Diamond Resortsspecial assessment fee

This special assessment that I just found out about when I tried to make a reservation was NEVER mentioned in any letter or even email correspondence. This is HIGHWAY ROBBERY. Diamond Resorts is going to cause us to lose ALL the money we have ever spent with them because we cannot afford this outrageous fee that they just added on without any notice whatsoever. Stay far away from Diamond Resorts. We've lost thousands through them. What a ripoff.

• St
    steve d carlson Nov 30, 2011

You got screwed like thousands of others like me. This company is a total rippoff. Since Diamond took over the fees have gone through the roof. You can book the rooms cheaper through a travel webb site now. Anybody reading this post stay a thousand miles away from this company. Once you buy through them your stuck. Your points are worth nothing. You can't even give them away as the maintenance fees are so high. They will also screw you on special assesment which they just did for all Hawaii owners since they didn't want to take the insurance company to court for construction problems at the property on Kuai. These people are nothing but thiefs.

Vacation Owner Nov 24, 2011

WOW TB

I hope you have joined the www.poipuowners.org group, there is great strength in numbers and this group is building as is the sister resort on Maui kbcowners.com. Good luck to you that is a very stressful load to dump on folks without ANY WARNING just before the holidays WOW amazing!!! DRI way of sending Holiday Greetings, what a nice company (barf).

There is another group across the pond HATING Diamond Resorts International too they are Diamond Resorts International Complaints Protest Group DRIP for short.

'A business that makes only money is a poor business.'
    Henry Ford

• Tr
    travlingringo Nov 24, 2011

I am an owner of three weeks (2 bedroom unit) at the Point at Poipu. My regular maintenance fee per week is $1, 348. Special assessment fee per week is $5, 893. That's $7, 241 per week owned or, for me, $21, 724! There is no way in hell I am paying that or any portion of it. I do believe MANY owners will walk away, far more than the "10% default" rate than DRI is estimating and say they will cover. If it's greater than 10% then owners who stick around and pay may end up paying a lot more. No thank you.

Vacation Owner Nov 09, 2011

DRI knows there will be fallout from this and they probably have already estimated the revenue they will generate from the RE-SALE of all the new foreclosures in their executives Christmas bonuses.

These guys are a leeches and do not care about the resorts they purchase, they only care about the owners at those resorts and how much money they can fleece from them before the owners revolt. DRI also knows that by keeping the owner/members list "a secret" the owners will never be able to oppose DRI / VOA Board decisions, this is all part of their Extortion tactics, in my humble opinion of course, but if DRI wants to open up the discovery process I'd be willing to bet.

Let's see if this shoe fits...

Modern organized criminal enterprises make money by specializing in a variety of crimes, including EXTORTION, blackmail, gambling, loan-sharking, political corruption, and the manufacture and sale of illicit narcotics.

Extortion, a time-tested endeavor of organized crime, is the acquisition of property through the use of threats or force (just read the tone of the annual extortion and maintenance fee statement and tell me it is not threatening). For instance, a criminal enterprise located in a certain neighborhood of a city may visit shopkeepers and demand a specific amount of so-called protection money ( or in our case Special Assessments). If a shopkeeper (owner/member) does not pay the money, the criminal organization may strike at him(credit rating), his property (foreclosure), or his family (his heirs).

Hey Clueless can you say RICO

• Ba
    Banksie Nov 09, 2011

I would like to join any class action law suit against the Special Assessment being imposed on Poipu Pt owners.
    What on earth have we been paying for over these years ? We are being told the Insurance does not cover the water problems - then sack whoever chose that insurance, dig into the sinking fund and get off our backs. Do they seriously think owners have this kind of money hanging around during a recession or are they expecting us to drop out so they can get the spoils for nothing ?
    = Dave

MauiJim36 Nov 05, 2011

Wow, I hate to hear all the bad stories about Diamond Resorts and their programs. In my humble opinion, they are converting the deeded owners into the points system and putting their deed into the trust where they control the votes. It gets ugly and its only going to get uglier. Expect those MF's to go up until you are priced out. Think about it, you pay the big bucks and they use some of that money to make the resort nicer and then when you can afford the MF's anymore, they sell it to the next person.
    The Hawaii resort owners are going crazy right now with all the assessments that they just found out about. $65 million dollar repair bill to be spread amongst the deeded owners and the Hawaiian Collection owners...
    www.poipuowners.org
    and look up Point at Poipu Angry Owners on FaceBook

Vacation Owner Oct 27, 2011

Nice to know they (DRI) has your best interest in mind right?

Oh wait I have that backwards...

Join KBCowners.com lets see what we can do as a group to put an end to DRI's tyranny, who do they think they are Gaddafi?

Vacation Owner Oct 27, 2011

We too enjoyed our stay at KBC in Maui for many years, but honestly have not been back for 5 years Exchanging through RCI or buying direct on EXPEDIA "when and where I want" for less than I pay DRI for what was once a nice property (pre DRI). DRI has also mismanaged KBC and from the tone of our News Letter they plan to stick it to us next year. I am ready to quit claim my deed to some bum on skid row and let DRI try and collect their fee from his broke a$$.

The only reason I have not given up yet is when I do DRI gets my currently worthless deed and I am sorry those clueless pieces of duff should not profit from their extortion tactics. DRI's bean counters have already factored in to their equation a drop out rate, they will just turn it around to some clueless honeymooners and lie through their teeth like they usually do and they will continue to rape and pillage the members.

Welcome to your most relaxing VACATION EVER right duffy cloobeck.

• Li
    linbrown Oct 27, 2011

This special assessment for the Hawaii Collections is unbelievable. I have spent several
    memorable years vacationing in Hawaii but this charge will end that! Why are we paying several thousands of dollars to fix structural engineering problems? Where is the developer and his responsibility in this? Is Mr. Clobeck (CEO) financing any of the cost? I refuse to put $4, 500 into a timeshare project I can't even give away! They have been looking into the problems at Poipu Pt. for the last 3 years...and continued to sell timeshares! Sounds like
    a class action suit in the making to me! Anyone else walking away?