[Resolved] Ecco ShoesI no longer buy ecco!

It appears that nothing has changed at Ecco. I used to buy Ecco shoes for their comfort but found that on three pairs of shoes the centres of the soles came away after little wear. The reason for this as far as I could observe was simple. It appears to be that they stamp their 'Ecco' brand name large and very deeply into the rubber sole to the extent that it weakens around that area. Believing that I was doing them a favor, I wrote to them (no reply) and subsequently spoke to them (with little courtesy). They told me to send the shoes back to them. I replied that I would if they sent me the postage or they could ask their local dealer (just up the road from me) to pick them up. They refused. Their customer service is appalling. I no longer buy Ecco. End of story.

• Resolution Statement

• Ecco Customer Care's Response · Oct 02, 2018

You can go to our website at eccousa.com to submit a claim. For sole issues, the warranty goes beyond the 1 year. At the bottom of the home page, you will see Warranty under Services. Click on this to submit a claim and receive a prepaid return label so you can send in to us. Nancy ECCO Customer Service

• Ecco Customer Care's Response · Oct 11, 2018

Hi Phil. You can send your golf shoes into us for a Warranty Claim no problem. To submit a Warranty Claim, simply visit www.us.ecco.com . On the bottom navigation, under SERVICES, select Warranty. The Warranty Claim process will be explained in detail. You will be prompted for all the needed information. For sole issues, the warranty goes beyond the one year. Once complete, you can print your Prepaid Return Label or E-mail it to yourself to print later. Then, simply package up your shoes, apply this label and drop off at any US Post Office. You will receive an e-mail when your shoes arrive at ECCO. Nancy ECCO CUSTOMER SERVICE

Oct 01, 2007

I had a similar experience with customer service in Canada. After some emails they have lost many months ago, Ecco told me to send them the shoes and when I brought them in, the guy I met at the door was very borderline rude. He told me they have to "examine them", though it was obviously defective manufacturing. I later got an email saying that the shoes are "no-longer under warranty". ( I never wore them once since they were not wearable when spring came and I wanted to use them). We used to buy at leats 2 pairs of Ecco's every year - no more, thank you. Would you buy expensive shoes that have limited time warranty that is not stated anywhere either? With the customer service like that?

• H
      Oct 21, 2007

I too am experiencing an 'echo' with the poor quality of Ecco soles! Unfortunately, I've only worn my shoes a total of 4 times now, before the soles started to deteriorate. Not only did it feel like a constant pebble under my shoe, but the sides of my heels appeared to have 'blown' holes through one of them! The shoes are outstanding in comfort, which makes me want to weep, for the money I paid for them, but I won't put one more dime in the manufacturers' direction again for such a lack of quality control. After searching the web, there seems to be several others who also have had some issues with Ecco, with little luck of reparations. So wish me luck... my journey is not yet over with these shoes... it's time to make a deal for their souls... or is that soles?!

• A
      Jan 17, 2008

I just got second thoughts on recommending Ecco shoes to a friend., after reading the many complaints. The soles on my first pair of eccos started to separate at various points. I sent them back AND they replaced the defective shoes for Free. I was pleasantly surprised. Interestingly, ecco now has a refurbishing dept. for fixing your shoes at about half the price you paid for them.?? What's up with that?? Question: Who's putting the soles on their shoes? And what country?

Feb 01, 2008

I bought a pair of ECCO shoes several years ago. The sole and heel surface deteriorated, chunks of material broke out. I took them to a store that sold ECCO and they exchanged them for a new pair. I haven't worn the replacement pair very much and guess what - same type of deterioration on the sole and heel. I still have them and am considering what to do. The label says made in Portugal. The numbers printed inside the tongue are [protected]. Except for the bad bottoms, the shoes are like new.

Feb 27, 2008

Ecco shoes are junk. Mine started disintegrating after sitting for about 6 months. I will never waste my money on this brand again.

Read the rest at http://honeypot.net/my-ecco-shoes-are-junk.

• L
      Mar 09, 2008

I am writing to tell you how disappointed I have been in the quality of Ecco and Clark shoes. The soles just fall apart. Often leaving me in a precarious and even hazardous positions.
    Therefore I'm forced not to purchase their shoes, even though I like them. I believe it is a problem with the materials used on the rubber soles.
    I am forced to buy the competitors products even if at a higher price point. Mephistos don't have this problem.
    I am hoping these company's will do something to correct this problem.
    It's happened on every pair whether worn or not. They disintegrate. Some sooner then others.
    A very disappointed customer

Mar 19, 2008

Yes, I agree. For the price Ecco do not make quality soles. Neither do they stand behind their product. A shoe shouldn't just disintegrate on the shelf. And if a shoe is only worn a handful of times, if it sits in my closet for seven years before I decide to wear it again, I expect it to be in good order just as I left it. But, Ecco determined that because my shoe is now "used" that it is no longer under warranty. I don't know what is up with Ecco soles but I expect better. And if I only wear a shoe a few times a year, I expect that shoe to last several years.

One of my shoes had a hairline crack in the sole. Within only a couple of wearings the whole sole peeled off in big chunks. I had walked through a wet soggy park so I guessed that maybe the moisture had gotten in under the sole and caused it to rot.

Another pair I had was in perfect condition. Nearly no wear at all on the sole. But one day I stepped on a wet concrete floor and my shoe stuck to the floor as if I had stepped in gum. As I slid my shoe to try and rid it of what felt like gum on the bottom, I was horrified when I looked and saw that it was actually the sole of the shoe that had gummed up and dissolved on the small area where I had stepped. From that point it wasn't difficult to peel the whole thing away.

Ecco only warranty shoes that have manufacturer's defect and with the original receipt from an authorized Ecco dealer. If your shoes are like new but even a couple years old, you're out of luck because Ecco just don't care!

Apr 16, 2008

i have the ecco track shoes.the soles came off in chunks

• E
      Jun 03, 2008

Here you find another disappointed customer of Ecco Shoes. Same happend to my and my partners sandals - the soles fall appart after a short time of using. I complained at Ecco Switzerland and did not even get an answer. Later a got a rather rude mail from Ecco Germany. Ecco Denmark also does not bother about discontented customers. Ecco might have good designs but the quality of shoes is more than poor. They are a cheat!

Jun 06, 2008

My shoes just came apart when walking on them. It looks like I stepped in acid or something.
    They just disintegrated.
    I want my $$$ back for both pair!!!

ecco crap!

Jun 10, 2008

What I don't understand is, why isn't this happening to EVERYONE? If it was then you'd think ECCO would have a recall or something. The fact that there must be many satisfied customers makes me ask the question, "Why is this only happening to us?" What are the underlying conditions that cause this to happen. I'm afraid to buy anymore ECCO shoes. My first pair just split in half on the bottom and the tread wasn't even worn. My next pair just crumbled and peeled off in chunks, kind of like when you peel a sunburn. My third pair just dissolved into a goo when I stepped on a damp floor. Needless to say ECCO would do nothing because the shoes were "out of warranty".. but I say, this shouldn't happen under normal conditions of wearing the shoes... or even leaving them on the shelf!

• W
      Sep 14, 2008

Same problem. I have 3 pair of Ecco Shoes all with disentigrating soles. This problem developed in 1 pair shortly after purchase. No luck with Ecco. Another pair developed the problem while sitting in the closet. Its very dissappointing to have this problem in expensive shoes without any company response or liability. Will have to purchase other brands.

Sep 21, 2008

I have had two pairs of ECCO shoes - the first pair wore fairly well for a year or so, and then the soles came apart in chunks.
    The second pair were worn once when new, and sat in the closet for a few years - still looked brand new when I put them on today, but after a couple of hours, the soles were falling apart. The soles turn into a cracked, sticky mess. The backs of the heels went first, but there are big cracks all over.
    As others have said - they're really comfortable, otherwise well made, but there's something horribly wrong with the sole material. Simply shouldn't happen to a $$$ shoe. I was considering sending back to factory, etc - after reading the comments here, I wont bother. I'll just avoid them in the future, and warn anyone and everyone away from ECCO. Sad.

Sep 27, 2008

Ecco is the worst comsumer product I've owned in many years. I can't imagine how they sleep at night. I had 3 pair fall apart within the last few months. I too was told about the "shelf life" of the shoes. If they have a shelf life like Milk, then they should have an expiration date.

• V
      Oct 09, 2008

My Echo shoe is only 2 months old and the heel is already coming apart and has a hole which can not be fixed.
    I need the e/mail address of Echo to file a complaint.
    Thanks

Oct 10, 2008

I've had a pair of Ecco Track II high boots for 5 years. I have pretty much used them for 3/4 of that time on a daily basis. The uppers finally started separating and the soles started chunking. I just wore them out. But imagine my surprise when I have had a pair for 2 years in storage and just started wearing them for less than a week. The soles are literally cracking and chunking. This is just not acceptable. There are large voids where the material did not adhere to the midsole and the outsole is breaking apart. This is a manufacturing defect. The Track II has been my favorite shoe for quite some time as it is so comfortable. I guess that I'll have to find a local cobler and have them attach a good Vibram or Goodyear sole in its place. At least I know that both the Vibram and Goodyear will stand up. Heck, Ive had cheap Merrel's that lasted over a decade with the original sole. This is just outlandish that a shoe sole in this day and age should limit the length of time that a shoe can be worn.

Oct 23, 2008

I also have a pair of leather shoes that were worn perhaps 10 times, the tops look new, but the soles have just fallen off in chunks!!! I contacted ECCO, they had me send them in, said that they weren't repairable, were past the 1 year guarantee period, and gave me a 50% off card for another pair. Since they are defective, I called and told them I would like a replacement pair, not just 50% off, and they told me I would have to send them in to another address, pay my own postage, and get another opinion. Still no guarantee of any replacement. And these are over $100 shoes!!! I have decided that this is just a bad company to deal with and will never buy another pair of ECCO shoes again! Pass this info on to anyone who wants to hear!!!

Nov 07, 2008

I purchased a pair of brick coloured soft 11 shoes here in Ireland on the 25th September. Within two weeks of buying these shoes the colour had begun rubbing off/fading in different areas around the shoes. I returned to the store and was told they would have to return them to ECCO Ireland for assessment. I was accused of having rubbed bleach on the shoes which I had just paid 75.00Euro for. I emailed ECCO Ireland and received an email response telling me to return the shoes to the retailer. I took photos of the shoes showing the various defects and emailed them to ECCO Ireland and received no response to that email. I returned to the store and they wanted to take the shoes from me, send them back to ECCO Ireland which would take three weeks.

I am disabled, I bought these shoes because I need a laced shoe to wear with an A.F.O. for drop foot and nerve damage. I do not have another laced shoe to wear this A.F.O. with so I cannot afford to be without them for 3 weeks. The retailer suggested I purchase a 2nd pair of shoes to wear while I was waiting for these shoes I am presently wearing to be assessed. I asked would the money be refunded once the shoes were assessed and I got a replacement pair the response I got was that I would get a credit note for the store.

I am wondering if anyone else has had problems with colour fading on ECCO shoes?

• D
      Nov 12, 2008

I purchased a pair of black echo brouge style shoes about two years ago and i imaagine my surprise when I took them out of the closet to wear to a special occasion and the soles of both are bare in the ball of the foot area, and the right heel was about half its original size . When I showed my wife she just about died laughing . I had no other black shoes to wear . Originally we both blamed the dog but a closer look I found the rubber disintagrating . I have spent over two hours looking for their email address, then I found this site and -- surprise - I am not alone .

Nov 14, 2008

I was cleaning out my closet and found my waterproof ecco shoes purchased in 2000. The soles were melting in spots. GROSS! this is the first time I have ever seen a shoe melt from disuse. DISGUSTING. The melting plastic/rubber looked like snot. I tossed those puppies out. I did get a lot of wear out of them, many hiking trips etc but I thought the disintegration during storage was bizarre.

Do not plan to buy this brand again.

Nov 19, 2008

ECCO is a joke of a company. I can't believe that they are still in business. My husband bought his ECCO Water-proof shoes about 2 years ago, thinking they would help his back problems. His work shoes are SAS, but the shoe saleman talked him into the ECCO's. About a week ago, he decided to where them to an Alabama Football game. He parked the car and when he got out...all of this black gunk was on the floor board of the car. He thought he had stepped in something. We went to his cousins apartment and he was leaving a trail of black gunk, everywhere he walked. By the end of the game, his soles were practically non exsistant. I called the store that bought out the store where he had originally purchased the shoes, and they have agreed to fix the shoes at their cost. HE WILL NEVER EVER PURCHASE ANOTHER PAIR OF THESE RIP-OFF SHOES AGAIN, AND WE WILL SPREAD THE WORD FOR OTHERS TO DO THE SAME!!!:-(

• F
      Mar 08, 2009

I agree that the soles just fall apart in chunks after a short time. Will the manufacturer correct problem if I return shoes? If so, please provide address and telephone number.

May 14, 2009

I have a pair of Ecco trainers...5 years and they just keep on going. My partner has a pair of Ecco Traks. Unworn for a year, still like new. Went for a walk with the dogs. It rained, and soles disintegrated into a million pieces. At first I thought they were probably fakes, but it might well be the case that Ecco have gotten themselves into bed with a 3rd party sole manufacturer (probably China) who are turning out the lowest quality product imagineable using the wrong materials. Ecco probably know full well that an acceptance of liabilty by them could sink the company, so they hide behind their "one year warranty", and hope that everyone gets tired of trying to get it sorted. They've looked to increase profit, but have in fact done nothing more than alienate repeat customers.

• A
      Jun 30, 2009

The bottom line is defective manufacturing of the soles. Has anyone filed a class action suit against Ecco?

These photos are of a pair of shoes I bought a few years back and have never worn (check out the lack of wear on the parts of the sole that didn't disintegrate.

The problem has something to do with the Ecco logo stamped in thebottom of the shoe, as you can see one shoe has lost that section of the shoe entirely and the other is starting to lose it.

Has anyone gotten a refund or any kind of satisfaction from Ecco?

Sep 09, 2009

Ecco shoes are crap. I have 4 pair of Track II (2 black and 2 brown); all have disintegrated. Stay away from Ecco.

Sep 09, 2009

Ecco is crap. I have 4 pair of Track II shoes (2 black, 2 brown). All soles have disintegrated. I can't believe they have not changed their design with all the complaints.

• C
      Sep 16, 2009

I thought I was the only one to have peeling soles on my gore tex track shoes. One pair was practically broand new and the soles peeled away. I had bought them on e-bay so I assumed they were some kind of rejects. Happened to another pair which I had worn more but the heeels wore out fast. Tossed them too. Finally had a pair resoled and they lasted a long time...although the toe part the sole is beginning to pull away. I have two other pair of a different model that are doing well...but not that polyurethan (or whatever it is) on them.

Dec 11, 2009

Never buy ecco. They are an amoral company with ZERO customer service.

Junk Shoes Junk Soles Junk Company!

• P
      Dec 24, 2009

I bought a pair of Ecco Track II hiking boots in 2003 just before a ski trip. I wore them exclusively (when not skiing) without incident. Since that time, I've probably worn them no more than a total of 20 to 30 times. I take them out of the closet today and wore them to work, because bad snowy weather was forecast. While walking around the office I noticed something felt weird when I walked. I look down and it appears that something is stuck to the sole of my boot (gom or food, I thought). I reach down to dislodge it only to find that it's actually part of the sole flopping about. I look at the other boot and discover that a large portion of the heel has the outer sole missing. What a disappointment for an otherwise great shoe. I can't believe that Ecco is doing nothing to make this right.

Feb 17, 2010

Several years ago I bought a pair of ECCO shoes on the recommendation of a friend. They were well made and comfortable and fairly expensive, around $125. Since I have many pairs of shoes I do not wear the same pair very often. After about 2 years the soles of my like new ECCO shoes began to come apart in large chunks. I contacted them and sent them in for inspection and a few weeks later they told me to order a new pair of shoes free of charge.
    Well that pair is now about 3 years old and worn very little, and AGAIN the soles started breaking apart. This time when I sent them in for inspection I was told that they were " out of warranty" and would not be replaced! I will be buying many more shoes for myself and my family in the coming years but rest assured that they will not be ECCOs!!
    P.S. I have many pairs of shoes that are much older and a lot less expensive than the ECCOs in question and not one of them are coming apart! SCREW ECCO.

• G
      Feb 21, 2010

I have bought Ecco shoes for years. And sure enough two pairs of disintegrating soles. I returned them in December and have not heard a word. I am sure that I will experience the same lack of cooperation. No more Ecco's for me. Terrible performance for an expensive brand of shoes.

Mar 17, 2010

My Ecco's were genuine (bought directly from Ecco when my ex-wife worked there). They said made in Portugal. This has nothing to do with Chinese manufacturing or them being knock-offs as one writer suggested by another writer. They all disintegrated whether or not they were worn much. Some failed at the toe or heel too so the Ecco stamp is also not a factor. They use cheap materials and their support is non-existent. Even if I could get them at cost like I could when she worked there, I wouldn't buy them. Stay away!

• P
      Aug 03, 2010

I purchased a pair of City Classics and Track boots in Adelaide, South Australia, some time ago. I returned them to Ecco for "inspection", as neither had any appreciable wear, but the soles had completely failed. According to Ecco they were manufactured in 1996 & 1997, although they were purchased much later. I was advised that "as no purchase information has been included this claim does not meet the requirements under the ECCO Australia Warranty Policy". However, I did supply them with information regarding places of purchase.
    They did offer me $50 credit towards purchase of new product, as a gesture of good faith. What a joke!
    Why has no one considered a class action against ECCO?

Aug 08, 2010

Very soon I will be taking my ecco sandals back to the store.Not for a refund, but to show them all the weak spots on the sandal so they can improve their design.The sandal is comfortable, but with just light use, it falls apart.

Aug 23, 2010

I walked all of 15 feet in my brand new, $203 pair of Ecco's and little did I know at the time, I began leaving a trail of shoe sole remnants behind me. My wife exclaimed "What's this on the floor?" and I thought I had tracked some debris in from outside. An inspection of my shoes revealed that the bottom of the soles were completely falling off into chunks. I contacted the store and they told me I was not wearing them enough! I then contacted Ecco; they told me that this result is normal and that these shoes disintegrate if not worn daily. They said that the shoes have a "limited lifespan." They did nothing but give me one excuse after another... warranty excuses, etc.

DON'T EVER, EVER BUY ECCO BRAND SHOES UNLESS YOU WANT TO THROW AWAY YOUR MONEY!!$$$$$ Most upscale retailers will no longer carry the high-end Ecco's, just the less expensive shoes...

I say class action suit is in order for this company. We all deserve refunds to say the least! And Ecco deserves bankruptcy!

Mar 07, 2011

The soles on my ecco shoes just started falling off in sticky pieces and now they are useless. These shoes have had very little use and don't even show much wear.
    I thought I had a quality shoe but I was wrong. Model [protected]
    Never again will I buy ecco shoes.

• N
      Apr 25, 2011

Thanks for letting me know, I was just going to buy some, but I had never owned any myself. I will steer clear of their product. You saved me lots of money. Thanks again.

Aug 06, 2011

I see a lot of complainers on this board, however keep in mind Ecco Shoes has a 1 (one) year warranty against defects as little as stitching - and they will send it to a shoe repairman, pay for the issue if it can be fixed and return them to you. Now, if it is an issue with the SOLE in any way shape or form, where it becomes mushy sticky or falls off in chunks (hydrolosis is what its called) you can bring them in... and wait...
    THE STORE WILL RETURN OR EXCHANGE THEM FOR A NEW PAIR.

So if you haven't tried bringing them in to an Ecco store (not a franchise) - do so. And an employee would be more than happy to help you out

• H
      Oct 22, 2011

I am an ecco owner since 1995...first pair actually made in denmark...hiked all through New Zealand with no issues. 10 years later in 2005, I bought some Track II's...and the infamous "melting and crumbling" ensued, and I was living in the Mid-Atlantic area of the US.
    I'm certain that oil and salt from heavy-populated urban areas are the culprit.
    Also the injection-molded process seems to be an issue, especially since outsourcing to third world manufacturers and hiding behind a One-year waranty policy.
    Hope this helps...I miss my ecco...the old and original ecco's. R.I.P. Ecco!

• O
      Nov 19, 2011

Hi Everyone.. I had the same situation with my Track boots. We have an Ecco Store here in Orlando so I brought them in to ask if this is normal to see what they would say. Before I could finish my thoughts they offered me a store credit for the cost of the Track boots. ($220) They didn't ask any questions so I picked out 2 new pairs on sale and was on my way. I recommend trying an Ecco Store. Good luck.