Department of LabourInspectors / supervisors

J

I have been working for a company called Incredible Connection for 8 years and decided to finally retire this year on April 15.
I then served my one month`s notice to the the company and officially stopped working for them on May 15.

I get paid on the 25th of every month; how it works is that if you work the month of April for example, you would only receive your salary on the 25th of May. When that day came I was not paid and my previous branch manager assured me that it was just a slight misunderstanding so she assured me that she will rectify the matter.

After one month of waiting for her reply via e-mail she sent me an e- mail with my payslip attached to it saying that I was paid at the end of May so the first thing that came to mind was why did they pay on the month end and not on the 25th which they have been doing for 8 years?

I queried this information with the bank by getting statements to prove that no such money was deposited into my account.I then noticed another discrepancy on my payslip; the account number on it did not match mine at all. I then sent an e-mail back to my previous branch manager stating that and demanding to be informed about who this account number belongs to. That`s when she basically got fed up with my problem and turned her back on the matter.

I was feeling discriminated against, violated and robbed at the very same time because I kept thinking in my head that I gave up 8 years of my life to this company, made them millions of Rands and this is the thanks I get? What came after was my trip to the Department Of Labor. My first impression of the place was not good at all. I immediately picked up a vibe of people who don`t take pride in their work just by walking through their doors but I decided to see it through and keep my composure for as long as my case remained open.

When I eventually got a chance to open up a case against my company I was assisted by a lady by the name of Natasha Kene. My case with her started smoothly, she noted that I was not payed by my employer for 2 consecutive months and made a report according to that. The very next week I got an amount in my account from my employer but something did not quite add up. Since there were 2 amounts outstanding I checked my payslip to see what the amount was and saw that it was a little over R4000 on that payslip yet the money that just got deposited into my account was just over R3000. I sent Ms Kene an e-mail that very same week stating that this had happened and if my company told her when I could expect the rest of my salary. Ms Kene did not reply to any of my early e-mails sent to her which was very crucial for her to do, I eventually got a call from a Mr Hlubi Ngamlana and was assured by him that the case would be resolved.

Mr Ngamlana is an Investigating Officer who has very little time for his clients because he is forever attending courses outside his work premise which is another reason why my case took so long to resolve. Personally, I think these people try to find any excuse to leave the office so that they don`t have to put up with all the work they have to get through. Anyway, Mr Ngamlana also did a half done job due to the fact that he confirmed the salary that was deposited into my account was in fact my notice period money but then neglected to follow up the initial salary of April that I came in complaining about. Not only that but when I sent him an e-mail which was very crucial for him to reply to at that time because it had the outstanding salary payslip attached to it showing him clearly that this salary had not been paid yet; he just went ahead and closed the case like I was pleased with the outcome. This was very frustrating because he kept postponing my meeting up with him face to face; that was the only way he was going to understand that this case was far from over. What he in turn did was make me fill out another case form bringing me back to square one, I thought to myself..."Why do these government officials get so much training when they don`t even know how to implement those skills in the workplace?" My life had come to a dead halt because of incompetent staff!

Then, just when I thought things could not possibly get any worse, Mr Ngamlana introduces me to a Primrose Maimane. She treated me like she was doing me a favor, was very condescending and was even making a mockery of my birth name. I was in disbelief...I had to just sit there and keep my composure because at the end of the day, all I want is my money...that is it. The last thing I needed was to rub anybody up the wrong way but enough is enough. A couple of weeks go by then I get a call from a woman by the name of Sandisa Sankobe, this woman is not only unorganized but she is also very ignoramus due to the waste of time she put me through. Now her job was to pick up where Mr Ngamlana left off by getting my company to give me my outstanding salary. I gave her all the information needed including 5 months bank statements, payslips and all. This woman would call me and talk to me about other people`s cases rampantly not knowing that I am not even the client in question. When I asked her about my case she said she was waiting for the IE5 forms to be submitted by my company giving the D.O.L proof that I was paid. Two more weeks went by then I was wondering when she would brief me on my case because two weeks is a very long time to leave someone in the dark about their salary.I called her and she told me "didn`t you get my e-mail? I sent you the proof that they paid you already!" JUST LIKE THAT!!
I then demanded that she resend that proof to my mailbox thinking to myself if this did really happen then why have I not seen any deposits into my account. I read the e-mail she sent me and it turns out that this woman was stupid enough to have re-investigated my closed case that Mr Ngamlana had already concluded. To prove that she never reads her e-mail, her stupidity told her that she should mail a letter to my house stating that my case has now been finalized because in her head, she did an excellent job and deserved a pat on the back!!!

That was the last straw...or so I thought it was. I immediately tried to get a hold of her supervisor, a Mr Vincent Domingo; to see if he would be able to get through to her. I first sent him an e-mail which obviously was never read because that is NOT what people at this department do at all through my experience with them. I then proceeded to try and call him; I swear I have NEVER been disrespected by anyone in government like that before which is why this sort of behavior needs to be exposed as much as possible. At the end of the day it all boils down to the corruption levels being way to high and thinking that it is okay for them to conduct themselves in this manner. What this department needs to understand is that it is defeating the purpose of its existence by letting corruption reign supreme in the workplace and I for one will not stand for it especially if we as South Africans are helping them stay in business with all that tax money we pay around here...it is just simply unacceptable behavior!!!

• Fa
    Fatima malinga Oct 07, 2018

Dear department of Labour my name is fatima malinga my ID number is [protected]. The reason for this message is that i am angry with mpumalanga in Kwamhlanga department of Labour. From november 2017 until now October 2018 i have not received my money and i am going to speak out for a help and i am going to call my lawyer . i am taking actions against them i am tired of this all. Please i want my money i dont want to wait for any System of thier. I don't want to do anything stupit. Because of i am crazy for now call me [protected]