GameStopblatent lieing to garner sales

X

I went to Gamestop this afternoon to pre order a copy of Mortal Kombat Kollector's Edition. For the PS3.
I was answered with, "We are out of PS3 pre orders, but we have one left on the 360 if you want that one"
When I said no, can you check if any of the other Gamestop stores in the area have a PS3 pre order left.
I was answered with, "It's the same system, if we only have one left so do they"
While this may be true, the following conversation is what aggravated me enough to place this complaint.
I was told, I could Pre Order a regular copy, and that the store may get in some extra Kollector's editions, and I could upgrade to that if I came in and they had them.
I said "No thanks, I'll just order it on Amazon"
At this point, the Gamestop employee, blatently lied to my face about Amazon's company practices. This is what I was told.
"You aren't gauranteed to get one from Amazon either, they don't know how many they will get, and when the shipping day comes, they will RANDOMLY PICK PEOPLE WHO ORDERED IT TO SEND THEM TO, and if they run out you'll just get an email saying they're out of stock"
Now. I am many things, but stupid is not one of them.
I know damn well Amazon knows what stock they have, and if they sold out of pre orders they would know JUST AS WELL as Gamestop that they were out of them.
The fact that this guy blatently lied to me to try and insure a preorder of a normal edition (One I'd be stuck with if they didn't get the version I wanted), angered me enough to write this, and I will not be using that particular Gamestop store again, while this one is only 3 minutes from my house, I'd rather drive an extra 10 minutes to the one in Rockville to not have to deal with a ### like this.

I know Gamestop employees are graded on how many Preorders they get nowadays, and that they are under a lot of pressure to get them.
But blatently lieing to me about another companies practices to try and sell me a version of a game I don't want is beyond ridiculous.

• Ho
    HonorAmongstLies May 27, 2012

I whole heartedly agree... funny thing is, I work at that Gamestop!! I only started about 7 months ago, but this is a rampant problem. In the effort to "get numbers up" we are ordered to barrage customers with unwanted and often useless offers. I choose to have lower numbers and have customers have a better overall experience. The choices that are made to lie and deceive customers is not that of corporate, it is the managers. Corporate expects numbers that are unreasonably high, even with deceit, however it is the implementation, by mainly the assistant manager, that causes customers to walk out unsatisfied and feeling cheated multiple times a day!! In fact, I was refused a cancellation of a preorder I had today because it would cause the assistant manager's personal numbers to go down. Does she not realize that she exists solely because of the customer? DO NOT GO TO ASPEN HILL/SILVER SPRING GAMESTOP!!! You will be lied to, you will be deceived, you will be cheated, and you will leave unhappy.

• Cy
    Cyberxion Jun 30, 2011

You know, if it were just misinformation that would be one thing, but I've heard them blatantly lie to people on so many occasions that it's hard to chalk it up to that. A lot of folks will say that you shouldn't give Gamestop's employees any crap for having to carry out store policy, but when I worked there years ago it was never policy to lie to customers.