Free Credit Report 360Fraud

On august 18th, 2009, i was seeking out a way to obtain a free copy of my credit report and credit score. I googled "free credit reports" and many sites were available. One of the sites i clicked on was free credit report 360. I filled out the information requested of me, such as name, address, and so on. . . , then click "continue". The next page i came to was a page asking for my credit / debit card information, which i filled out because there was a free trial offer for my credit health, however, my card would not be charged for 7 days, but i had to cancel the free trial offer prior to the 7th day. There was also a warning telling me that my credit card information would not be used at that time, but was required to establish my account. I was a bit leary about giving my credit card information, so i did a "print screen" and pasted a copy of that screen with it's warning (Thank god) to ms paint. I hadn't given any authorization to use my card info. Yet. The next screen i came to gave me an membership number and then gave me the option to "continue" so i could receive a copy of my credit report (This page i printed) . Before i clicked on "continue" i thought i should perhaps check out a couple of other sites before proceeding. While doing so i came to annualcreditreport.com which offered me access to all three major credit reporting agencies with no free trials, or possible charges to my credit card. There wasn't even any requests for my credit card information. Since i chose to go this route, i closed out the previous window to free credit report 360, and contiued with the other site and received free copies of my credit report from all three major agencies. Ten days later i received a nsf card in the mail from my bank. Stunded with disbelief, i quickly pulled up my bank account online only to find that my credit health had taken $29. 95 out of my account without my authorization. . . As i stated before, i didn't even continue with that first website, i closed it, however, i didn't delete my credit card information prior to doing so. I just assumed by "x - ing" out of the site, my personal information would automatically be deleted. Boy was i wrong! Not only was i charged $29. 95 to my account, it happened to be that time of the month when my account was low, so i ended up with $179 in overdraft fees. Since then i have found many websites accusing free credit report 360 and my credit health of scamming many people such as myself. Don't be scammed by either of these companies. For those of you who don't know. . . You can obtain a free copy of your credit report from all three major credit reporting agencies once a year.

Katie Drum Jan 23, 2007

I canceled the freecreditreport.com service 3 different times but continued to be charge for this CIC Triple Advantage service. After finding out that CIC Triple Advantage was the same thing as freecreditreport.com, I called once again to have this service cancel and to get my money back. Can they legally do this?? Is there anything that can be done to make hold this company responsible for ripping off consumers... Plz advise smb!

Janice Blackmer Feb 22, 2007

I ordered this for one month it has now been 6 months of a 12.00 debit and it needs to stop. I do not use this service and it stopped NOW. I will contact my bank today and see what they can do. I can't afford the amount every month...

• Da
    Dalela Mosa Mar 16, 2007

They took all the information they needed, and said that are sorry they could not process my credit report. Then i blocked the payment right away and this is what you should do. call your credit card company and cancel your card immediately then the company will issue you a new card!

• Re
    Rebekah Andrews Apr 11, 2007

I had looked into the website 3 months ago and did not put my bank information down. It said it was free. I just received a charge on my account from them. This is not a free service and it still is going to take up to 2 weeks to refund my money. These people needs to be stopped.

• Mz
    Mz BB Apr 26, 2007

I spoke with Mel a rep. for CIC and she stared to me that I signed up for this service in Jan. 06 and have not used this service since Nov. 06. She stated also that she will stop the service but will not issue a refund. I informed her that I have not used this service as I had tried in the past to cancel the service. She mentioned that I have unviewed alerts in my account which are due from failure to notify the customer of service still in effect.

I am disputing these charges and would like to receive a refund in the amount of 51.80, which includes Jan 07 to date April 26 07. Service has been for one year, however not to my knowledge.

• Rh
    R Houlton Apr 27, 2007

I was just going over my bank statements and noticed that for the last x months I have been getting charged 12.95/month for something I have, no clue what it is. It just shows on my bank statement CIC Triple Advantage. I don't not want this service and want the billing stopped and the money to be refunded.

• De
    Dennis Dahne Apr 28, 2007

CIC has been charging my account for months since I had pulled up a "free" credit report. I finally found there # on the internet along with countless other complaints about the same thing. I have been charged $12.95 every month from December until now (April) I called this company and explained the situation and requested to be canceled and reimbursed. I was told that they could cancel the account but I had signed up for it with a free 30 trial membership which I did not cancel within that 30 days. She told me that the membership offered me such benefits as account monitoring and notification of any major changes. When I explained that I just wanted to cancel she stated " Are you sure, because I see here that there have been several major changes to your account that you may want to be aware of?" Several major changes? I was never notified of any.

Class Action - Count me in.

• Vi
    Vivek Durairaj Apr 30, 2007

I never got the membership of CIC Triple advantage but i have been charged an amount of 12$ every month for the past one year which i noticed only today.

• Ju
    Justin Ryan May 01, 2007

I ordered a free credit report online about a month or two ago. This month I received a $12.95 bill on my credit card statement for CIC Triple Advantage. I had no idea what this even was. I called the number listed on the statement and I was on hold for 20 minutes. Someone actually picked up the phone. I asked who they were and what they were about. They told me when I had my free credit report done there was a disclaimer that stated that if i didn't cancel within 30 days they would charge me. I never recalled reading any disclaimer. When I asked that she cancel my subscription the woman told me that she couldn't do it and she placed me on hold for another 25 minutes. Finally I got someone back on the phone and they stated that they cancelled my subscription and they would be sending me confirmation via email. Just in case I took the womans name down and her ID #. I really think that this company places you on hold for an extended period of time hoping that you will give up and hang up the phone. This company is a scam artist and I would be more than happy to be involved in a class action lawsuit against these predators of the internet.

• Da
    Dave Triska May 02, 2007

Yes just like many others I started receiving charges every month on my credit card for $12.95 I called the phone number and after being switched to another division of the company several times they finally said they would stop billing me. But the refused to refund any of the charges that had already been paid, I guess if you scam enough people for $12.95 then you can afford really good attorneys to keep your ### out of jail, huh... This company needs very bad things to happen to it.

• Yo
    Yolanda Yvette Butler May 02, 2007

I could never get anyone on the phone to cancel this service that i never asked for. I finally had to call my bank to cancel my card.

Katherine L. May 03, 2007

I have been charged 12.00 a month and was unable to access a free credit report.

Andrea Evans May 03, 2007

I too have been scammed by the free credit report. Usually, when I sign up for a "free" gift I don't give any credit card information just in case I accidentally sign up for something. I only looked at one credit report (not 3 for the triple advantage), and I was really sure that I didn't sign up for any subscription. I went to the CIC triple advantage web page to try to cancel anything. I didn't write down a login or pass word because I didn't sign up for anything, so I tried to login using the usuals, and it didn't work. I went to login help, and they ask for SS# and you have to type that in before you can get any help. I tried the "contact us" at the bottom of the page and the e-mail won't send. The phone number on my credit card statement isn't even toll free.

I know I was probably going to run into some thing like this with all the news letters I sign up for, but most scams have a point where you can recognize it as a scam and quit before it's too late. This is not one of them.

• Th
    Thomas Prough May 05, 2007

Starting on March 12, 2007, I started to receive a credit charge of 12.95 per month from your company. Since I did not authorize this payment, I cannot help but wonder who initiated this charge. I have been a victim of identity theft / harassment scheme for over 7 months and need to discover its source. Please contact me promptly with the name and or method by which this payment was authorized. I need this information so that I can turn it over to the Postal Inspector, Ron McMurray ,who is working this case. Please cancel all unauthorized charges.

• Pa
    Pam Thill May 07, 2007

I just called the number. I was refunded two months worth, but discovered I have been charged for this for over two years! I bank online and don't get paper copies of many of my bills (which will now definitely change). I was given the address to ask for the rest to be refunded, which would be a whopping 310.80. I am wondering if anyone has received any money back other than the two month refund? Well, I cancelled my membership and learned an expensive lesson.

Chad Duhai May 08, 2007

have been being charged for twelve dollars a month for over a year and never received any services. They said it was a 30 day trial, but I never give out my credit card for anything on the internet. When calling them one lady lied to me and hung up on me so when cancelling services from them it is a bit difficult.

• Le
    Len Panaggio May 11, 2007

I think this stems from getting my "free" credit report, then after a time period, this kicks in without warning.

Jake S May 11, 2007

I signed up for triple advantage credit card report through (freecreditreport.com) after watching several commercials on TV. I signed up for the free trial and forgot about the trial. Well it recurred 1 month and I got charged for 1 month of, $12.95. No biggie I tried to cancel the account by calling 877-4816825, and according to the rep, the account was canceled. Well after couple months later, I realized it never got cancelled! I call the same number 877-4816825 but it was always busy or gave me message saying there was no one there. I managed to get the number of the parent company, consumer info of 1-888-888-8553. According to the rep of this number, I did call the previous rep before, but I never cancelled the account. She said according to the record, I wanted to continue the service. What the hell!? why would i call the rep just to say I want to continue the service??? Well this time she assured the account is cancel and she even gave me a reference number, and said I will get a confirmation email. Overall I got charged 12.95 five times for getting to view my "free credit report" once.

• Je
    Jeanette V. Hamilton May 12, 2007

They are debiting my bank account for services I never ordered.

Also, the same is happening with Reservation Reward, Shopper Discount. Passport of Fun, Shopping Essentials, & Savingsmart.

sandra d. knudsen May 16, 2007

Today 5/16. I filled out the site for a free credit report, 30 day trial and get all 3 reports and score. After i put in my cc# and information i submitted it. All i received was a statement "unable to process your request. For further assistance email us [email protected] Which i did. Its the end of the day, never received an email from them or telling me what was wrong and if i was going to get my report or not. They have my c card #. Now i am afraid they will charge me and i will never get my reports, scores and end up fighting to get a credit back.

angilund May 16, 2007

This company has some how, I don't even know how, been taking money out of my account. How this could happen by getting a credit report is crazy. This company should be stopped. I never gave them my credit card # or agreed to these charges!

• Ge
    Georges Karam May 16, 2007

CIC Triple Advantage - SCAM!!! Never authorized any payment (for sure I did authorize it by clicking I agree button) They r doing in a legal way where somewhere in the 2 pages agreement (where font size is <8) they included a charge notice! Very smart! OHH hold on that's what scammers do! Scammers and in a a legal way? Shame!

Christine May 18, 2007

I've read most of the complaints on this message board and I concur. I just got off the phone with Nicole at 1-877-481-6825. She said that if you don't cancel your "account" within 30 days, you get charged $12.95 per month. I had some very choice words to say about their policy and false advertising and subsequently got her to agree to cancel my "account" and refund my credit card for the past two months. She said it would reflect on my credit card in 7 - 10 days. What a scam!

• Ju
    Juan Baena May 18, 2007

With their free credit report scam, I unfortunately tried their option to look at your free credit report. However, I never signed up for any service. As I come to find out, they have been charging my card for the past couple of months two charges of $12 each every month. I am trying to get in touch with them, but every time there is a different context, either they are closed or put you on hold.

• Am
    Amie Scull May 19, 2007

I'm being charged $12 a month by this company that I never signed up for! It was part of a mortgage calculation web site that offered me the ability to view my credit score for "free". Then all of the sudden these charges started showing up on my bank statement. I have no idea how they got permission to start billing me monthly, nor do I know what it is for to even take advantage of the service I am being billed for! Stay away from any offer to view your credit score for free - they're all scams!!!

norman l smith May 20, 2007

My complaint is basically the same as the others that I've read about CIC*Triple Advantage. After simply exploring the product on the internet I noticed (months later) A bill for 12.95 from them on my visa card, of which they unfortunately have access of everyones. I called ,and cancelled the bogus service, at which time they promised to send me at lease one credit report, on line or in the mail, I received neither. But I have received three more charges on my account. When I call them they put a person on that barely speaks english, but they, after much coaxing, say they will stop the charges. WELL I JUST GOT ANOTHER CHARGE ON MY ACCOUNT!!! NORM SMITH

• Te
    Teresa Gillis May 20, 2007

I have been charged on my bank account $14.95 I no longer want these services but can not contact a person to do so. I have tried by phone numerous times.

• Ji
    Jim Bob May 21, 2007

This was exactly what I was looking for. I am getting Charged 12 bucks for something I never Had ANYTHING to do with. Mine came from "Free" Credit Report, never been to the site because I use another Credit reporting agency for MUCH cheaper and its got more Security. www.mycreditinform.com Anyway, I had to call the bank to block payment, and I am filing fraud forms. On top of that I can't reach a human to cancel the account I never created, I am e-mailing and Snail mailing the company and if I am not refunded then my Layer and I are taking legal action:) So in Short; Call your bank, file a stop payment and call, e-mail, and snail mail the company if you don't want this to happen anymore:)

• De
    Dennis Hughes May 21, 2007

I have the same problem with this company. My wife and I just realized that we were being charged every month for the past several month the $12 fee. First, we signed up for the "free credit report". Then, we got our credit scores and cancelled within the time period they gave to avoid a monthly charge. We are still being charged the $12 and we cannot get on their website nor can we talk to anyone on the phone.

• He
    Heather L. Berryman May 22, 2007

I have been charged $12.95 per month for several months from CIC Triple Advantage. I NEVER authorized these charges, and I cannot seem to get them stopped. They have caused my bank account to become overdrawn more than once.

• Be
    Betty Romani May 26, 2007

Thought I was getting my annual credit report but instead I stepped knee-deep into this do-do. They are just awful. I really don't remember giving them my credit card number in February, 2007 to pay for this "service". Maybe I did. My main complaint is trying to cancel. I personally called them the first week of May and their representative wouldn't cancel, saying this service period had already started and why not enjoy getting my credit report, arguing her point, and never canceling my service at that time. I said okay and I will call the end of May to cancel for June. I called May 20th and canceled. My visa bill came today, May 26th, and you guessed it, another charge. So I called today, May 26th, and asked them to remove this charge. I was challenged again and when I asked to speak to the Supervisor, my request to cancel this "service" was granted.

It's kind of frightening because their website reads "freecreditreport.com from experian". Are they related to the credit agencies? If so, no wonder there is a free annual report so people can double check for mistakes. Truly, a friend of mine checked her credit report and found 75% of the information was for another person who had lousy credit. She was very upset.

I've learned be much more vigilant and assertive about my Visa charges and credit report. I hope this helps someone else.

• Ki
    Kimberly Snook May 27, 2007

I just discovered that I am being charged 12.95 a month and I would like to know how to stop the charges. I have not authorized these charges and I am very distressed about this. Can someone help me?

• Lu
    Lubby Willis May 28, 2007

I must agree on the fact that they do everything possible for you not to cancel your subscription. I called and I was asked to "use and enjoy the free trial to my full advantage", I was offered alternatives, and everything else under the sun. I was asked why I wanted to cancel, and was lectured as to why I should not cancel. I just stood my ground and made it clear that I no longer needed the services and I needed to cancel. Just keep in mind that these people are just doing their job, it is nothing personal, but remember who's pocket the $12 is coming out of every month when the free trial is up. If you don't back down and accept no offers they make you, they will cancel your subscription.

• Sy
    Sylvia King May 29, 2007

I repeatedly call to cancel and the charges are never canceled and I receive any service. The credit card company says that only the merchant can cancel.

• Je
    Jennifer Nicole Cruz May 29, 2007

I Jennifer Cruz have been scammed by the Free Credit Report Co. I used this site for the free one time report and did not authorize anything else. Turns out they have been charging my credit card for a while now. When I try to get a hold of someone on the phone, I'm put on hold for 30 minutes and then the call is hung up each time. This is ridiculous, I want my account that I was unaware of canceled. I'm going to take action with my credit card co. to get my money back.

Kathryn Dins May 29, 2007

Last month an unsolicited charge from CIC Triple Advantage appeared on my credit card statement, this month I received another one. When I called my credit card company about it -- no one at CIC picked up when I called them -- my card company's credit manager told me they frequently get complaints about CIC's practices, and there seems to be several sites out there warning and complaining about this company. Apparently there's some small print or a small box to check on their "free" credit report site. Anyway, I feel it is inappropriate and in bad taste for this website to run Google ads for CIC Triple Advantage - unless, of course, this site is run by CIC.

• Os
    Oscar Paul Mayo III May 31, 2007

I was recently charged to my bank account the amount of 12.97 for a credit report that was already charged months ago. This charge has caused my bank account to become overdrawn. As you are not at fault for the overdraft, I do not expect compensation for such.

However, I would like these charges to stop and the immediate reversal of said charge. Prompt action would be greatly appreciated.

Oscar P. Mayo III.

• Ba
    Basilio Salinas May 31, 2007

I have been charged $12.95 today and I need to know what this is all about. I never authorized that withdraw.

• Gu
    Guenevere Mead Jun 01, 2007

I bought the credit report and siz months after I did so this company started charging me 12.95 a month for the service 6 months after I bought the credit report!

• Be
    Betty Tufares Jun 01, 2007

We wanted the Free Credit Report. According to them, we could cancel ant time Before 30 days. That was done. but I'm still getting charged $12.00 a month for the last two month. I want this stopped now!!! What a rip off..

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices