Menu

Freelancer.com review: Identity verification

M
Author of the complaint
6:50 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
Replied
The company left an official comment on this complaint.
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On 20th July 2022 I discovered I had to verify my identity when I attempted to withdraw my earnings. However, most of the examples of acceptable ID they list are not available in the UK. A passport is the only one that definitely is. I do not have a passport as I have no intention of travelling outside the UK or RoI so it would just be a waste of 75.50GBP. Every other organization that has needed to check my ID has readily accepted my shotgun licence as proof as it meets all reasonable criteria - Government issued (via the agency of the local police); shows my name, address and date of birth; bears my photograph. Freelancer.com however refuses to accept it. The photograph can be compared with the one on my Freelancer.com profile. As they list "Driver's License" as acceptable ID I thought my UK "Driving Licence" would be acceptable but that was also rejected. A bank statement was accepted as proof of my address, the same address as shown on my driving and shotgun licences. It also shows the account no. that I want to transfer my earnings to, the same account I have previously transferred my earnings to before Freelancer introduced this requirement that one verify one's ID.

I attempted to contact Freelancer via their chat facility on 21st July to explain the problem, but I was just referred to the list of acceptable documents and told to resubmit my "driver's license". I resubmiited my "Driving Licence" but it was rejected again. When I asked to be transferred to a senior member of staff, their operator just told me he had given me all the information I need and promptly ended the chat session. My subsequent emails to attempt to resolve the matter have just been ignored, including one asking for details of their complaints procedure.

As it stands, it looks like I shall have to waste 75.50GBP (and wait a few weeks or longer) to obtain a document I have no other use for. I am not even sure they will accept that as UK passports have recently changed as a result of the UK leaving the EU. Even my email asking whether a new style passport would be acceptable appears to have been ignored.

Update by Mike_FSL
Jul 31, 2022 8:53 am EDT

I've just received another email from them telling me again to upload my driver's license card and not a copy of the license scan on paper. I've already told them at least twice that there is no card part. What I uploaded is a scan of my entire driving licence. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Update by Mike_FSL
Jul 26, 2022 4:41 am EDT

I attempted to reply to your email but it was rejected with the following message -

"Mailbox size limit exceeded [protected]-JRfDtMptio-wxdCgbsQ (in reply to end of DATA command)"

The answer to your question is that it's the same as I use here.

More Freelancer.com complaints & reviews

Freelancer.com - scam via account suspension
The company left an official comment to this complaint.
Freelancer.com - fake projects and identity
The company left an official comment to this complaint.
Freelancer.com - freelancer.com will steal your money
Freelancer.com - account closed, stole my money
Freelancer.com - scam