FreecreditReport.comNo easy way to cancel subscription

H

Freecreditreport.com advertise on the TV about availing the free credit report. True, it's easy to get one--but why do they make it so hard to cancel your membership. They give you 9-days to check out your credit report, and after that you start paying subscription charges. While it's easy to register online and check out your credit report--you can do everything online--you can't cancel your subscription immediately online after checking your credit report. For that--you have to call in to a number and talk to a rep. Why not give the consumer the ability to cancel online immediately? Calling in to a number and all just ends up with several consumers not able to to cancel it and getting charged unnecessarily.

• Nu
    Nugnade Jun 03, 2016

On April 26th i canceled the service - was told they would not pro rate and i had untill May 16th to use service without charge. Went onto website to view my basic credit report - was charged on April 26th for a 3-bureau report. A charge showed on my visa statement on June 2nd - so i called to inquire as to what happened. Supervisor Shelly said that there was nothing they can do. She said i clicked on the advanced report and my card was automaticaly charged $24.95. I did not intend to incure more charges. she offered to take $10 off as refund... I asked for a hard copy of my report and was told this was not possible after 30 days... nothing is free, don't get hooked - i was charged well over $50.

• Mi
    Mikesurf Jun 03, 2016

For those of you who know the stock market, the company is one of those pinksheet penny stock (symbol punk.pk) firms that are pretty notorious for being a bit of a scam. yeah the guy has a business and has some revenue, but he is mostly selling inferior Chinese goods, which is why he has fine print that covers himself regarding quality etc. He also pops up on penny stock promotional sites/fake shows to promote the stock which would be a dud to anyonen who invests in it. he is also attempting to start up one of those totally bogus penny/auction sites which are well known to be total scams.

• Ra
    Rae Downing Feb 07, 2012

t’s not free. But that’s not the issue, I never expect that. The issue is apparently this company manipulates the data they provide in an attempt to keep someone using their services longer than might be necessary then if you terminate their services, they attempt to scare you into returning.

I was fixing my credit and decided to use them to have 24/7 access to my reports and get immediate information about things I was fixing and satisfying. I felt this was a good option to monitor my credit through the home loan approval for me then built so I needed to monitor my credit longer. Getting close to closing, knowing where my credit was and that I was on track, I cancelled my services with freecreditreport.com. That’s when I learned about their underhanded business practices.

I was forced to listen to several minutes of an operating trying to talk me out of my decision. The final carrot was that suddenly the service could be available for a fraction of what they charge. Why don’t they just offer a fair price and be done with it? I stood firm and cancelled. Then, within ten (10) days of cancelling (while I was finishing out the last two weeks of the current billing month), I get my final monthly status E-mail telling me my credit score dropped. I go through the links on the E-mail and it is now showing my short has dropped to below what I need for my final approval on my mortgage. I, as you can expect freaked out and immediately made a phone call to my realtor because I had to fix this problem.

After talking me down from the wall, my agent checked with my lender and they independently ran my credit to see what was going on. The fact I’m suddenly told my credit score dropped drastically was illogical under the circumstances since everything I had done was positive and it was impossible it could have dropped.

Well, not only had my credit score not dropped but it was a full 60 points higher than the freecreditreport.com was claiming. Not only that but after reviewing all the E-mails from freecreditreport.com and comparing it against what my lender pulled, my credit score was consistently 20 to 40 points higher than anything freecreditreport.com was telling me it was including where I really was when I started and where freecreditreport.com was telling me I was.

Since this occurred over an eight month period of time, I do not think it is a mistake on anyone’s part that freecreditreport.com was deliberately giving me information that my credit score was lower than it was so I would continue believing I needed to monitor it but that they also want people to have something happen that scares then into returning. They want them to get that report telling them all their hard work was for nothing so they think “OMG, I have to keep monitoring my credit because something bad happened.”

Stay away from this company.

noone9999 Jun 29, 2011

An actual FREE credit report (no signup or sneaky charges!) can be gotten (from all 3 credit bureaus) at :

ANNUALCREDITREPORT.COM

It is truly free and you can get a free credit report once a year.

• Li
    LizzyDrazzy Jun 29, 2011

I went to this website for a "free" credit report, I wonder why I thought I could get a "free" credit report at FREEcreditreport.com lol Anyways to see the actual credit score I had to enter my credit card info and pay a small fee. when I completed this transaction apparently a the fine print stated that if I did not call and cancel I would be automatically signed up for membership witha monthly fee of $14.95, which I didnt notice for several months. It seems that if there is any other charge for what you originally are signing up for that there should be a fail safe check-box, not sneaky little fine print. Are there any laws regulating this? I called them today and was canceled and refunded only one month dues.

• Rl
    rlp3682 Apr 05, 2011

I registered with website to get my credit report, which was listed for $1.00 if memebership was canceled within 7 days. I canceled my membership, but noticed that I was still carged $29.95. When I called, they told me that the $1.00 was only for viewing one report, but when you go through the process, you are guided directly to the three report and have to unclick it if you don't want to be charged. I further complained how shady this was and the customer service rep talked with supervisor and told me she could get $15.00 of charge removed as a courtesy. I complained further and asked to speak to that supervisor and she took off the charge.

DON'T visit this website. They are shady and try to charge you. They are hoping you don't see the charge.

SHADY SHADY SHADY!!!

Josh8541 Oct 13, 2010

I had the exact same issue but in my case there was over a 60 point difference. After my divorce I was doing everything I could to rebuild my credit. I religiously monitored my credit and paid almost everything off. My Credit score stated that it was high enough to go ahead and purchase a house. I went through the process and there was over a 60 point difference. I started doing some homework and found that i'm not the only one and that freeannualreports.com Gives you a real score along with liable links to show you what you true credit score is. I now use equifax which gives me my real score that I checked against freecreditreport.com and its still over 60 points highter then my actual score along with on equifax they have online disbutes set up for all 3 credit bureus.

• Do
    Donna Mongrain Oct 11, 2010

My name is Donna Mongrain. I signed up with Freecreditreport.com for a Free report. I cannot find a way to cancel. The site said I would be charged monthly only if I checked the other credit reports offered. I never did. Yet I've been charged several months.I want a refund and service stopped!

Donna Mongrain
    9591 Tryon Street
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA [protected]

• Tl
    TLC1378 Apr 03, 2010

We have also had the same problem...and it is not a time related problem. Freecreditreport.com is reporting my fiance's score at 100 points higher than the mortgage company, as well as other online credit score companies! We are not happy.

• Bo
    Bobby Mar 17, 2010

I obtained my "free credit report" and all three scores from this site and all are completley wrong. The only reason I found out was b/c I am purchasing a home and the mortgage company obtained my credit report as well and my score was 37 points LOWER than the score I was given through Free Credit Report.com. The mortgage company pulled it from Experian, which should have been the same as mine...I pulled it from all three major bureau's and all three were 20-37 points off. Why in the world would this be wrong???

jacksprat34 Feb 02, 2010

FreeCreditReport.com or CreditReport.com operates in a manner that skirts within the width of a nose hair of illegal. You can only cancel by phoning a number [protected]. That number is engaged 99.999% of the time. Instruct your bank to block any payments to them.

• Ci
    Cindy L Brinker Feb 02, 2010

I had went onto this freecreditreport.com with the idea that it did not cost me anything. I thought I had read that if I want t keep it after so many days that they would be charging me for the upkeep. I just now thought that I was canceling the upkeep and found out from my bank institution that they were trying to take $24.95 out of my account, and that it was pending which would be charged probably this evening.

Cindy L. Brinker

• Je
    Jennifer B... Jan 27, 2010

My husband recently wanted to purchase a vehicle and wrapped in a loan for a "dead horse" on which he had some remaining payments. The first dealership he visited resulted in his receiving many denial letters from just about every bank in the area (after he got a car from a second dealership!?) After the sixth rejection letter arrived, I had my husband pull a copy of his credit report. After seeing all the commercials we decided to get a copy from Freecreditreport.com. We paid for the 3-in-1 report to be sure we got all the information available to us. He signed up a week ago using my email address as that's where all the online bills and such are sent. Within 2 days my spam box went from 2 mails per day to about 30!! The reason I know it was this company who sold my email address is that many of these new spam messages are titled "Joel" instead of "Jennifer." Do NOT give this company your main email address! I'd suggest you set up a junk freebie mail address if you must utilize their services.

• Cu
    Cujo II Nov 19, 2009

My credit card was automatically charged $14.95 on the date I joined
    (10/13/09) I canceled within the 7 days trial membership trial period
    (10/15/09).When I called to cancel I was gived a cancellation # and
    promised a refund which never occurred.To add insult to injury I could
    not get Master Card to reverse the charges.In my view this is false
    advertising and fraud.Rather that beating myself up with it, I will not
    fall for something like this again plus Master Card has lost a customer
    over $14.95.I did, however, file a complaint with the BBB, FTC and
    express my feelings here.Good Day !

• Ho
    HotinVAUS Oct 03, 2009

LOL! They are a rip off too! Ain't nothing free about freecreditreport.com!

• Th
    THEitGIRL Oct 03, 2009

stop complaining so much!!! if you dont want to see them unplug the damn tv. geez! not every1 lives in pleasantville like you

• La
    Laura Sayler Sep 10, 2009

Hi, my name is Laura and I am an analyst at Balestriere Lanza, a trials and investigations law firm in New York. I saw your post on expressing a desire to be contacted if any potential class action law suits against Free Credit Report were in the works. Our firm has been investigating Free Credit Report's potential misconduct for several months and would be interested in hearing more from you about your experience. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience at [email protected] or at [protected] x 133.

• Jh
    jholmes77 Sep 08, 2009

My husband canceled his account twice with freecreditreport.com. The first cancellation did not go through which resulted in overdraft fees to our account. He cancelled a second time. The representative assured my husband the service has been canceled. He went on the website to make sure it had been canceled. Two days later, there was a charge on our account for $26.51. He called again and they stated when he went on he had ordered the 3 reports. There is no way he ordered that product. He spoke with Violet and when he told her that transaction wasn't authorized and therefore is fraudalent, she said "File a police report." Needless to say, we received no refund, were told to fax a letter, and to file a police report.

• Ve
    VegasDealer Aug 21, 2009

Here is your recourse. If you have not done so already cancel the service. To do this you need to CALL them. Make sure you get the name(operator number) of the person you are talking to, the date and time you called. Get them to send you a confirmation e-mail that says you did cancel.

Let them know you want to cancel. They will attempt to keep you enrolled by offering you special deals. Just keep repeating "NO..I want to cancel". After about 3 or 4 times they will figure it out.

Then use this as a learning experience. In that you should never give anyone your credit card or sign anything until you read and understand EVERYTHING.

• Me
    Melissa L Aug 21, 2009

FreeCreditReport.com is NOT a scam! If you took the time to read what you were signing up for then you would have seen that they automatically enroll you. It's your own fault for not reading the site and info available first! Don't blame a company for your mistake.

• I requested my free annual credit report from the web site freecreditreport.com. I had to enter a credit card number to receive my 'free' credit report. This month I noticed a charge of $14.95 on my credit card bill. I inquired and learned that I was automatically entered into a subscription service and that I had to take action myself to cancel the service and that I had to do it with 7 days. I did not request nor did I order this service. This is a SCAM and a FRUAD in taking advantage of the free credit report offere. I cannot believe freecreditreport.com is allowed to continue to take peoples monies. What is going on?????

I cannot get back my $14.95. What recourse do I have? Who are these people??

ChristyL Jul 16, 2009

TOTAL SCAM!!! This company charged my credit card (unauthorized) three times in three days. They had the nerve to obtain my checking account number and charged me another $14.95. That is four charges in less than seven days. I cannot get through to anyone via phone and have had to cancel my credit card and establish a new savings account. THEY ARE TOTALLY BOGUS!!!

• St
    Steve D. Jun 18, 2009

I wish that the President and all of the CEO's were all locked in a room and forced to watch and listen to these stupid commercials 24/7 for a solid month. Thanks Steve D.

• Da
    David Calman Jun 02, 2009

You will have to pay $160+/mo. after 1 month. See, this is one of Experian's tricks. If you want your free credit report, go to annualcreditreport.com.

• St
    stigmata May 26, 2009

You said it!

• Lo
    louise neuner May 25, 2009

AFTER RECEIVING MY CREDIT REPORT, WHICH I PRINTED, ON 5/20//09. I AM CONCERNED AS TO HOW I DO NOT GET MONTHLY CHARGES ON MY CREDIT CARD. WOULD APPRECIATE AN ANSWER.THANK YOU!

• Lo
    louise neuner May 25, 2009

AFTER RECEIVING MY CREDIT REPORT . I WAS TOLD TO CANCEL BEFORE 30 DAYS OF MY 5/20/09 MEMBERSHIP . MY PRINTER DID NOT SHOW A TEL# FOR ME TO CONTACT. NEED INFO!

• Ha
    hanzi88 May 20, 2009

Don't get fooled by that jingle on TV. Well, I can only say I'm a sucker for it. When you sign up for the so-called free credit report on their web site, they will start to bill you after that if you did not realize the fine print. I think lots of people have fallen to this ploy and they have been sued by the FTC before. Read it here at http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2017/08/consumerinfo.shtm. In there it says :

It deceptively marketed “free credit reports” by not adequately disclosing that consumers automatically would be signed up for a credit report monitoring service and charged $79.95 if they didn’t cancel within 30 days, in violation of federal law.

According to the FTC’s complaint, Consumerinfo’s advertising and Web sites failed to explain adequately that after the free trial period for the credit monitoring service expired, consumers automatically would be charged a $79.95 annual membership, unless they notified the defendant within 30 days to cancel the service. Consumerinfo billed the credit cards that it had told consumers were “required only to establish your account, ” and, in some cases, automatically renewed memberships by re-billing consumers without notice. The FTC charged that the defendant’s failure to adequately disclose the automatic billing and to get consumers’ consent to bill their accounts violated federal law.

If you're like me, send a complaint to FTC here at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/. Or get in touch with your state attorney general or the state banking commission if your credit card company refuses to dispute these unauthorized charges. If you need a credit report, get it here http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt156.shtm. Also organizations like the BBB nowadays is not a good source of trust nowadays as it makes money from subscriptions from companies and there is a potential conflict of interest and they have no authority to deal with situations like these unlike the FTC.

samiegurl520 Apr 16, 2009

Freecreditreport.com is nothing but a scam. They advertise a free credit report. but that is os not the issue with this company. they made an unauthorized charge to my credit card for credit reports that i have never even seen. When i called to get a refund they told me i had to fax a letter to the ther Customer Relations. What company makes you fax a letter for a refund. When i asked to Talk with someone to get a refund i found out there is not such person available ( how convient). THe supervisor i talked with was rude and very inconsistant with his answere and kept condradicting himself. Please be very careful with this company. They are nothing but a SCAM

John1973 Apr 16, 2009

I am so sick of the FreeCreditReport.com commercials. Not only is that idiot singer and his band bad enough to make you want to put your fist through the TV, but we have to be assaulted by the message that your entire life revolves around your credit and if you don't use their services, you will end up being a pathetic loser like the actor portrays. Insulting!
    On top of that, I guess the company loves to rub salt in the wound by running these ads endlessly on every channel. I counted 20, count 'em, 20 times those ads ran on only one channel in one day.
    All I wanted to do was watch CSI Miami and just about every commercial break I was greeted with that grinning ### as I fumbled for the remote in an attempt to save myself from the lunacy.

Matt Apr 07, 2009

You cancel by calling the 1800 number, they try to real you back though, but just keep saying no and they'll cancel you.

Jameel Baskett Mar 11, 2009

I signed up for the free credit report program in the month of October and was charge $31.65 on the 28th for that month. On November 10 I was also charged $31.65. After that transaction I decided to cancel my membership so I called them to cancel it. The lady on the phone said that everything was taken care of. When December 9 rolled around that was a charge for $31.65, I immediately called them and take to another lady and she had the funds returned to my account on December 10. She also made sure that my membership had been cancel and said that I no longer had a membership. In the month of January that was no charge from the company so I took that as everything was ok. In the month of February on the 18, I was again charge the total of $31.65. I called my bank and ask them about it and they said that freecreditreport.com had took those funds out of my account and that I needed to contact them for a refund. Now I am here wondering if I will get my funds back into my account even after I had canceled my membership back in November.

• Cy
    Cynthia Nelson Nov 15, 2008

On 10-29-08, I received a notice from my bank that freecredit report.com had my bank create an echeck for $6.98 implying that I signed up for their service. The bank paid this which put my acct in the hole $1.82 thus creating a fee to me for $32.00 for NSF. I NEVER signed up with freecreditreport .com. All I had done was apply for a pay day loan and had answered "NO" to ALL the deceptive, criminal spam pop ups. I have followed ALL their requirements for a refund (2 x's) and to date have not heard from them. I also DEMANDED they reimburse me for the $32.00 NSF fee because of their deception. I'm NOT holding my breath to receive ANY money baxk from them. Thanks, Cindy Nelson

• Be
    Becca Nov 04, 2008

You have to talk to a rep because it's a business, and the reps are salesmen. Really, who doesn't have a phone? Or a neighbor with a phone? Or .50 to use a payphone?

Cancelling is not hard. For anyone who is having difficulties, this link should help:

Janine Oct 15, 2008

PrivacyMatters, PrivacyMattersIdentity, PrivacyMatters1, 2, 3, 24ProtectPlus, CIC Triple Advantage, and YourSavingsClub are just a few of the credit agencies that went into my bank account and withdrew money without my knowledge or permission When I contacted them and asked how they had gotten ahold of my information, they told me they had gotten it through FREECREDITREPORT.com! It is not "free, " neither are the other agencies who take your money without your permission. I had to fight to get my money back, but I did. Now, a week later, my bank who is monitoring my account, called to inform me that seven OTHER companies have also done it. I made a bad choice, PLEASE don't be stupid like me!

• Ro
    robert rodgerson Oct 11, 2008

My refund to my account of 29.98.I have my credit report through another co.why would i want it twice I canceled it confermation#1281102

• Ni
    Nick Oct 06, 2008

If you sign up, get your credit report, and then cancel before you are charged, you are not a customer. So, they don't feel bad for someone getting charged that is just trying to abuse the freeness.

• Da
    david Aug 08, 2008

I TOO GOT SCREWED. I HIT THE BUTTON GET STARTED AND FAILED TO REALIZE THAT ON THE SAME PAGE IN SMALL PRINT OTHER GUIDELINES AND COSTS. ONCE YOU CLICK GET STARTED YOU WILL NOT SEE ANYTHING ABOUT COSTS ETC. I CONTACTED THE ATTORNEY GENERAL IN RHODE ISLAND AND THEY COULD DO NOTHING ABOUT IT. IT COST ME IN ADDITION, A COST FOR TRIPLE ADVANTAGE SERVICES. I LOST ABOUT $400 ON THIS SCAM. VERY MISLEADING AD. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE ABOUT THIS SCAM. VERY CLEVER AD. BEWARE. I WILL FIND A WAY TO WRITE IT OFF. LOL

• Valerie Jul 17, 2008

I went to freecreditreport.com to see my supposedly free credit report. Before I could even get close to my "free" report I had to enroll, with my credit card for a $14.95 a month service. Before I went further I found the number to cancel the service, intending to get the information and cancel a service I don't want. I got my report, then called to cancel.

That's when the hell started. I called and requested cancellation, they want to know why, which I explained. Then they push the service, I declined. They push an alternative service, I declined and asked to just cancel, please. Then they pushed another service and variations on all the others, shorter terms, blah, blah, blah. I just kept saying no, and she kept asking why I wouldn't want this "protection." At no time did she say my service was cancelled. She harrassed me until I was in tears. I begged her to just cancel my service, I don't want it, and it doesn't say anywhere on the ads with the cute kid that free means you have to buy something.

She told me I didn't have to get *angry* (angry? how is crying from harrasment anger?)and finally said she would process my cancellation. I did get an email confirming my cancellation.

These people are parasites. The rules say we are entitled to a free credit report, so they use it for an opportunity to do legal "phishing."

### sucking bottom feeders.

• Dw
    Dwight Armitage Jul 01, 2008

7-1-08
    Today I sent an E-mail to [email protected] regarding the recent billings and cancellation of my account as follows:

In March of this year, I requested a credit report and was billed for it on my AMEX account (closing date 3-18-08) which was paid 3-25-08. Believing that was the only bill I would receive, and not receiving a bill from AMEX in April, I was shocked to see on My May AMEX bill, received approx. 5-22-08, another charge from you was entered 4-18-08. On 5-27-08, I called [protected], talked to "DEREK" and received a Cancellation Confirmation No. [protected] indicating my account was to be closed and when I asked for a credit for the current bill he said he could not authorize it an transferred me to "Jessica Showers" who after considerable conversation agreed to issue the credit.

Then my June bill from AMEX (closing date 6-17-08) another charge for $11.95 dated 5-18-08 was entered on my bill along with the previously mentioned credit. After I had made it very understandable to "Jessica" that did not expect to be billed further, I was again shocked so I called today to same number and taled with "Michelle" and asked for the credit for the 5-18-08 charge. After several minutes and her continuous refusal because "the system would allow only one courtesy credit", I asked to speak to her superior and she told me there was no other person to whom I could talk about this matter. I will admit and your recording while confirm that I became very disturbed by her responses to my request, so much that my wife picked up the other phone and continue to request a solution. At that time we were asked to hold and were put on hold for approximately 15-20 minutes while the music played and then the phone was disconnected on your end.

All this was brought on by the delays in your billings to AMEX so that several months were involved in this dispute. I HEREBY REQUEST THE CREDIT BE ISSUED BY YOU TO MY AMEX ACCOUNT!!!

Please confirm this will be done