FPLfpl deposit rip off

In June of 2008 My husband and I moved to Florida. Our Electric company is FPL. Each billing cycle we are billed twice for amounts over $200.00. It is now (today) March 21 2009, and our power was shut off twice this month of March, only for payment amount of $156.63 cents. We couldn't understand why we were shut off because we pay every two weeks. We then 6 days after getting shut off and paying the fee's, where given another Bill for $292.96 cents. Telling us yet again we owe a disposit amount of $363.00, yet in June paid the "deposit" amount they asked for of $250.00, so today we decided to Disect our bills. We broke it down to where we are only using 295 KW per day at $2.05 cents a day, adding up to $16.22 every 8 days which would be in a 30 day cycle (monthly) $60.00 a month. If you tripple that, which we did, that is our bill they send each month. If you add up what we have paid, mind you every two weeks as we are billed twice (6-11 days apart) it adds up to $4, 333.74 since June of 2008. My home is 1800SQFT, and it is only myself my husband and my baby. The only things running every day/night are Computer/Fridge, we do not use the air due to it being just right outside. We do laundry 3 loads on Sundays, and showers every other day for myself and my baby, my husband is gone all week. When we call FPL and ask them why this is, they tell us that "It isn't our problem" and they also say "you do not pay twice a month, as we do not bill like that", which if you look at our break down which I printed out, it has us paying every 6-11 days 156.63 cents, and each bill we get says Final Notice at the top. Also we are charged "late fee's" when that can not be possible since we pay bi-weekly. They are also charging us another deposit amount. What do we do about this. We are at wits end, and have paid so much as they demand more!

• Sh
    Sharon Walker Nov 03, 2008

I have been a customer with FPL for many years. Now that I have been out of work due to surgery and some fraud done on my bank account. FPL is trying to charge me a deposit and and have me pay within 24 hours.

• Iv
    Ivette Keller Nov 18, 2008

I have a sister who is disable and just got a voucher for her FPL bill and when she got home with it she received a letter from FPL asking for an additional 300.00 deposit because of being late on her bill. If she needed to get help to pay it then how on earth is she going to get an extra 300.00. FLP needs to be awaken to reality, we are having difficult times my dear.
    We need to poeple to get together and do something about these power companies. They are an insensitive bunch of cold heartless, greedy companies that need government intervention.

• Sf
    Sfericsman Feb 17, 2009

Unusual high electric bill far exceeding average bill for February.

Also they imposed deposit requirement or auto payment by my bank last year. I have been a 20 year resident here in Florida I am just sick of FPL!

Paul

• Ps
    PssofAsh Apr 17, 2009

I completely understand how you feel. You need to stand up and email the governor, [email protected] and send a complaint to the better business bureau at bbb.org

I am tired of FPL being able to take advantage because they are the only company we have to provide us with electric.

• Fl
    floridapeoplesrights May 15, 2009

I agree...THIS IS B...FREAKIN...S !!! I'm SO over this FPL monopoly!!! Will SOMEBODY of authority step in PLEASE and stop this utility mafia!!!

• Ro
    Robert Greene____ Jul 23, 2009

OMG, I am using a generator tonight because of FPL, we paid their extended deposit because my daughter moved in with her kids for 6 months and they raised the deposit, so they added 250.00 to my bill last month, it was paid and now I’m sitting without power because they turned it off at 4:30 in the evening before I could stop them, I live 70 miles from my job so couldn’t make it home in time. Plus they left a ticket saying I now owe 600 dollars to turn it back on?? I have the receipt however tonight my family sits in the dark until tomorrow. This saddens me not only for myself however others who has to go thru this. They should be ashamed of themselves and the director of fpl needs to be removed from his position. This has to stop, its simply wrong… Please email me at [email protected] with more complaints so we can submit them all at once to the BBB to prevent another family like ours from every having to experience this, our silence is our worst enemy… I have never done this however I am up for the challenge… Its time to stop this monopoly or our elected officials will go unemployed… Please people, if you are here, it’s for a reason. Contact me… Together we will build a new tomorrow together, But I need your help.

Robert Greene
    27 Wood Lawn
    Palm Coast Fl, 32164

• Je
    jen198822 Aug 27, 2009

i have the same problem... fpl is horrible we got our electric shut off about 2 weeks ago due to a late payment but we never recieved a bill so we called to see how long it would take to get turned back on...due to having a baby and its what about 100 daily we needed to know if we should go to a hotel or what not the lady then decided to get ### with us about being late and said that there were no priority reconnects..she said " we have kids on oxigen that dont get priority reconnects" who says that to a customer...the next day we got our bill... after it sopposedly had been sent out 10 days before...then today we recieved another bill including a 677 dollar deposit now due by the 24 of september so on top of our 243 dollar bill for sept we have to come up with that or we will not have power...who can come up with that amount of money a month for electric? come on why is nobody doing anything about this company...just cause they are the only power company down in florida shouldnt give them a right to do this to hard working families who are struggling as it is

• Je
    jen198822 Aug 27, 2009

i am in the middle of figuring out how to sue them and what exactly to do this is horrible i know we are not the only family dealing with it... it cant hurt to try to put so type of rules on them...

Madmama73 Sep 09, 2009

We are facing the same situation with FPL in Palm Coast. Within the past month we have handed them over $800.00. We gave them almost $600.00 of it first and then they showed up like a week later and disconnected our power over what they said was an additional deposit. That day we borrowed the $250.00 and paid it and they turned the power back on. Now two weeks have passed and without first receiving a normal bill, we receive a final notice for almost $200.00 DEPOSIT. We have a couple of days to come up with it and we can't. When we called to ask why we're getting another deposit, they said the last time wasn't a deposit. This is on top of them continuing to try to take money out of my mother's bank account and causing the check to bounce... after she asked them to stop! They claim she didn't request them to stop automatic billpay but she did. I was sitting there when she requested it, I know she did. Anyway, when someone figures out how to sue them, let me know, I'll join you. [email protected]

• Fl
    floridapeoplesrights Sep 09, 2009

I can tell you this...F.P.L. thinks THEY are the giant here. What they don't realize is they are actually "awakening a sleeping giant"...WE THE PEOPLE.

The day that a strong law firm decides to represent the CONSUMERS of F.P.L. and take legal action against them with a class action lawsuit, then maybe the this utility mafia will be humbled!!

brokein FL Sep 10, 2009

Why should FPL be allowed to demand deposit? I have a deposit with FPL for about $560. I owe them $360 and they did not want to give me a payment extension while holding more than $500? They are squeezing the working people dry. And they want another increase????

Maybe it is time to end the monopoly!

brokein FL Sep 10, 2009

Problems with FPL? Call (850) 488-4441.Call the division of consumer service (850)488-2221 .

• La
    lamh Sep 29, 2009

Yes, these issues have also happened, to literally, more than half the people here at work. Everyone is fuming and disgusted with FPL, especially in a time of economic crisis. Instead of trying to help the the people they are making it more difficult for us to pay with extra deposits, rate increases and shut -off notices within 10 days after the bill is due. I have to pay 2 electric bills, one for my house, of 20 yrs., and one for my business. Business has dropped considerably so when I went to pay my house bill I mistakenly chose the wrong account. There wasn't enough in that account at the time, so they have locked me out of the online payment system for 1 year. I called and told them it was an error and I have had the same account for 20 years and they use the excuse that it's in the system and they have no control over it. So I asked for the manager. Same story! We'll that's BS if I have ever heard any. I would love to see a class action lawsuit, so when one comes about my email address is [email protected] I can also get everyone I know to sign up for it. Thanks!

• Ro
    RORIE Oct 01, 2009

Hey, for all who are having problem with FPL here's a ph# to contact they will resolve the issue with FPL 800-342-3552. Don't call FPL customer service because they will give you the turn around. Call that number for your complaint.

• Fa
    Farscape1 Oct 16, 2009

FPL needs to be put in its place. They are ripping people off, when they know that times are bad and their is lots of unemployment, right now.

These jerks are even starting to bother business in Palm Coast with their stupid survey that they are making minority owned business fill out. They showed up at a Japanese restaurant and had a crappy attitude. They demanded that the manager fill out their stupid survey. Up theirs! Who do they think they are? The Government! I can't stand them and I will not feel bad when they start hurting and we get an alternative source of power.

We should start running off bumper stickers that read, "FPL - Frustrating People's Lives" or something more vulgar. They are truly evil!

• Fu
    fustrated_fpl_user Nov 15, 2009

Fpl should be stopped, I can't wait for the day we have another option.

Yesterday I received another deposit from them, $76, we already have a deposit $476. We (my wife and a 2 years old child) been in this house 6months and our lowest bill has never been lower than $350, the past summer we were paying our bills nearly every two weeks, $400 bills, $450, $350, finally we got caught up and I don't even know how 2 adults and 1 baby househould 1800 sq ft can be paying $400 a month when our previous location we were paying $150 the most.

Anyhow we've shut our ac off and all the other unnecessary lights and this past bill has been the lowest $150. I went to pay the bill in town South Daytona and the payment locations (3) no longer take fpl payments (and in daytona also), I went to pay 5 diferent times (3 locations no longer take fpl b/c of whatever FPL reasons, and the other 2 payment places is right in the middle of crack central, perfect place for a family to safely pay their fpl bill. I'm sure I'm not the only who've notice that ALL if not most FPL payment locations are in bad neighborhoods. The two I went to had crackheads standing outside waiting to rob someone and any wrong move.

All the place that FPL sent me to to pay were all in the dump, total dump that not even the CEO of fpl or customer service would feel safe paying there. Yes that's the options we working people have here in fl.

So i paid the bill a few days past the due (no payment locations opened like I said and they don't take debit or visa or a $5 charge to do so $1 your own cash).

I had to take my baby to some corner liquor shop with 10 crackheads outside waiting to rob you and I'm sure they know people paying fpl bills there have money on them.
    `
    Their needs to be someone looking over fpl practices, my bill has been the lowest it's ever been and I already have a $476 deposit. The bill i just paid was $180, I don't owe them anything so why am I paying another deposit when the bill is way below the deposit amount.

I'm really disgusted. Need to join a petition group about FPl. There needs to more options available,

The CEO of FPl and the decision makers are worst that the terrorists against Americans; they might as well be working for them, the amount of complaints I've found against fpl practices and their rip off deposits.

Here's my email for any questions I would like to do something about this.

• Bw
    BWilder Dec 10, 2009

I am in the same situation as most of you. I recently lost my business after 11 years and now have been doing jobs that I did as a kid...for Christ's sake I'm delivering pizzas at night just to pay for groceries for my family. I have fallen so far (just like everyone else) and my emotional state is terrible and then today FPL tells me that because my wife sent the bill in 3 days late that they require 3 months avg additional deposit! That's $2200!!! I'm going to be sitting in the dark with 3 little children...what do I do? I OWNED my own construction company for 11 years and stupidly re-invested all of the profits back into the growth of the business only to have the economy take us out. Now I do drywall during the day and deliver pizza at night and FPL wants to turn me off because of 3 days late payment (the full amount was paid mind you). I'm so frustrated and depressed, I just don't know what to do. We should all stand together and bring down this monopoly.

• Bu
    Butcher1 Dec 15, 2009

I have never dealt with a company that treats their customers as bad as FPL does. I’m sure this is why monopolies are illegal. If the government doesn’t do something about this monopoly I hope the public does. I think they are a bunch of criminals. I owed them only about $30 and was set to mail this payment with in a week and without notice they came and shut my power off. I just wish when I send them the $30 I could change companies. This is the second time they have done this in one year. Also when you call them I would swear no one working there made it out of the 5th grade. The funny thing is they talk to you like they really believe they know what they are talking about and they can do no wrong. I think they are brain washed and they want to brain wash others. For example I was watching the news and I seen some families being kick out of their homes because they had no power and where living by candle light. A fireman said to the reported the reason was the leading cause of house fires is candles… Now come on.. I myself have heard for way more electrical fires then candle fires, especially this time of year with Christmas lights. But not just Christmas lights there are thousands of electrical devices with things that can go wrong in millions of homes and they want you to think that the few that are reduced to using candle light are in more danger. Maybe in danger of costing FPL money.. Well I’m sure we are in no hope of changing anything but I wanted to vent how cheap they can be. I really feel for some of the others that have posted their stories here with huge bills. I have never thought about running for any office but companies like this make you think about it just to be able to be a real thorn in their side. If someone has any ideas how we can take down this monopoly please e-mail me on how I can help. [email protected] Please don’t tell me to write our governor. We all know what good that has done.

jack.m01 Jan 03, 2010

YES FPL IS OVERCHARGING
    DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU TRY TO SAVE ENERGY OR USE MORE THE BILL IS THE SAME.WE HAVE CHANGED EVERYTHING ;FROM AC TO WATER SOLAR WATER HEATERS IT DIDNT MAKE A DIFFERENCE THE BILL CAME EVEN HIGHER...
    IS THERE A WAY SOMEBODY OR SOMEONE LOOK INTO THIS

THANKS

jack.m01 Jan 03, 2010

I THINK LIFE IS HARD ENOUGH AS IS
    THE GOVERMENT SHOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT

WHY ALL THIS SCAMERS ARE GETTING AWAY WITH THIS

• Zu
    zubero Jan 05, 2010

I had srvc with FPL for 3.5 years. And suddenly they are asking for a $341 deposit. Some BS. I filed a complain thru the Public Service Commission website, and sent it directly to FPL. Within 24 hours they called me and told me that they are going to waive the deposit requirement. And advised me to pay on time every month. Its not that I don't pay, I pay sometimes on time some month I don't. So do yourself a favor and file the complain thru the PSC website:
    here's the link and Good Luck !

• H2
    H2Mama Apr 20, 2010

FPL returned my cashiers check with a letter that said you must pay by cashiers check or money order and turned off my power for non payment. They are absolutely awful.

• Da
    davidbori84 May 14, 2010

YUP! I paid my final notice today and the only place I could pay takes 3 buisiness days to go through. Tomorrow they cut off my power and they told me that although i have a payment recipt there is nothing they can do!

• Re
    readyforsolar Jul 14, 2010

FPL ALSO SENDS EACH CUSTOMER APPROX. $50 WORTH OF "UN-USED" ENERGY THAT YOU PAY FOR. I USED TO SELL A PRODUCT THAT ONCE INSTALLED IT WOULD SEND THAT ENERGY RIGHT BACK TO THEM...SO YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!

FPL HAS BEEN USING CUSTOMER'S FOR THEIR CASH FLOW FOR DECADES, IT SHOULD BE OUTLAWED.

• Sj
    sjzacharyi Oct 22, 2010

I tatally agree, our last deposit was over $500, and they seem to raise 100 or more every other week. They don't care what kind of situation your in all they want is the money. Our power has been turned off once again, I mean 1bill it was over $300 and the next a week later was over $500

• Gi
    gigahurtz Mar 22, 2011

Here's an idea to everyone listed here: PAY YOUR BILLS ON TIME

It's really quite simple. Everyone complains about FP&L but they deal with customers who think having electricity is a "right". You get what you pay for. Everyone here talks about how they sometimes pay on time and sometimes don't. When you go to a restaurant, do you pay half the check when you leave? When you go to Walmart to go shopping for groceries, do you only pay half the bill? Get with it people and stop looking for someone to always bail you out. Pay on time and your deposit won't go up and your electric won't get shut off.

• Go
    godwin1989 Jun 03, 2011

^^ to you gig not everybody in Florida has steady cash flow bill comes up and you don't have the money it dosnt get paid but unless you got the money to pay it for us be my guest. Oh and by the way you wouldn't be on the page if you power didn't get shut off for late payment am I right ?? So I think I speak for everyone that has poasted onto this page fpl runs your life and gigahurtz go f*#& your self

• Ca
    cate6666 Jun 23, 2011

If you don't have the money to pay for the service, the service will be interrupted.

You don't go to McDonald's, get a burger and fries, take a bite and ask if you can pay them tomorrow.

So, you either pay for the electricity you use, or you use LESS electricity that you CAN pay for.

• Si
    sickntired11 Jul 30, 2011

MY DEPOSIT TO GET ELECTRIC SERVICE FOR A SINGLE WIDE MOBILE HOME WAS OVER $700!!! THEY ARE OUT OF CONTROL! I ALSO GOT BOUNCED 5 TIMES FROM ONE PERSON TO ANOTHER, EACH ONE ASKING THE SAME QUESTIONS, EACH TIME GOING THROUGH ALL THEIR ANNOYING ROBOTIC MENU'S, JUST TO ORDER SERVICE! SOMEBODY HELP US!

Mariflor marcosguillermo Nov 20, 2013

I had a past due by 10 days of $183.00, and I have a $300 deposit with FPL, they gave me until today to pay the past due, they disconnected at 10am, the day has not pass. They have don't it twice already just to charge a $17.00 disconnection fee, and I have not received the next bill yet.

bridgetinez Dec 21, 2013

TTo the one that says pay ur bills on line, well I did and they waited six days then they said I paid late when in fact I paid a week early, it's supposed to be auto pay and it comes out.. well that didn't happen.. I not only was charged a late fee and they shut me off for a day because THEY SAID I PAID LATE.. NOT ONLY THAT I'M THINKING THE BILL IS PAID, THEY TOOK OUT LATE FEE AND RE CONNECT FEE AND THREW MY ACCOUNT IN TO THE NEGATIVE... I CALLED TO COMPLAIN WITH PROOF THAT I PAID A WEEK EARLIER AND THEY ACTUALLY TOLD ME THAT I NEEDED TO BE MORE RESPONSIBLE WITH MY MONEY... I AM STILL SHOCKED THAT A CUSTOMER SERVICE REP SAID THAT TO ME..

• Ps
    Psychology108 Mar 21, 2014

I thought that monopoly was illegal in this country!!! Why is FPL the only electricity provider in this state? And since they are aware of that, they treat all customers with disrespect, and have absolutely no compassion for anyone. I can't understand how this is legal. We as residents of FL should stand up and take this matter seriously! I am planning on building solar panels on my new house so I don't have to depend on some degenerates who do nothing but rip you off and keep you under their shoe

• Fp
    fplhater Apr 27, 2015

FPL sucks! Everyone that works for them sucks. Now, there were a couple of people in the above comments who said "pay your bills on time". Screw you! Not everyone is capable of grabbing money every time fpl demands it. I received a notice today stating that they need an additional deposit from me of $273.00. They start by saying "we understand that these are hard times. Many families are struggling to make ends meet." Then they say for that reason, we need an additional deposit from you, on top of your ridiculous bill that you're struggling to pay. If you dont give in to our demands, we'll shut you down. I'm paraphrasing of course, but thats what it amounts to. I really, really wish I had another option. But, I'm a renter so solar panels are out. FPL has got us ALL over a barrel (even you fpl sympathisers) and the people who can help, don't care one bit. I doubt it will ever get any better. I'd be willing to bet it will get steadily worse. I'd like to punch whomever is in charge there in the face right about now.

Marvin d Schuster Feb 27, 2016

These people they came to my apartment complex to work today shut off the power for 5 hours so far and are in the back playing construction men they are not fixing a no power issue they created one so they can build something back there didn't give any body no warning they didn't care I wouldn't invest any money in the stock market on this low quality company

• Go
    golfvilla Apr 25, 2016

I signed up for automatic billing. My statement said my bill is due May 2. FPL debited my bank account on April 25 which resulted in a NSF charge of $30 from my bank because I didn't expect the charge until the following week.

When I called FPL, it is impossible to get hold of a representative only a automated response. The auto response says that I was billed April 22. FPL billing is all messed up!!!