Free Charity CarsInteresting perspective

B

Im not saying that FCC is good or bad, here's just what happened when i tried to help a deserving family by donating a 2000 Durango that my family no longer used.A few weeks after donating the Durango, that was in great shape, 127k miles, some paint scratches and such as it was a vehicle our kids used till they went off to collage, but since i own a used car lot, i had it totally went over by my mechanic and it got a tune up and ran great.. i found out that INSTEAD of going to a needy family whom could sure use it, it was going to be sold at auction to help "cover administration costs" what in the world was that all about?? i totally understand they have fees and such to run their charity but they are taking vehicles from needy folks to cover their bills..then i was shocked at how few cars are actually given out to needy people, most are deemed not up to par and sold. Id love to see a statement of just how many vehicles are donated, how many actually go out verses how many are sold at auctions..im sure they get many that have issues and cant be gifted, but they received over 3 million in donations, cant they afford to fix some up so people dont continue to suffer without a car?? i talked to several other people who donated after i did some deeper digging and many were very disgusted that the vehicles they donated to the needy didnt make it anywhere farther then an auction and that the real reason donations are down is because people feel defrauded because they are trying to help out but only feel used by FCC..they seldom deliver a vehicle..most are sold..Many of us would love to see the paperwork on just how many are given to people verses sold..

• Dr
    Dropthahammer Oct 28, 2016

Brian,
    Instead of criticizing a fellow consumer who has the right to criticize how you run your business I'd like to think you'd find some value in this passage. For a person who is a representative of a charity who donates cars to the needy I think you could be more professional. It gives the charity you represent a bad business model and the idea that you have no idea what you're doing when you act like you have all the answers when clearly you don't.

I'd love to have a vehicle donated to me but I don't have the income and neither does my wife to sink into a problem if you can't get it right the first time. Maybe you run a better business practice and get your head out of your rear end so you can see the light for once. The charity is for the needy. People like myself and others around the world. Stop treating yourself like the victim, and donate a quality car instead of some value. I could rate charity cars of some value but nobody would go to it because there are more bad experiences than good.

• Br
    Brian Menzies Aug 05, 2016

Charity Cars has been awarding cars to families for 20 years. We are the experts and we strive to provide roadworthy vehicles that have some value and will not burden our recipients. At times donors fail to understand that a 15-20 year old car that needs work would not be a blessing to a family, but a never ending money pit. Our recipients many times use there entire savings to register and insure their new vehicle so we must try to provide them with a roadworthy car that has some value. The writer is free to start their own charity and do a better job than our organization. It is amazing how many "arm chair quarterbacks" there are in the world.