Emirates Airlinesduty free excess baggage

N

This is with reference to my flight with EK from Istanbul to Hyderabad, India. I boarded flight EK122 bound to Dubai. I did not have any checked in baggage, though i am allowed to check in 30 Kg, one piece baggage. My hand carry was 8 Kg and a laptop weighing 3 Kg. I was allowed to board the aircraft with my belongings mentioned above at the Istanbul Airport without any problem. After reaching Dubai, my transit point, as usual I shopped at their so called duty free shopping points. I packed those duty free shopping stuff into a folding bag which I was carrying with me inside my hand carry. It was approximately 10 Kg and wanted to check in that piece of bag at the gate B1, which I always do without any issues. Since I am frequent flyer and do not like to have a check in baggage. But this time around the EK staff stopped me and weighed my baggage which I intended to check in. They asked me to pay excess baggage for 10 Kg. When I informed them that I don't have any checked in baggage and allow me to check in this 10 Kg baggage, they refused. Finally after a lot of arguments they asked me to pay or else they will off load me from flight EK 526 bound to Hyderabad. I was forced to pay 830 AED. I had no option but to pay. This is the first time I have seen / heard that passengers were made to pay excess baggage charges for shopping at their duty free. Even the passengers like myself with nil check-in baggage was forced to pay. The irony was I was not the only passenger who faced this problem. There was this Indian lady who was traveling from Dusseldorf, Germany. Though she did not shop anything at Dubai duty free but they forced her to pay for excess baggage for her hand carry, which was may be 10 - 12 Kg including her purse which EK staff in Dusseldorf allowed her to carry. But in her transit point, Dubai, her baggage was weighed made her pay. Up on argument she was told that they call the police and offload her from EK 526. They made her cry. There was another Indian couple who were already in the Co-bus were offloaded for the same problem. Around 8 passengers, including me, who faced same problem got together and reported the issue to the EK 526 flight supervisor Mr. Aleksandar, who was kind and patient enough to listen to our problem one by one and agreed to report it to the EK customer service. We also have registered our complain with EK airport in-charge at the Hyderabad airport. We also have decided to report this issue to the Senior Vice President, Customer Affairs & Audit, EK.
I personally demand Emirates Airlines a formal apology and seek refund of 830 AED along with necessary damages for unnecessary harassment by EK staff. Once again I would like to inform you that I had nil check in baggage at my point of origin and was allowed whatever hand carry I had.

• Mo
    MohammedTa Apr 08, 2017

I had the same issue last week with emirates airlines traveling from DXB to Hyderabad at gate no B27, they asked me to pay extra for duty free, why the hell should be pay extra for DUTY FREE, what is the meaning of duty free, they should change it from duty free to buy and pay tax or something..

this is ridiculous, this is just a way to make more money, we understand hand baggage is 10 kgs but why do you charge for duty free, this must be stopped or we will be forced to use any other airlines..