time. The check itself looked very real and I personally would not know a phony one if I saw it because that is not the way I operate or think. We must find out who Linda Spaulding is because she is like Madoff to a degree jeopardizing people who don't even function in the area of scam because we just don't do it.

Sincerely,

Myra M. Vincent

johngto455ho Jul 01, 2009

Curious

Very good question has anyone cashed it and had problems? The reason I ask is that if you cash it and it is fraud then the bank and cops can go after them for mail fraud to start the list and I am sure it will go way up from there. Just my two cents.

• Mo
    MommaDukes Jul 02, 2009

Dear Fellow Readers,
    I received a check for $955.55 written against US Bank with a promise of receving an additional $9, 044.55. Linda Spaulding, Grant Broker is asking me to cash or deposit the check for $955.55 and send her a commission of 4.01% totaling $401.00 after I purchase a GREENDOT MoneyPak from Rite, Wal-Mart, CVS, K-Mart and other various local and trusted stores. What I am going to send her are the my local authorities; US Postal Service, Attorney General, Police Dept. and my local paper to alert everyone about this deceitful scam. Please do not get SUCKERED in to this scam! Like I tell my daughter "Nothing is free"!

• Am
    am_lawful Jul 03, 2009

My husband received the same check last week

I must say it was pretty tempting to cash this check. however, as I was reading it I noticed many typos and had a gut feeling that this was "too good to be true".

I went into the better business bereau and they do not have anything on this company, that's how you know that this is not legit. Anyhow after searching and all, I filed a complaint (BBB). Hopefully they will be able to find something.

FYI: the fax numbers listed on the letter are located somewhere in the Pasadena and Arcadia area, however, they are unpublished. I wonder why? "FRAUD, FRAUD, FRAUD"

One thing that you can do is take the check to the bank it was issued from and have their Fraud department investigate this. I hope they catch these people, they are taking advantage of innocent people and getting away with it. The more people make this aware and take it up with higher authority the sooner this whole fraud thing will reveal.

I just hope that if anyone else receives this check, they are smart enough to look at this before its too late!

• Wi
    wifey1287 Jul 04, 2009

I recieved the same check a few days ago. very pissed off about it becuase I c ould have really used it.
    glad i found thid site.anyways i tracked down the service providers for both fax #s [protected] whose provider is broadwing communications llc. and [protected] provider name pac-west telecom, inc.you can either call or click on the abuse links on their pages. [protected], [protected] or fax [protected]. they were very willing to help and i was happy to know that someone elese tracked them down too. this was his 40 th call to day about this linda spaulding. iff we all come together we can stop this . it's just not right . im a struggling mother of 3 and i don;t like to be f_ cked with when it come to money.

Tiffany.

• Dp
    dpclawson Jul 09, 2009

Just received my check from Linda Spaulding and she must be getting smarter. All of her typo's have been corrected and the check is no longer blurry. It is still issued from US Bank and would love to see if everybody is getting the same check number, "[protected]". My check was for $808.00 and they requested 4.09% of the grant total of 10, 000.00. I was to send them $409.00 using the GREENDOT MoneyPak system sold in Wal-Mart, CVS and several other places.. Still doesn't include a contact telephone number nor a return address just a fax #[protected] looks like the Feds could get this crook using her fax number.

• Jm
    JMW001 Jul 10, 2009

Just received a check today. Check numbers are different, mine is [protected]. Same deal as everyone else, but spelling has been corrected. Glad to see this site!

• Pa
    Patsy Pruett Jul 10, 2009

I just received a check also. The same information & directions. I am so thankful for this web site. God bless each of you & may He keep us protected.

• Le
    lethallisa69 Jul 23, 2009

I recieved a check 2 and cashed it, now im stuck havin to pay back this money! bein a single mom and no help from the father i thought this would really help me but now it just made things worse. does anyone know wat i can do? i really need help here cuz i spent the money and now hatta pay it back. Please anyone help me if u know wat to do

• Mk
    mk_ Jul 24, 2009

Got one also. No typos, check # [protected]. Ordered to pay commission of 4.055%. This look familiar to anyone?
    mk

• Br
    Brandi M. Jul 25, 2009

I just got the same letter. Geez! This is about the 3rd fraudulent check I've received from some random scam artist trying to get a free ride while I'm struggling to pay for school! Time to report Linda Spaulding or whoever this thief is.

• Af
    AFS42 Jul 26, 2009

Just received a letter similar to those above. Why hasn"t any one gone to the various TV stations who have departments to look into these scams? Here in Massachusetts, both Channels 4 and 5 have such people and do a great job on finding and presenting the truth.
    My first stop tomorrow will be the local Post Office.
    My first phone call will be to Channel 4 WBZ-TV.
    AFS

maquack Jul 28, 2009

Let's all fax a well written hate letter or picture to Linda Spaulding . Or what ever this person really is...If that is how she wanted to recieve her MoneyPak or trace the Merchant ID #5075. I hope the athorities find this person and put her in jail for a long time.

• Cl
    clmontberry Jul 29, 2009

I just received a check for $947.00 and asking me to send back $406.00 and there will be $9053.00 waiting for me. I knew to check the legality of this as I've had checks before arriving trying to get me to cash them and send them back money.

I can smell fradulent a mile away and regardless of how much need I may have at this time especially, I had enough common sense NOT to put an extra burden on myself by doing this.

So BEWARE people and check your sources and hear what others have to say on the very same topic in question. I wish these people could be caught and prosecuted because for every one that didn't take the baist, there's probably two to three who did.

• Go
    Gombeyone Aug 15, 2009

If it looks like a piece of S**T & smells like a piece of S**T...Then guess what folks...Its a SCAM!!! Take the letter to your Post Office & ask for a Postal Inspector to look into it!!! You might get lucky!!

• Ti
    Tina Hammons Aug 19, 2009

You know I received a check from her as well in the amount of $928 and to follow all the instructions and fax her the card information. All I was to send her was $75.00. I as well thought that this money would pay off bills and get creditors off my back.. I kept telling myself that this was a scam and lucky me, I don't have a checking account. I would had to have cashed this at Wal-Mart. It makes me wonder what would have happened if I were to have tried. The good thing about finding everyones stories on this is that I work for the Wal-Mart Home Office and if I would have cashed this fake check I would have gotten terminated for fraud!!! I have 3 children and people like us who are working are pretty lucky to have a job right now with the economy and how bad it is...A big thank you to everyone who left a message on here to warn people about LINDA SPAULDING...How would she feel if something like this would have happened to her???